HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Does anyone else remember when the CTV Ottawa building next to the Courtyard Marriot was an International Food Fair with a few ethnic restaurants? I remember that in the early to mid 1990's, I think it closed and and became the CTV studio in the very late 90's.
Norms Taco stand is one I recall

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Does anyone else remember when the CTV Ottawa building next to the Courtyard Marriot was an International Food Fair with a few ethnic restaurants? I remember that in the early to mid 1990's, I think it closed and and became the CTV studio in the very late 90's.
I remember there being the New RO in the location with the Speaker's Corner where people on the street could make videos and they'd be shown. It was after the CJOH station on Clyde burned down that they moved in fully to the Byward market location.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
I can't see Marriot keeping the Courtyard. I am hoping this can be redeveloped with the overall Byward Market plan over the next years. This should be limited height (4 stories) so there is a great opportunity for a non-hotel here (hopefully). Can't wait to see what happens along with that parking garage in the Market that will be replaced.
Pretty sure it is a franchise. It fills up at good rates so don't see a renovation or change of use as it would be hard to increase revenues much unless they could build substantially higher.

Last edited by YOWetal; Jun 2, 2022 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Heritage vs. housing: Panel hears arguments on heritage-sensitive development proposals

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
May 10, 2022 • 44 minutes ago • 3 minute read

Three development applications considered by a panel of advisors on Tuesday threatened to pit heritage protection against homebuilding, but they didn’t stand in the way of the projects.

<snip>

A major heritage integration project in the ByWard Market heritage conservation district also received the panel’s approval.

Rimap Development wants to convert the old five-storey warehouse at 126 York St. into a hotel and restaurant with a connecting 22-storey residential rental tower. The proposal will also require a property rezoning.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury said there’s a “thoughtful integration” of the historic building into a new development.

The Major Building grocery warehouse was built in 1913 and designed by Ottawa architect C.P. Meredith. S.J. Major Wholesale Grocers and Wine Merchants ran the building and the company eventually merged into National Grocers, according to city research.

Heritage Ottawa supported the developer’s approach to the project.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ment-proposals

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:02 PM

Excavation

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:40 PM

I think they are doing site remediation, I don't think they can dig before approval.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:05 PM

I didn't know until lately that this was built as a warehouse. (moar urban warehouses, plesae).

It would explain the high clearances in the offices that it became.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:43 PM

It makes sense to rehabilitate the existing building prior to approval. They can stage the rehabilitation where the hole will be for the additional tower, and the existing building will be prepped and ready for the final build by the time the approval process is over. It's still one of those rare times when you see a developer take a leap of faith!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:49 AM

Only the facade and bone structure remains

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:18 PM

Didn't realize they would remove part of the top floor in the back.

Rideau Centre could have done this quite easily with Ogilvy's but no, we needed more parking.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
What a shame.

Last edited by 11a2b3; Jul 16, 2022 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 10:45 PM

Something is not right here, there is no way they are going this far without approval.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:43 PM

They demolished a bit more of the original structure than I had anticipated. Did they at least get an approval for the demo?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:35 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
They demolished a bit more of the original structure than I had anticipated. Did they at least get an approval for the demo?
Structure looks to be the same as a month ago. I guess it's just a couple lads digging holes with their Tonka trucks now.

I'm not familiar with the process at this point in the game but surely if there was an issue the city would have issued a stop work order of some sort? It's far from a secret. I'd have to wager a guess they are allowed to proceed and they are just glossing over some details before official approval.

Without going over the top on hypotheticals, shouldn't it always be like that? If all that remains are some details why hold up the project? Excavation takes months and if there is a minor or even major change to the building we are still a long ways away from concrete and forms.

The approval process in Ottawa and Ontario are much to long. It's no wonder we are short on housing. Being allowed to demolish and excavate while sorting the tail end of the planning stage sounds like a good compromise to me. I'll say that with the caveat that you know this developer is mobilised and ready to go and has the financial backing to complete the project so they don't turn tail and leave a half demoed building and hole in the ground.

The SOHO Italia thread was started in 2007. That being said I am overjoyed with the project we are receiving here in 2022 so patience can be a virtue.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:17 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Approved (Sept 7, 2022)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:27 PM

I've really been liking the projects reusing/integrating heritage buildings so far. The Met, this one and the Rideau Center/old city registry are all looking top notch

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 6:46 PM

This slots right between Andaz and Rideau Canyon, both geographically, and in height. I like how buildings are stepping down into the market from the Canyon, it'll add some texture to the market skyline.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 11:10 PM

Very pleased that this one ended up passing. The pyramid design, plus the integration of the heritage building, really make it unique and will take some attention off of the dreadful Andaz.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 10:14 PM

Zero time being wasted on this one! I'm really excited for this one to give the Market skyline a little bit of depth instead of being such a linear wall along Rideau with the odd stray. This will definitely make the whole area feel a lot more downtown-ish. I feel bad for the owners of South facing units at 150 George, who have enjoyed perfect peace tower sunsets for all these years, and will now enjoy a wall. That's just part of progress, but it's still sad!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:09 AM

For sure. Happy this one will be lower than the Rideau Wall, but a bit taller than Andaz to add some depth. Fantastic project overall. and of course, we needed a developer from out of town to get it done.

Now that I think about it, all the best projects are from out of town. This one, the Marriott, 400 Albert, 1451 Wellington, Zibi (Windmill's O building wasn't great, but things generally improved when Dream stepped-in).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa