HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
At the end of the day they got the W and that's all that matters.
Nuf ced!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
That was actually Shania Twain. But I agree with your post.
LOL.

Yes when I think of Canadiana, Celine Dion would be far down on my list.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
And since the Euros generally don't play with snow on the sidelines, it doesn't follow the accepted script and is therefore BAD.
I've been checking out old England games from the 70s lately, I find them more entertaining than today Like Canadian hockey it was rough and skillful, now like hockey it is less rough and more skillful (maybe), and my opinion only, less entertaining. My point was there were lots of games played in snow or mud (or both), the kids watching today would be crying at the state of some of the fields.

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Nov 22, 2021 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:50 PM

THF might still be the favourite for the January 30 game against the US (we might find out today or tomorrow). One thing to note, they installed a new surface in the summer, here's what the Forge coach has to say about it.

Smyrniotis says the group has had ample time on the new playing surface which is set to play to the club’s ball-playing strengths.

“It suits the way we want to play a lot more than before, 100%,” Smyrniotis said. “We played some excellent football at a Tim Hortons Field but sometimes that ball was bouncing a little bit too much, moving too quickly. This new turf allows us to play a much better game tempo-wise and to really control the style and the pace of play.

“It’s gonna be a very positive thing to the style of play that we want on the field.”

The Ticats are saying this:

Meanwhile, the new turf at Tim Hortons Field, one of the busiest outdoor venues in the country, has an under-padding which the original field did not. That makes it softer to the step and for the bodies that crash down on it.

“I noticed that, as an old guy,” right tackle and 14-year veteran Chris Van Zeyl quipped. “The field is great, it’ll take some getting used to.”

Masoli said that the new playing surface is “a little soft, so it’s not as fast” but that it also lessens the physical impact of tackles and falls, so “it’s give and take.”

“We’ve had two drastically different days on it,” Steinauer smiled after Sunday’s soggy workout followed by a bright and sunny Saturday when the Ticats practised in Hamilton for the first time since November, 2019.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:56 PM

^ IG Field is due for a replacement of its rug. Now that it has a soccer tenant I will be curious to see if there is any public statement about finding one that meets soccer's needs.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
^ IG Field is due for a replacement of its rug. Now that it has a soccer tenant I will be curious to see if there is any public statement about finding one that meets soccer's needs.
October 2012 Winnipeg - FieldTurf Revolution 1US (installed previous to opening in 2013) (FIFA Approved)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I hope that when Mosaic replaces the turf that they don’t sew in all the lines. It’s very distracting.

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Nov 22, 2021 at 11:00 PM. Reason: sew not see

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Altidore to Montreal?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:27 PM
arf

Quote:
I hope that when Mosaic replaces the turf that they don’t see in all the lines. It’s very distracting.
I would hope with the loss of the CFL season and the growth of soccer in the country that Mosaic would see the benefit of an stadium that is more easily configured for different events.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
That was actually Shania Twain. But I agree with your post.
D'oh! My bad lol

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Altidore to Montreal?
Anywhere but Toronto.. for the amount of money he's paid and taking a DP spot, he's not worth hanging on to IMO. He's getting old and is injured for the majority of the season

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
D'oh! My bad lol

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:11 PM

To all the newbs and knobs who went all kittified over Edmonton and how it was an embarrassment and all that BS, I guess the US is prepared to embarrass themselves as well. St Paul in February could make Edmonton look like a heatwave. Subject to verification

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:14 PM

St. Paul will host U.S. men’s national team World Cup qualifier in February
Andy Greder Pioneer Press November 24, 2021

The U.S. men’s national soccer team is coming to the frozen tundra.

Allianz Field in St. Paul will host a World Cup qualifier between the U.S. and Honduras on Feb. 2, sources told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday.

Minnesota United has sought a World Cup qualifier in this 2021-22 cycle and have been rewarded with a game in crunch time of the eight-team CONCACAF region. The U.S. (4-1-2, 15 points) are currently in second place in CONCACAF behind Canada (4-0-4, 16) and ahead of Mexico and Panama (both at 4-2-2, 15). There are currently six games left in the region.

It’s a bold move to come to Minnesota to play in the middle of winter, with early February average temperatures at a high of 25 degrees and a low of 9, with snow and a wind chill also possible.

USMNT want to create a home-field advantage, and that was seen elsewhere earlier this month when Canada beat Mexico in cold and snowy Edmonton.

If there are issues with weather, a course of action will be determined with the CONCACAF match commissioner. Allianz Field, an open-air stadium in the Midway neighborhood, has a heating system underneath its natural-grass field.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:24 PM
ハルウララ

The difference between Allianz Field and Commonwealth is that Allianz has grass specifically engineered to survive colder weather, the pitch has in-soil heating to prevent freezing and to maintain temperatures, and the stadium has an overhang to cover the stands and partially cover the pitch. Apples to oranges.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The difference between Allianz Field and Commonwealth is that Allianz has grass specifically engineered to survive colder weather, the pitch has in-soil heating to prevent freezing and to maintain temperatures, and the stadium has an overhang to cover the stands and partially cover the pitch. Apples to oranges.
Bullshit, all the undersoil heating and partiial roof in the world won't mitigate extreme cold effects on the players or heavier snowfall. You ever go to a beach in winter, the sun rays can actually warm sand under the surface as long as there is no snow, that doesn't keep the rest of you from freezing your ass off.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:37 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Bullshit, all the undersoil heating and partiial roof in the world won't mitigate extreme cold effects on the players or heavier snowfall.
Actually it will because the difference is that Allianz in February won't be a dangerous pitch to play on like Edmonton was. It can be -10 but the field will likely be perfectly playable in the event of snowfall. That's the difference that undersoil heating and grass can make versus simply laying turf down and hoping for the best. Yesterday's Champions League match in Kyiv is a good example of what undersoil heating can do to snowfall (ie it melts the snow and maintains the pitch quality).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:43 PM

I'll agree with that except for one thing, if all they wanted was a nice playable pitch they'd be playing in Florida not Minnesota. They're doing it for the exact same reasons we did, freeze out the opponent and ease travel. Also the majority of the newbs complaining couldn't have given two poops about the pitch quality (a few did) most were about cold and snow and how unfair it was. Nobody (the naysayers) was saying how the pitch was unfair. Also where is the proof that the Edmonton field was "dangerous", Larin received a cut which AFAIK we don't know where it came from.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'll agree with that except for one thing, if all they wanted was a nice playable pitch they'd be playing in Florida not Minnesota. They're doing it for the exact same reasons we did, freeze out the opponent and ease travel.
They're hosting matches in Northern states to avoid away fans from overwhelming stadiums. They can't play El Salvador or Honduras even in places like New York because the diasporas are massive, despite the fact that travel between Toronto and New York is easier than Toronto and Minnesota. That's why they keep going back to Ohio - central location, soccer specific stadiums, and mostly US fans buying tickets.

Quote:
\Also the majority of the newbs complaining couldn't have given two poops about the pitch quality (a few did) most were about cold and snow and how unfair it was. Nobody was saying how the pitch was unfair.
Calling other people names doesn't lend much credence to your position.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They're hosting matches in Northern states to avoid away fans from overwhelming stadiums. They can't play El Salvador or Honduras even in places like New York because the diasporas are massive, despite the fact that travel between Toronto and New York is easier than Toronto and Minnesota. That's why they keep going back to Ohio - central location, soccer specific stadiums, and mostly US fans buying tickets.

Calling other people names doesn't lend much credence to your position.
Also agreed, with your first paragraph (which also applied to Edmonton). As for name calling, your constant prevalent use of emojis meant to demean and humiliate poster's posts is well known and previously documented.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada