HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Mosaic Potash Hill Centre Tower III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:29 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
One taller building would do wonders for the esthetics of the skyline. I would think a 90-100m mixed use tower right in the heart would help make the downtown more vibrant because of all the people it would bring in.
Really though, what do skyline aesthetics mean? Again, it's just a sense of bragging rights over other mid-sized cities.

You will benefit the downtown by taking that 30 storey tower, and instead have 3 ten storey towers placed throughout the downtown. Or 5, 6 storey buildings filling in vacant parcels. That sort of mid-rise development will create a more interesting, vibrant and exciting downtown. Filling in empty, un-inviting areas of the downtown with new life will bring people to the core. You can still bring in the same amount of people as you would in a 30 storey tower, but now you are bringing new life to other areas. Imagine a 10 storey office building west of SGI. That area is essentially void of any real human presence during the day and evening. Bring a new office development to that area, and you create a demand for new restaurants, retail, etc to establish themselves.

These smaller scale developments are really what can transform the area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:42 PM
Hmm....

It's all great to talk about good urban design principles here, but at the moment, drastically reducing downtown parking availability wouldn't help downtown... it would likely do the opposite and crush any possible growth. We can't sit here and dictate to people that they need to leave their cars at home; they'll continue to drive, and they will drive to places where they can get around and park (e.g. The north/east/south commercial areas). We have to try and slowly shift the thinking.

You'd have a much stronger downtown if there were a few more apartment buildings or condo buildings that don't price in a way that young professionals can't come close to affording a unit. Developing every empty lot with 1-2 storey commercial isn't going to help things. The only way it would is if they were destination stores that some segment of the population would go out of their way to visit (something like an H&M or Lululemon). I already know people who avoid downtown like the plague now with the traffic flow problems. But this is probably a discussion for the main Regina thread.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:49 PM

As well, the city needs to strongly encourage more development of housing that is within reach of the regular folk who work or wish to work and live downtown. To this point, all that is being developed is high end, expensive condos targetted at the uppeer 10%of the income bracket. Having people who work downtown, living downtown is what makes it vibrant and perpetuates services and businesses in the downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:17 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It's all great to talk about good urban design principles here, but at the moment, drastically reducing downtown parking availability wouldn't help downtown... it would likely do the opposite and crush any possible growth. We can't sit here and dictate to people that they need to leave their cars at home; they'll continue to drive, and they will drive to places where they can get around and park (e.g. The north/east/south commercial areas). We have to try and slowly shift the thinking.

You'd have a much stronger downtown if there were a few more apartment buildings or condo buildings that don't price in a way that young professionals can't come close to affording a unit. Developing every empty lot with 1-2 storey commercial isn't going to help things. The only way it would is if they were destination stores that some segment of the population would go out of their way to visit (something like an H&M or Lululemon). I already know people who avoid downtown like the plague now with the traffic flow problems. But this is probably a discussion for the main Regina thread.
Disagree that reducing parking would stymie growth. First of all, any new development is likely to include underground parking, which can offer MORE stalls than any surface parking lot.

Secondly, you don't build a great downtown with a plethora of surface parking lots. The two just cannot go hand in hand. This was the thinking 50 years ago, when we demolished buildings to provide parking, and this practice is what crippled so many North American downtowns. Once you start demolishing all the buildings for parking, what's the point in coming anymore? There's nothing left to see or do.

No one is suggesting 1-2 storey buildings (not sure if this is referencing my desire for mid rise buildings). Buildings 1-2 storey are an inefficient use of the land, and likely no developer would even waste their time. Secondly, buildings at this density are not even allowed under the downtown plan.

Don't design the downtown around the car, include the automobile in your plans, but don't plan for the car first and people second. This is the mentality that got North American downtown's into the state they are in. Only now are the beginning to recover in a lot of cities because the focus has changed to making great places for people.

If you want to change the mentality of car culture in this city, the first step is making it not so easy to park downtown. People will still find a way to get downtown and those who want to park will pay the going rate. Not sure a lot of people would be able to just avoid the downtown because a significant proportion of Regina's employment is concentrated there. Large scale employers couldn't just get up and leave because they won't find the same office space elsewhere in the city, and the City won't allow it anywhere else other than downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Well... yea it would look weird if it was... But we DO want a 30 Storey Buidling!
30 floors may be on the way.

Last edited by thefourthtower; Apr 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
can you elaborate please....

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot
Hopefully we'll catch them in time about that. Once that crane is removed, it'll be too late.
I fear it's far too late already. My preferred solution would have been to add an extra office floor and move the mechanical level up to where the elevator blockhouse is sticking out now. In that case, the concrete top would only stick out by several feet. But apparently, Harvard doesn't build things "on speculation".

I really do appreciate all that Harvard has done to improve our skyline, but honestly, if their intention was to make Tower III of a height with the other two, they could've done it the right way from the start. Seriously, is one extra floor suddenly going to cause the whole enterprise to be unprofitable?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I don't want a 30 storey building. Demand is 'x' you can do a lot of damage to your downtown by satisfying all of the demand within one development.

I'd prefer to build a great downtown, not a great skyline. Skyline really doesn't matter other than some sort of bragging rights. I'd rather say, Regina has a fantastic, vibrant and exciting downtown than Regina has one really tall building.
I thought this was the "SkyscraperPage Forum"! My name is Twrlvr, and I don't really get very excited about anything under 12 storeys. I do agree with all your points though, CCF, especially with regard to the affordability factor. I just think there should be room for a couple of residential that stand out height wise, in particular, if CP ends up flopping. Anyway, Nathan is also right in that this doesn't belong in this thread, so I'll shut up now.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrlvr View Post
I thought this was the "SkyscraperPage Forum"! My name is Twrlvr, and I don't really get very excited about anything under 12 storeys. I do agree with all your points though, CCF, especially with regard to the affordability factor. I just think there should be room for a couple of residential that stand out height wise, in particular, if CP ends up flopping. Anyway, Nathan is also right in that this doesn't belong in this thread, so I'll shut up now.
You are right - I'd say half on this forum are committed/excited about skyscrapers and the other about general urbanism.

I'm all for tall buildings, but it also has to make sense in terms of what is best to creating a great downtown Regina.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Really though, what do skyline aesthetics mean? Again, it's just a sense of bragging rights over other mid-sized cities.

You will benefit the downtown by taking that 30 storey tower, and instead have 3 ten storey towers placed throughout the downtown. Or 5, 6 storey buildings filling in vacant parcels. That sort of mid-rise development will create a more interesting, vibrant and exciting downtown. Filling in empty, un-inviting areas of the downtown with new life will bring people to the core. You can still bring in the same amount of people as you would in a 30 storey tower, but now you are bringing new life to other areas. Imagine a 10 storey office building west of SGI. That area is essentially void of any real human presence during the day and evening. Bring a new office development to that area, and you create a demand for new restaurants, retail, etc to establish themselves.

These smaller scale developments are really what can transform the area.
What I mean by skyline aesthetics is that Regina's skyline would look more interesting with even just 1 tower that stands out above the rest. I'm all for smaller scale buildings, variety of heights is important and pleasing to the eye. Maybe it is a little bragging rights for people, so what. A 30 storey tower in Regina, lets say, would be like Toronto's CN or Calgary's Bow.

As for this Harvard Tower 3, in my opinion, it would have given the skyline a little more punch if it was lets say 5 storeys taller, but it isn't and so be it. It's a beauty of a tower.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I fear it's far too late already. My preferred solution would have been to add an extra office floor and move the mechanical level up to where the elevator blockhouse is sticking out now. In that case, the concrete top would only stick out by several feet. But apparently, Harvard doesn't build things "on speculation".

I really do appreciate all that Harvard has done to improve our skyline, but honestly, if their intention was to make Tower III of a height with the other two, they could've done it the right way from the start. Seriously, is one extra floor suddenly going to cause the whole enterprise to be unprofitable?
Well, maybe they'll "dress-up" that blockhouse yet. Yes, without the Hill family, we wouldn't have as much of a skyline in Regina.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Well, maybe they'll "dress-up" that blockhouse yet. Yes, without the Hill family, we wouldn't have as much of a skyline in Regina.
I think the Hill contribution was discussions between Fred Hill and Alan Blakeney that saw government offices concentrated downtown as opposed to the mall concept that was envisioned for the area surrounding the Leg and TC douglas buildings.

The skyline in Regina has also been very good to the hills. They have managed to lock up a very high percentage of the government rental business that is relatively recession proof, immune from take over or migration to Calgary because the CEO has a gf there. Thanks are in order - to the people of Saskatchewan from the Hill family as well.

Who is to say what the city would look like if not for the Hills - the overall square footage of office space would be the same - maybe shorter downtown but maybe much more appealing at street level.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:07 AM

Well, if they dressed-up the "blockhouse" with an angle similar to the sashes, then that tower will end up being quite attractive!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:55 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
???????

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 6:39 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
???????
Highly doubtful.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:55 AM

Fcc-2

I spoke with someone today that is directly involved in the FCC-2 project and he said that the new tower will be 10 floors. He also said that the render in the leader post is an accurate depiction of the final product.

A Beautiful building it will be, but definitely not even close to 30 stories.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:18 PM

fourthtower doesn't have a source and I very much believe that he's just making it up.

There are users on here who are "in the know", but thefourthtower is not one of them.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
fourthtower doesn't have a source and I very much believe that he's just making it up.

There are users on here who are "in the know", but thefourthtower is not one of them.

Haha. I feel when he learns how to quote properly his credibility will improve somewhat.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskaboom View Post
I spoke with someone today that is directly involved in the FCC-2 project and he said that the new tower will be 10 floors. He also said that the render in the leader post is an accurate depiction of the final product.

A Beautiful building it will be, but definitely not even close to 30 stories.
10 floors sounds pretty good. From the render I was thinking it looked like 7 or 8. It will be very snazzy!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrlvr View Post
10 floors sounds pretty good. From the render I was thinking it looked like 7 or 8. It will be very snazzy!
The L-P is quoted as saying that the FCC II render is preliminary. Gawd, I hope that they ---- at least ---- stick a similar roofline as per FCC I!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan