HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 7:32 AM

This podcast is a good listen.

As an aside, a hundred years ago, I had done a small favour for Bill Vigars and in return he told me he would get me a walk on part on Night Heat the TV show for which he was doing publicity. I never did take him up on it. Good guy.

The amazing story of Terry Fox you haven’t heard: Full Comment podcast
A new book by Bill Vigars shares never-before-told stories of Fox's life
Postmedia News August 28, 2023

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 5:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif has announced his retirement from the NFL.

I never got the impression his heart was really in football after the pandemic.

You might recall he worked in the health care system during the worst of the pandemic, and eventually became an medical doctor. (The first NFL player in history to do so.)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 4:33 AM

Canadian wrestling legend Emile Dupré was a father, a mentor — and one heck of a boss
'The Golden Boy' and 'The Godfather of Atlantic Canadian wrestling' dies at 86
Keena Alwahaidi CBC Radio September 22, 2023

When you're a pro wrestler, it's important to know that there are "no days off," says René Dupré. It's a lesson his legendary father Emile Dupré taught him well.

"Doesn't matter if it's your birthday, or your anniversary, or Christmas or New Year's," René said. "He taught me a strong work ethic."

Emile Dupré — one of the biggest wrestlers to come out of the Maritimes — died on Sunday at the age of 86.

Born in Shediac, N.B., as Emile Goguen, he began training in professional wrestling in the mid '50s.

In 1977, he created Grand Prix Wrestling, a professional wrestling promotion. He was also known for wrestling with ring legends like Killer Kowalski and Dusty Rhodes.

His influence eventually led his son René to become a pro-wrestling star in his own right. In 2003, he became the first teenager to win a title in the WWE.

Emile, who was nicknamed "Golden Boy" for his good looks, had a myriad of lessons to share about the wrestling industry, René says, including that you have to "sacrifice a lot" to become a pro.

"It's not about how much money you make; it's about how you save," René said. "Thanks to him, I invested my money wisely, and I've done OK for myself. Whereas other guys I know, not so much.

"If it wasn't for him, I would've maybe squandered or done stupid things financially."

An inspiration to others

Ron Hutchinson, a.k.a The Masked Thunderbolt, wrestled for Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling in the '80s. At the time, Emile was working as a promoter.

Emile was great to work for, he says, "because he had been through it himself."

"He was definitely hands-on, definitely knew what was going on at all times," Hutchinson told As It Happens host Nil Köksal.

"There's a difference between a boss that has never done what you're doing, but expects you to do things knowing full well it may not be possible to do.

"But he knew what could be done.... You couldn't ask for a better boss. Really."

Emile loved wrestling and training others in the industry — but one thing he loved most was the East Coast, his son said.

He said his father "always wanted to come home to the Maritimes," where he eventually gave many New Brunswick wrestlers their start — including Jean-Louis Cormier, a.k.a. Rudy Kay, and Yvon Cormier, a.k.a. The Beast.

René says his dad never took cuts from wrestlers he trained who moved on to big bookings.

"A lot of other promoters might have taken something from them," he said. "But he never charged them a dime. And that's a big deal in the wrestling business."

Eric Doucet, a retired professional wrestler who was mentored by Emile Dupré, agrees that Emile wasn't in the industry for the money. For him, it was about passing along all that he knew to people willing to learn.

"He didn't train for money," he told Information Morning - Moncton. "He did it because he wanted to pass on the knowledge of what he learned over the decades of working with the best talent in the world.

"You had André the Giant here, had the Macho Man, Ric Flair — all those guys. You had the biggest names in the world, so he just loved to pass that knowledge on and tell stories."

'Godfather of Atlantic Canadian wrestling'

For a time, Emile was the only promoter in Atlantic Canada, often known as the "Godfather of Atlantic Canadian wrestling," Hutchinson said.

"There was nobody that could touch him," he said. "When you think of wrestling in Atlantic Canada, you think of Emile Dupré."

Hutchinson said Emile did a good job building "up his own local status" in Eastern Canada, bringing in big wrestlers for his promotion from the United States, and even as far as Japan.

"The people gravitated to go to the arenas and see their local hero," he said.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
This podcast is a good listen.

As an aside, a hundred years ago, I had done a small favour for Bill Vigars and in return he told me he would get me a walk on part on Night Heat the TV show for which he was doing publicity. I never did take him up on it. Good guy.

The amazing story of Terry Fox you haven’t heard: Full Comment podcast
A new book by Bill Vigars shares never-before-told stories of Fox's life
Postmedia News August 28, 2023
Toronto Mike also had a podcast with Bill Vigars a couple weeks ago. Good listen.

https://www.torontomike.com/2023/09/...-episode-1324/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Toronto Mike also had a podcast with Bill Vigars a couple weeks ago. Good listen.
Yes, like the one I posted it was a good listen. If you were old enough to be around then, almost everything about Terry Fox is a kick in the nads. After listening to the end of that podcast it kinda makes you wonder if the run was divinely inspired, however one wants to interpret that.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 7:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

If the Panda Game tradition with all the drama over the years was based 150 km to the south of here, there would be a Hollywood blockbuster movie about it and there would be people in Australia and Korea familiar with Pedro the bear and "what the fuck's a gee-gee?".

Swear to God.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 7:43 PM
The New Republic

So much drama! Ravens fans storming the field with 1 second left thinking they've won 16-15 but Ottawa kicks a 55 yard field goal for a 18-16 win.

Cities with 2 programs in the same city or close by would be wise to replicate the Ottawa - Carleton rivalry. Attendance matches what you see in pro-football. Some of these pairings below have a history to them but could grow into something much bigger than they are with a co-ordinated plan and effective marketing.

Same city schools:

Halifax: SMU - Dalhousie (if they re-instated football)
Sherbrooke: Sherbrooke - Bishops
Montreal: McGill - Montreal
Toronto: York - Toronto (Red and Blue Bowl)
Kiitchener-Waterloo: Laurier - Waterloo
Vancouver: UBC - SFU (if they re-joined USports)

School pairings not in the same city:

Acadia - StFX
McMaster - Guelph
Windsor - Western
Saskatchewan - Regina
Alberta - Calgary

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 1, 2023 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 7:51 PM

Sherbrooke and Bishop’s have something similar going, but just not at the same level. Has to do with the fact that Bishop’s is much smaller and almost consistently underperform so no one really hold their breath when it comes to guess who will win.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 8:15 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Sherbrooke and Bishop’s have something similar going, but just not at the same level. Has to do with the fact that Bishop’s is much smaller and almost consistently underperform so no one really hold their breath when it comes to guess who will win.
Yes, that one's harder although there are tiny schools that manage to get almost their entire student body and faculty out to big games. Mount Allison often posts higher attendance than the student enrolment at homecoming. Sherbrooke would pummel Bishops on the field though.

I did attend a game this weekend. Toronto beat McMaster 33-19 on a glorious sunny afternoon at Varsity.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
So much drama! Ravens fans storming the field with 1 second left thinking they've won 16-15 but Ottawa kicks a 55 yard field goal for a 18-16 win.
Is this in the running for worst commentary for a great dramatic moment.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:30 AM

Yeah, pretty bad. But you wonder if the play by play guy was the only one who volunteered for that job. He is far from a natural at it. And that's not a criticism, because play by play is far from my calling too. Some have it, most don't.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Community TV?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Yeah, pretty bad. But you wonder if the play by play guy was the only one who volunteered for that job. He is far from a natural at it. And that's not a criticism, because play by play is far from my calling too. Some have it, most don't.
You're very correct, in college, I was touted for a PBP hockey job as I was the main TV guy (news, sports and weather). Before the audition I tried calling some games off a monitor (which is even more difficult than in person). I knew I didn't have it and didn't audition. However, I am pretty sure there would be enough decent candidates for the football job especially now with people so involved with their own personal media that they should have had somebody fairly competent.

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when he mentioned their bad vantage point but still, he would have seen the ref's arms go up even if he couldn't follow the football. It was yucky.

PBP, is a funny kettle of fish. When I was a kid I hated the Habs and Danny Gallivan and loved the Leafs and my guy Bill Hewitt. Growing up in it, I later came to appreciate how great Gallivan was and can still marvel at his genius and talent today. Meanwhile, although I loved his voice and sense of the moment and excitement, Hewitt was an awful broadcaster, PBP was all he could do, he couldn't do anything else. I've come to learn he had issues that likely contributed to that and his story is fascinating.

One of my fave Hewitt moments is Ian Turnbull's five point game. On the final goal in a fraction of a second Hewitt manages to get the whole story of the night out. I thought it was amazing.

Video Link

In case anyone is interested the whole game is here and there is an interesting story behind that. IIRC, there was no known recording of the game. Many years later some guy is buying some junk and he gets a box of old home betamax cassettes. He thought he would get some old commercials which I think he was going to post on Youtube. He found an intact copy of the game and the rest is history. Going on memory, I think I have most of the story correct.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:48 AM

Stumbled across this and thought it was interesting. Lots of pictures from Life Magazine that I hadn't seen before.

How Jacques Plante Revolutionized The Future Of Ice Hockey

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 9:11 PM

Sad story

Former NHLer dies after 'freak accident' during game in England
American Adam Johnson, 29, suffered a slashed neck
The Associated Press October 29, 2023

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:03 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If the Panda Game tradition with all the drama over the years was based 150 km to the south of here, there would be a Hollywood blockbuster movie about it and there would be people in Australia and Korea familiar with Pedro the bear and "what the fuck's a gee-gee?".

Swear to God.
I think I still have a Carleton foam buzz saw from the 1994 game featuring a panda holding a beer and giving the finger.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I think I still have a Carleton foam buzz saw from the 1994 game featuring a panda holding a beer and giving the finger.
Somehow, that reminded me of this:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Is this in the running for worst commentary for a great dramatic moment
I just noticed, was that an old time Dave Cutler toe kick? In the olden days wasn't the conventional wisdom that a toe kick had a longer range than an instep kick. I wonder what the truth of that is today especially considering I haven't seen a toe kick since probably Dave Cutler.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't know if this qualifies as "Sports in Canadian Culture", but, what the frig.

Hopes high that hoops tournament in Moncton gives boost to basketball community
4 of the top NCAA Division 1 teams will tip off at Avenir Centre this weekend
Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Nov 17, 2023 6:00 AM AST | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...slam-1.7030424

Quote:
It's a basketball fan's dream in Moncton this weekend. Four teams that have all played in the NCAA's March Madness championship playoffs will be showing off their skills at the Atlantic Slam tournament.
Quote:
Sam Thomson of Kitchener, Ont., will get his first chance to play a game for Colgate University on Canadian soil. Thomson is the lone Canadian on his team, so on Thursday morning he treated his teammates to Tim Hortons.
Quote:
Di Donato said that so far, the event has been a success. Organizers have been able to sell more tournament passes than expected, and ticket sales have gone well.

But he hopes that it becomes more than a one-time event.

"The goal is for this to become an annual event," said Di Donato. "If this comes back year after year after year, that would be a tremendous success for the Moncton area."

CBC photo of the Avenir Centre taken during an old Moncton Magic NBL game

The Avenir Centre can be fully fitted out for pro basketball. Back when the NBL(Canada) was a thing, we had an NBL team. The facility gets high marks as a basketball venue.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:33 PM

Just a reminder, the teams are: Gardner-Webb University, Weber State, Yale and Colgate University

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada