HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
is it new or is it improved? it can't be both. "improved" means they made an existing thing better. If it's existing, it can't be new.
Don't you get it? It "[n]ow includes gift box!" I rest my case.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 7:49 PM

That IS creepy.

They should have gone with the one that's "[n]ew and improved!" It "[n]ow includes gift box!"

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 11:07 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
We've been over this so many times. Inga is a critic. It's her job to find fault and offer criticism.

But just as well, 1487 has a right to his/her opinion, just as everyone here does (without being verbally abused or silenced), so long as the expressed opinions are focused Inga's specific arguments of the specific project she is critiquing. Posts that are focused on her and/or her overall body of work are off-topic.

GOOD: I disagree with Inga's opinion about the glass curtain, I think it's very classy the way it is.

BAD: Inga of course hates this project just as hates every project that's not in NYC.

Can we please set some guidelines so we don't have to go through this every time she write's an article? Please.
The problem is ... I can't. Attacking the messenger instead of the message is clearly an ad hominem fallacy, but you can't tell people not to say things because you don't agree with what they're saying, or what they're saying is wrong, or is illogical. The only time when a mod can ban a poster from talking about a particular topic is when that poster's contributions have become persistently and actively detrimental to discussion of that topic, and even then, you do that after all other options dealing with the issue have been exhausted.

I will admit, a certain poster is kiting ever closer to that line. But they haven't crossed it ... yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
exactly. In all my posts I have never agreed with anyone who has ever posted here on any subject, EVER. You are 100% correct. If you don't bow at the altar of Inga Saffron you are obviously disqualified from knowing anything about anything. The notion that someone who has no real world experience in a very complex business is far more knowledgeable that those who practice a particular trade simply because they have written a lot of articles makes no sense. I understand that everything she writes is to drive home a very narrow agenda that she has and that's fine- but that shouldn't be mistaken with being a subject matter expert. Many of the things she writes betrays her ignorance when it comes to architecture and engineering. Put simply, being an architect is much more difficult than criticizing architecture. It's no different that working for a car magazine- those who are paid to criticize cars likely wouldn't last a couple weeks working as an automotive engineer or designer. I do see that most here seem to agree with Inga that decisions made about design and construction are made on a whim by simple minded people that aren't capable of complex problem solving, but that's not reality. Which is why she typically doesn't actually talk to anyone involved in the projects she criticizes. That's no coincidence. Much easier to make presumptions without any background information and then infer the developers and architects you are criticizing are lazy, greedy and incompetent. She does the same thing when talking about politicians, zoning and planning officials and even community members who don't align with her POV. Everyone is wrong or is lacking vision about Philadelphia- except her.
As somebody who has had experience doing the job she does, let me inform you:

You. Are. Dead. Wrong.

Trying to translate intensely technical knowledge into an article for mass-market consumption is hard. Enormously hard. Tremendously hard. I am one of maybe a dozen people in the city who can do it, and let me tell you what it requires:

Besides the usual requirements of running a beat (being able to write quickly for deadline ... speaking of ... procrastinating while writing this post, having a mature writing style, finding and following stories, developing relevant contacts, etc.), the job requires them to have tremendous theoretical knowledge of the field they're criticizing. This is for several reasons:

-Obviously, you can't be a good critic if you don't know what you're talking about
-Good critics are able to distill complex issues into simpler and more generalized ideas
-Good critics explain complex information needed to understand an issue in easier-to-understand metaphors and associations
-A good critic also has to develop their contacts in the field, and those contacts respect pressmen who are able to make valuable contributions in the discussion phase. If my experience is anything to go by, I'd assay that 95% of Inga's major contributions have been behind-the-scenes
-Need to ask topical questions. Bad critics can only throw softballs

...you get the idea.

Love her or hate her -- and I'm certainly more-often-than-not skeptical of what she considers "good architecture"* -- you have to admit that Inga is a good critic. She has been an architecture critic for fifteen years or more now, and if you follow the rule that somebody has to do X for ten years or 10,000 hours to truly master it, then she has truly mastered it. Whatever else she may be, she is not incompetent.

In other words, debating whether or not she is right in any given column is fine, but attacking her is off-limits. Do that again and expect to see your posts get removed, at the very least.

*Also, I would love to have her job.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 2:04 AM

People need to get off forumer's backs when they're expressing their opinions, even if it involves criticizing someone who they feel has a less than thorough knowledge of a particular topic. 1487's "attacks" were not ad hominem, hammersklavier, as he was only criticizing Inga in regards to her work critiquing architectural concepts, not just generally her as a person. There's a difference.
If people have a problem with honest viewpoints, ignore them or argue otherwise. I think 1487's posts were relatively well thought out, even though I don't agree with everything he said. He only started to have an edge to his posts when others started pinpointing criticism at him rather than what he was saying, which is natural.
Don't try to shoo people off the forum who have opinions different from yours. That's not in good taste and goes against the spirit of the discussion.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
New signage on site!

Hahaha, Please god, make sure that image does not go any further than this forum. I cannot wait to get calls from a neighborhood group claiming that our Walnut Street frontage is going to be a two story Wendy's.
Back on topic, I appreciate all the candor expressed on this forum and any and all the support that you may be able to lend to this project. All we want is best project possible that services the community’s needs. We have the funding and the development wherewithal to get it across the finish line, we just need the community support. We welcome all input... as long as it is constructive.

From the Southern Land family, we wish you a happy holidays.

-DWD

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin.downey View Post
Hahaha, Please god, make sure that image does not go any further than this forum. I cannot wait to get calls from a neighborhood group claiming that our Walnut Street frontage is going to be a two story Wendy's.
Back on topic, I appreciate all the candor expressed on this forum and any and all the support that you may be able to lend to this project. All we want is best project possible that services the community’s needs. We have the funding and the development wherewithal to get it across the finish line, we just need the community support. We welcome all input... as long as it is constructive.

-DWD
Happy Holidays! Glad to see you guys have financing. A lot of us are in full support of this project and hoping it happens. I live on the square, so if you need extra support, let us know dates/times for any public neighborhood meetings or presentations and I'll be happy to attend. Thanks for all that you're doing

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin.downey View Post

-DWD
Thank you and Merry Christmas! (and I suppose that Wendy's banner photoshop jobs don't count as "constructive input" )

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Thank you and Merry Christmas! (and I suppose that Wendy's banner photoshop jobs don't count as "constructive input" )
It's a good thing I didn't post the new Sansom Street renders then.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:58 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Can't wait to get a burger there!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:49 AM

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
People need to get off forumer's backs when they're expressing their opinions, even if it involves criticizing someone who they feel has a less than thorough knowledge of a particular topic. 1487's "attacks" were not ad hominem, hammersklavier, as he was only criticizing Inga in regards to her work critiquing architectural concepts, not just generally her as a person. There's a difference.
If people have a problem with honest viewpoints, ignore them or argue otherwise. I think 1487's posts were relatively well thought out, even though I don't agree with everything he said. He only started to have an edge to his posts when others started pinpointing criticism at him rather than what he was saying, which is natural.
Don't try to shoo people off the forum who have opinions different from yours. That's not in good taste and goes against the spirit of the discussion.
Indeed. Makes me wonder why some people frequent internet forums. Everyone isn't going to share your worldview. And the nature of an opinion writer is that they aren't necessarily dealing in facts- so criticism is part of the job. I'd say 50% of what she writes has little to do with architecture and most of what she mentions is wholly subjective. I suppose most editorial writers leave out facts when they run contrary to the point they are trying to make, but I get annoyed when people who should (and likely do) know better leave out salient points in order to drive a narrow agenda. Which she does. And I don't care how well one manipulates words or how many awards you win- I don't like the fact that she seems to to minimize or demean the work of architects. It's one thing to simply say you don't agree with their vision, but her borderline personal critiques of some firms and developers (and politicians- none of whom she bothers to interview) are over the top and tiresome. Same with this notion that everyone in Philadelphia (except her) has low standards and is willing to bless any development under any circumstances because we have such low self esteem.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Indeed. Makes me wonder why some people frequent internet forums. Everyone isn't going to share your worldview. And the nature of an opinion writer is that they aren't necessarily dealing in facts- so criticism is part of the job. I'd say 50% of what she writes has little to do with architecture and most of what she mentions is wholly subjective. I suppose most editorial writers leave out facts when they run contrary to the point they are trying to make, but I get annoyed when people who should (and likely do) know better leave out salient points in order to drive a narrow agenda. Which she does. And I don't care how well one manipulates words or how many awards you win- I don't like the fact that she seems to to minimize or demean the work of architects. It's one thing to simply say you don't agree with their vision, but her borderline personal critiques of some firms and developers (and politicians- none of whom she bothers to interview) are over the top and tiresome. Same with this notion that everyone in Philadelphia (except her) has low standards and is willing to bless any development under any circumstances because we have such low self esteem.
Are you seriously worried about your freedom to post your opinion? Nearly every philly thread is dominated by your many, many opinions and your unending arguments to defend your opinions.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:05 PM

Quote:
I found your inspiration.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:38 PM

Can the moderator please split this thread between the Quibble and Squabble, Wendy's, Shut Up and Inga forums as required?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:16 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
head meet desk

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 2:04 PM

At today's City Planning Commission meeting, 1pm...

http://planphilly.com/events/2016/01...sion-meeting-4

7. Information Only: Proposed Mixed-Use Development at 1911 Walnut Street (Presented by Clara Wineberg of Solomon Cordwell Buenz Architecture).

Not sure if anything new will be presented today ...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:45 AM

"Southern Land Co. is negotiating with the Rittenhouse Plaza's condo owners to buy a three-story annex beside their building to accommodate more retail space at its adjacent 1911 Walnut residential tower proposal."

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/p...l&id=365828391

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
"Southern Land Co. is negotiating with the Rittenhouse Plaza's condo owners to buy a three-story annex beside their building to accommodate more retail space at its adjacent 1911 Walnut residential tower proposal."

This is the building they're talking about for reference: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9504...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by allovertown; Jan 20, 2016 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:

This is good, and that storefront next to Born Yesterday has been vacant forever. I'd be glad to see it put to use. Dustin Downey, will that building be knocked down and 1911 extended in its space or will it remain a separate structure? I'm thinking the former (that's what it looks like in that new render), but fine either way.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:39 PM

I'm also glad to see that they are thinking of a gym in there. If it's solid, I'd likely join. I'm tired of the Sporting Club. They need to up their game, though things have improved a little under Pat's management.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive