HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:21 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
It would appear to be two story height ground floor retail.
Thank you, I hope so!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

154 Main St. E. and 49 Walnut St. S.

This project would see a 25-storey, 80-metre mixed use building with 267 residential units, ground floor commercial space, and parking for 253 vehicles. Right now, there's a two-storey office building and a parking lot there. The project owner is 1970703 Ontario Inc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ence-1.4809498

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:57 PM

HQ renderings pulled from the presentation PDF...

source

source

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:37 PM

Wait...that beautiful Periwinkle Blue building will be no more?! But what about the Children!?

This will be a welcomed addition to the skyline east of Century 21 (yes, I know that's not it's name, hasn't been for a long time, but for anyone that was born in the Hammer like me in the 70's, will ALWAYS think of it as Centruy 21...the tallest building in Ontario outside of Toronto...lol), and west of First Place...now there won't be as drastic a valley between the two...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:45 AM
Ham-burgher

This looks good. Hopefully the first of more things on the east side.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 6:25 AM
Hamilton Historian

It looks split level - the entrance- parts appear to be 2 stories and others appear to take up the whole 2 stories.. there appears to be a bit of a mesh wall in the back there on the upper half near the side entrance..

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:07 PM

Overall, it does look decent, and hopefully as others have suggested, it will be the jump off for more developments that will extend the downtown district further east.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:10 PM

The render gives a lot of play between dark and light. I would be surprised when built during the day (as rendered), ther will be that animation, sure will look like a dark tower. Not a bad thing, just not as rendered.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 9:10 PM

I wish they would do something a little different on top .... The animation of the rendering looks good but in reality this will be a big dark rectangular box ...a slimmer top or angled maybe would be better .... It's leaps and bounds better than what's there now but accepting this as good design is sad

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 9:15 PM
Hamilton Historian

I just wish we'd get some neon or coloured lights on our buildings like every other metropolis has - some sort of craftsman like quality that says "this isn't just a rectangular box" that you can go out at night and it reminds you of being in tron somewhat lol..

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 11:49 PM

LED lighting is so insanely cheap these days, and now the city is requiring mechanical penthouses to be totally enclosed, so there is no reason to not do this on our new builds and start to jazz up our skyline. Everyone these days knows the power of social media. It's one of the reasons we did the Hamilton sign in front of city hall. Not because people aren't sure where they are - it's so they can take pics and plaster them online. Positive social media press is huge for cities these days.

Let's do the same with our skyline

I would absolutely love to see this downtown:

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:29 AM

I like the idea of led lighting, but my time working in Toronto taught me that decorative colourful led lights are more than likely to go on the fritz at some point, and its even more likely the condo corp or property manager doesn't want to pay to fix it because it's not an amenity that's crucial to the building. The lights on top of Aura condos never work correctly, it's almost become a running joke in Toronto.

Last edited by davidcappi; Sep 9, 2018 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 1:11 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I like the idea of led lighting, but my time working in Toronto taught me that decorative colourful led lights are more than likely to go on the fritz at some point, and its even more likely the condo corp or property manager doesn't want to pay to fix it because it's not an amenity that's crucial to the building. The lights on top of Aura condos never work correctly, it's almost become a running joke in Toronto.
There are enough in toronto that are working however, and the only reason I bother to even notice buildings at night is if they have neon colours lit up on them. In addition leds technically can last forever except for the fact its the little transformers that eventually go. Regardless it's an easy fix.

Interesting historical fact - there are some light bulbs from the distant past that essentially last forever because they used such a thick filament inside that it will never break. Lights are built to break so you order more. There are some original bulbs that have been on since they were invented and have never been changed.

Last edited by Chronamut; Sep 9, 2018 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Interestingly I knew which tower you were talking about. It's one of ten in Toronto I could recognize without it being an important building.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 3:57 AM
Forever forward.

Complicated LED designs would pose issues, yeah.

But simple LED additions, like on the South Beach Condo project in Toronto, which is a rather simplistic design, looks absolutely great at night driving westbound on the Gardiner.

This is the best pic I found to show it off:

source

Another great lighting system in TO is the one atop those curved CityPlace towers:

source

Also look at Harbour Plaza and the RBC Centre.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 1:35 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I agree the Hamilton skyline needs a bit of colour to modernize it and make it standout! When something looks cool/pretty light up at night it also get's people taking photos of it and sharing it to their social media which in turn is free publicity for the city and you can't put a price on that!!!

The city should be encouraging these new developments to add some lighting features!

Have you ever driven over the Burlington skyway at night and looked closely at the downtown Hamilton skyline? It's honestly hard to spot with the exception of the Stelco Tower (only some floors) because our downtown is so incredibly dark at night!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I agree the Hamilton skyline needs a bit of colour to modernize it and make it standout! When something looks cool/pretty light up at night it also get's people taking photos of it and sharing it to their social media which in turn is free publicity for the city and you can't put a price on that!!!

The city should be encouraging these new developments to add some lighting features!

Have you ever driven over the Burlington skyway at night and looked closely at the downtown Hamilton skyline? It's honestly hard to spot with the exception of the Stelco Tower (only some floors) because our downtown is so incredibly dark at night!

Yes, our skyline is virtually invisible from the QEW. It's dark, but also the escarpment behind the skyline hides it. If the land was flat, you'd see the buildings popping out more, but instead the escarpment is the main feature you see driving over the Skyway. Simple LED installations as shown above in the various photos would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:10 AM

There was one of those huge pile driving machines at this site today.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:14 AM
Forever forward.

Moving quickly. How deep are they digging here? Considering they are building 7 stories of above-grade parking I can't think they'd go too far for basement levels.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 10:11 PM

Maybe those crane parts at 368 King are for this site . Vrancor does not even list that site amongst it's development pipeline via website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton