HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it was never meant to be more than a typical apple store

it was never possible to put an outside entrance there - unless it involved stairs - even the H&M has a staircase to get into the store from the street level

one of these days i will go and take a picture of where the apple store would be inside and show how high it is from the street

the only flagship Canada will have is set for Montreal

the rest are run of the mill stores

the ones in seattle are noting spectacular

the only really nice one i have been to is a flagship in san francisco

the other ones in san francisco area that i have been to are no better or worse than what we have in pac centre
I've only been to the flagship stores, I thought they were the norm. I stand corrected – 8 times over to be exact! Sheesh.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 6:13 PM
Site 8 Lives

What about the rumours last year that Apple was looking to set up in Jameson House? If there's an opportunity for a flagship location, that would be it!

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post
I've only been to the flagship stores, I thought they were the norm. I stand corrected – 8 times over to be exact! Sheesh.
lol

sorry not picking on anyone but i swear its like has anyone ever left their house?

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
What about the rumours last year that Apple was looking to set up in Jameson House? If there's an opportunity for a flagship location, that would be it!

That would have been a stellar location. I'm suprised by the lack of innovative foresight on Apple's part and their choice to open a retail location in Pacific Centre.

On the whole, I actually despise Pacific Centre and I would much prefer to have street front retail shopping not unlike Robson.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:08 AM

There are many very nice non-flagship apple stores

In the Washington, DC, area there are 5 (actually I think there are 6 now with a new one opening in the past couple of months) apple stores. None of them are "flagship" stores. But among them, a few look like Pacific Centre's new location (rather basic). But two of them stand out. They are in nice tree-lined street-front locations with lots of natural light and large glass store-fronts. Those two stores are a bit larger as well. So it is possible to have a nice Apple store that is not a flagship but is still a bit more impressive. Unlike most people who have a mac, I don't go ga-ga over the idea of a flagship store. But I do like their stores and products.

I'm just surprised they didn't take advantage of the potential for a window overlooking Granville Street, but I guess it didn't fit their standard layout since that area is where supplies are kept in the store. But it still is a bit disappointing, thought about that when I walked up Granville the other day. I'm still hoping they'll open another location with a real store-front, perhaps the outdoor mall area of Port Royal (is that the correct name?) in West Vancouver. That retail area is similar to the ones in which they located the nicer stores in DC.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Close: Park Royal. And yes it would be perfect at the village area. We should throw one in Metro, Coquitlam Centre, Guildford, and Richmond Centre =)

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:40 AM

I'm sure if demand warrants it, they could open a bigger streetfront store in downtown....give it 5-10 years, it'll happen. It's not like their new Pacific Centre store cost a fortune to build.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:57 AM

that little lifestyle mall in south surrey would be a great place too

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:40 AM
Site 8 Lives

How about the Kingsgate mall at Kingsway and Main? It looks to be gentrifying these days...

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:02 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
I'm sure if demand warrants it, they could open a bigger streetfront store in downtown....give it 5-10 years, it'll happen. It's not like their new Pacific Centre store cost a fortune to build.
It's Apple ... you'd be surprised how much they spend on even their mall stores. Everything has to be perfect.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:06 PM

Not relevant to the store... BUT... 3G iPhone coming to Canada on July 11th with Rogers. And if it's good enough to finally be released in Japan, it's probably good enough to buy one. Although I'm sure they'll have to add features to the Japanese phone to make it marketable... like a camera for starters since QR Codes are such a big deal there. I'm sure we will be THOROUGHLY ripped off compared to AT&T in America's $45 unlimited data, dialing, plan. Long live Rogers
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/t...-on-july-11th/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:13 PM
Vancouver User

The all-new, limited time offer from Rogers $4500 offering unlimited data, dialing, plan. Long live Rogers

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:26 PM

The new iPhone looks fantastic, what an upgrade to an already great device.

I'm fearing my imminent let down when Rogers announces their plans.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:31 PM

A lot of money spent by a company that if Steve Jobs ever quits, will fall apart. Apple = Steve Jobs and without him, the company won't last long trust me.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:48 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
A lot of money spent by a company that if Steve Jobs ever quits, will fall apart. Apple = Steve Jobs and without him, the company won't last long trust me.
Jon Ive was rumoured to be his eventual successor, and he's brilliant. He's behind almost every major design in recent Apple history - original, flatscreen and G5/Intel iMac, iPod, MacBook, iPhone, etc. Definitely has the vision to keep it going. It's still lucky Steve has quite a few years left in him - he was lucky to survive his ordeal with pancreatic cancer.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; Jun 11, 2008 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 9:37 PM

I just talked to Rogers and they said that they don't have any information right now other than what you read on the internet and all they do know is it will be released on 11 July.

What they thought will probably happen is that the iPhone will sell for around the $399 price on a 3-year term but they have to still figure out a data package and the guess they said is that it will be the status quo to now with their pricing or around $100 a month.

What's incredible with these jokers is that the phone is going to retail for $199, yet they still want to rip us off by doubling the price and then charging us an inexcusable amount of money to access the interactive parts of the phone compared to everyone else in the western world.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 10:57 PM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Although I'm sure they'll have to add features to the Japanese phone to make it marketable... like a camera for starters since QR Codes are such a big deal there.
It's always had a camera...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
It's always had a camera...
Yeah, I was thinking of the iPod touch. They need a front camera, then

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 11:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

For Video Calls? Yeah i suppose. I think it will bigger than you think in Japan, Yume.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:45 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Well unfortunately for us, our 3G network is HORRIBLE here (and in the states). Video calling won't be popular until at least another few years.

iPhone 3G announced. It's available in white or black for $199 8GB model or $299 for 16GB model via Rogers or Fido.

I'll pass on this one though: no major improvements to iPhone other than AGPS. I'll wait for NTT DoCoMo's fall/winter lineup of the 907i series =P or Sony Ericsson's announcement at CommunicAsia next monday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy