HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 6:47 PM

Rob Fleming Tweeted today:
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021TRAN0077-001050

Fraser Valley residents' input sought for Highway 1 improvements

The Province is planning for future improvements to Highway 1 between 264th Street and Whatcom Road, and public engagement is underway to help determine the full scope of the project.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:03 PM

^
Quote:
Improvements could include:

Adding more than 20 kilometres of high occupancy vehicle (HOV) capacity in each direction
Facilitating efficient goods movement through improvements such as truck climbing lanes, and truck staging and parking areas
Reconfiguring or replacing existing interchanges at 264th Street, Highway 11, and Whatcom Road
Reconfiguring or replacing the Peardonville Road and Bradner Road underpasses
Improving access and infrastructure for affordable and environmentally beneficial modes of transportation such as active transportation (walking, biking, and rolling), transit, electric vehicles and car sharing
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ghway1-whatcom

Discussion guide and survey are available there as well.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:31 PM

These public engagements are such waste if time. Everyone in Valley wants this project TODAY. Just get on with it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:39 PM

Noticed this ped/bike overpass in Abbotsford to/from University of the Fraser Valley and Abbotsford Events Centre in the document:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/tr...sion-guide.pdf

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/tr...sion-guide.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ol...4d-122.3833641

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
These public engagements are such waste if time. Everyone in Valley wants this project TODAY. Just get on with it.
Exactly: add LANES. Get 'er done!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 9:15 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
They're also the way to communicate exactly where you want things like median HOV/transit offramps to go??? (time to go hard on my dream of a TransLink 555 extension to Abbotsford Centre/UFV in the short term)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Exactly: add LANES. Get 'er done!
General Purpose ones at that. WTF are HOV lanes doing in a rural freeway anyways?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
General Purpose ones at that. WTF are HOV lanes doing in a rural freeway anyways?
I have to agree with this. HOV lanes on Highway 1 are good and justifiable until 200 Street but from there onwards they should be general purpose lanes.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 4:31 AM
Dahvie Fan

Putting this amount of time and resources into adding 1 HOV lane in each direction is insane

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 4:52 AM

The interchanges at 13 and 11 better have true re-builds. Would love to see a true fly over or two but not holding my breath.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Amen.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:45 PM
matt in the city

General purpose lanes will be clogged on opening day. They should be HOV lanes. It will make a big difference for bus travel time and incentivize car pooling.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 4:44 PM

I have multiple sides about this.

1. It might be rural but there are a lot of commuters between Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.
2. We should be encouraging people to carpool, buy electric vehicles, and take transit. I know the air quality advisories that plagued the Fraser Valley decades ago don't pop up as frequently anymore but we still need to work towards lower emissions.
3. We don't know what commutes patterns will be like post pandemic. 5 days a week in the office for me is ancient history. I know companies that may move transition to 100% work from home.
4. If anything, it'll just be history repeating itself of the BC NDP slapping on an HOV lane and then the BC Liberals will properly rebuild the highway 10-15 years later.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The interchanges at 13 and 11 better have true re-builds. Would love to see a true fly over or two but not holding my breath.
Don't forget which government is leading this project...

Liberals: Rebuild Capehorn Interchange with flyovers, brief 16+lane cross section (including the Lougheed Highway Split), etc.

NDP: downgrade the "Steveston Stack" to a "retain the old overpass" design
...and effectively delay the GMT replacement in perpetuity

Last edited by Mininari; Jun 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattropolis View Post
General purpose lanes will be clogged on opening day. They should be HOV lanes. It will make a big difference for bus travel time and incentivize car pooling.
Uh huh. Somebody must not travel that corridor from Hope to Vancouver much. Tourism traffic abounds. You're right. They should park at Hope and take a bus to Vancouver, Victoria, wherever.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:42 PM

Yeah weekend traffic sucks out there, but the extra lane will certainly help, better off/on ramps will minimize accidents ideally.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Uh huh. Somebody must not travel that corridor from Hope to Vancouver much. Tourism traffic abounds. You're right. They should park at Hope and take a bus to Vancouver, Victoria, wherever.
One thought on that - tourist traffic is probably going to qualify for the HOV lanes anyway, because there would be more people in the vehicles.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
One thought on that - tourist traffic is probably going to qualify for the HOV lanes anyway, because there would be more people in the vehicles.
And EVs with 'EV Ok' stickers. They'll get used...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I have a Chevy Bolt with an "EV OK" sticker, but rarely use it. I don't commute and am hardly ever on the freeway when it's too crowded or moving too slow.

I stick pretty close to the speed limit and feel like I'd just p1ss off the other drivers in the HOV lane if I was to beetle along over there. I only ever get into the HOV lane maybe once a year or so if there happens to be some sort of jam and I can tell from Google maps that it's going to be a long one.

I think the biggest effect my sticker has is to raise awareness of EVs, since hardly anyone ever realizes that my little hatchback is electric.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
When Electric Vehicle adoption reaches a tipping point won't all HOV lanes start losing its advantage? Soon we'll have to roll back on allowing EVs using the lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure