HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:46 PM

A Low-Income Housing Developer Swears Off Any More Portland Construction

Michael Gregory would rather kick himself in the nuts a hundred times.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2023/05/1...-construction/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:55 PM

Portland population decline????

https://www.oregonlive.com/data/2024...reau-says.html

Does anyone really believe the population of Portland has declined 3.3% since 2020? Wouldn't that drive a significant reduction in cost of housing?

Some basic numbers. Keep me honest if my numbers are wrong.

2020 Census population of Portland 562,000
3.3% reduction since 2020 562,000 X .033 = 21,516
Avg people per household 2.21 in Portland
Number of "empty" housing units 21,516 / 2.21 = 9735

New construction avg units per year 2018 - 2021 3381
New housing units since 2020 3381 X 4 = 13,524

"Empty" plus New construction since 2020 9735 + 13,524 = 23,259

By my math there should be over 23,000 extra housing units available since 2020 yet housing rent & selling prices are up over this period.

So what is going on? Is the Census Bureau wrong? Why is the cost of housing still high if there are all these extra available units?

Last edited by kawdogs; Mar 14, 2024 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:35 PM
Registered Ugly

I haven’t reviewed the numbers or have an opinion on the drop, but the most telling number wouldn’t be raw population but households. We could be losing population but the share as a percent of population old enough to form new households could be growing despite overall population loss. I don’t know that to be happening, just an observation.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:30 PM

From reading the article, it states that the Census Bureau uses information from the IRS and that the information is outdated - from 2021.

PSU figures include more information in addition to current IRS figures.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
From reading the article, it states that the Census Bureau uses information from the IRS and that the information is outdated - from 2021.

PSU figures include more information in addition to current IRS figures.
Yea, PSU's research actually show a small increase in population and even drill it down by county. Here is an article on that from OPB...

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Portland’s population decline slows, census says, while some suburbs and exurbs grow briskly

Portland and other cities in the metro area saw narrower population losses last year, new census data showed, a sign that an exodus of residents might be slowing.

The city still lost 4,170 residents between July 2022 and July 2023, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates released Thursday, a 0.7% decrease to 630,500 residents.

That’s smaller than the prior year’s 1.5% decline, a loss of roughly 8,500 people.

Portland’s population, however, remains 3.7% below its 2019 peak, down roughly 24,000 people.

The slowing decline is welcome news for Portland officials and businesses hoping to see progress in the city’s recovery from pandemic-related shutdowns, an upswing in violent crime and many business closures.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
...continues at the Oregonian.
Portland metro will get passed in size by its favorite Texas partner in crime - Austin next year. Crazy how much that city has grown.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:17 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Portland metro will get passed in size by its favorite Texas partner in crime - Austin next year. Crazy how much that city has grown.
It is but I am happy that is happening to Austin and not Portland. Portland has already gotten expensive in a lot of ways, to have an Austin size building boom going on right now would make things so much worse.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It is but I am happy that is happening to Austin and not Portland. Portland has already gotten expensive in a lot of ways, to have an Austin size building boom going on right now would make things so much worse.
Although I’m not sure shrinking our way out of an affordability issue is optimal.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Although I’m not sure shrinking our way out of an affordability issue is optimal.
Yeah that’s definitely not the solution, and I hope we return to a steady growth rate soon. I don’t see booming growth in the near future but I think the slow permitting process likely contributes to the lack of affordability as much as a population explosion.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:08 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Oregon was already short ~115,000 or so housing units, so a small population decline would be a drop in the bucket. And there are still very few housing units for sale, people aren't selling because the interst rates are far higher than what they are currently locked in at.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Yeah that’s definitely not the solution, and I hope we return to a steady growth rate soon. I don’t see booming growth in the near future but I think the slow permitting process likely contributes to the lack of affordability as much as a population explosion.
The PSU revised estimate from April this year, has Portland, Multnomah County, and the metro area, all with population gains.

The researchers at PSU stated that the US census uses different data which is older.

The 2022 PSU estimate shows Portland with a loss similar to what the US census shows for 2023.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
The PSU revised estimate from April this year, has Portland, Multnomah County, and the metro area, all with population gains.

The researchers at PSU stated that the US census uses different data which is older.

The 2022 PSU estimate shows Portland with a loss similar to what the US census shows for 2023.
Yeah it seems psu estimates are always higher than the census bureau, just the way they tally I guess.

Portland just had one of the highest annual rate increases in college grads looking for work, according to a thread in the city discussions forum. It measured where people are applying, how each city compares to its search activity last year.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
....A building boom would make things worse?

Again, how do we get the idea that supply and demand doesn't apply to the housing market?

The fact that Portland's housing is growing slowly AND the population of the city is on the decline, while the 'burbs are still growing, shows that there's still vitality in the metro and a desire to access it as a job market. The fact that the city devolves to single-family homes almost immediately outside of City Center needs to be seen as the problem it is.

What a travesty the development situation in the city is. A declining central city and growing 'burbs is a big warning sign for the Metro. If there's not a strong core to the region, there's no reason for it to stick together. It's definitely a very concerning situation; the anti-developmentalist attitude here needs to change. I'm not saying to be "pro-developer", but development is essential.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 11:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post

Again, how do we get the idea that supply and demand doesn't apply to the housing market?

The fact that Portland's housing is growing slowly AND the population of the city is on the decline, while the 'burbs are still growing, shows that there's still vitality in the metro and a desire to access it as a job market. The fact that the city devolves to single-family homes almost immediately outside of City Center needs to be seen as the problem it is.

What a travesty the development situation in the city is. A declining central city and growing 'burbs is a big warning sign for the Metro. If there's not a strong core to the region, there's no reason for it to stick together. It's definitely a very concerning situation; the anti-developmentalist attitude here needs to change. I'm not saying to be "pro-developer", but development is essential.
I was using the term in a general sense, the building boom in Austin is directly related to the rapid population growth they have been experiencing for years which is also making their prices skyrocket. It would be nice to see a building boom for affordable housing with some high end residential happening in Portland to meet the demand without having to deal with the type of population growth that Austin is experiencing right now. I would rather see a conservative steady pace of population growth that is much easier to manage.

I fully agree with you that housing within Portland should be all in the form of townhouses, apartments, and condos rather than single family housing. The city should be focusing on strengthening the density in the core neighborhoods and increasing the number of affordable housing within the city to help reduce the amount of people being pushed out due to cost of housing.

So don't confuse what I said as being anti-development, since I have always been in favor of dense development in the city and in surrounding downtowns and around MAX stations and key bus routes.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:02 AM

Quote:

Tthis trend of stagnant inner city growth and booming suburbs isn’t just a local thing, it’s a post covid trend nationwide. Sure there are some exceptions in the south, and Seattle is the only major west coast city to show growth in the last 2 years. The decline in inner Portland has slowed to a trickle, and while we should be vigilant about addressing the core reasons behind it (stubborn reputation issues, slow building permit process, taxes) i don’t think it’s a long term trend. This is the least expensive housing market on the west coast and while downtown has a ways to go the neighborhoods are still very vibrant and attractive.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:25 AM

Quote:
I was using the term in a general sense, the building boom in Austin is directly related to the rapid population growth they have been experiencing for years which is also making their prices skyrocket. It would be nice to see a building boom for affordable housing with some high end residential happening in Portland to meet the demand without having to deal with the type of population growth that Austin is experiencing right now. I would rather see a conservative steady pace of population growth that is much easier to manage.

I fully agree with you that housing within Portland should be all in the form of townhouses, apartments, and condos rather than single family housing. The city should be focusing on strengthening the density in the core neighborhoods and increasing the number of affordable housing within the city to help reduce the amount of people being pushed out due to cost of housing.

So don't confuse what I said as being anti-development, since I have always been in favor of dense development in the city and in surrounding downtowns and around MAX stations and key bus routes.
I appreciate that and stand corrected about your sentiments, but housing prices in Austin are declining in part because there's been such a building boom, and the thing is that because we've already made the big leap to having a higher-capacity mode of transportation--the MAX (imperfect though it is), we have probably the biggest impediment of managing growth out of the way, unlike Austin which can't even manage to get a light rail built, never mind the subway that it really probably needs, in the future if not now.

That's what makes Portland's failure to densely develop around MAX stations so frustrating; one of the hardest parts is already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Tthis trend of stagnant inner city growth and booming suburbs isn’t just a local thing, it’s a post covid trend nationwide. Sure there are some exceptions in the south, and Seattle is the only major west coast city to show growth in the last 2 years. The decline in inner Portland has slowed to a trickle, and while we should be vigilant about addressing the core reasons behind it (stubborn reputation issues, slow building permit process, taxes) i don’t think it’s a long term trend. This is the least expensive housing market on the west coast and while downtown has a ways to go the neighborhoods are still very vibrant and attractive.
I certainly hope you're right, and I do think that the city's darkest period is behind it, but it's important not to take that for granted. Well-established cities do sometimes end up in near-permanent declines, and while Portland doesn't have the double-edged sword of any one industry dominating its economy (unlike both healthier economies like Seattle, or Rust Belt cities that've been trying to recover for decades), that also means there's less momentum in getting better.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 6:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
I appreciate that and stand corrected about your sentiments, but housing prices in Austin are declining in part because there's been such a building boom, and the thing is that because we've already made the big leap to having a higher-capacity mode of transportation--the MAX (imperfect though it is), we have probably the biggest impediment of managing growth out of the way, unlike Austin which can't even manage to get a light rail built, never mind the subway that it really probably needs, in the future if not now.

That's what makes Portland's failure to densely develop around MAX stations so frustrating; one of the hardest parts is already done.

I certainly hope you're right, and I do think that the city's darkest period is behind it, but it's important not to take that for granted. Well-established cities do sometimes end up in near-permanent declines, and while Portland doesn't have the double-edged sword of any one industry dominating its economy (unlike both healthier economies like Seattle, or Rust Belt cities that've been trying to recover for decades), that also means there's less momentum in getting better.
While the article talks about house prices dropping, I don't think it is due to supply increasing, it sounds more like things are just slowing down with the number of buyers, which means there has been a drop in demand. One thing that stuck out to me in the article was this sentence.

"While home prices have fallen from the heights seen as the nation emerged from the pandemic, prices were still up 2.1% year over year in the metro. And they represented a nearly 49% jump from February 2020 to February 2024."

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 1:42 PM

Quote:

Seattle has an extremely diverse economy, hence why it is so strong, if that's what you mean.

Actually last week I posted how Portland had the largest job loss in the country last year, and someone here posted it's because a few companies cut workers and those had a big impact on jobs here leading to a net decrease. If true, that's the definition of a local economy lacking diversification. A city this size shouldn't be so dependent on just a few large firms.

Ultimately I bet you would find that overall, people follow jobs and not the other way around. To that end it's all about the economy and jobs. Affordable housing is just a secondary part of that equation. People flock to Texas because of jobs AND affordability. And it's why they don't flock to cheaper Louisiana immediately adjacent. Housing is secondary.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Seattle has an extremely diverse economy, hence why it is so strong, if that's what you mean.

Actually last week I posted how Portland had the largest job loss in the country last year, and someone here posted it's because a few companies cut workers and those had a big impact on jobs here leading to a net decrease. If true, that's the definition of a local economy lacking diversification. A city this size shouldn't be so dependent on just a few large firms.

Ultimately I bet you would find that overall, people follow jobs and not the other way around. To that end it's all about the economy and jobs. Affordable housing is just a secondary part of that equation. People flock to Texas because of jobs AND affordability. And it's why they don't flock to cheaper Louisiana immediately adjacent. Housing is secondary.
Seattle's economy is strong, but it's not really that diverse. There's Amazon and Microsoft--two tech companies--and Boeing, which...these days, I hardly need say more. At this point, all three are very nearly too big to fail, and there's unarguably a strong set of SMEs that, while dependent on the Seattle "Big Three", would still survive if they didn't, but I can't foresee the city doing too well if, for whatever reason, all three took a major downturn.

As for Portland's situation, I think it's probably the case that the city's economy, as a whole, just isn't that big. It's obviously dominant in the region, but not in the same way that, e.g., Seattle is over Tacoma, or Boston over Providence, NYC over Jersey City, etc. At the same time, there's arguably not a "second city" to Metro Portland, besides maybe Vancouver, which is not strong enough to stand on its own (unlike, comparing those last three examples, Tacoma [with its port facilities and JBLM], Providence [which could tie itself t NYC], or Jersey City [which is a secondary financial hub and port to the NYC metro area]). If Portland were to make a major downturn, I'm not sure where else could realistically pick up the slack.

The relationship between jobs and population is bi-directional, especially in service economies. To say it's about "the economy and jobs" is not really understanding that you can't have them without demand for the goods/services they produce. It's true, housing is secondary--that's why you can find, now and in the present, examples of places where housing is extraordinarily expensive for the average resident yet the region remains economically vibrant; e.g., NYC at the turn of the 20th century or Mumbai now.

Just the same, one of the U.S.' major sources of economic resiliency has always been the mobility of our workforce. In the longer-run history of the country, people have absolutely gone from one place to another for cheaper housing, albeit usually other factors are also involved. Once A/C became widespread, there was nothing stopping a raft of service/manufacturing industries fleeing the expensive (and cold) northeast/midwest for cheaper labor in the south/southwest. That's in part a product of cheaper housing; if your employees can't afford housing off of the jobs you pay them to do, where your jobs for them are, they won't work for you. It works out on a national basis, but that doesn't mean there aren't any regional losers in the process. The failure of the northeast to build enough housing to accommodate the workers who produced/provided the goods/services the northeast, itself, demanded, was a success for a lot of other parts of the country.

There's no reason to think high housing costs don't have negative economic effects, especially since that kind of wealth accrual doesn't usually translate to higher levels of consumer/business spending, which is what keeps an economy going. The housing crisis of the past ~2 decades or so isn't just called a crisis for drama's sake. There are genuine negative consequences to not building enough housing for your workforce; they'll catch up with us, sooner or later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics