HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:13 PM

good one.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:57 PM
National Capital Region

from Aerialphotographs.ca Facebook post Oct 19 2018
A great page to follow
https://www.facebook.com/aerialphoto...type=3&theater

While it's not the biggest building I've ever seen, the Amazon distribution centre under construction east of Ottawa is pretty large. It covers just a touch over a million square feet (about 93,000 m^2).

What impresses me the most is the number of loading bays. I count 57 so far on the half finished south wall of the building with 3 or 4 each on the other 3 sides. So around 115-125 loading bays?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:13 PM

From The Guardian: "Having tired of the amusement of watching second-tier cities debase themselves in a desperate bid for something they were never going to get, Amazon has settled on the two most obvious major cities on the east coast - Washington DC and NYC". I know Ottawa is getting something so I shouldn't bitch but it's still pretty annoying the way Amazon got all these smaller cities' hopes up only to go to NYC and D.C. Dance fools, dance!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:37 PM

It was a dick move on their part. A promotional stunt. That said, it did give smaller cities a chance to work on their own business development.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 2:20 PM

It is hard to say if their mind was already made up and this was purely a marketing ploy, or if they were open to other options, but after crunching the numbers, the obvious choices ended up making the most financial sense. They are a business and the numbers do have to work.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:00 PM

Work on widening Boundary Road has begun (adding turning lanes).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 9:11 PM

It reminds me of the Loblaws Distribution Centre in Cambridge. I think it's about the same size. http://www.ballcon.com/project/lobla...tre-cambridge/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Take a peek inside Amazon's massive Ottawa warehouse

By: David Sali
Published: Dec 17, 2018 4:05pm EST

As real estate wins go, a one-million-square-foot warehouse for the world’s largest e-commerce retailer is headline-grabbing stuff.

But it doesn’t mean much if you don’t deliver. So it’s no surprise that construction firm Broccolini’s crews have been working day and night for months on a distribution facility in Ottawa’s southeast end that internet retail giant Amazon will occupy beginning next year. Broccolini will own the facility and lease it to Amazon in a long-term deal.

The scope of the job and the sheer volume of news coverage it generated made the Amazon-Broccolini collaboration an easy choice for OBJ and the Ottawa Board of Trade’s 2018 Newsmaker of the Year award. The dizzying pace of the project has amazed even James Beach, Broccolini’s veteran head of real estate and development.

“Our construction team, you have to give them kudos,” he told OBJ during a recent tour of the massive facility, which stretches the length of nearly three city blocks. “They’re working their asses off. It’s unbelievable what they’ve done.”

What they’ve done is sure to become part of Broccolini lore. Crews of up to 400 workers a day managed to erect the building’s steel skeleton in just two months, half the time such an operation would normally require. And even that timeline was extended when the team chose to wait a few days to put the last piece in place so it could celebrate finishing the job on a Friday.

When Broccolini officially closed the purchase of the 96-acre parcel of land on Boundary Road near Hwy. 417 in early July, it was nothing but an empty field. Less than five months later, the building that will soon see up to 150 trucks a day shuttling goods in and out is now fully closed in and taking shape at lightning-fast speed.

That pace is all the more impressive considering the project, like many such developments, has been fraught with challenges.

While the land is ideally located next to a major highway, for example, it’s not exactly prime real estate from a development point of view.

To prevent the massive structure from sinking into the ground, it’s been fortified with 600 giant steel piles that have been pounded into bedrock 30 metres below the surface. The site’s marine clay soil just isn’t up to the job of supporting the building on its own, Beach explained.

To prevent further shifting of the ground, Broccolini turned to Gatineau firm Styro Rail, which manufactures a lightweight styrofoam-like substance that doesn’t compress under a heavy load and won’t degrade over time. A layer of the high-tech foam about 45 centimetres thick now sits underneath the concrete flooring.

The poor quality and limited quantity of well water near the site also required Broccolini to build a 100,000-litre holding tank with enough capacity to put out two major fires. A stormwater pond the size of a small lake is being dug next to the warehouse to ensure runoff has somewhere to go since it can’t be absorbed into a million square feet of concrete and surrounding asphalt.

Other elements have been designed with the future in mind ?– including the roof, which is engineered to support solar panels should they be installed at some point down the road.

“The challenge right now is solar technology,” Beach said. “It hasn’t hit the point where it’s efficient enough in our latitude to be cost-neutral at least. The hope is that in the next five to 10 years, the technology will advance.”

The building can also easily be reconfigured to accommodate multiple tenants, he said, and the precast concrete panels on the north side can readily be converted into more loading bay doors to add to the 95 already on the south side should a customer request them, he added.

“You’ve got to think ahead,” Beach explained. “A building of this size, you have to ensure it doesn’t sit empty. (Amazon) is here for a while, but nothing is forever.”

As he continued the tour, Beach stopped to give credit to Broccolini’s employees and the other subcontractors who’ve worked on the facility. He paid special tribute to 30-year company veteran Christie Stewart, who is overseeing the project.

“Everyone here is the best of the best,” Beach said. “A guy like (Stewart) is a great asset and is what allows us to build facilities like this on these (compressed) schedules.”

Surveying the construction site, he said it’s unlike anything he’s ever been involved with. After all, Amazon doesn’t come calling every day.

“It’s a great story, and we’re very happy to be a part of it,” he said.

https://obj.ca/article/newsmaker-yea...tawa-warehouse

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:03 AM
National Capital Region

Noticed Arnon had a sign for development lands across the street by Petrocan.

Anyone know what's happening on the northwest side of the interchange across from the offramp?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:34 PM

z

Last edited by eltodesukane; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Noticed Arnon had a sign for development lands across the street by Petrocan.

Anyone know what's happening on the northwest side of the interchange across from the offramp?
according to a few maps on a google search, the northwest corner of the Boundary Road/417 interchange is greenbelt land

https://outdoorottawa.com/wp-content...enbelt_map.gif

Personally I think the greenbelt has done very little to enhance this city. I drive through it every day and note all the extra costs involved in bringing city services that much further through forest and fields not to mention the impact of cars and buses travelling that much further.

If anything, it increases the human footprint on a wider swath of the region. Yes, in a way it brings a piece of nature closer to the city, but, I think the benefits do not outweigh the negatives.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:16 AM
National Capital Region

Just thinking.. work on North side might be for the water supply extension.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Personally I think the greenbelt has done very little to enhance this city. I drive through it every day and note all the extra costs involved in bringing city services that much further through forest and fields not to mention the impact of cars and buses travelling that much further.

If anything, it increases the human footprint on a wider swath of the region. Yes, in a way it brings a piece of nature closer to the city, but, I think the benefits do not outweigh the negatives.
Yes, I think this is clear. The main effect is that 1/3 of the city's population live 5-10km further from downtown then they otherwise would.

I think greenbelts only work if:
1) They are much narrower, say 500m wide. Just enough to give a real sense of "being in nature" and accommodate recreational uses.
2) They are much wider, say 30+km wide. Wide enough that it would really dis-incentivize folk from moving beyond it. Of course, inside zoning would have to adjust.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:10 PM

Article has a mistake, Styrorail is NOT in Gatineau, its in Wakefield.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:51 AM

Quote:
according to a few maps on a google search, the northwest corner of the Boundary Road/417 interchange is greenbelt land

Agreed. Greber and co never imagined a regional municipality of over 1.5 million people when they came up with this idea. Extending services past the Greenbelt is an incredible waste of resources in an era when consumption needs to be limited. I think the greenbelt should be segmented into parkland with valuable natural features and development land where there are no valuable natural features.

Last edited by Harley613; Dec 22, 2018 at 4:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 11:56 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I guess it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

B.C. commercial fund to buy 90% stake in Amazon’s Ottawa warehouse

By: OBJ staff
Published: Jan 17, 2019 9:44am EST

Amazon’s home in Ottawa will be under new ownership when it opens later this year, as a Vancouver-based commercial real estate fund announced Thursday it has purchased a 90-per-cent ownership stake in the massive warehouse.

Concert’s CREC Commercial Fund said in a release that it will enter into a co-ownership agreement with Broccolini, the Montreal-based developer currently building the one-million-square-foot facility on Boundary Road. When finished, the warehouse will act as a distribution centre for Amazon under a long-term lease.

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed, though Concert said the acquisition will bring the total value of its property portfolio up to $1.6 billion with more than 9.3 million square feet of industrial and office space across Canada. The fund said its full portfolio was worth roughly $1.4 billion as of December 2018.

“This is an exciting acquisition as it represents an excellent opportunity for the fund to establish a foothold in the Ottawa region with a high-quality e-commerce industrial facility, while supporting Concert’s continued national growth and expansion,” said Brian McCauley, Concert’s president and CEO, in a statement.

More to come...

https://obj.ca/article/bc-commercial...tawa-warehouse

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:12 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 6:06 PM
National Capital Region

April 2019 dashcam shot from the 417.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
April 2019 dashcam shot from the 417.

Awe inspiring

Approaching from the west it really does appear to be out of the City and even when going back towards Ottawa there is still a lot of rural land before you hit what most people consider to be the City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy