HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 10:16 PM

Something always irks me about Ottawa's city colours..

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Is Dow's Lake normally this low for this time of year?
They partially drain the Rideau Canal in winter for the skateway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviscon View Post
The browns, greys and hospital yellows?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 3:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One thing is a truism in all Canadian cities, but especially Ottawa. If there is a concrete-clad ugly skyscraper, it almost always has the Canada-Flag government logo at the top. Canadians must feel incredible pride at knowing that the government uses ugly skyscrapers to house its workers.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One thing is a truism in all Canadian cities, but especially Ottawa. If there is a concrete-clad ugly skyscraper, it almost always has the Canada-Flag government logo at the top. Canadians must feel incredible pride at knowing that the government uses ugly skyscrapers to house its workers.

I've thought the exact same thing. I think that a lot of it can be explained by the fact that there was a large expansion of the federal bureaucracy in the 1960s and 1970s where those large concrete building were what were constructed for any large office building in that era.

The government office I work at when I'm not working from home is a bland grey two-floor building that was renovated around 2010. It was originally built as a Woolworth's store, later became a Woolco with a cool restaurant and then a Bargain Shop until being vacant for a few years. There used to be escalators which I wish they would have kept to make things fun. Even the interior is quite boring and very basic. A lot of very bare walls and no decor or artwork.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviscon View Post
It gives me ea bit of a KW/Moncton vibe with the colours.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 6:07 PM

Quote:

I can't think of one in Toronto but I'm sure we must have one tucked away somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 6:33 PM

Foggy Day by chrisd666, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 9:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

She ain't pretty, she just looks that way (fugly)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 11:06 PM
I am the law!

Another telltale sign. It's not 4900 Yonge Street. It's 4900 rue Yonge Street

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:29 AM

Quote:
I kind of like it. Better than a lot of Ottawa Federal Buildings of similar vintage. I feel like this is something you might see in DC.

What's the name and/or address?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:13 AM

Quote:
I know that one. I'm in contact with a number of people who work there. I've been asked if I want to work there or even just work on a project there for a month or two. I always decline.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:03 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I kind of like it. Better than a lot of Ottawa Federal Buildings of similar vintage. I feel like this is something you might see in DC.

What's the name and/or address?
Complexe Guy Favreau in MTL.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:08 PM
Volatile Pacivist

That's kind of an interesting structure in how it's transitional between late modernism and early pomo. The structure itself isn't terrible but the urban form is lacking. A very long, somewhat squat structure that stretches a whole city block with little street-level interest on a major thoroughfare.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:32 PM
Look at me!

Guy-Favreau's main crime is that it necessitated the destruction of most of Montreal's chinatown to be built. The complex itself I find quite okay. It's far better than the 60's-70's government brutalism that was being alluded to.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

I've thought the exact same thing. I think that a lot of it can be explained by the fact that there was a large expansion of the federal bureaucracy in the 1960s and 1970s where those large concrete building were what were constructed for any large office building in that era.

The government office I work at when I'm not working from home is a bland grey two-floor building that was renovated around 2010. It was originally built as a Woolworth's store, later became a Woolco with a cool restaurant and then a Bargain Shop until being vacant for a few years. There used to be escalators which I wish they would have kept to make things fun. Even the interior is quite boring and very basic. A lot of very bare walls and no decor or artwork.
I also think the government exercises architectural restraint because it doesn't want Canadians to think they are splurging on swanky digs for public servants on the taxpayer's dime.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The warm glow of Montreal's lights...always appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Guy-Favreau's main crime is that it necessitated the destruction of most of Montreal's chinatown to be built. The complex itself I find quite okay. It's far better than the 60's-70's government brutalism that was being alluded to.
It's a common theme under Pierre Trudeau's rapid Federal expansion. Maison de Radio-Canada destroyed a working class neighbourhood in Montreal, Place du Portage and Terrace de la Chaudière destroyed huge swaths of Hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I also think the government exercises architectural restraint because it doesn't want Canadians to think they are splurging on swanky digs for public servants on the taxpayer's dime.
If they occupy/build basic, uninspiring buildings, they are cheap. If they occupy/build architectural gems, they are wasting tax payer dollars. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:08 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:23 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's a common theme under Pierre Trudeau's rapid Federal expansion. Maison de Radio-Canada destroyed a working class neighbourhood in Montreal, Place du Portage and Terrace de la Chaudière destroyed huge swaths of Hull.

If they occupy/build basic, uninspiring buildings, they are cheap. If they occupy/build architectural gems, they are wasting tax payer dollars. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
How 'bout they occupy/build basic, inspiring architectural gems? Perhaps people want intelligence and creativity in design rather than opulence. There is such thing as good design without it being luxurious, but creativity and innovation require skill and effort which
aren't always the government's strong suits. So it ends up being that the only way to do something nice is to throw lots of money at it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada