HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:54 PM

The delay in phase 2 was largely as result of Surrey's LRT. Surrey miscalculated the length of station they need for the LRT project so the plans they had approved, required The HUB Phase 2 to be redesigned after it had already been approved to allow the stations to be longer. Heck the entire road beside Coast Capital building (phase 1) has to be shifted over a considerable distance.

This likely resulted in the developer going "ok well new market conditions, let's just redesign" which added further to the delays.

But honestly you can probably rest 80-90% of the phase 2 delay on the shoulders of City of Surrey.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:01 PM

Ahh thanks for the inside info.

Good to know PCI didn't run out of money...

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
The delay in phase 2 was largely as result of Surrey's LRT. Surrey miscalculated the length of station they need for the LRT project so the plans they had approved, required The HUB Phase 2 to be redesigned after it had already been approved to allow the stations to be longer. Heck the entire road beside Coast Capital building (phase 1) has to be shifted over a considerable distance.

This likely resulted in the developer going "ok well new market conditions, let's just redesign" which added further to the delays.

But honestly you can probably rest 80-90% of the phase 2 delay on the shoulders of City of Surrey.
I suspect the main delay was PCI sitting on the site for a few years (like every other developer in the area) waiting for demand/prices to rise.

The road adjustment conveniently happened to occur within that window of waiting around - shouldn't have held up the project for 4 years.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:40 PM

Certainly gotten busy over there this week but on the SW corner now. They've dug down far enough that they're putting up retaining walls. Another excavator removing piles of earth from other areas of the site too.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I suspect the main delay was PCI sitting on the site for a few years (like every other developer in the area) waiting for demand/prices to rise.

The road adjustment conveniently happened to occur within that window of waiting around - shouldn't have held up the project for 4 years.
Not sure you're giving the disruption moving a main road would have to a project this scale. Firstly you need to wait for Surrey to get their ducks in a row as they seem to change the story on LRT daily now. So say it takes Surrey 6 months to a year to finally go "OK Here is where the road can go." and fully design that out with PCI, then PCI had to completely redesign the project phase wise.

Yes I'll grant they took it as an opportunity to rejig things to market conditions, but redesigning a project of this scale is not unreasonable to think it may take at least a few years. Remember this redesign was submitted last year and has been through the red-tape of development process.

So you end up with 1 year for Surrey to figure things out with the road, 2 years to redesign the entire project including phase 1 since Coast Capital phase 1 is COMPLETE so they need to not disrupt the hundreds of workers going in and out every day during the road move, and another year of working back and fourth with planning through the development permit process.

From what I can see they really only "sat" from our perspective for about the last 3-4 months but I could reasonably chalk that up to getting construction contracts and project management in place. This is a large development, bigger than 3 Civic in size and scale if you think about it and quite honestly if Surrey hadn't required the road to be moved for this silly LRT project, I have a feeling we'd be talking about Phase 2 topping out right now.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:34 AM

At night, I see one car at the PB and one car at KGH site. I believe he is the security guide. The lonely men stay at the site over night, protecting the developer equipment and also protect your investment or future home. It is pretty cold these days. I don't see any heated shelter at the site yet. Sometime he sit outside the car, some time he walked around the site. Salute to both of them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CI...kXZdOmlc1NmSGe

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f8...OM4d1vQlrDlCov

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
At night, I see one car at the PB and one car at KGH site. I believe he is the security guide. The lonely men stay at the site over night, protecting the developer equipment and also protect your investment or future home. It is pretty cold these days. I don't see any heated shelter at the site yet. Sometime he sit outside the car, some time he walked around the site. Salute to both of them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CI...kXZdOmlc1NmSGe

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f8...OM4d1vQlrDlCov
When I was taking photos of 3CP at 10pm I was trying to look into the front lobby by getting close up to the window. Keep in mind this was before it opened. The security guard popped out of no where in darkness from the inside and scared the crap out of me through the window.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:56 AM

Yeah the 3CP security was serious business. They make sure you know they're watching you.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Yeah the 3CP security was serious business. They make sure you know they're watching you.
They're part of Santa's surveillance team and need to moonlight during the off-season.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:25 PM

Excavation is definitely in full swing now. Drove by this morning to drop my daughter off at daycare and there were 10+ dump trucks w/trailers queued up, with 1 loading, and 3 others leaving the site.

Also have a few back hoes going and a lot of activity + they've dug quite a bit already exposing the west wall against King George Boulevard.

So looks like full swing now. And I got it backwards, appears as though the dump trucks are entering off Fraser Hwy and exiting onto Whalley Boulevard.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 10:34 PM

^Good - so only 3 more years to go now til completion.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Excavation is definitely in full swing now. Drove by this morning to drop my daughter off at daycare and there were 10+ dump trucks w/trailers queued up, with 1 loading, and 3 others leaving the site.

Also have a few back hoes going and a lot of activity + they've dug quite a bit already exposing the west wall against King George Boulevard.

So looks like full swing now. And I got it backwards, appears as though the dump trucks are entering off Fraser Hwy and exiting onto Whalley Boulevard.
They've now got 3 excavators on site with all of them filling a never ending line of trucks.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
They've now got 3 excavators on site with all of them filling a never ending line of trucks.
They are already excavating the hole for where the two towers will go, pretty fast too. The soil is nice and loose and not a lot of gravel and large rocks to tend with.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:55 PM

Current state of construction of Park Boulevard and part of the Hub- 2018-06-07

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:59 PM

Great vantage point. definitely Under construction now

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:23 PM

This is great! We get to watch 2 more significant projects get developed simultaneously. I drive passed that area twice a day and I cant wait to see how it changes the feel of the area. It already feels like Surrey's most urban center and this will dramatically make it feel more so.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
Nice! You are now the official photo updater for these projects.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Nice! You are now the official photo updater for these projects.
Done. I'll get a few of the Avani Centre too when things get moving.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Done. I'll get a few of the Avani Centre too when things get moving.
I can see all 3 projects (KGH, PB and Avani) from my window

Another new project coming this summer is Linea.

http://liveatlinea.com/?utm_source=e...mpaign=preview

Last edited by e-clam9; Jun 8, 2018 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 8:04 AM

Quote:

Is that where the construction workers for both projects park their cars? Is that parking lot staying?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley