HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
So the poll has been open for about a week now. Is this the final tally? Or is there an official deadline before a formal request is made?
I was thinking of keeping the poll open until Tuesday and then contacting the admins.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 12:29 PM

I'll vote for a subforum (like Edmonton)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 12:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just to carry on our tradition of meaningless and banal retail updates:

There is another new store moving into the Lounsbury's Centre. Jane's Gluten Free Store will specialize in services to those afflicted with Celiac Disease. This is obviously a niche market, but I'm sure this store will be much appreciated by those with this affliction.

This will leave just one vacant storefront in the Lounsbury's Centre.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

And to norshorer, I think porchmouse is correct about the Golden Eagle. There is a large "for lease" sign on the front of the property and I'm pretty sure a franchised operation like St. Louis Wings would be much more interested in the Golden Eagle property than Happy Wok. The Wok wasn't much more than a hole-in-the-wall.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Jane's Gluten Free Store will specialize in services to those afflicted with Celiac Disease. This is obviously a niche market, but I'm sure this store will be much appreciated by those with this affliction.
Niche market indeed. Talk about limiting your target clientele, on the other hand, this is the kind of business that people will "travel" a ways to get to. Hope it works out for them.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:31 PM

One more vote for "subforum "

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Just to carry on our tradition of meaningless and banal retail updates:

There is another new store moving into the Lounsbury's Centre. Jane's Gluten Free Store will specialize in services to those afflicted with Celiac Disease. This is obviously a niche market, but I'm sure this store will be much appreciated by those with this affliction.

This will leave just one vacant storefront in the Lounsbury's Centre.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

And to norshorer, I think porchmouse is correct about the Golden Eagle. There is a large "for lease" sign on the front of the property and I'm pretty sure a franchised operation like St. Louis Wings would be much more interested in the Golden Eagle property than Happy Wok. The Wok wasn't much more than a hole-in-the-wall.
Jane's = I actually know quite a few people who have kids, girlfriends, etc. or are gluten-intolerant themselves, so this is a much needed resource for people afflicted with this type of disease. As long as the store carries a decent variety of items at reasonable prices, I don't think they'll have any problems staying afloat providing people hear about the store opening up.

As for Golden Eagle, yes, you are actually both correct. I just drove past a few minutes ago & noticed that for lease sign. Had no idea that it was also out of business. Wow... 2 similar restos closing within months of each other. Surprising... especially since Golden Eagle was doing so well (the place was always packed each time I'd drive by).

Too bad we can't get true-to-style southern BBQ joints like Bonehead's or The Q (both located in Halifax). Sure, we've got Barnyard BBQ, but they're getting rather long in the tooth & I don't think they've bothered changing their menu since they first opened. I also had quite a few bad experiences paying $40+ and ending up with more fat on the plate than meat. I'm hoping that if St Louis Wings does indeed open up, that they'll have comparable items.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This reply by Mike K (the SSP website manager) appeared in the seperate section for St. John's thread. He was responding to both St. John's and Moncton as I had already broached the possibility of a Moncton subforum with him. This probably makes our poll regarding a seperate Moncton section rather moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
We'd like to try taking the prefix route for the time-being and see how many threads remain active and how much traffic they receive. We've found in the past that creating new sections that only have a small handful of active threads compartmentalizes the forum too much and makes it much less appealing.

So moving forward we'll monitor how things go with St. John's and Moncton threads.

Please prefix St. John's threads with [St. John's] and Moncton with [Moncton].

This might be an acceptable intermediate step and would be similar to what is going on in the Manitoba/Saskatchewan section of SSP.

If we follow his suggestion, we would end up having a number of different Moncton threads in the SSP Atlantic section prefaced such as:
- Moncton: Retail Thread
- Moncton: Riverview Developments
- Moncton: Downtown Developments
- Moncton: General Updates & News
You get the idea. It sounds like the website admins would only consider a subforum if we can prove steady traffic volumes on a number of individual Moncton based threads in the general Atlantic Section.

Is this the way people want to go? We may not have a choice.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:48 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I give my all important vote for subforum

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Is this the way people want to go? We may not have a choice.

So lets split up the thread and see how it goes

Last edited by NBNYer; Mar 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:21 AM

Subforum sounds good, may the sheppard lead all of us to a new greener pasture hehe, i dunno what I was getting at but...if we're going to head that way...lets do it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:08 AM

Hi everyone. We had a quick chat among mods and the consensus was to see how the prefixes work out before we move into a full out sub-forum.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:14 AM

Would it be worthwhile for the other 'big' threads in this forum to try a similar approach? (Freddy, St. John, Sydney and PEI?)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would think any thread which has a reasonable amount of traffic could be subdivided in such a manner. This would include both Freddy and SJ.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was just browsing the job listings on Kijiji for Moncton and came up with an interesting posting for a manager for a new PetSmart location in the city.

Since PetSmart is supposed to go into the Mapleton Power Centre and is supposed to share a building with Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond, I wonder if we can take this as indirect evidence that this project is now a go and that all three stores will soon be under construction with a presumed opening date in time for Christmas......

Inquiring minds want to know!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There was also a job posting on Kijiji for a store manager for a new Pseudio store at Champlain Place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - I have taken the liberty of creating a Moncton Retail Thread in the Atlantic Canada section as per Mike K's suggestion. It would probably be best that future posts dealing with Moncton retail be posted in this new thread. Anyone should feel free to create new Moncton threads in the Atlantic Canada section, just don't forget to preface them with [Moncton] to identify them as being a Moncton specific thread.

I thought briefly about creating a thread for the GMIA, but I think that would subvert the current Atlantic Canada Airport Thread. Same thing for the concert thread. As long as we don't have a subforum, I don't think we need individual Moncton threads for those particular topics.

It would be good to have neighbourhood specific threads (Riverview, Dieppe etc) and perhaps threads for individual large projects (events centre). There isn't much point in creating a thread though until there is something to post. This will all gradually evolve over the next several months I'm sure.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:05 PM

It's a bit of an adjustment to have to open multiple threads to see what's going on locally...kind of miss having it in one and just scrolling through...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:24 PM

Hopefully it will encourage more discussion, by preventing a post being missed in the middle of a bigger discussion in the general thread (for example).

It might be worthwhile to set up a "Table of Contents" post that the mods can sticky with links to the various thread.

For example something like:

New Brunswick:
Moncton:
Downtown
Riverview
Sackville
Retail
etc....

Saint John:
Downtown
Retail

Fredericton:
North Side
South Side
Oromocto
Retail

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:48 PM

Now that would be better...certainly would be helpful.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The usual disclaimer applies - I did not get this article from the Brunswick News website

Events centre fits well with plan: mayor
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Times & Transcript
By Brent Mazarolle

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc says the goal of building a new multi-purpose events centre in the core of the city dovetails nicely with the city's proposed new municipal plan.

The draft PlanMoncton document - which will be the subject of a public hearing at Moncton City Hall on April 5 - calls for a revitalized downtown core that is vibrant and welcoming not just during the day, but on nights and weekends as well.

LeBlanc says the idea of an arts, entertainment, culture and sports complex at the heart of downtown meets the goals of the proposed plan, clustering people in the centre rather than seeing them scattered in venues throughout the city.

The fact that the proposed facility may not be explicitly addressed in great detail in the document is something 'I wouldn't see as a cause for concern,' LeBlanc said.

In fact, 'it would be unusual for such a document to mention a specific development,' the mayor said, emphasizing municipal plans generally look at city issues from a 10,000-foot perspective.

LeBlanc said he and others remain committed to making an events centre a reality, even though the city was disappointed last fall in its quest to get some federal cost-sharing for the project.

With numerous public opinion polls overwhelmingly supporting the construction of a new centre, not to mention support from organizations like Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Incorporated, the mayor is refusing to give up.

Asked if there has been any departure from the goal, he said, 'not a bit.' One man among the thousands who have called for the city to build a new facility that would supercede but not completely replace the aging Moncton Coliseum has a bit more direct interest than others.

Metro Moncton businessman Robert K. Irving is owner and president of the Moncton Wildcats, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team that is the anchor tenant at the Coliseum and would be the anchor tenant in a new facility.

Beyond the benefits a new facility would bring the team, Irving sees the events it would host as having benefits extending well beyond just hockey.

'I think that it would really revitalize downtown in terms of people coming from out of the city who would visit the downtown more. It would create more activity for the different businesses in the downtown,' he said.

'People would be going downtown when they wouldn't for other reasons.' Asked if he was frustrated by the years that have come and gone without final decisions being made and ground being broken, the veteran businessman was perhaps more philosophical than many a fan of entertainment, the arts and sports has been over the decade or so that the conversation about dealing with the aging Coliseum has been happening.

'It has to go through a certain process. I guess the process is taking longer than what most people thought it would take,' he said.

Of course, 'all parties who are involved have to feel confident with the decision that has been made.' Meanwhile, the Wildcats - not to mention musical acts and the city's professional basketball team, the Moncton Miracles - will continue to use the Coliseum, where Irving says there is one big problem in particular.

'We always are battling the city for ice time, whether it be regular season or playoffs,' he said. In the past, the Wildcats have had to hold normally lucrative playoff games - the times when most sports teams make their money - in the relatively tiny J-Louis Levesque Arena. 'It's a big challenge for us,' Irving said. 'The league says Moncton is one of the most difficult for ice time.'

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Again, not from the Brunswick News website

Soccer game to be 'showcase event' for Moncton
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Cole Hobson

Canada versus China match on May 30 expected to lead to bigger opportunities for the city, according to Canadian soccer journalist

A leading Canadian soccer journalist believes Moncton's hosting of an international game in May is a 'showcase event' for bigger things for the Hub City and will stir up cross-Canada excitement amongst fans of the sport.

Daniel Squizzato is a Torontobased writer who is a founding member of CanadianSoccerNews.

com. He has been covering Canada's national soccer teams for the last few years and believes the May 30 contest between the Canadian women's national team and China at Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium is sure to draw lots of attention from the soccer world.

'I imagine people who are in Moncton and in New Brunswick and in the Maritimes don't need any help from me to get excited about an event like this. There is an excitement around it as well because it is shortly before the Olympics,' he said. 'Canada has qualified for the tournament in Olympic soccer and that is probably going to be one of their last games before they go out to London to participate. Knowing that a team will be playing on Canadian soil so close to the Olympic games, I think it's an exciting opportunity for people in Moncton and all fans of the team.' Squizzato also believes the exhibition game will serve as a barometer for the city, in terms of drawing higher-profile soccer competitions in the future.

'It looks as though Moncton is pretty likely to be one of the host cities for the Women's World Cup in 2015, however, putting on a good show in a friendly such as this could be the difference between the city being awarded games ... with teams that no one really cares much about or potentially hosting games with the Canadian team down the road in 2015,' he said. 'Because obviously the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) is going to look for the host city that has the right facilities, that can provide the right atmosphere, that can sell tickets … If Moncton can put its best foot forward in a friendly such as this, when the time comes for the CSA to decide what cities might host what games come 2015, that would definitely put Moncton in a very positive light as far as that's concerned.' Soccer fans are also well known for their willingness to travel to support their home teams. However, Squizzato said he doesn't anticipate widespread travel from all across Canada for the game, as there are previously announced matches featuring the men's national team in Cuba and the United States within a few weeks of the Moncton game that are likely to have a lot of Canadian soccer fans traveling abroad to attend. That being said, the soccer writer thinks the game will still draw a big crowd of non-Monctonbased supporters.

'Moncton being where it is just geographically, I think it's reasonable to assume that there will be fans coming in from other provinces, to get the chance to see one of our national teams play live, which is something that we as Canadians, wherever we may live, we don't get many opportunities to do,' he said.

One soccer fan planning to travel a distance for the game is Stephanie Yang, who lives in Boston. Interestingly enough, Yang is American, but has developed an affinity for the Canadian women's national team and plans to cross the border and head to Moncton to support the squad.

'(Moncton's) proximity to Boston (is why I'm attending) and the rarity of Canadian women's national team games in North America,' she said. 'Not only are they playing in Boston this month, but also in Moncton - quite a gift. I don't want to miss the opportunity.' Yang said she's looking forward to supporting the team and doesn't mind having to drive a long distance to do it.

'It's exciting to see the team being highlighted anywhere in Canada,' she said. 'I'll always regret not being able to see the team in Vancouver during CONCACAF qualification (in January). Just watching the game against Mexico and the raw emotion of getting a win like that in front of a home crowd was incredibly stirring.' Squizzato was also the originator of a September 2010 petition to get the CSA to bring the men's national team to Moncton. While he's still hopeful that will come to fruition, he said the women's national team game is a good step, made possible by Moncton's infrastructure.

'I think that a big factor when it comes to Canadian soccer is venues. We really don't have a very large number of soccer-specific or soccersuitable venues in the country. I think the thing that instantly put Moncton on the map and got me interested in the idea of having a national team game there was when they built the new stadium,' he said.

Squizzato points out that even Toronto wasn't a hotbed for international soccer activity before BMO Field was built in 2007.

'Toronto went for the better part of 10 years ending earlier this decade without really hosting any games of the men's or women's national teams … and since then (BMO Field) has become the de facto home base for the men's national team,' he said. 'How this relates to Moncton is prior to 2010 when the stadium was built, not many people, CSA included, probably would have considered Moncton as a place to play a friendly or as a host city for the 2015 Women's World Cup.' While Toronto obviously dwarfs Moncton in terms of population, Squizzato points out that there are parallels between the two cities in terms of what can be hosted after the proper facilities are in place.

'In the race for 2015, Moncton already has a definitive leg up over a city like Halifax, based on the fact that it has a stadium and if this friendly against China goes off well and attracts a good crowd, that will be one more element in Moncton's favour as you look to 2015,' he said.

Even if you don't follow women's soccer or the Canadian national team, Squizzato points out that the Moncton game will be an opportunity for the local sporting world to get a first-hand look at top-notch athletes.

'If nothing else the game is important and exciting because of the opportunity to see a player like Christine Sinclair play live. Canadians don't always want to talk up their own athletes, we feel bashful, we feel polite, we feel that it's not appropriate to toot our own horns in that way, but Christine Sinclair, captain of the women's national team, is undisputedly one of the best women's soccer players on the planet,' he said. 'By the time she retires she is most certainly going to be the all-time leading international goal scorer in soccer history, men's or women's. To be able to see a player of that calibre suit up for her national team on home soil … while she's still in her prime, is a good opportunity for young female players and anybody who appreciates the game of soccer.' Tickets for the game will be available next month.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:41 PM

I hope that this game is supported well, it would be another boon for the city to have the Women's World Cup come here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces