HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:03 AM

The bottom line is that, while running a balanced operational budget, the Liberals have committed BC to incredible long term debts for all kinds of things. They've starved BC Hydro and forced them into the same position.

I'm sure, conveniently for them, BC's credit rating will only drop once they are out of power, but entirely from their actions.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Remember how the BC Fiberals sold themselves as the fiscally responsible party? Not!

Despite balanced budgets, Liberals have made B.C. Canada’s most indebted province

...According to well-respected economist Erik Andersen, the Liberal government has failed most British Columbians.

“The Liberal government has already made B.C. Canada’s most indebted province,” wrote Anderson. “Projects like Site C, which Premier Christy Clark is shown announcing here, will only make matters worse.”

According to the Auditor General of this province, “BC Hydro owes $101 billion, of “contingencies and contractual obligations” posted a year past. “These obligations come from BC Hydro’s commitments to buy power from private suppliers at far above market rates, and from other infrastructure built under public-private arrangements.“As such, it is in addition to our conventional debt and hidden from public view.”

B.C. has the dishonour of having the largest total of this type of debt of all the provinces and about 75 per cent of what is shown for the Government of Canada.

Hands-down, B.C. wins the race to be the most indebted province in Canada (see page 40 in the Auditor General’s report dated Feb. 2017). Anderson goes on to state that, “When the Standards and Poor report was issued last year, B.C.’s total financial liabilities increased from $117.8 billion to a staggering $185.7 billion.”...

http://www.osoyoostimes.com/despite-...bted-province/

And then there's their plundering of ICBC:

...The Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC) is another story of public assets plundered in the name of a balanced budget and that cherished credit rating.
Financial regulators have set a standard that says an insurance company must hold reserves to pay claims equal to 130 per cent of its outstanding liabilities.
ICBC’s reserves have been diverted by the government. The corporation needs a cool $1 billion in cash from its shareholder, the provincial government immediately, or it must raise its premiums by about 40 per cent. By law, automobile owners and drivers must use ICBC for basic insurance. Thus, as driver or taxpayer, you and I will get to pay the bill...

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/op...dfbaf956c.html

The NDP may regret forming government yet!
Come on whatnext. You are wayyyy better than that.

You post a letter to the editor from some unknown fella in the Boundary community of Midway addressed to the Osoyoos Times full of ideological rhetoric?

FWIW, the contents therein are either non-factual or out of context and are ideologically-based. Basically a "low information" ideological voter who has no understanding of GAAP accounting (as well as various public accounting practices across CA provincial jurisdictions) and has no understanding of public finance, comparatively speaking, across CA provinces.

"well-respected economist Erik Andersen"? By whom? Andersen, for years has been ideologically left-wing posting stuff that's wayyyyyy out there from centrist norms. Moreover, Erik Andersen is also an activist - his latest activism is leading the charge against the proposed Woodfibre LNG facility in Squamish.

Might as was well toss this "letter to the editor" into your garbage basket.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 3:32 AM

So we now know when the commencement date of the next legislative sitting - June 22.

I suspect that the Speaker matter will eventually be resolved before the sitting begins.

The Libs will introduce their Throne Speech and a subsequent vote will be held to test the "confidence of the House". Undoubtedly, the Libs will fall as a result.

Accordingly, CC will then submit her preem resignation letter to the LG and advise the LG to call upon Horgan/Weaver to form gov't.

BTW, CC will still remain the LG's 1st minister until another has been sworn in (read: Horgan). Involves the doctrine of continuity.

And this is where matters become quite interesting, which I have repeated over again ad nauseum.

The key issue for the LG is stability. The LG must be satisfied that the 43 + 43 + 1 Speaker legislature will last for at least one year. Most constitutional & poli sci experts consider the GreeNDP accord "precarious".

Whatever the LG decides upon, it will set a precedent in the Westminster system. Yesterday morning, Global TV's Keith Baldrey, on CHNL, stated that every vice-regal counterpart across the entire British Commonwealth from Kenya to elsewhere will be following the BC LG's decision closely as it will set new precedent.

Even BC NDP leader Horgan yesterday told News1130:

Quote:
“We don’t know what the lieutenant governor will do."
Another indication of how complex the LG matter really is.

The LG may well grant the GreeNDP to form minority gov't.

But what if the LG decides to reject same as she is not satisfied that it is either "stable" or would not last at least one year? What happens next?

CC still remains the LG's 1st minister and the LG always seeks advice from her 1st minister - the LG may accept or reject same but the LG does not act unilaterally.

2 possible points of advice that CC could then offer the LG:

1. Dissolve the House (new election) - CC has already publicly stated that she will not advise the LG as such. Moreover, federal GG Jean precedent was "would be irresponsible to call another election within 6 months".

2. Advise the LG that an an arrangement with Weaver/Greens may be possible. Remember that Weaver was also in negotiations with the Liberals post-election and stated publicly that stability was his main goal. Such an arrangement would result in a 45 - 41 + 1 Speaker scenario, which would likely satisfy the LG's requirements for stability for at least one-year.

That said, don't expect the Greens to enter into the same detailed accord they entered into with the NDP. All the written arrangement would require is for the Greens to abstain (not support) confidence and supply bills for at least one year. That's it. Weaver/Greens certainly don't want another election either.

Again, IF the LG does not accept the GreeNDP accord, this will be the likely next scenario IMHO.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 6:01 AM
See ya down under, mates

There is zero chance the LG rejects the NDP/Greens.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 6:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post

You post a letter to the editor from some unknown fella in the Boundary community of Midway addressed to the Osoyoos Times full of ideological rhetoric?

FWIW, the contents therein are either non-factual or out of context and are ideologically-based. Basically a "low information" ideological voter who has no understanding of GAAP accounting (as well as various public accounting practices across CA provincial jurisdictions) and has no understanding of public finance, comparatively speaking, across CA provinces.

"well-respected economist Erik Andersen"? By whom? Andersen, for years has been ideologically left-wing posting stuff that's wayyyyyy out there from centrist norms. Moreover, Erik Andersen is also an activist - his latest activism is leading the charge against the proposed Woodfibre LNG facility in Squamish.

So let me ask this....are arguments only "ideological" when they are "left wing"?? Could one also argue that government budgets are generally "balanced" on the "backs of the working poor"; folks who are marginalized by the contracting structural/employment nature of the capitalist market place/labor force etc.??

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:

As usual, whenever facts are brought up, you resort to talking down to people as if they have no idea what they are talking about. At the same time, you never present facts or logical arguments of your own, only "trust me, dummy, I know the truth".

All of your posts on here remind me of "letters to the editor" and of course:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
There is zero chance the LG rejects the NDP/Greens.
Sounds more akin to a rambling political statement.

If ya wanna make such an unqualified, blanket statement, then ya better point to some constitutional expert evidence qualified in the Westminster system. Ya can't!

OTOH, I have already pointed to 2 such constitutional expert opinions in the Westminster system - Ron Cheffins and Philippe Lagassé‏.

The LG's constitutional role here is exactly that - constitutional. And the LG has numerous constitutional advisors advising her on the GreeNDP accord. One way or another it will set a precedent within the Westminster system.

BTW, Andrew Weaver of the Greens requested the assistance of poli sci guy Norman Spector at the tables of both the NDP/Libs during post-election negotiations. Spector knew exactly what was going on.

Last Thursday, Spector posted this Tweet:

Quote:
Norman Spector‏ @nspector4 Jun 8

Speaker issue is a hole Horgan and Weaver dug for themselves [it gets deeper if they fail 2 get a Lib 2 cross as they expected]
Read between the lines thereto.

Last edited by Stingray2004; Jun 11, 2017 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
As usual, whenever facts are brought up, you resort to talking down to people as if they have no idea what they are talking about. At the same time, you never present facts or logical arguments of your own, only "trust me, dummy, I know the truth".

All of your posts on here remind me of "letters to the editor" and of course:
Bwahahahahaha. Of course, you are still ol' Warren. That's all that needs to be said.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
So let me ask this....are arguments only "ideological" when they are "left wing"?? Could one also argue that government budgets are generally "balanced" on the "backs of the working poor"; folks who are marginalized by the contracting structural/employment nature of the capitalist market place/labor force etc.??
We reside in a free market, liberal democracy. Whenever someone utilizes the term "capitalist"... right there a red flag jumps out at me for obvious reasons.

You are from California. California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. outta 50 states. If I were you, I would stick to solving problems within your own jurisdiction. Quite frankly.

As for BC? 6 separate demographic profiles/tax brackets are extant within every BC budget in terms of overall taxation costs (fed/prov taxes, sales tax, fuel tax, health premiums, carbon taxes, etc.) - the whole gambit. In terms of the lowest income earners, BC has the 2nd lowest overall taxation regime in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:47 AM

^^^ Stingray preach, lol @ California, what a sad fall from greatness.

Port Moody is going to see its Burrard Gas plant closed, another victim of BC Hydro's partnership with third parties.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 4:29 PM

California is the world's 5th largest economy. They're doing ok.

Their poverty rate only goes to number one if you consider how expensive it is to live there. Otherwise it's 35th.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:17 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Sounds more akin to a rambling political statement.
Did you, forums poster Stingray 2004, just accuse my one sentence post of being rambling? lololol

Keep on being wrong my friend.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:54 PM
Rational urbanist

The LG wanting to call another election is a hell of a lot more likely than the Greens just switching to the Liberals. There is absolutely no way they would do that. It would destroy them.

But yeah, there's really no chance the LG rejects the NDP and Greens. It's the only logical option.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:46 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
^^^ Stingray preach, lol @ California, what a sad fall from greatness.

Port Moody is going to see its Burrard Gas plant closed, another victim of BC Hydro's partnership with third parties.
Why wouldn't they close it?

It's basically an emergency backup. They built another set of power lines to replace that, so even if one set of lines go down, then the Lower Mainland still has enough power.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:

You're attacking the man but can you attack his facts? Basically the Fiberals used Hydro and ICBC as a dividend slot machine - pull the handle and take money out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post

It's basically an emergency backup. They built another set of power lines to replace that, so even if one set of lines go down, then the Lower Mainland still has enough power.
Yeah a bunch off expensive lines purchasing stupid expensive energy from third party producers. Just keep the Burrard Terminal as a back-up which has a low cost of production.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post

Selling the valuable land no doubt. BC Hydro is cash poor. Cheaper to buy on the open market if/when we need it.

That said, I don't know how much it was actually used in recent years.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:16 AM
waves

I recently had a tour of Powerex and they had said the plant was closing because it was too old to function as intended. Natural gas is best used to supplement the power demand in times of peak demand, but the facility at Burrard is so old it takes way too long to power up to full capacity that by the time it reaches the needed power levels the peak demand has already passed.

Now they could rebuild it to the efficiency and quickness of new technology Natural Gas plants however, the capital cost combined with the production cost is not worth it over simply purchasing the power from elsewhere in the open market.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:15 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Selling the valuable land no doubt. BC Hydro is cash poor. Cheaper to buy on the open market if/when we need it.

That said, I don't know how much it was actually used in recent years.
Almost never.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:25 PM

Am I right that the site likely has a contamination issue?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics