HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Hopefully this fire could shine a light on the negligent landlords on this street again and we can get a renewed focus on getting all these properties that aren't in good shape in better shape..
Exactly. I'm a big fan of Canal Street and a proponent for its revitalization. I know there's hope with projects such as the ones discussed on here but the continuation of the street being dominated by low end electronic and luggage shops and thsirt/liquor joints with wasted space above has always frustrated me. I would love to see a nice urban grocery store come in once more of these new multifamily projects are completed.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
Exactly. I'm a big fan of Canal Street and a proponent for its revitalization. I know there's hope with projects such as the ones discussed on here but the continuation of the street being dominated by low end electronic and luggage shops and thsirt/liquor joints with wasted space above has always frustrated me. I would love to see a nice urban grocery store come in once more of these new multifamily projects are completed.

The people holding Canal Street's development back are the building owners who, for whatever reason, refuse to sell or fix up these historical buildings. And when the inspectors come by these same landowners will take the notices/fees they receive and throw them away, knowing there's nothing the city can do (or will do) about it.

This really is why the city suffers so much from blight -- lax enforcement, barely any punishment, and bad property owners. It's so sad and yet we're stuck with it.

I'm hoping this particular case leads to criminal prosecutions for Motwani. No smoke alarms or sprinklers? If true, then that's gross negligence and just plain dangerous to everyone who works or visits that building.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:21 PM

I certainly hope the facades can be saved, but given the extent of damage to the overall structures that may not be the case. If the facades cannot be saved, that is a pretty large piece of property to be redeveloped. Hopefully, any redevelopment would honor the aesthetic of that block.

It's definitely gross mismanagement to not have sprinklers or even an alarm system in place for these buildings. Very glad that nobody was injured or killed due to this fire, and that the fire did not spread to the Orpheum.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:24 PM

This kind of goes back to my point about all the buildings with vacant upper floors. Who knows how many of them are like this without sprinkler systems or fire alarms. Such a shame that a historic building has been lost because of negligence.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:46 PM

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...al-businessman

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ot-have-alarms

Here's confirmation of no fire-suppression system and also goes into a bit of the background of Motwani. Truly is sad to see that this could've been prevented or at least the damage minimized. The second story talks more about the lack of a fire-prevention system.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 10:30 PM

On the plus side, I see that the new 4 screen theater on N Broad St is hiring. Looks like they'll be opening in a few weeks!

Original article... (I replaced my original link announcing the project with this, today's job posting on WorkNOLA)
https://worknola.com/broad-theater/h...-broad-theater

Last edited by FenderOz; Jan 28, 2016 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 12:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWXGuy1208 View Post
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...al-businessman

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ot-have-alarms

Here's confirmation of no fire-suppression system and also goes into a bit of the background of Motwani. Truly is sad to see that this could've been prevented or at least the damage minimized. The second story talks more about the lack of a fire-prevention system.
Not to always be such an optimist but I really believe this event can lead to a lot of good things. You can be sure the neighbors will be suing motwani. Also, for 90 minutes a fire is burning in your building before the alarm goes off? Can y'all imagine if this had happened this weekend or the next with Parades passing in front of them? I'm hoping they go after him and every other owner on that street that doesnt have adequate fire protection that they are required to have. They are literally putting lives at risk. I know id be suing the crap out of my neighbor if my house burns down because they have been negligent on fire code.I was so glad it wasn't my house burning this morning because I know squatters can start fires to keep warm in buildings, especially ones under construction like mine or vacant buildings.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 28, 2016 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 12:50 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
How does that happen? I can't imagine it isn't a code requirement. Is enforcement really that bad?
ALot of times these older buildings dont have to update their fire suppression systems. SO this is what happens but it appears not only did he not have sprinklers but the alarm which is supposed to by law activate within minutes didnt go off until 90 minutes after the fire started. Thats unacceptable and should lead to some pretty serious charges against the owner.

Looks like the Jung's Garage part finished up today(my house in the pics as well):

Also is it me or is the radio mast on top the Jung being dismantled? seems like its mostly gone?

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 28, 2016 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:24 PM

Hey Tennis,

Saw on your blog the permit to convert 1770 Tchoupitoulas St warehouse (37,000 sf) to a self-storage facility. Wasn't that building they were converting into the Lykes Steamship apartments a couple years ago?

I'm wondering if they ever completed the project or did it just fail? It was supposed to help provide more affordable housing.

2013 article about the original project:
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/..._unveil_p.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Hey Tennis,

Saw on your blog the permit to convert 1770 Tchoupitoulas St warehouse (37,000 sf) to a self-storage facility. Wasn't that building they were converting into the Lykes Steamship apartments a couple years ago?

I'm wondering if they ever completed the project or did it just fail? It was supposed to help provide more affordable housing.

2013 article about the original project:
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/..._unveil_p.html
The project did come to fruition - here's the website: http://yourlykes.com/

The commercial tenant is this rock climbing gym: http://climbnobl.com/

The space that's being converted to storage was not part of the original development - it's part of the same square, but it fronts on Nuns and S. Peters Streets.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
The project did come to fruition - here's the website: http://yourlykes.com/

The commercial tenant is this rock climbing gym: http://climbnobl.com/

The space that's being converted to storage was not part of the original development - it's part of the same square, but it fronts on Nuns and S. Peters Streets.
Thats correct this part of the building just front a non descript street in the back and has been basically empty for many decades. Nothing too special but better than a rotting building I guess.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:24 PM

Awesome info, guys. Good to hear the empty space is filling up. Even if it's just a storage depot that's taking over.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:00 AM
-

hahahah well I guess its better late than never!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 4:16 PM

New Development

Hey Tennis, do you have any info on a new development in the 4400 block of Chef Menteur across from Walmart?

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 5:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Hey Tennis, do you have any info on a new development in the 4400 block of Chef Menteur across from Walmart?

Thanks!
This is what I found in that area:

4000 Chef Menteur Hwy·Change of Use · Permit #15-36462-CUSE ·Ref Code: 8WUZ7T
Download (5) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Bethel Community Baptist Church Inc
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
12/7/2015 2:44:38 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Conversion of existing building to coffee shop as per sketch and SFM approval.

4242 Chef Menteur Hwy, Unit E·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: C332R8
Download (15) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Casco
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/21/2015 4:46:53 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant build-out of vacant shell into retail use as per plans. Installation of new paint, checkouts, offices, reach-in F/C; walk-in F/C and employee area. (Dollar Tree)

4940 Chef Menteur Hwy·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: BL7WT4
Download (10) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
W.Charles HOLLAND
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
10/1/2015 1:18:09 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate existing hotel as per plans.

I assume this is the one you are asking about... Looks like retail center with one of tenants being a dollar tree

4242 Chef Menteur Hwy, N/A·New Construction · Permit #15-29276-NEWC ·Ref Code: 2NL15T
Download (14) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Tyler Hutcherson
Permit Approval Letter
Date Filed:
9/30/2015 2:00:39 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 29,920 sf retail center as per plans and DR074-15.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 2:41 AM

Quote:
I assume this is the one you are asking about... Looks like retail center with one of tenants being a dollar tree

4242 Chef Menteur Hwy, N/A·New Construction · Permit #15-29276-NEWC ·Ref Code: 2NL15T
Download (14) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Tyler Hutcherson
Permit Approval Letter
Date Filed:
9/30/2015 2:00:39 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 29,920 sf retail center as per plans and DR074-15.

That's it! Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:51 PM

Thanks for the input on the development list. I will be sure to add those! Here are a few recent photographs:

Construction at the former Home Depot site on Carrollton in MidCity. The CVS is nearly finished, the three smaller retail buildings along the greenway are going up and the rear building is also being renovated. Has anyone heard what the tenants might be?
20160201_113902

Third floor residential addition to the MidCity Center on Carrollton:
20160201_113801

View from the recently opened 5th/6th floor addition to Tulane's library
20160127_132046

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Thanks for the input on the development list. I will be sure to add those! Here are a few recent photographs:

Construction at the former Home Depot site on Carrollton in MidCity. The CVS is nearly finished, the three smaller retail buildings along the greenway are going up and the rear building is also being renovated. Has anyone heard what the tenants might be?

WingStop is one! Saw a permit applied for! I think you can be pretty sure its going to be a lot of chain stuff.

http://www.wingstop.com/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:37 AM

Thanks Tennis! I'm not a huge fan of chains in general, but at least WingStop brings some variety to the area. I'm hoping for an Ace hardware, a dry cleaners, and perhaps another restaurant or bar. Between this and the offices at MidCity market, there are nearly a dozen new spaces opening up within these few blocks this year. I'd love to hear if you see any other permits at either site!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
WingStop is one! Saw a permit applied for! I think you can be pretty sure its going to be a lot of chain stuff.

http://www.wingstop.com/
We own a store across the street from this, and while I love wings and will be very glad to see a WingStop (since there are no wing places in midcity), I thought the whole reason this project was delayed for so long was disapproval over too many chain stores being planned for the site?

I thought that Phase 1 had been approved, which was the new CVS, and tearing down half of the Home Depot building. I didnt know they got the OK to proceed with everything else.

Thanks for the info!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations