HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 3:31 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 6:27 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:07 PM

Is it an Edmonton building code or design guideline thing to have ground level front porches like that?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:25 PM

delete post

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 12:29 AM

I find the rendering of the apartment that Coldrsx posted above to be very underwhelming.

Especially compared to what Montreal will be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
A bunch of smalll projects in Montreal

Le Rosaire (Villeray)

Eleanor (Griffintown)

6583 Sherbrooke (Homa)

One BLVD (NDG)

2740 St-Patrick (Pointe Saint-Charles)

2180 De Maisonneuve Est (Village)

920 Duluth (Le Plateau)

Centre de l'Innovation - Université de Montréal (Outremont)

2308 St-Patrick (Pointe Sant-Charles)

Florence (east downtown)

Complexe Santé (Montréal Nord)

3967 rue de Verdun (Verdun)

Accès Masson (Rosemont)

37, avenue Broadway (Montréal Est)

École secondaire Anjou (Anjou)

2560 St-Patrick (Pointe Saint-Charles)

Ilot Crowley (Westmount)

Savana sur le Parc (Côte-des-Neiges)

Village Urbain (Lachine)

Vertica (Homa)

COOP Le Have Frontenac (downtown east)

4144 boul. Saint-Laurent (Le Plateau)

4801 Saint-Denis (Le Plateau)

9300 rue Meilleur (Ahuntsic)

Perspective Bates (Ville Mont-Royal)

COOP Le Suroît (Outremont)

149 rue Sainte-Catherine (downtown)

Hôtel Mile-End (Le Plateau)

5480 Henri-Julien (le Plateau)

Vivre phase 3 (Outremont)

COOP Mil (Outremont)

La Chapelle (Outremont)

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 3:23 PM
Change is good

^ was that really required to fill this with Montreal content that has no relation?

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:49 PM

^No friggin kidding! One or two examples would have been enough.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 8:47 PM

Every example shown is better than what most developers in Edmonton are building. Montreal's real estate prices are also comparable to Edmonton. My post is meant to shame developers into improving their product, stop being so f*cking lazy! I expect something better than the typical apartment floor plans being recycled over and over with minimal change to exterior cladding.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 9:37 PM
Community Guy

Key wartime airport hangar declared a historic resource
May 24, 2022

A black and white photo of Hangar 11.

As the Second World War raged, Blatchford Field in Edmonton became a vital link in supplying arms and war material to allied forces. Some of that material passed through Hangar 11 which was today declared a Municipal Historic Resource by Edmonton City Council.

Hangar 11 was constructed by the US Army Air Force (now the US Air Force) at Blatchford Field, later known as the Municipal Airport, in 1942. Hangar 11 played a significant role in the Lend-Lease program that had the US provide military equipment to the allies before and after it joined the war.

Hangar 11 in current day.

“It’s doubtful that the eastern front war would have been won without the military supplies provided to US allies through Canada,” says Principal Heritage Planner David Johnston. “Hangar 11 was vital in that phase of the war and is a remarkable piece of history Edmontonians can look on with pride.”

After the United States entered the war, it built a series of airfields, known as the Northwest Staging Route, to provide American military equipment to the Allied countries. Edmonton’s airfield at Blatchford Field became the headquarters of the Alaskan Wing, Air Transport Command, and the field was at times the busiest airfield in the world with nearly 900 flights arriving each day. It’s estimated that Blatchford Field supported the transfer of 7,000 to 10,000 Lend-Lease aircraft to the Allies between 1943 and 1945. Hangar 11 is believed to be the last remaining building of its kind in western Canada.

The owners of Hangar 11 will receive a grant of $5 million over a 10-year period (capped at a maximum of $500,000 per year) from the City’s Heritage Resources Reserve to assist with rehabilitation of the building, which will see a combination of preservation and new development.

“The sheer scale of the building makes the cost of rehabilitation significant. The new owners are intending on repurposing the building to accommodate a mixed-use development with student housing and commercial uses,” said Johnston. “The preservation of the structure also addresses sustainability and climate change adaptation considerations, with the retention of the embodied energy in the building and the diversion of demolition materials from the landfill.”

City Administration has worked for years to find ways to preserve the building which stands as an important reminder of Edmonton’s aviation history and the story of the city’s involvement in the Second World War.

The City’s Historic Resource Management Plan outlines the City’s mission to identify, protect and promote the preservation and use of historic resources. The Plan contains 24 policies and 88 action items that direct how Edmonton’s heritage should be preserved and celebrated. Since the plan was initiated in 1985, 170 properties have been designated, with more designations planned in the future.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/HistoricResources

Media contact:
Mary-Ann Thurber
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-619-3254

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Every example shown is better than what most developers in Edmonton are building. Montreal's real estate prices are also comparable to Edmonton. My post is meant to shame developers into improving their product, stop being so f*cking lazy! I expect something better than the typical apartment floor plans being recycled over and over with minimal change to exterior cladding.
I agree with you all the way. That said, the last time I was in Montreal (about ten years ago) the new multi-res being built in the suburbs there was just as crappy as what Edmonton puts forward as its gold standard.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 2:00 PM
Community Guy

Tim AntoniukStatus is reachable
Tim Antoniuk
• 1st
President/Founder of ARCHiture
51m • 51 minutes ago

https://lnkd.in/gajCSv2X

I am are inspired and excited to be part of this nationally significant historic restoration! #hangar11edm is a significant part of Edmonton’s contribution to WWII. Watch the transformation of this amazing structure into a vibrant mixed-use Urban Village that will be filled with 272 apartments and over 25,000sf of retail - Dean Wulf Ed Cyrankiewicz Cassandra Watson Lorraine

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:01 PM
Community Guy

Community Grand Opening - June 25

Join us at our community grand opening block party on Saturday, June 25 from 12-6 pm!

Check out Edmonton’s newest central community that offers the best of urban living with a family-friendly, sustainable lifestyle. Tour the neighbourhood and visit the showhomes. Swing by the food trucks and stay for the live music.

Enter to win a $500 gift certificate to Kingsway Mall and enjoy the beer gardens at our local brewery, The Growerly. Bring the kids (and anyone young at heart) for face painting, yard games and a planting activity presented by our friends from the Muttart.

Learn more about how Blatchford is leading the way for sustainable living and join a guided tour of the neighbourhood and the community energy centre at 1:00, 3:00 and 4:30 pm.

Our homebuilders are also taking part in the fun by offering swag/activities/prizes in their showhomes or at their information tables.

https://blatchfordedmonton.ca

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 3:16 PM
Community Guy

City celebrates Blatchford community grand opening
June 23, 2022

Today, construction and community partners were reminded that Blatchford continues to succeed, with more homes being built and more land being prepared for future development than ever.

“Blatchford embodies the vision of what Edmontonians want their city to be—a healthy, urban, climate resilient and prosperous community,” said Edmonton Councillor Anne Stevenson. “I’m proud of this work and the opportunity we’ve been given to transform an urban space into a true 15 minute community.

“All of the land we have available for sale is currently either sold or pending.” said Tom Lumsden, Blatchford’s development manager. “New communities take time to get established and Blatchford is poised to take off. Now that potential residents and visitors to the community can start to see the vision translating into reality, we are starting to see significant interest from the home building industry to be a part of this unique, central community custom designed for sustainability, active mobility and public spaces.”

Two stages are planned for construction this year, in addition to the two stages currently under development on the west side of the site. This brings the total parcels of land, made up of townhomes and four to six storey buildings, up to 34.

These four stages will consist of approximately 1,100 residential units and also include mixed-use buildings that will bring the first shops and services right to the neighbourhood. The timing of home construction in Blatchford is determined by the homebuilders, ultimately.

The City of Edmonton is bringing services to the east side of the neighbourhood in preparation for NAIT’s campus expansion. Road and sidewalk connections from the west to the east side are planned to ensure residents and visitors will have direct access to the LRT, which is scheduled to be operational in 2024 or 2025.

Three new home builder projects are set to be in development in the near future, including a 90-unit rental townhome development, an 82-unit condo building and a 72-unit condo building with main floor retail.

The City of Edmonton will be hosting a public grand opening event for the Blatchford community on Saturday, June 25 from noon to 6 p.m. The event will provide Edmontonians interested in the neighbourhood with a chance to tour the site, talk with the development team and visit the showhomes. The event will also feature live music, yard games, face painting, food trucks as well as giveaways from the community's homebuilders.

For more information:
blatchford.ca
blatchford.ca/grandopening
edmonton.ca/blatchford

Media contact:
Mel Garcia
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780- 886-2822

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
This is pretty bad. Really curious what comes ultimately comes of blatchford, it's really set expectations low with the overall plan, and the building designs have been quite mediocre, and prices are high. Perhaps it will shine in its street layouts and design, currently only a small sample of that exists and it seems decent.

I will never get over how squandered the whole opportunity feels. From having amenities for the whole city like the recreational lake and waterfront walkway with shops, to turning into just a denser version of any new suburb but with a higher price tag.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
This is pretty bad. Really curious what comes ultimately comes of blatchford, it's really set expectations low with the overall plan, and the building designs have been quite mediocre, and prices are high. Perhaps it will shine in its street layouts and design, currently only a small sample of that exists and it seems decent.

I will never get over how squandered the whole opportunity feels. From having amenities for the whole city like the recreational lake and waterfront walkway with shops, to turning into just a denser version of any new suburb but with a higher price tag.
I love the Vancouver-dense forest in the background.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:16 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post

That apartment isn't great, but it's not horrendous. Regardless, we should be seeing a higher quality of design now with mid-rises like we have seen with high rises over the last few years (i.e. Encore, Ultima, Grandin View, The Parks, etc.).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

'That apartment isn't great, but it's not horrendous'

Let's not forget the goal of this area and significant work done to set things up for success...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:04 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'That apartment isn't great, but it's not horrendous'

Let's not forget the goal of this area and significant work done to set things up for success...
True, but you'd think we'd be seeing Stadium Yards-quality midrises in Blatchford at this point, especially since the price point there is arguably higher than the Stadium Yards market.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 10:12 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 3:04 PM

^I agree on the price point comment, but disagree on the removal of 'strict architectural standards' as somehow making it more affordable. I wouldn't call anything built thus far an architectural marvel, but I can imagine it would be way worse without any guidelines.
The land should be sold at a discount, particularly at the start just to get things moving faster.

Feels like just yesterday I was attending an open-house of the original perkins-will plan. Now we are already *32* units in?? Where does the time go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton