HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:45 PM

Maybe it's because I'm not watching the right things, but I'm not seeing much advertising for Touchdown Atlantic at all.

Granted, I don't watch Sports period, nor follow them much. My TV is PVR'ed and I fast forward through commercials, and since the Gleaner is behind a paywall, I don't read the paper.

But I DO listen to the radio all day literally ( a rock station granted, but it is now a Bell station), and I do PVR some of the CTV Atlantic shows (like TAR Canada), and I don't think I've seen any sort of promotion for the game, to watch it or to buy tickets for it. At the very least I'd expect to see some promotion on CTV Atlantic and Global Maritimes.

Is Bell planning to air this CFL game?

I wonder if people remember the first games selling out and aren't bothering to try and look this time one way or another. Any other conflicts going on that weekend? Or maybe the promotors are sitting on their laurels and not getting the word out beyond the Hub city.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 10:08 PM

So Touchdown Atlantic in Moncton only has a capacity of about 15,900 seats this year and only about 14,500 seats have been sold.

http://www.news919.com/2013/09/09/ma...-effort-cohon/

Pretty sad as there was no Touchdown Atlantic last year in Moncton. And some of the excuses used 2 years ago about not selling out do not apply this time. Halifax had a sold out NHL preseason game the same day 2 years ago. There is no game this year and the Mooseheads are not playing either. Also this game is on a more attractive Saturday night not a Sunday like the last one.

About Moncton, Mark Cohen said: "The community as we know it has been going through a challenging time economically, and I think it is reflected on ticket sales."

http://globalnews.ca/video/829237/cfl-tickets

He doesn't sound impressed. Hopefully he will continue to push for Halifax to get a stadium and franchise.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 10:42 PM

This will be my first game which I will be attending despite what I've heard from those who went the past couple years. They said they wouldn't go again as the games were very underwhelming considering the price they paid. I'll give it a shot this year. Hopefully Halifax gets a chance to host in the future.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 10:53 PM

Its hard to make a judgement on attendance for these games because, this isn't the Maple Leafs, Bruins, Canadiens or the Patriots, Packers etc. coming to play. This is the CFL its slowly gaining popularity and I feel the best way to test the Market is to put a team in for a season and go from there. A local team to cheer for would draw more people, a team with the name the New Brunswick... or the Moncton... or whatever people see fit. Also add in the factor of who the teams are Montreal Alouettes and the Hamilton Tigercats, both popular in there own cities, but I feel you would get more people if the Roughriders, Eskimos, Stamperders were playing.

As for Halifax, I would love to see a team in the Maritimes, doesn't matter where... but until Halifax builds a stadium there is no point in them going after Cohon for a team. Once council agrees to build it and shovels hit the ground then go to him.

To end my rant, its one game a year, I believe more people would attend 10 home games a season compared to 1 game between 2 teams with no local ties, if Cohon wants to really test the Market he will put a team in the Maritimes and see what happens after a season... it disappoints me that one game a year can make or break a local team...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 11:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Maybe it's because I'm not watching the right things, but I'm not seeing much advertising for Touchdown Atlantic at all.
There has been effectively no advertising for this game this year and no hype either......

I blame this on the fact that Ian Fowler is no longer around. He knew how to be a booster. His absence probably has something to do with the fact that there were no concerts on the hill this year either.

The city had better find an effective replacement for him as soon as possible.

Of course, whoever they get truly has giant shoes to fill......

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 5:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
As for Halifax, I would love to see a team in the Maritimes, doesn't matter where... but until Halifax builds a stadium there is no point in them going after Cohon for a team. Once council agrees to build it and shovels hit the ground then go to him.
This doesn't make sense. The purpose of a stadium would be to host sports events like CFL games so it is important to gauge demand by talking to interested parties like the CFL during the planning stage. It also makes sense to try to find partners who might invest in the stadium or in a CFL team. It would be extremely foolish to build a CFL-ready stadium in Halifax with no promise of a CFL team.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:36 AM

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This doesn't make sense. The purpose of a stadium would be to host sports events like CFL games so it is important to gauge demand by talking to interested parties like the CFL during the planning stage. It also makes sense to try to find partners who might invest in the stadium or in a CFL team. It would be extremely foolish to build a CFL-ready stadium in Halifax with no promise of a CFL team.
Yes I understand that it would be foolish, but Halifax needs a way to test the waters, the largest field is the one on Saint Mary's Campus and the full capacity is 11,000 (stats from 2005 Touchdown Atlantic). I just can't see Cohon and the league putting a team in Halifax, Mississauga, Moncton etc. all because people say they would go to a game. They need to have stats to prove it and until Halifax has a large enough field to hold 20,000 plus for a game or two (through bleachers or some kind of seating) then they can't promise anything.

Now don't get me wrong I completely understand what your saying and I was wrong, I didn't mean they should build a stadium without promise of a team, that would be a stupid idea, but until the market is tested nobody is going to promise anything. A good start for the CFL is to see how many people from Halifax/Nova Scotia are travelling to Moncton to see a game, another example would be to come up with a market value season ticket /general ticket price, then do surveys to see who would be willing to pay that price... the list goes on.. but I honestly believe that without any test games in a stadium large enough to hold more than 20,000, there is no point in the CFL moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 4:33 PM

Not really a CFL-only thing, but a bit more investment in the stadium in Moncton, probably FIFA prep.

Moncton stadium gets $417K for upgrades

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:02 PM

http://www.news919.com/2013/09/10/no...fl-team-mayor/

So from reading todays story it was not the cities decision to create less seats, it was the CFL who made the final decision.

Quote:
More than 15,000 seats are available for this game, since the CFL wants to take a more intimate approach to the game, and heard previous complaints about seating in the end zone.
Touchdown Atlantic:

2010: 20,725
2011: 20,152

Thats a difference of 572 people, yes its not a sellout but for people to be make up excuses is just dumb, not every team in the CFL has consitent sellout crowds day in and day out. Like Cohon said
Quote:
It can't just be Halifax or Moncton. We are starting to have those conversations both with the mayor here, the mayor in Halifax and with business leaders."

That's my final word on this, in the end as long as all the cities work together and make a regional plan for this team then all will come true. Put the city bickering aside and work together, just like Regina and Saskatoon did.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

So from reading todays story it was not the cities decision to create less seats, it was the CFL who made the final decision.

Touchdown Atlantic:

Thats a difference of 572 people, yes its not a sellout but for people to be make up excuses is just dumb, not every team in the CFL has consitent sellout crowds day in and day out. Like Cohon said .

That's my final word on this, in the end as long as all the cities work together and make a regional plan for this team then all will come true. Put the city bickering aside and work together, just like Regina and Saskatoon did.
That's all fine and good, but the attitude of many Haligonians is "we are more than happy to work with Moncton to secure a team for Atlantic Canada, just so long as the team is based in Halifax".

There is no give or take there........

Having said this though, if Halifax is ultimately successful (and they seem to have some momentum right now), I would certainly drive down there for 1-2 games per year. I would hope the reverse would be true too, but I think at least some Haligonians would refuse to support a Moncton based team just out of spite.......

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:15 PM

As a more neutral party here being in Charlottetown all i ever hear lately is the constant one upmanship between Halifax and Moncton there seems to be plenty of jealousy in both places. I found it rather peculiar that the Times and Transcript headline read "Irvings win shipbuilding contract" while in Saint John The Telegraph Journal headline read "Halifax wins shipbuilding contract". I could not help but wonder if the battle between the 2 cities had something to do with the headline difference.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:

Touchdown Atlantic:

Thats a difference of 572 people, yes its not a sellout but for people to be make up excuses is just dumb, not every team in the CFL has consitent sellout crowds day in and day out. Like Cohon said .

That was 2010 and 2011.

This is the year 2013. They have dropped the capacity of the temporary seating by nearly 5,000 seats and it's still going to be a struggle to sell out. CFL average attendance last year was over 28,000. Right now they have said about 14,500 tickets have been sold, just further proof for the kool-aid drinkers in Moncton that a CFL franchise is a pipe dream for a city that's only barely in the top 30 largest Metropolitan areas in Canada.

Mayor Mike Savage said the economic climate has changed in Halifax and there's a strong desire in the city — not just for a football team, but a world-class facility. Source

Halifax really doesn't need Moncton's support to get a CFL franchise. We have the population and economy to support a CFL team. We were even awarded a conditional franchise 30 years ago.

Halifax needs to build a proper stadium that meets CFL standards. You don't just build a stadium so you can test the market. Stadiums cost millions of dollars and if you are going to build one, you want to build it right from the start.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Halifax really doesn't need Moncton's support to get a CFL franchise. We have the population and economy to support a CFL team. We were even awarded a conditional franchise 30 years ago.
Thanks for proving my point that some (probably many) Haligonians really aren't interested in a Maritime or Atlantic Canada franchise. What they want is a Halifax franchise.

Cohon suggested that we here in the Maritimes should be looking at a team like they have in Saskatchewan with community ownership and broad based regional support. Obviously q12 doesn't feel this is necessary.

So, with a Halifax based team, don't expect an annual regular season game in Moncton, and don't expect training camps in Saint John or Charlottetown. Also don't expect player appearances at community events in Summerside or Miramichi. We can all be supplicants to the altar of mighty Halifax instead........

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
We can all be supplicants to the altar of mighty Halifax instead........
People in this region need to get over the fact that Halifax is the biggest city in Atlantic Canada.

Halifax is only going to get larger. And the rest of the Maritimes will only benefit from Halifax's strong economy.

Halifax's rapidly growing Skyline is a fine example of how significantly larger Halifax is than other cities in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 9:09 PM

I am unsure if it would work but what if the franchise was awarded to both cities with stadiums in both places of course and half the home games in each city and yes with community visits to all major cities in the Maritimes. Hell if the Toronto Blue Jays can visit Charlottetown for promotion and community outreach than my crazy idea may have merit.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
We can all be supplicants to the altar of mighty Halifax instead........
Jealousy???

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
As a more neutral party here being in Charlottetown all i ever hear lately is the constant one upmanship between Halifax and Moncton there seems to be plenty of jealousy in both places. I found it rather peculiar that the Times and Transcript headline read "Irvings win shipbuilding contract" while in Saint John The Telegraph Journal headline read "Halifax wins shipbuilding contract". I could not help but wonder if the battle between the 2 cities had something to do with the headline difference.
Absolutely spot on. Moncton does this with Halifax and SJ. Some civic pride is well and good but it needs to be grounded and realistic so that proper decisions are made for the right reasons.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
The differences in the headlines between the two papers might have no significance at all, or could have a difference in interpretation other than what you think.

"Halifax Wins Shipbuilding Contract" in the Telegraph Journal could be interpreted as Saint John wistfully noting the fact that the Irving Shipyards were no longer based in the port city and that this was another lost opportunity for the community.

"Irvings Win Shipbuilding Contract" in the T&T on the other hand is free of any geographic connotation and perhaps indicated that the paper felt the awarding of the contract was good for the whole region.

I don't think the T&T headline indicated any sort of rivalry between Halifax and Moncton......

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from News 91.9

No rivalry between Moncton and Halifax for CFL team: Mayor

3rd Touchdown Atlantic game brings renewed discussion of Maritime team
Allan Dearing
Sep 10, 2013 06:00:06 AM

MONCTON, N.B. – The mayor of Moncton says the city is not in a rivalry with Halifax for a tenth CFL franchise.

George LeBlanc says he agrees with CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon that a potential Maritime team must be a regional one.

“Halifax has been in the mix for a quite some time now, it’s not new that Halifax may be interested in a team. But Moncton is a fantastic city, we’ve got a great track record when it comes to sports and entertainment; we’re often called the sport and entertainment capital of eastern Canada.”

Fewer seats are being made available for the September 21 matchup between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Montreal Alouettes at Moncton Stadium.

More than 15,000 seats are available for this game, since the CFL wants to take a more intimate approach to the game, and heard previous complaints about seating in the end zone.

See - Mayor LeBlanc says there is no rivalry between Moncton and Halifax for the 10th CFL team. It's all hugs and kisses between us. It makes me feel so warm and cosy inside.....

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 2:10 AM

True MonctonRad the Times and Transcript headline may not have meant anything regarding a rivalry hopefully not maybe you are right and it was just being neutral.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces