HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 1:32 AM

Major new building permit just got issued;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 5543 BILBY ST, HALIFAX - $9'331'109 - Commercial - Retail Use - 10 Floors - Commercial Hotel

This is immediately next to NRTH Condos and on the same block as The Camille, The Bilby, The Stackhouse, and Admiral's Corner. Does anyone have information about this?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 11:28 AM

Bilby St seems a very odd site upon which to build a hotel.

I wonder if this is another planning loophole like the supposed hotel on Prince Albert Rd in Dartmouth, where a hotel was allowed to be built much taller than a residential structure.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I just visited Halifax for the first time. I returned to Toronto this morning. I have to say, I really love Halifax/Nova Scotia. The waterfront. The architecture. Spring Garden Road. Black culture. Diversity. I lived in Ottawa for 13 years before moving back to Toronto and I have to say, I found Halifax to be an overall better city than Ottawa. Between the private sector and the city, it seems like there's an appetite to make Halifax a great place to live and visit. You can sense that there's ambition. If I wasn't in the entertainment industry in Toronto, I'd strongly consider moving to Halifax.
Glad you enjoyed your stay.

I've only spent a couple of weeks in Ottawa, but enjoyed it very much. I've been to Toronto more times than I would like to admit, and can't say that it's my cup of tea.

Been in Halifax much longer than that, and have to agree that it's a great place to live.

Hope you have the chance to visit again and really get to know the city!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

I wonder if this is another planning loophole like the supposed hotel on Prince Albert Rd in Dartmouth, where a hotel was allowed to be built much taller than a residential structure.
It is an odd location in my mind... and I thought it was odd when a hotel was announced a couple blocks away at Isleville and Almon. I wonder if it'll be run similar to how the hotel at Bilby and Agricola is (Brewery Park).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 1:07 PM
Cap the Cut!

Butler Scaffolding has been looking more and more out of place in that location. I have wondered how much longer it would remain. That lot goes through the block and fronts on Macara Street too. Functionally at least, it would seem like a good lot for a hotel. Perhaps with the proliferation of high-rise condo and apartment living in the north end, the hotels in the area will used by visitors of local residents who are unable to accommodate their guests in their small quarters. Also, the north end is quickly becoming one of THE centres of vibrancy in the city making it a destination all on its own. For certain, this is not the Bilby Street of old.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Butler Scaffolding has been looking more and more out of place in that location. I have wondered how much longer it would remain. That lot goes through the block and fronts on Macara Street too. Functionally at least, it would seem like a good lot for a hotel. Perhaps with the proliferation of high-rise condo and apartment living in the north end, the hotels in the area will used by visitors of local residents who are unable to accommodate their guests in their small quarters. Also, the north end is quickly becoming one of THE centres of vibrancy in the city making it a destination all on its own. For certain, this is not the Bilby Street of old.
Good points... I do think Agricola and Almon are more natural fits, as they're certainly more significant circulation routes. I hope this is an interesting approach to hospitality - given the points you've raised, this might be a good opportunity for a newer model in the city.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There are actually quite a few "hotels" in the North End neighbourhood. Brewery Park as mentioned by eastcoastal, a couple on the 3100 block of Isleville, the room above Compass Distillery, etc.

Basically straddling the line between boutique hotel and Airbnb.

I think the area makes sense if you've visiting Halifax for a chill vacation.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 2:50 PM

There's a lot of accomodation hidden here and there around this area, but a large hotel like this does feel a little odd. I'd also rather this become an apartment or condo build--OTOH, there's clearly a need for new hotel rooms in the city, and as the residential Airbnb ban (which I think is a good thing) takes effect, that need will grow.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 3:44 AM

New Building - Application Incomplete - 22 BRULE ST, DARTMOUTH - $3'250'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 38 Units - 4 Floors - New construction of a 38 unit, 4 story, slab on grade affordable housing project.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
New Building - Application Incomplete - 22 BRULE ST, DARTMOUTH - $3'250'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 38 Units - 4 Floors - New construction of a 38 unit, 4 story, slab on grade affordable housing project.
What does affordable housing project mean in this context? Is this government built housing?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 7:06 PM

Quote:

I saw a story about this lot in AllNovaScotia today: looks to me like the current owners are selling the lot and SAYING a hotel could be built there - they do not appear to be intent on building a hotel themselves.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Major new building permit just got issued;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 5543 BILBY ST, HALIFAX - $9'331'109 - Commercial - Retail Use - 10 Floors - Commercial Hotel

This is immediately next to NRTH Condos and on the same block as The Camille, The Bilby, The Stackhouse, and Admiral's Corner. Does anyone have information about this?
Oops - replied to the wrong(ish) post...

I saw a story about this lot in AllNovaScotia today: looks to me like the current owners are selling the lot and SAYING a hotel could be built there - they do not appear to be intent on building a hotel themselves.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 6:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax Walker has a lot of videos showing the city and the latest shows Tramway facade work happening on Barrington: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4CJj2rKR4

Depending on how this turns out it could look dramatically better than how this building has looked for years. I wonder if it just needs restored turrets, parging, and maybe a paint job or if more will be done?

The Jade and Green Lantern are looking good but only with partially occupied commercial units. I have often thought the little stretch along the south end of that block was oddly underdeveloped. Too bad it didn't get some larger development in the early 20th century. The former Orpheus Theatre facade used to look much nicer. Restoring it would be a good heritage district project:

https://caperpics.wordpress.com/2013...-scotia-1940s/

Last edited by someone123; Aug 16, 2023 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Apparently this demolition permit is to make way for this building permit application;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - In Review - 3040 OXFORD ST, HALIFAX - $10'000'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 68 Units - 6 Floors - New Multi-Unit Residential building.
Looks like demolition of the top layer is done, mostly. From this morning:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 1:17 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Looks like demolition of the top layer is done, mostly. From this morning:

I wonder if we will finally see a real design or just another cookie-cutter plastic box?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 12:48 AM

The Wedgewood Motel is now gone.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The Wedgewood Motel is now gone.
It was demolished a couple of weeks ago. They're going at a much quicker pace compared to who is demolishing the old Howard Johnson at the corner of Bedford and Larry Uteck

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
It was demolished a couple of weeks ago. They're going at a much quicker pace compared to who is demolishing the old Howard Johnson at the corner of Bedford and Larry Uteck
It had been a few weeks since I was by, the site was looking pretty tidy on the weekend. The Howard Johnson approach seems a little more hands on to preserve materials for possible sale or reuse?

I realize this also isn't really the right section to post this in, as this is in the Peninsula and DT Dartmouth Section. This would warrant its own thread in suburbs once some renderings are available.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 12:22 PM

In case you didn't know, there are construction cams for the Cogswell lands here:

https://cogswellproject.photosentinel.photos/gallery/#/

Not live streaming but updated every 15 minutes.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 1:37 PM

NEW PROJECT!

A construction permit has been submitted for;

215 WYSE ROAD, DARTMOUTH - $54'800'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 203 Units - 9 Floors - New Construction - 9 storey, 3 parking levels, Commercial on street.

This is across from Sobeys and is currently home to Hayden Auto Sales. Looks like a through lot to Rosedale Drive so hopefully ground floor retail is along Wyse and parking entrance along Rosedale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth