HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:35 PM

Interesting, WS is ditching Link:

WestJet transitions WestJet Link routes to WestJet Encore for fall 2024
Last updated May 13, 2024 at 02:32 PM MT

Service between now and October 27, 2024, continues without interruption

WestJet today outlined its plan to transition WestJet Link service to WestJet Encore, providing regional connectivity onboard WestJet’s fleet of De Havilland Dash 8-400 aircraft. The service change will complete the airline’s capacity purchase agreement with Pacific Coastal Airlines and is in line with WestJet’s regional growth strategy. WestJet will be working closely with the regional communities on this transition, which will in most cases see an increase in the number of seats offered. WestJet is committed to ensuring that air access in these communities remains supported to achieve their economic and tourism objectives.
Service to routes previously served by WestJet Link will transition at the end of WestJet’s summer schedule, by no later than October 27, 2024. Guests that have booked WestJet Link flights beyond October 27, 2024, will be automatically rebooked on WestJet Encore flights as part of the revised schedule.

“WestJet values our guests in these communities, and we look forward to serving these regional airports through the reliable and affordable service our WestJet Encore fleet is known for,” said John Weatherill, WestJet Group Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer. “We understand how vital air service is for these smaller communities in Alberta and British Columbia and this transition will ensure that they maintain access to WestJet’s broader network through our base in Vancouver and global hub in Calgary.”

*NEW* WestJet Encore Routes for Fall 2024

Route Frequency Start Date
Calgary-Cranbrook 11x weekly October 27
Calgary-Lethbridge 1x Daily October 27
Calgary-Medicine Hat 1x Daily October 27
Vancouver-Cranbrook 3x weekly October 27
Vancouver-Comox 1x Daily October 27
Vancouver-Nanaimo 4x weekly October 28

WestJet’s most up-to-date 2024 fall and winter schedule can be found on WestJet.com.

“We are sincerely grateful for Pacific Coastal’s valued partnership over the last six years and look forward to our shared guests benefiting from our interline agreement going forward,” concluded Weatherill.

“I’m so proud of all the employees at Pacific Coastal Airlines who have powered WestJet Link since it first started in June 2018,” said Quentin Smith, President of Pacific Coastal Airlines. “In partnership with WestJet we have proven how important regional flight connectivity is in British Columbia and Alberta.”

They are dropping YKA-YVR and YLL-YYC altogether. Capacity-wise it is about equal for most destinations overall, but brings frequency down from Link levels. I will repost my W24 numbers in another post.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I suspect this is the new shareholder

I suspect the existing leases on the 737s that were negotiated at favourable rates to Flair/777 Partners during COVID/the MAX grounding are probably worth more at current market rates now.

Maybe they let Flair fly them for the Canadian summer peak, the yank them when down season hits.
I don't think it was mentioned but the Feds are investigating Flair's new ownership structure to see if it falls within the rules.

Federal regulator to investigate Flair Airlines for compliance with Canadian ownership rules
Move by Canadian Transportation Agency comes after airline’s long-time backer cut its stake in the discount carrier.
Updated May 15, 2024

The Canadian Transportation Agency says it will investigate Flair Airlines’ new ownership structure to see if it meets Canadian ownership rules after a long-time backer cut its stake in the discount carrier.

In an email, agency spokesperson Vincent Turgeon said the CTA was looking into the May 1 announcement by Flair that long-time backer 777 Partners was transferring part of its stake in the airline to an “affiliate” of one of Flair’s lenders...

https://www.thestar.com/business/fed...4808973d9.html

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:24 AM

Quelle comedie. I don’t think ADM felt that way about Mirabel.

I would agree that Montreal St. Hubert or Montreal South Shore would be a better name. And I don’t agree with airport naming that stretches belief. But I don’t think it does - YHU is the original airport, not so crazy far out - definitely not like it’s 3 hours away.

Then again, call it Montreal Maurice Richard Airport or Montreal Patrick Roy Airport and see if they prefer that branding…

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:53 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post

I would agree that Montreal St. Hubert or Montreal South Shore would be a better name. And I don’t agree with airport naming that stretches belief. But I don’t think it does - YHU is the original airport, not so crazy far out - definitely not like it’s 3 hours away.

Then again, call it Montreal Maurice Richard Airport or Montreal Patrick Roy Airport and see if they prefer that branding…
ADM is looking for ways to waste their time instead of making sure things aren't complete CHAOS this summer at YUL. I just cannot wait to see the lineups. At its peak, it was about an hour lineup by car. Have to think it will be even more this year.

Saint Hubert is feel to use whatever name they chose. ADM shouldn't have a say in that. It's a shame they are YMX's operator because things could have been a lot better.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:45 AM

WestJet Calgary YYC - Seoul Incheon (ICN), South Korea 1st inaugural flight for S24 season is today Friday May 17 2024 and operated by Boeing 787-9 and 3x weekly service.

It's also the 1st time (since end of 2019 when Air Canada previously operated to Tokyo Narita, (NRT) Japan & Hainan Airlines to Beijing Capital (PEK),China) that YYC has had 2 flights ✈️to Asia on the same day.

As WestJet YYC - Tokyo Narita NRT, Japan operates as well on Friday May 17.

Last edited by Calfan12; May 17, 2024 at 7:01 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I do agree though, that St Hubert should be in their name... or even "Montreal - Longueuil". Perhaps "Montreal - South Shore", but they would have to have a French and English version of their name.
Quote:

I would agree that Montreal St. Hubert or Montreal South Shore would be a better name.
I think that's basically what YHU needed to do to avoid this mess.

Both of these airports played this the wrong way I think.

YUL went overboard with the lawsuit (mind you they did try and solve this without a lawsuit). YHU, on the other hand, should have known that droping "St. Hubert" from it's title would have ruffled a few feathers.

Besides, I think keeping the St. hubert name is important and part of the history of that airport. It is one of the oldest airports in the country after all. It has been around since 1927.

It's also the first airport in Canada to get a control tower (1939). In fact, NavCan celebrated the control tower's 85th anniversary last month.

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/news/blo...niversary.aspx

Last edited by thenoflyzone; May 17, 2024 at 10:58 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Airport naming can always bring up weird emotions, especially in areas that it doesn't have as long a history (ie. as others have said, London has so many airports that people have always just referred to the name and not the city, same with Paris). SFO doesn't want Oakland to siphon anything off, even though Oakland airport has always been there. It's just the naming thing.

For YVR, we have both YXX (Abbotsford) and BLI (Bellingham) that advertise at times as Vancouver. BLI doesn't do it on their official branding or website, but Allegiant Air advertises the destination as Bellingham, WA / Vancouver BC. Very misleading, but technically allowed. YXX doesn't brand itself as Vancouver and neither do airlines that fly there. But for some reason, OAG Flight schedules (the largest flight schedule system in the world) lumps all of YXX flights in with YVR, it's actually very annoying. Go this URL, and type in flight to YYC, and the results pull up YXX flights as well, under the name "Vancouver Abbotsford Intl Apt"

https://timetables.oag.com/yvr/

Such a name doesn't exist AFAIK, yet here it is on the ultimate authority on flight schedules. And despite the fact that neither the airport or airlines market it that way, very bizarre!
Does Vancouver have an IATA city code like Toronto does (YTO) and Montreal did (does? - will be useful again when YHU's terminal opens) to search all airports in the same metro?

Quote:

The ADM don't feel that way about YMX because the operate the airport!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:31 PM

AC are restoring some YOW capacity this winter: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...852536163.html

YWG & YYC return to year-round service daily
YVR keeping the 789 all winter
YHZ returning to 3x daily (on PAL) - was a mere 1x daily last winter
YQB increases to daily year-round
MCO increasing from 2x to 4x/wk
FLL increasing from 4x to 6x/wk
TPA increasing from 1x to 2x/wk
CUN and PUJ increasing to 4x/wk each

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
AC are restoring some YOW capacity this winter: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...852536163.html

YWG & YYC return to year-round service daily
This has to be due to Porter's growing market on these routes, and in YWGs case, also due to WS having established YWG-YOW year-round. Lots of competition here now.

I am a bit surprised that there is no effort from AC to restore YEG-YOW however. I would have though this to be a route AC believing is lucrative and wanting to pursue once more.

Last edited by Justanothermember; May 17, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding YHU. This destination map exists on their website, showing the Canadian destinations they hope to be serving next year:

Some of the dropped pins are misplaced. I mean, Kingston ON - WTF!!!

Not all of these destinations will be served by Porter. Some will be PASCAN or other smaller regional carriers.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
This has to be due to Porter's growing market on these routes, and in YWGs case, also due to WS having established YWG-YOW year-round. Lots of competition here now.

I am a bit surprised that there is no effort from AC to restore YEG-YOW however. I would have though this to be a route AC believing is lucrative and wanting to pursue once more.
I wonder if YEG-YOW is one of Porter's better performers on the E2. It was introduced long before YYC from YOW.

AC used to fly the YEG-YOW as a redeye on the A220 - a good use of the frame. It would turn to YYZ for the 7-8h rapidair run. The YOW-YEG was also late in the evening too, landing YEG around 23h. I think AC is short on A220s right now with engine issues, plus their focus on US markets with this plane is likely more lucrative for them.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:16 PM

Well I have my flight on Porter booked for August ot to TO. Nice having an inlaw working for Porter.

First flight east in about 6 years. All my flights the last few years have been west or north.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Regarding YHU. This destination map exists on their website, showing the Canadian destinations they hope to be serving next year:

Some of the dropped pins are misplaced. I mean, Kingston ON - WTF!!!

Not all of these destinations will be served by Porter. Some will be PASCAN or other smaller regional carriers.
That's interesting placement for the Kingston Pin. It's either dropped in the wrong spot or it's supposed to be Hamilton. Which would be nice that something os planned for YHM bit I doubt it, as nothing seems be planned or announced by Porter to fly out of Hamilton.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Does Vancouver have an IATA city code like Toronto does (YTO) and Montreal did (does? - will be useful again when YHU's terminal opens) to search all airports in the same metro?

The ADM don't feel that way about YMX because the operate the airport!
YTO Toronto
YMQ Montreal
YEA Edmonton

These are the only 3 in Canada as far as I know

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:29 PM

^ That's right.

It's funny, Vancouver has a ton of airports in/near the metro area, and could use a metro area code, but doesn't have one, and yet Edmonton has a metro code, but doesn't need one, since YXD closed a while ago.

You can search for codes (both airport and airline codes) here. Just type in the city name.

https://www.iata.org/en/publications...s/code-search/

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
YTO Toronto
YMQ Montreal
YEA Edmonton

These are the only 3 in Canada as far as I know
As yes I'd forgotten about Edmonton given YXD is long gone. YMQ will be useful again after about 20 years of near-needlessness save for Pascan and Air Liaison at YHU.

Regarding YGK, that's almost undoubtedly correct with Pascan.

Pascan could actually be a really good feeder for PD at YOW from the likes of YSB, YTS, YYB and Trois-Rivieres and Sherbrooke if they were ever to get their own terminals.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:05 PM

For the first time since the 2000s YFB will see seasonal scheduled international air service this summer. Air Greenland will be starting a weekly GOH-YFB flight on a Dash 8 that will interline and provide same-day connections to/from YOW, YUL and YVR on Wednesdays.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...813618080.html

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:20 PM

Flair Airlines Orlando (MCO) Winter Schedule

Route Frequency Start Date Starting Fare

Kitchener-Waterloo (YKF) - Orlando (MCO) Up to 3x weekly October 29, 2024 $94
Orlando (MCO) - Kitchener-Waterloo (YKF) Up to 3x weekly October 29, 2024 $44
Toronto (YYZ) - Orlando (MCO) Up to 12 x weekly December 16, 2024 $114
Orlando (MCO) - Toronto (YYZ) Up to 12 x weekly December 16, 2024 $54
London (YXU) - Orlando (MCO) 2x weekly December 20, 2024 $94
Orlando (MCO) - London (YXU) 2x weekly December 20, 2024 $59
Saint John (YSJ) - Orlando (MCO) 1x weekly December 22, 2024 $124
Orlando (MCO) - Saint John (YSJ) 1x weekly December 22, 2024 $59

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Regarding YHU. This destination map exists on their website, showing the Canadian destinations they hope to be serving next year
Personally I tend to view airlines and airports that put out possible future route maps the same way - it’s not real until you can book it. Probably a better chance of most of that happening than most aspirational maps (terminal construction as evidence) but still aspirational until bookable.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Checking out the route maps for our region. Lovely to see a line from St. John's to Europe again

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada