HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:16 PM

Random project updates

Update on the new jail

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47535602@N05/

Update on the new maintenance and repair hangar for wide body aircraft at Windsor Airport from the same source

And an update on the U of W's new engineering building.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/02/windsor...-taking-shape/

Quote:
The Centre for Engineering Innovation — the newest building at the University of Windsor — is in its final stages of construction.

Three weeks ago construction crews from PCR removed the site’s large tower crane, marking the end of structural work.

Crews are presently working on exterior finishings and building the interior.

The Centre for Engineering Innovation will open to students in September.

Initial rendering

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:22 PM

A long empty parcel of land on Dougall will finally be developed.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/02/long-ab...de-into-plaza/

Quote:
A section of land that has become a South Windsor eyesore will be getting developed soon.

Situated at the corner of West Grand and Dougall, the property closed as a Shell gas station years ago and has since sat boarded-up and weed-covered.

A site plan has been submitted to the city that will see a 5,600 square foot, two story office and commercial building built. Included in the development will be 21 parking spaces and landscaping to soften the look of the property.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
A long empty parcel of land on Dougall will finally be developed.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/02/long-ab...de-into-plaza/

It's about time, it's been that way for quite a way now. I grew up not too far from there, so it's nice to see the old hood being cleaned up.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It's about time, it's been that way for quite a way now. I grew up not too far from there, so it's nice to see the old hood being cleaned up.
Notice how a lot of parcels of land are being infilled these days? Yet they are still out in the burbs of the city. For example a lot of the newer plazas popping up on Dougall (there were 2 other Dougall developments posted a few months ago) and new plazas on Walker between EC Row and Cabana. I'm encouraged that new buildings are being built and working their way in from the outer edges of the city, probably because the fringes of the city are full at this point, so I think this is a good thing, forcing newer business to look at existing sites in the city.

What do you think?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Notice how a lot of parcels of land are being infilled these days? Yet they are still out in the burbs of the city. For example a lot of the newer plazas popping up on Dougall (there were 2 other Dougall developments posted a few months ago) and new plazas on Walker between EC Row and Cabana. I'm encouraged that new buildings are being built and working their way in from the outer edges of the city, probably because the fringes of the city are full at this point, so I think this is a good thing, forcing newer business to look at existing sites in the city.

What do you think?
I've noticed the trend also, and I'm happy to see it. Developers can't forget that there is still a large population in the centre of the city that needs to be served. Hopefully it continues and we see some brownfield developement in the downtown and outer downtown areas. There are so many properties that are in great locations to choose from, like all along Wyandotte east and west, and along University Ave. It just takes one new retail plaza that's done well to pop up, and others would consider locations in the area as well. I think that University Ave would be the best choice as it's a main artery between the core and the University.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I think that University Ave would be the best choice as it's a main artery between the core and the University.
I agree with that comment as well. At the same time though I feel that the city has had a long time to develop that corridor and has been unsuccessful to this point. Add to that the whole fiasco with Grace hospital. It really could be a bigger part of downtown as it is a major corridor.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:28 PM

And so it begins. Pitt and Chatham street between Bruce and Church street are officially closed off forever now in preparation of the new Aquatic Centre which will span across the two roads.

source: http://www.windsorstar.com/life/Wind...236/story.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:31 PM

The art gallery of Windsor's store is closing in preparation of the downtown Windsor Library relocating to the ground floor of the site.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/02/a-look-...-shop-closing/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:37 PM

Yeah, that whole Grace thing is just a disaster for the whole area. As crazy as the idea to put street cars along University between the core and the U, I kind of think now that maybe it would be a good idea. Something drastic and different like that would maybe kickstart some new developement and creat a unique feel and look that currently doesn't exist in this city. Who knows with the new downtown campus and other developements coming to the core, it could happen. I'm a realist though, so I'm not holding my breath. I just think that we as a city need to do things totally different than what we've been used to.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:29 PM

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/02/former-...-be-developed/

Quote:

Former A&W property at the corner of Huron Church and Tecumseh to be developed.

A parcel of property on Huron Church that has sat vacant for over a decade will finally be developed.

Located on the corner Huron Church and Tecumseh Road West, this land parcel was once home to an A&W fast food restaurant, but had sat empty since the restaurant was closed and demolished.

Modern Property Management has a site plan application into City Hall to develop the site into a one story retail and financial building. The site plan calls for one 3,500 square foot building and another 4,000 square foot building.

Green space that is part of the property will be used for parking.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:28 AM

Update on the new east end firehall, Firehall No. 7.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:31 AM

There are alot of changes planned for the Grande Marais Drain.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/02/design-...-marais-ditch/

Quote:
Designed for a major rainfall event such as 1954′s Hurricane Hazel, the Grand Marais Drain (often known as the Grand Marais Ditch) is in need of repairs and has been identified by the Essex Region Conservation Authority (ERCA), Landmark Engineers and the City of Windsor as “oversized”.

In 2010, ERCA commissioned a study aimed at “identifying alternative channel designs for an improved Grand Marais Drain with an emphasis on establishing a more sustainable, ecologically desirable and aesthetically-pleasing flood control channel”.

At a public information open house held Thursday night, engineers from Landmark presented a plan to reconstruct, repair and modify the ditch into a visually appealing and pedestrian friendly storm-watercourse for South Windsor.

After major rainfalls such as a storm last November, data from sensors inside the drain indicated that the deep ditch structure could only be so effective in reducing basement flooding in the South Windsor area and that the problem existed with “sanitary” sewers and not stormwater sewers that flow into the drain.

Proposed changes for the drain include varying design elements along the ditch’s length such as greened walls, box-culvert sections with pedestrian and cyclist access above and parkland area.

The redesign process is still in its public consultation phase, and the engineers will be looking for feedback from the community before they present a final recommendation at an open house on March 20th.

For more information, visit the project website.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/...ssessment.aspx

There's a few more pics at the source link first posted.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:39 PM

I grew up just half a block from the drain. We used to go skateboarding there in the 70s, it was lots of fun, except when you would wipe out ofcoarse, a pretty hard fall. It's great to see it being redeveloped into something more esthetically appealing.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:48 PM

The aquatic centre is supposed to be starting soon.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/03/windsor...roject-starts/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:32 PM

Work Begins

Looks like work has started on the new Aquatic Centre.

A tractor is out there today taking up the ashfault.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversideguy View Post

I saw that this morning as I was doing an early walk. It'll be great to have such a large construction project to watch take shape.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, I saw that today, I wanted to get some photos, but I saw a CBC van there with a video camera, so I expect to be able to link a video sometime by the end of today.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 10:01 PM

Downtown is looking pretty rough these days. :\

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:17 PM

got a couple pics from above, but cant figure out how to attach them without putting a url in. how do you attach photos snapped on a digital.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
got a couple pics from above, but cant figure out how to attach them without putting a url in. how do you attach photos snapped on a digital.
You have to upload your photos to a picture hosting site like photobucket, imageshack, or imgur, etc. You then have to use the url link and post using the image tags (the little image icon amongst all the other icons above the text box when you reply to a thread).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario