HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
I saw my first Lucid in person yesterday. It's a beautiful car but I questioned the colour being that it's in southern California and dark colours don't do well here. I checked out their website thinking that maybe only limted colours are available...but what I found on the website really shocked me. The model called Air Saphire has 1200hp and sub 2 second 0 - 60mph acceleration! I can't imagine that sort of acceleration mixing well with the public in the hands of many. I foresee much carnage followed by (eventually) legal restrictions on how quickly a car can accelerate if registred for public highway use.
High end Teslas have had close to that level of acceleration power for many years. There's an argument to be made that it's too much, but so far I haven't seen many calls for it to be reigned in.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 10:46 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
I saw my first Lucid in person yesterday. It's a beautiful car but I questioned the colour being that it's in southern California and dark colours don't do well here. I checked out their website thinking that maybe only limted colours are available...but what I found on the website really shocked me. The model called Air Saphire has 1200hp and sub 2 second 0 - 60mph acceleration! I can't imagine that sort of acceleration mixing well with the public in the hands of many. I foresee much carnage followed by (eventually) legal restrictions on how quickly a car can accelerate if registred for public highway use.
I can envision legal penalties in the form of electronically enforced and monitored technical restrictions such as speed limiting imposed on certain drivers for bad driving behavior. If you break the rules and become a public menace, we can legally reduce the performance specs of your car so you can't.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:02 PM

Thinking of getting the ev 2024 Chevy equinox when it comes out as it will be priced at 30k for average joes like myself.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:10 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Thinking of getting the ev 2024 Chevy equinox when it comes out as it will be priced at 30k for average joes like myself.
What's the range?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:14 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Awesome!
Lucid is the Tesla killer. In quality, speed, range, but not price
MotorTrend car of the year.

The model with biggest battery will get up to 520mi/835km on a charge.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
What's the range?
Car and driver says 300 miles so I could drive from Winnipeg to 50 miles short of Regina without a charge.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 12:33 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Car and driver says 300 miles so I could drive from Winnipeg to 50 miles short of Regina without a charge.
Not bad at all.
When will they hit dealerships?
With that range I could drive round trip to downtown Toronto and still have decent range left.

The Lucid (4-5x the price) will go from downtown LA to downtown SanFran on single charge as tested by MotorTrend

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Not bad at all.
With that range I could drive round trip to downtown Toronto and still have decent range left.

The Lucid (4-5x the price) will go from downtown LA to downtown SanFran on single charge as tested by MotorTrend
Supposed to be released fall 2023

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 1:28 AM

Quote:
GM's Canadian website says *starting* around 35K Canadian, not including freight or taxes. That's also for base model. The 480KM range is the most expensive trim option. The 35K+ tax model is only 400KM range. To get the 480KM range you need to upgrade to the expensive model. My guess is that after tax you'll be spoiling over 50K. Select limited pre-orders are late 2023 but website says spring 2024.

All auto companies do this, they advertise their top trim model options, at the base model price. Once you configure it the reality sets in.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Not bad at all.

The Lucid model you are referring to is the Air Grand Touring, a nice 213K Canadian plus tax, plus freight. You're looking at a final price of $245,000. A whopping 150K more than the top Tesla 3 model. At that price I sure as hell hope it beats Tesla in range haha.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
GM's Canadian website says *starting* around 35K Canadian, not including freight or taxes. That's also for base model. The 480KM range is the most expensive trim option. The 35K+ tax model is only 400KM range. To get the 480KM range you need to upgrade to the expensive model. My guess is that after tax you'll be spoiling over 50K. Select limited pre-orders are late 2023 but website says spring 2024.

All auto companies do this, they advertise their top trim model options, at the base model price. Once you configure it the reality sets in.
I might be able to get a better deal buying in North dakota and driving up after the sale but not 100% sure yet

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 2:18 AM
recession proof

8 month's of the year the range will be half that.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
If you live in Yellowknife....

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Not true. Here's the reality from a guy who actually owns an EV.

8 months of the year it gets 100% of its range (April-Nov). During the cold months (Dec-Mar) it gets 85-90% providing you pre-condition battery. If you don't then it drops to 65-70%.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 6:28 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I might be able to get a better deal buying in North dakota and driving up after the sale but not 100% sure yet
If the Canadian dollar is worth more by the time you're ready to buy it may very well be worth it.
You should find out exact custom duties first. Also if you buy in the US do you lose out on any EV rebate incentives

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 10, 2022 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 6:42 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Not true. Here's the reality from a guy who actually owns an EV.

8 months of the year it gets 100% of its range (April-Nov). During the cold months (Dec-Mar) it gets 85-90% providing you pre-condition battery. If you don't then it drops to 65-70%.
It's funny how everyone posting negatives of EVs doesn't actually own one

Travis, I think it's great you're an early adopter and enjoy your model 3.

Those privileged few (Canada) in the market for $180k+ vehicles won't scoff at an extra 35 grand for a Lucid, particularly considering better build quality/fit/finish and 277km more range.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:35 AM
recession proof

I was reading on the ev subreddit from a Saskatoon Model 3 owner: says his gets 50% range reduction in winter conditions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/electricveh...t=share_button

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
I was reading on the ev subreddit from a Saskatoon Model 3 owner: says his gets 50% range reduction in winter conditions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/electricveh...t=share_button
Likely has a Tesla that was 2020 or earlier that didn't have a heat pump, and he didn't pre-condition his battery. Makes a big difference.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 1:39 AM

Quote:
It's funny how everyone posting negatives of EVs doesn't actually own one

Travis, I think it's great you're an early adopter and enjoy your model 3.

Those privileged few (Canada) in the market for $180k+ vehicles won't scoff at an extra 35 grand for a Lucid, particularly considering better build quality/fit/finish and 277km more range.
Yep this seems to be the way haha. Im always fighting these wild incorrect claims about EVs from people online. Sometimes I just laugh, other times it gets annoying.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 1:48 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Likely has a Tesla that was 2020 or earlier that didn't have a heat pump, and he didn't pre-condition his battery. Makes a big difference.
Also random Reddit anecdotes when we have a longtime SSP forumer that owns one (10yr upcoming SSP anniversary for you Travis, 19 for me!)

Come on

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 11, 2022 at 2:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada