HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 9:00 PM
Real Estate Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyu13 View Post
Right next to the two towers, there will be a 10-storey retirement home being built. Is that true? How would that affect the property value of the two towers given that you are high enough and your view is only partially blocked?
I was in there a few weeks ago when a client purchase a unit in Phase 2.

If I remember the discussion with the salesperson in there (as well as the mockup) it's going to be an fairly wide 8 storey retirement residence.

Martin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 10:57 PM

I got a call from the sales office a couple of weeks ago asking if I wanted to make any structural changes and/or add certain things (i.e. water line for fridge, pot lights, etc.). I understand that builders will tend to charge more than the avg or current market prices, and some buyers are willing to fork out the money to have everything turn-key ready, but some of these prices don't even seem reasonable to me: 580$ per pot light; 530 for a water line, and 5000$ for a walk-in shower (not including a tiled floor, which I don't know if they would actually do).

Am I unfair in thinking these prices are WAY too high? Other than the shower, is it fair to assume that pot lights and a water line could be easily be afterwards? The only thing I'm thinking of doing through the builder is the water line just so that if they do it under the tiling, then I wouldn't have to deal with that later on.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators1 View Post
I got a call from the sales office a couple of weeks ago asking if I wanted to make any structural changes and/or add certain things (i.e. water line for fridge, pot lights, etc.). I understand that builders will tend to charge more than the avg or current market prices, and some buyers are willing to fork out the money to have everything turn-key ready, but some of these prices don't even seem reasonable to me: 580$ per pot light; 530 for a water line, and 5000$ for a walk-in shower (not including a tiled floor, which I don't know if they would actually do).

Am I unfair in thinking these prices are WAY too high? Other than the shower, is it fair to assume that pot lights and a water line could be easily be afterwards? The only thing I'm thinking of doing through the builder is the water line just so that if they do it under the tiling, then I wouldn't have to deal with that later on.
Builder prices for upgrades are always a joke.

The water line is really easy to do later if you have continuous cabinets from your sink/piping to your fridge. If you don't have continuous cabinets it is a pain in the ass and well worth the money.

The price of the pot lights is a rip-off during constructions when everything is open and accessible. They would cost alot after construction if they have to rip down parts of the ceiling and such. The builder knows this.

The joke to me on stuff like the shower is that not only is the price high but they don't give any sort of credit for the work not done...ie they don't have to install whatever other type of shower they would have installed otherwise. It is the same with stuff like getting granite counter tops. They now don't have to install another counter top - thus there should be a deduction before they add the price of granite.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 1:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Builder prices for upgrades are always a joke.

The water line is really easy to do later if you have continuous cabinets from your sink/piping to your fridge. If you don't have continuous cabinets it is a pain in the ass and well worth the money.

The price of the pot lights is a rip-off during constructions when everything is open and accessible. They would cost alot after construction if they have to rip down parts of the ceiling and such. The builder knows this.

The joke to me on stuff like the shower is that not only is the price high but they don't give any sort of credit for the work not done...ie they don't have to install whatever other type of shower they would have installed otherwise. It is the same with stuff like getting granite counter tops. They now don't have to install another counter top - thus there should be a deduction before they add the price of granite.
Pot lights should cost you about 150$, 200$ at most(and that's marked up heavily)
Waterline is really dependant on how far it runs, if its copper or plastic etc. it's likely worth saving the hassle like speedy said above.

As far as the shower, you won't get it cheaper than about 3500$ because the glazing panel alone is worth about 65$/sqft (marked-up) plus hardware if its a door(350$) and wall tile is another 10-12$/sqft.
My builder tried to charge me 6200$, and we were able to get it down to half that. There's still no credit for the tub they removed (~800$) but also no charge for the shower base they installed (~500$). Our builder would not do a tile floor due to concerns with leaking. (Vinyl shower base is choice of colours though).

Hope that helps!

Edit: PS with pot lights, be careful if they're in a bulkhead... the bulkhead will be framed to match the HVAC (or other service) contained within. If you don't ask for pot lights there may not be room for them later and you'd have to rip the whole bulkhead down. What I'm doing is paying for 1 pot light, so the bulkhead is sized to suit, and the switch is run to the wall. Then all i have to do is map the desired locations, fish the wire, and tie on 6 more lights. ---- err not me of course, but a licensed electrical contractor, with all ESA certifications and permits in place......

Last edited by ThaLoveDocta; Feb 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta View Post
Pot lights should cost you about 150$, 200$ at most(and that's marked up heavily)
Waterline is really dependant on how far it runs, if its copper or plastic etc. it's likely worth saving the hassle like speedy said above.

As far as the shower, you won't get it cheaper than about 3500$ because the glazing panel alone is worth about 65$/sqft (marked-up) plus hardware if its a door(350$) and wall tile is another 10-12$/sqft.
My builder tried to charge me 6200$, and we were able to get it down to half that. There's still no credit for the tub they removed (~800$) but also no charge for the shower base they installed (~500$). Our builder would not do a tile floor due to concerns with leaking. (Vinyl shower base is choice of colours though).

Hope that helps!

Edit: PS with pot lights, be careful if they're in a bulkhead... the bulkhead will be framed to match the HVAC (or other service) contained within. If you don't ask for pot lights there may not be room for them later and you'd have to rip the whole bulkhead down. What I'm doing is paying for 1 pot light, so the bulkhead is sized to suit, and the switch is run to the wall. Then all i have to do is map the desired locations, fish the wire, and tie on 6 more lights. ---- err not me of course, but a licensed electrical contractor, with all ESA certifications and permits in place......

Good idea on the pot lights!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 1:52 PM

The fridge and sink are each on separate sides of the kitchen, without continuous cabinets, so I'm leaning towards having them do it.

As for the pot lights, I'll check with the sales office or contractor/site super (if I can get in to talk to him at some point) to find out what they say and I may do the same as you, ThaLoveDocta, with having one installed so that it sets up the rest of the place.

Thanks for the replies!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 5:54 PM

Quote:
The fridge and sink are each on separate sides of the kitchen, without continuous cabinets, so I'm leaning towards having them do it.
If you really want the ice maker - pay the $$$. Claridge and several other builders run the water lines through the concrete slab which is easy before the pour but a huge demo / reno job after the fact. Your entire kitchen will have to be pulled apart including the flooring and a channel cut out of the concrete with a chipper (small electric jack hammer). The exception to that would be if your fridge opening backs onto the fan coil room or a bathroom, both of which would give you a water supply.
Quote:
As for the pot lights, I'll check with the sales office or contractor/site super (if I can get in to talk to him at some point) to find out what they say and I may do the same as you, ThaLoveDocta, with having one installed so that it sets up the rest of the place.
That should be okay but watch how you plan on running the wiring. Any drop ceilings or bulkheads will have at least some room inside for framing but the full height ceilings are straight concrete with several smooth coats over top which again means chipping to run wires. Just make sure you can get from "there" to "here" without hitting a full height ceiling.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 11:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The tower crane for La Tiffani 2 was erected today.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 11:36 PM
National Capital Region

9 April 2011 - site aerial by southfacing @ flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5604730920/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
Real Estate Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
9 April 2011 - site aerial by southfacing @ flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5604730920/
Nice...pretty much pictures on demand.

I have to ask WW...

Do you or a pilot you know get into a Cessna 172 and take regular pics of the City Skyline?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:21 AM

Great to see that the building is on its way up! They are apparently expecting to have the first people move in by July 2012, so long as there are no major delays.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:34 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETeam View Post
Nice...pretty much pictures on demand.

I have to ask WW...

Do you or a pilot you know get into a Cessna 172 and take regular pics of the City Skyline?
not me, pics are by chuck clark/southfacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 1:50 AM

Brick half way up Tiffani II as of Thursday.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:59 AM

I really wish this development had a better name.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:20 AM

And better colours...turquoise and brown/grey aren't easy on the eyes.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:50 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
And better colours...turquoise and brown/grey aren't easy on the eyes.
True, but still a step up from teal and beige.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:00 PM

Talking What do you consider better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I really wish this development had a better name.
It used to be "Lalique" if you think that's better. Rumour has it they ran into trouble with the copyright holder (www.lalique.com) and had to change it to something they were sure would not infringe on anyone's copyright...

Et voila...La Tiffani. Personally, I would never live in a building with such a stupid name.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringos View Post
It used to be "Lalique" if you think that's better. Rumour has it they ran into trouble with the copyright holder (www.lalique.com) and had to change it to something they were sure would not infringe on anyone's copyright...

Et voila...La Tiffani. Personally, I would never live in a building with such a stupid name.
Weren't all the floor plans named after PMs, too? IIRC, one of the nicest was "The Harper," make of that what you will.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringos View Post
It used to be "Lalique" if you think that's better.
Umm, I do not.

Quote:
Christ, why not "La Holt Renfrew", or, if you really want to sound classy and exclusive, "La Fabergé Egg"?

Why can't anyone in Ottawa give a development a decent, sensible, meaningful, and non-tacky, name?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:50 PM

I think the Kavanaugh is a good example...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa