HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 1:30 AM

I read a few years ago that Tesco, in fact, was planning just this sort of thing. oh yeah, here we go. Sounds like they're not coming to PDX any time soon, tho.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 1:55 AM

I think what's different about Fresh n Easy—and correct me if I'm wrong—is that it's a small format suburban model. I had a look at their locations in San Francisco: three stores, in far flung neighborhoods, with lots of parking, and still fairly large compared to small-format British stores. Nothing on Market Street, or Geary, or Van Ness though.

Tesco Metros and Expresses in the UK tend be on the main street, with no parking, in existing retail locations that would otherwise be a general purpose store. Without a business background, I'd hazard a guess that they've been so successful because they already had the distribution network set up to service their out-of-town big box stores, and it was simply a matter of scaling this network up. By analogy, if somebody in Oregon wanted to try it, the best people to do it would be Fred Meyer/Kroger or Safeway.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich
By analogy, if somebody in Oregon wanted to try it, the best people to do it would be Fred Meyer/Kroger or Safeway.
Or a local entrepreneurial, dreamer, Portlander.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 6:34 AM

When I lived in LA I used to visit the Manhattan Beach Fresh & Easy store semi-frequently and I also once visited the Palm Springs store. It is a pretty amazing place to shop. It actually reminds me of Aldi's, which is a German grocery store. It has a limited selection in terms of brands, but the best of any product you could possibly want. It is very affordable and their locations are small in terms of square footage, but you see them on almost every major street.

I wish Fresh & Easy would move into the Portland market, but I kinda feel like Trader Joe's somewhat fills that niche. It is small and mostly carries it's own brands, but the stores are just not that ubiquitous.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I think what's different about Fresh n Easy—and correct me if I'm wrong—is that it's a small format suburban model. I had a look at their locations in San Francisco: three stores, in far flung neighborhoods, with lots of parking, and still fairly large compared to small-format British stores. Nothing on Market Street, or Geary, or Van Ness though.

Tesco Metros and Expresses in the UK tend be on the main street, with no parking, in existing retail locations that would otherwise be a general purpose store. Without a business background, I'd hazard a guess that they've been so successful because they already had the distribution network set up to service their out-of-town big box stores, and it was simply a matter of scaling this network up. By analogy, if somebody in Oregon wanted to try it, the best people to do it would be Fred Meyer/Kroger or Safeway.
Exactly. QFC and New Seasons are it, and are already established.

The idiots behind Fresh and Easy built their stores in the middle of foreclosure land, and there are probably no residents living anywhere near their exurban stores anymore (cited on their wiki page).

Failed business model - demographics in the USA indicate urban in-migration, not suburban growth. Oops.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 5:35 AM

Downtown Portland student housing project resurrected

POSTED: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 03:36 PM PT
BY: Reed Jackson, DJC

Previously derailed plans for a large student housing project on Southwest Jefferson Street are resurfacing with the help of a new developer.

Opus Northwest originally proposed the 18-story, 380-unit high-rise building in 2008, but the project stalled when the company went bankrupt and left Portland in 2010. Now, Capacity Commercial Group, which partnered with Opus on the project’s original proposal, is trying again, this time with Arizona-based developer Phoenix Development Co.

Capacity decided to take another shot at the project because of the rising enrollment of nearby Portland State University, said Brian Owendoff, Capacity’s senior vice president. The school currently has close to 30,000 students, the most out of any university in the state. By 2030, that number is expected to inflate to 50,000.

“What is continuing to happen is there is demand for well located, purposed-built housing for PSU students,” he said. “(This is) will provide that much-needed housing.”

Capacity chose Phoenix Development because of the latter company’s success with developing student housing projects in the past, Owendoff said. Additionally, the company has access to large sources of public and private capital, which would be useful in developing a project that could cost upward of $50 million, he said.

The unit prices would be on the high end of the student housing scale, which means most of the students living in the building would be upper classmen or graduate students, Owendoff said.

Those students would be in close proximity to both the streetcar and campus, which is three blocks away from the project’s proposed 16,860-square-foot site, located between Southwest 11th and 12th streets.

Even with higher rents, Owendoff thinks the building would address the needs of PSU students looking for housing. The Ladd Tower, a project Owendoff helped develop in the area in 2009 when he worked at Opus Northwest, has succeeded despite the lofty prices of its units, he said.

“This project provides another price point in the market,” he said. “On a price-per-bid basis, we will be very competitive with newer-constructed, purpose-built housing.”

Project officials believe the building would also benefit the Central Business District, as well as the city as a whole. By adding 450 students to the area, local businesses could see a noticeable increase in foot traffic.

Additionally, the building would be the first large-scale project completed within the city’s newly created Education Urban Renewal Area. It could provide $500,000 of real property tax revenue annually to the city, and some of that could be used toward other future projects in the URA, though it is unclear how much would be devoted.

“It will be one of the first (contributors to the URA) and one of the larger ones,” Owendoff said. “A lot of the properties in the URA are owned by nonprofits that typically don’t pay property taxes.”

The project’s site is currently owned by the Portland Housing Bureau. Earlier this year, Commissioner Nick Fish said the PHB would negotiate with developers of student housing projects within the URA to potentially add affordable housing units to their projects. However, even though Capacity Commercial will be acquiring the site from the housing bureau, there have been no talks about adding affordable housing units, Owendoff said.

The site’s small size could present construction challenges, according to Steve Poland, principal at Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, which designed the project.

“We’ve got a 250-foot-long block line with adjacent buildings that are very close,” Poland said. “Getting the plan to work with that close of a proximity to buildings is the primary challenge.”

Fitting all of the building’s amenities – bike storage, a workout facility, ground-floor retail and multiple social activity spaces – into the design wasn’t easy, Poland said.

The hard work on the project’s design isn’t over yet, Poland added. It’s still early in the design phase and the project has yet to undergo review by the city’s design commission. As a result, the biggest challenges may still lie ahead, he said.

If the project continues to move through the design process, construction is set to begin in January 2013 and finish by the beginning of the 2014 school year.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 5:45 AM

Is this the half block where this building is going in? This would be an excellent, underutilized space for high-density housing...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:17 AM

Think I figured it out. The only land on this corner that is owned by the PHB is on the north side of Jefferson (plus the streetcar in the rendering doesn't line up right with the Plaid half block), so it would appear that they'll be demolishing some old fabric buildings and the parking lot and Plaid pantry will stay. Classy.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:37 AM

I think you're right. Portlandmaps indicates that those building are owned by the housing bureau, which matches what the article says. The buildings also appear to marked with the dreaded "U" sign, so the City may be keen to get rid of them.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:54 AM
Karma Police

That's the 1139 Jefferson project we discussed last week, although I estimated 16-17 stories. I was being conservative .... 18 stories is even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
The lot size is 200' x 84.3', or 16,860sf, a little narrower than a half block. They're proposing a 239,000sf building and asking for an increase of 2.1 over the allowable FAR of 12. Since 239,000/16,860 = 14.175 FAR, that means they're proposing at least 15 stories, maybe 16 or 17 if there are any setbacks from the property line. That's about as tall as the Eliot across the street, but still 10 stories less than the Benson a couple blocks away. Perfectly reasonable for that neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:59 AM
Karma Police

... And I wouldn't worry too much about the Plaid Pantry site. I think that any vacant lots this close to PSU aren't gonna stay vacant much longer.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 1:22 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

This is great news.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:48 AM

I just wish they'd tear down that teal building next door.

Hideous! It's on par with the old PSU student housing building.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:13 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

There's a downtown neighborhood association meeting for this one on Monday, in the Jeffrey at 7pm. Anybody going?

Quote:
Hello,

We would like to invite you to a special Downtown Neighborhood Association Land Use Transportation subcommittee meeting on Monday, July 23rd, and our general DNA meeting on Tuesday, July 24th. We would also like to remind you that we will be celebrating National Night Out on August 7th in the Portland State University Park Blocks with free food, drinks, and music for everyone. Flyers and agendas for all of these events are attached to this email.

The Monday Land Use Meeting is a double-header with a discussion of the seismic upgrades to Firestation 21. The first meeting is from 5:30 to 6:45 in the Eliot Tower 3rd Floor meeting room. The second meeting has an important CHANGE IN LOCATION. The second meeting will be a discussion of the proposed Jefferson West redevelopment. That meeting will be from 7:00-8:30 pm in the Jeffery Building 1st floor meeting room at 120 1 SW 11th Avenue (across the street from our regular Loaves and Fishes meeting location).

On Tuesday, we are pleased to present Oregon State Treasurer Ted Wheeler who will be discussing economic development and higher education funding in Oregon; both of these topics are very important to our neighborhood. Shoshanah Oppenheim from the Portland Bureau of Transportation will also be joining us to outline the changes that will occur on the Portland Streetcar in September. The meeting is from 6:00-7:00 pm at the Loaves and Fishes Elm Court Room on SW 11th Avenue between SW Main and SW Jefferson; look for the a-frame sign. The Board of Directors meeting starts immediately after the general meeting.

All of our meetings are open to the public and we hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Felicia Williams
Chair, Downtown Neighborhood Association

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:38 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Unless I'm mistaken, the original plan for the Jefferson West site was NOT student housing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'd swear this was part of a two building project where the city agreed to let the Jefferson West be torn down if the developer built replacement housing at the spot where the NW Film Center and parking lot used to be. The NW Film Center building was torn down and The Jeffrey was built (Googlemap streetview of The Jeffrey). Once The Jeffrey was built, the developer was going to build 18 stories of market rate condos at the Jefferson West location. I find it interesting that it's now going to be student housing instead of a condo building... but the economy, blah blah, etc.

In a perfect world, The Jefferson West building would be saved and rehabbed rather than torn down, and the Plaid Pantry & two parking lots along 11th between Jefferson and Columbia would be replaced and built up... but this developer doesn't own the rights to those. Their days are probably numbered anyway as PSU grows.

Wow, 18 stories of student housing here is really going to change my neighborhood.

Last edited by 2oh1; Jul 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:51 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the original plan for the Jefferson West site was NOT student housing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'd swear this was part of a two building project where the city agreed to let the Jefferson West be torn down if the developer built replacement housing at the spot where the NW Film Center and parking lot used to be. The NW Film Center building was torn down and The Jeffrey was built (Googlemap streetview of The Jeffrey). Once The Jeffrey was built, the developer was going to build 18 stories of market rate condos at the Jefferson West location. I find it interesting that it's now going to be student housing instead of a condo building... but the economy, blah blah, etc.

In a perfect world, The Jefferson West building would be saved and rehabbed rather than torn down, and the Plaid Pantry & two parking lots along 11th between Jefferson and Columbia would be replaced and built up... but this developer doesn't own the rights to those. Their days are probably numbered anyway as PSU grows.

Wow, 18 stories of student housing here is really going to change my neighborhood.
Going off memory, I thought the original intent was to tear down those two little buildings and replace them with a new low income building, probably something that also include market rate buildings as well.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 2:51 AM

Are there renderings of this?

Multifamily development may be 15 stories instead of 11

BY: Lee Fehrenbacher Daily Journal of Commerce - Oregon
10:24 am Fri, October 11, 2013

Quote:
A development group that has been planning to construct an 11-story multifamily building on the corner of Southwest 11th Avenue and Jefferson Street may make it four stories taller.
Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/10/11...#ixzz2hqj7cyFv (sorry, paywall)

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 2:58 AM

Oops nevermind, here's one from DJC :

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:31 AM

I thought this was supposed to be an 18-story student housing building?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:53 PM

Looks way better than the vague rendering in the design review months ago. I mean not amazing piece of architecture, but better than the earlier drawings. IMHO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland