HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 9:15 PM

I remember back in the 70s & early 80s before the massive expansion and Westmount was THE mall in London. It's only real competition was White Oaks.

Many of the malls that will survive the test of time are the ones that are smaller and have a more captive audience. In London that mall was Weston Plaza Mall which later became Cherryhill. It is basically the same mall as it was 40 years ago but it is surrounded by high density apts with a lot of seniors and students many of whom don't have cars. It never joined the gang of trying to become a destination mall but rather held true to it's original purpose.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 9:23 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That's actually pretty neat the way it is situated so there's one of the entrances on what is a surprisingly urban-ish street with all the parking off the side street. It's still ugly, but kind of cool.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I remember back in the 70s & early 80s before the massive expansion and Westmount was THE mall in London. It's only real competition was White Oaks.

Many of the malls that will survive the test of time are the ones that are smaller and have a more captive audience. In London that mall was Weston Plaza Mall which later became Cherryhill. It is basically the same mall as it was 40 years ago but it is surrounded by high density apts with a lot of seniors and students many of whom don't have cars. It never joined the gang of trying to become a destination mall but rather held true to it's original purpose.
One of the cool things about that mall is that it probably has the highest percentage of independent retailers of any mall in the region.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:08 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That's actually pretty neat the way it is situated so there's one of the entrances on what is a surprisingly urban-ish street with all the parking off the side street. It's still ugly, but kind of cool.
I know, I had the same reaction. I almost want to visit to check it out. If I ever pass through Shediac (I haven't since I was 17), I will pop in.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
You definitely missed out on the hey day of that mall. It was completely rebuilt in 1989 and was the best mall in London, and under local ownership. I loved going there, especially back when the theaters were upstairs in that now demolished third arm you mentioned. If you went there on a Saturday, you were lucky to get a parking spot in the lower basement level of the underground parking. Now, I don't even think that level is open.

All that said, I am quite impressed that the new owners of the mall that took it over in the year or so before the pandemic have managed to turn it around. The old owners, who also own White Oaks Mall, were in the running to host the Health Unit and when they lost that to CitiPlaza, they sold the place. It's certainly not a retail mecca anymore, and that mainfloor retail leaves a lot to be desired, but the rest of the mall is quite full with offices, the kidney clinic and the gym. A large accounting firm recently moved in the upstairs of the old Target as well. Definitely a positive transformation for the area, compared to how it was looking for the place 10+ years ago.
Seconding that, Westmount was a great mall in the 90s and early 2000s. Fond memories of going Christmas shopping there with my mother and grandmother. Less fond memories of going to Eaton’s to buy clothing.

That said, Masonville was my favourite London mall in the 90s, because of the mini-golf course and the big Loblaws (where Silver City is now). I also liked Galleria in the mid-90s because of the movie theatre and huge Eaton’s and Bay stores. I especially enjoyed the food court that was in the basement next to Eaton’s back then. I was on a first name basis with the guy at Mrs. Vannelli’s Pizza. I also bought my first Pogs at the Biway there.

I can count the number of times I’ve ever been to White Oaks Mall on one hand. I don’t think I’ve been there since 2007. One of the few times I remember going there was to go to Consumers Distributing.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:46 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here's one from St. John's NL which I believe hasn't been posted.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:50 AM
recession proof

Waterloo Town Square is a dying mall. So is Kitchener's Stanley Park Mall: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4498...7i16384!8i8192

The most bizarre mall I explored this year: Tillsonburg Town Centre
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8619...7i13312!8i6656
For some reason I didn't expect to see Old Order Mennonites (women with black bonnets) in the Walmart here.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:44 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Waterloo Town Square is a dying mall. So is Kitchener's Stanley Park Mall: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4498...7i16384!8i8192

For some reason I didn't expect to see Old Order Mennonites (women with black bonnets) in the Walmart here.
I never understood how Stanley Park Mall is still even open, considering Fairview Park is less than 10 minutes away.

Frederick Mall (https://goo.gl/maps/qo7EPfrNAB9dCE6r7) near Downtown Kitchener is another sad one. I used to shop at the Valumart there quite a bit when I lived on Lancaster Street.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 6:14 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Is Northgate even considered a mall anymore? I looked it up and I've been by it many times and just took it for one of the many box shopping centres on McPhillips.

Portage Place may get redeveloped and if so, it'll survive in a new form. If not, then yeah, it's not going to be around much longer as-is, I don't think. Cityplace I don't know if it'll get redeveloped or just continue chugging along as a food court, which is decently busy. Winnipeg Square will probably stick around with 300 Main right there.

In Edmonton, Westmount is barely a mall anymore. It has a small corridor of indoor shops and a food court but the rest has been redone into a big box power centre. I could see the remainder finally being dozed for either offices or more big box retail, but the high school next door and seniors in the area do keep the food court busy. I could see Northgate being redeveloped - its busiest segments are the big box retailers (Walmart, Safeway). Mill Woods and Bonnie Doon are set to be reimagined and redeveloped as walkable, outdoor town centres around the new LRT line.

The rest of the malls kind of have their niche
- WEM is a major local and tourist attraction with a wide array of shops, entertainment, and more and remains extremely busy
- Southgate is the next best mall and has a good selection of stores with only one location (Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel) as well as other destination retailers like Apple. Connected to the LRT and a freeway. Closest mall to the affluent SW.
- HUB Mall has student residences and university food, shops, and services and is a well used corridor between buildings on the UofA campus
- Meadowlark is mostly big box but the mall has a lot of health services that I don't really see going anywhere
- Kingsway is surprisingly quieter despite being the most prominent mall for the northside and having a lot of destination retailers but I can't see it really going anywhere anytime soon. It's also close to the Blatchford redevelopment so that'll bring in new customers.
- Londonderry 10 years ago I could've said wouldn't last much longer but they recently did a major reno and have attracted some new destination retailers (Simons, H&M) and doesn't really have dead areas
- Sherwood Park and St Albert's malls serve those communities decently
- The Outlet Mall serves as a local mall for Leduc/Beaumont/Devon and as a place to chill if you need to be at the airport as well as a bit of a regional draw for the outlet stores
- City Centre is planning a major rebuild of the west side, with more street-oriented retail but still keeping an indoor corridor. The East will probably remain as-is and has enough of a downtown workforce to keep it afloat.
- Commerce Place and Manulife could wither but I think they'll just putter along
Pretty much on point. Sad to see the concept wither because it's ideals especially in Northern climates is sound. A climate controlled town centre. The only things they got wrong was the obsession with auto-oriented streetscapes. My favourite malls are the Eaton Centres of Canada because despite the failure of the namesake chain they've done the best to blend indoor and outdoor urban life despite their sometimes bland exteriors. Not much of a fashion hound myself (Old Navy is my jam) but good courts and movie theatres connected to the subway will always be one of my happy places, even in the age of plague...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:

Definitely not a rare site in that area. The Tim Hortons in Norwich, 10 or so miles northeast of Tillsonburg, has designated horse and buggy parking with a rail to tie the horse to lol.
I actually found a picture online of it lol.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:

Went to that mall and town for first time in 2017 and was also surprised to see all the bonnets.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Definitely not a rare site in that area. The Tim Hortons in Norwich, 10 or so miles northeast of Tillsonburg, has designated horse and buggy parking with a rail to tie the horse to lol.
I actually found a picture online of it lol.

Conestoga Mall in Waterloo has horse parking, and an LRT station.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 7:52 PM

you see the bonnets in the Simcoe Walmart all the time as well.

Staying on theme, the Simcoe Town Centre mall is pretty dead too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8355...7i13312!8i6656

The tenant list is exciting:

https://www.simcoetowncentre.com/map

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 8:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ardene! Giant Tiger! Reitmans! Dollar Stop!

Get in the car, Honey! We are going to Simcoe Town Centre!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 8:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Isn't Tillsonburg church-central?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 9:50 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Don't forget Claire's, Hot Topic, Spencer's and Kernels. Maybe an old HMV / current Sunrise Records. There are businesses I see at Southcentre mall in south Calgary which I have no idea how they make rent let alone turn a profit. One place sells nothing but bath bombs and another does engraving on metal water bottles. I have literally never seen a customer in either one.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
If Cornwall goes, then malls are pretty much over in Regina, as it's the healthiest one they've got. It'd essentially leave Midtown in Saskatoon as the only strong mall in the province.
Part of my contract work for one of Canada’s mall property management company’s includes Saskatchewan in my region. Over the years one thing I’ve noticed is how Regina’s retail environment has changed a lot since the early 2000s. 3 of the 6 suburban indoors malls have turned into successful outdoor power centres, like Rochdale, Golden Mile and Normanview centres. But the remaining 3 suburban malls Southland, Northgate and Vic Square seem to be evolving and holding on in the growing suburbs with around 50 to 70 stores in each mall.

Some larger stores like Canadian Tire and Lowes have taken spots in those remaining indoor suburban malls where the Walmarts use to be before Walmarts gravitating further to the outskirts as stand alone stores.

Cornwall Centre is the only remaining downtown indoor mall since The Galleria converted to offices. I vaguely remember the Galleria with it’s food court area on the 3rd and lowest level.

Saskatoon meanwhile hasn’t converted any suburban indoor shopping malls to exclusive outdoor power centres that I know of. The Centre Mall, Market Mall and Lawson Mall have added freestanding/outside entrance stores/gyms to their malls and in their parking lots recently, helping maintaining a compliment of 60 to 80 stores in each of those mall. The Centre Mall last year went through extensive renos and added Cineplex Cinema in their parking lot. I haven’t been in a while but I believe the lowest underground Parking Level #2 is rarely used/closed to parking for most of the year in The Centre Mall.
Market Mall in Saskatoon south end has both floors of underground parking open but it's quite deserted outside Christmas time, in a normal non pandemic year.

Confed Mall on the west side of that city has never really gathered up it’s full potential for indoor malls but with more people moving in that area, it seems to be maintaining it’s clientele. Midtown Plaza basically has a monopoly for indoor shopping in downtown Saskatoon, Bayside Centre converted both levels to government and research offices when The Bay department store moved to Midtown in early 2000s. And the only other indoor mall in downtown Saskatoon is Scotia Centre and it’s always been the small quiet mall downtown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:09 PM

I'd argue that the Southland in Regina is in a much better position that the Northgate, though neither are great. Wouldn't shock me at all for Cornwall to be the last one standing by the end of the decade.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:

That mall is like Yorkdale compared to Kenwick Mall in Strathroy.

EDIT: Apparently Kenwick Mall rebranded to The Shops on Sydenham earlier this summer, and the new owners of the property have some plans to revive it.

https://www.jasloproperties.com/front-street-revival

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 10:03 PM

Windsor only has two indoor malls, Devonshire Mall and Tecumseh Mall.

Devonshire is doing very well and has become the largest shopping centre in Southwestern Ontario. Didn't see any vacant stores when I was in there last month. Tecumseh Mall has been hit hard by Covid and about 20% of the stores are currently vacant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada