HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 7:17 PM

just one more reason to be proud of my city

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 7:45 PM

Is downtown Winnipeg pretty sketchy at night then? I've never been to the city, but I'm guessing most people evacuate back to the surrounding neighbourhoods after work.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 7:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Is downtown Winnipeg pretty sketchy at night then? I've never been to the city, but I'm guessing most people evacuate back to the surrounding neighbourhoods after work.
No more or less sketchy than most other downtowns in major Canadian cities.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 9:05 PM

Which would mean not sketchy at all.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Empty. But not at all sketchy. I have walked downtown numerous times. The worst I have personally seen downtown is two women yelling at a bus driver for kicking them off for doing something stupid, or something along those lines. But really unless you think that the occasional person asking for a smoke or asking if you want to buy something from them, it is not at all sketchy.

And keep in mind that this is pre-Jets as well. A lot is happening downtown right now, with 15 000 + fans heading downtown every other night, as well as a brand new hotel, multiple restaurants and all night coffee shops, it is on its way to be a pretty spectacular downtown!

And speaking of which, I am off to make my batch of nacho's and cheese, and sit down in front of the 15'' screen to watch my boys fly through a hurricane!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 12:49 AM
I am a typical

Many people who work in Thunder Bay's downtowns run to the suburbs at 5pm (pretty much everything shuts down at the same time and all the people disappear; it can be quite eerie). It's part of the reason there is so much crime there; no one to see and report it. Cameras aren't as good a crime deterrent as actual, law-abiding people being present.

As long as you're not irresponsible, and are aware of what is going on around you, it isn't particularly dangerous. There are some interesting people there but in my experience they're harmless. Most people who get "randomly attacked" downtown do so because they somehow provoked one of the crazies.

The more dangerous areas are suburban big box areas and the parks along the fringes of the city near social housing developments. I rarely feel safe when I am near Walmart. It's the only place in the city where I've ever been threatened with violence by a stranger.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's not downtown Winnipeg where the murderers are committed or much of the crime. Most of all crime occurs in the city's infamous North End.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:32 AM

Sick and tired of these perceptions that dt winnipeg is hell...get the facts folks. It's no worse than any other downtown in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 2:44 PM

Homicide number three for St. John's early this morning. Quite the frightening scene from what I've been told from a friend who lives in the neighborhood.

Quote:
UPDATE: Shooting victim dies from injuries
Murder charge expected to be laid against man

A woman has died in hospital from apparent gunshot wounds following an early morning incident in St. John’s.

The 34-year-old man arrested for the alleged shooting — following a four-hour armed standoff — is also in hospital and is expected to be charged with murder.

Provincial court was told this morning that the man will likely be in hospital overnight and is unable to be transported to court today. The charges will likely be read to him by a judge this afternoon via telephone from court.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary responded to a report of a physical altercation on Boggy Hall Place in the Topsail Road area of St. John’s about 1 a.m. this morning.

Witnesses in the area reported hearing gunshots and stated that a woman was lying on the roadway in need of medical attention.

The woman was located and transported to hospital in critical condition, while the armed male suspect had retreated to a home.

The RNC evacuated several homeowners in the immediate area and closed Topsail Road from Columbus Drive to Colville Street.

RNC crisis negotiators established and maintained communication with the armed man for four hours and at about 5:30 a.m., the RNC Tactics and Rescue Unit used tactical manoeuvres to apprehend the armed man without incident.

The firearm has since been recovered by RNC officers and the suspect is in custody.

Forensic identification officers are currently conducting a forensic examination of the scene requiring Topsail Road, from Forbes Street to Road De Luxe, to remain closed until further notice.

RNC patrol services, forensic identification, major crime, K-9 officers, crisis negotiators and the Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU) had all responded to the scene.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rom-injuries/1

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
Sick and tired of these perceptions that dt winnipeg is hell...get the facts folks. It's no worse than any other downtown in Canada.
I only ask because on that map that was posted it looked like at least 3 murders were committed pretty close to downtown.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Hopefully with 2 years murder free, some people will stop thinking that Windsor is somehow like Detroit because we share a border. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Same thing happens in the US. Recently I have been thinking about moving back to the US for work. I have been looking into El Paso TX, which I have family ties to. Either way it has gone nearly two years without a murder despite the mexican side seeing a average of 38 per night or something crazy like that.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 9:10 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, El Paso has a very low murder (and I believe crime in general) rate.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 2:08 AM

So Winnipeg was on the news tonight. I never knew that Winnipeg is the homicide capital of the country. I swear sometimes i would think that it's Surrey. I think the news said Winnipeg is or is on the way for setting a new record for homicides in 1 year. They did also say that crime in the downtown only represents 5% of that crime. Still it seems like scary stuff.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 3:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
So Winnipeg was on the news tonight. I never knew that Winnipeg is the homicide capital of the country. I swear sometimes i would think that it's Surrey.
Metro Vancouver has gang violence. Winnipeg has "gang" violence (as in, "aww, that group of natives thinks its a gang!") and domestic violence. Vancouver is probably more dangerous for bystanders (but still, on a global scale, still a very safe city). Winnipeg is typically only dangerous if you're an impoverished drug addict. Most of the victims have been people caught up in drug addiction, or in troubled relationships. Most murders in Thunder Bay (which has nearly identical demographics to Winnipeg, but on a smaller scale) are committed by spouses against their partners, or between two close friends, and almost always occur in private homes, or in front of them. Bystanders are rarely involved although there is the occasional tragedy. In Thunder Bay, about 90% of crime happens at 5% of addresses. While the crime rate is high, it is also extremely concentrated. Most people are in no danger. Some neighborhoods here have virtually no crime at all. Winnipeg is the same way.

Quote:
I think the news said Winnipeg is or is on the way for setting a new record for homicides in 1 year.
Yes, it is. One case was a drug addict killing five people when she burned down a crack house after getting bad meth, but even discounting that it is still unusually high.

Quote:
They did also say that crime in the downtown only represents 5% of that crime. Still it seems like scary stuff.
Crime in the North End represents about 80% of it. Almost all of those murders have happened within a two square kilometre area. Something like four were on the same block.

Overall, Winnipeg is a very safe city. It just has a neighbourhood with a very high crime rate that casts a shadow over everything.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:09 PM

A guy was murdered in front of a Shisha lounge just off 17th Ave early Sunday morning, right in front of my gf's office. Scary shit!

That's 6 for Calgary this year I believe.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 1:51 AM
I am a typical

Not officially a homicide, but a 60-year-old woman was killed yesterday after a man driving a stolen truck (still at-large) t-boned her car. Her husband is in hospital in critical condition.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=166954

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
Awesome!

Gatineau at 4, in the last one, a pumpkin was used as the crime weapon
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 6:28 AM
I'm cheap

Edmonton is currently at 40 murders and potentially (most likely) 42 after a SUV was found with 2 bodies in it and bullet holes.

We broke our record of 39.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 7:43 PM

Montreal has 30 down from 33 last year.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...476/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada