HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
The state of Granville street downtown on the weekends for the rest of summer, I'm guessing:
On Canada Day it was busy there. But yeah, if stuff isn't happening on the street then what is the point (like the buskers I saw on Canada Day)? Altering bus service so a few people can sit while they gorge themselves on ice cream or hot dogs doesn't seem like the most efficient way of using street space. That's like half the number of people on a single average downtown bus sitting in the street... and this is supposed to be an amazing pedestrian experience?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
On Canada Day it was busy there. But yeah, if stuff isn't happening on the street then what is the point (like the buskers I saw on Canada Day)? Altering bus service so a few people can sit while they gorge themselves on ice cream or hot dogs doesn't seem like the most efficient way of using street space. That's like half the number of people on a single average downtown bus sitting in the street... and this is supposed to be an amazing pedestrian experience?
This was taken around 6:30 and they were already packing up other parts of the street so I guess it probably opened at 7 again. There was many more people during the middle of the day.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 6:58 AM

they used those tables and chairs last summer too - they got fairly well used - but its kinda funny even when the street is closed off many people stick to the sidewalks

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 9:19 PM

I think the street looks better with people sitting on chairs in the middle of it. What would be cooler, is a long row of picnic benches down the length of the block... like one big dinner table for downtown residents. Throw in some waiters and musicians and you'd have quite the atmosphere.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they used those tables and chairs last summer too - they got fairly well used - but its kinda funny even when the street is closed off many people stick to the sidewalks
That's because the interesting "stuff" is on the sides.
It's really only the street performers who take up residence in the middle of the street - which provides them with lots of space.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 6:14 PM

despite great weather yesterday there didn't seem much of a turn out on the street yesterday - was down there around 3 and it was slightly busier than these pics taken around 6:00 pm

pics by me

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 10:54 PM

Could it have been the weather out your way?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 11:10 PM

it was sunny and warm, couldn't have been a more beautiful day, not too hot

robson was wall to wall people however kinda annoying how crowded it was

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues