HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It's mid-rise proposals like this that can really add more character to the city's architecture. I wish that the other larger cities in Canada would realize this.
"mid-rise"? Really? What do you call the tallest buildings in Kelowna? Supertalls?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:52 PM

Excellent photo update on that last page! Thanks for posting. It's great to see the progress being made on Kelowna's downtown development, and UBCO continues to add (at a fraction of the rate of UBC mind you) some great, interesting projects.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
"mid-rise"? Really? What do you call the tallest buildings in Kelowna? Supertalls?
Calm down, princess. We all know that Canada has a very open definition of mid-rises these days. To Kelowna's scale, this is a mid-rise in comparison to everything else.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:47 PM
BANNED

I don't think a 4 story building is considered a mid-rise anywhere. I'm pretty the word "low-rise" is the word you're looking for

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:59 AM

saw some cladding on the 1151 sunset drive.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
saw some cladding on the 1151 sunset drive.
Same! It's coming along nicely. First couple floors are being glassed up. The tower is at the 17storey mark which then the architecture starts to change near the top. It will be a nice looking building.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:47 PM

New realistic rendering of ONE Water Street.

Last edited by KevD; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:53 AM

^ Nice development. Would look good even in Van City.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:45 PM

Looks good! Hope to see this one get built!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:48 PM

That looks great, hides the cheesy architecture of the Grand a bit too, just by being so large.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That looks great, hides the cheesy architecture of the Grand a bit too, just by being so large.
Mmmm... I don't know I kind of liked the design of the Grand because it gives Kelowna a different look from the rest of BC's major cities.

Don't get me wrong, I love One Water Street as a proposal but I'm kind of disappointed that it will be using a similar colour scheme that Victoria and Vancouver uses.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Mmmm... I don't know I kind of liked the design of the Grand because it gives Kelowna a different look from the rest of BC's major cities.

Don't get me wrong, I love One Water Street as a proposal but I'm kind of disappointed that it will be using a similar colour scheme that Victoria and Vancouver uses.
I agree that the light blue tinted glass of vancouver/Victoria is way over done and I'm pretty sick of it, but one way to look at it is that its just the prominent style of this era of highrise architecture. In 20/30 years, we'll have a totally new look that will be over done. As long as the architecture continues to change throughout the years, we'll have a nice skyline.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:05 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:

The Grand represented a big shift for Kelowna. I was living there when it opened, it was a big deal for the city at the time

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The Grand represented a big shift for Kelowna. I was living there when it opened, it was a big deal for the city at the time
As it should have been, a quarter of a century later and the Grand Okanagan still hasn't been rivalled in luxury. My only complaint is the stucco, it would be nice to see them upgrade that.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:29 PM
HVAC guru

^ yeah 25 years later the peach stucco is a bit much, but at the time it was the style.

I still don't mind it, it adds some contrast to the new stuff that's going up. It's crazy to see these new projects dwarfing it though.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:03 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

As I was in Kelowna for a week last week, I did indeed notice a couple of highrises u/c down Sunset Drive from where I was staying at the Discovery Bay resort complex. I'm taking it that's the ONE Water Street complex.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:31 PM

Glass going in 1151

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:39 PM

Does anyone know when Landmark 3, 4, and 5 were completed? My coworker is adamant we've been here since 2004 and I don't think this building was completed before 2006-2007 as we renewed our 10 year earlier this year.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Downtown hotel plans revised

Revised plans for a major hotel in downtown Kelowna now show a taller tower and the inclusion of 49 luxury residences.

The hotel at the base of Queensway is now planned to rise 32 storeys instead of 24, with the private homes on the upper floors.

"The hotel, and the stunning homes that will accompany it, will bring a presence and grace to the waterfront that will compete on the world stage," Phil Milroy, chief executive officer of Westcorp, said in a release issued by the company on Wednesday.

Other changes made to original plans include a restaurant on the 16th floor, putting all parking underground, and shifting the tower toward Water Street and away from the waterfront.

"We are really quite thrilled with where the design has evolved to, and we hope the public and council will agree so that we can get underway," said Gail Temple, Westcorp's vice-president of operations.

A conference centre, retail premises, and restaurant adjacent to Kerry Park are all still part of the revised plans.

Company officials say they will submit a development permit application to the city on Thursday for the new-look hotel. A hotel for the site was approved by city council in July 2014, but Westcorp continually pushed back the start of construction.

On Wednesday, the company said plans were revised in part to reflect market demand for new downtown homes.

As well, original plans envisioned a central podium containing a large parkade, something the company said proved to a "significant constraint" to the design of the building.

The hotel's redesign was overseen by GCA Architects from Barcelona. "They have designed 180 luxury hotels worldwide and (bring) a global perspective to the project," Westcorp's release says.

New plans indicate 174 hotel rooms, rather than the 214 that were originally proposed. The general shape of the tower is still elliptical, as it was shown to be in the 2014 drawings.

The tower will be capped with a "glowing beacon structure that will locate this downtown landmark on the night skyline," the company's release says.

Having a restaurant on the 16th floor, Westcorp says, "will provide a new and interesting public space in our city", the release says.

"We expect this new sky restaurant to become a must-see destination in Kelowna," Temple said.
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...539a4b807.html

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:55 AM

I really, really, really hope that it is the rose-coloured spandrel that I see in that render!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia