HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
As stated, I don't think this is a likely proposal anyway, but rather just a concept. Correct me if I'm wrong...

This is their initial bid proposal, and releasing so many renderings (preliminary as they are) suggest this is the vision they intend to build, if selected. There are other proposals, but I don’t know if we’ll get to see them all. Sometimes they are released, and sometimes not.

I can remember being very excited for this tower when it was the convetion center hotel, and Barnett was proposing a 980 ft tower - a lot for that time. Then, all of the excitement shifted to the railyards, and MW, and everything else, even Silverstein’s tower. But slowly, development has been creeping along 11th Avenue, and the surface parking lots are being replaced. That is the real Hudson Yards story, beyond the railyards, and what will make the Javits Center feel more like being in the heart if town. A tower here will be icing on that cake.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-building-boom

NYC Reaping Hudson Yards Dividends After Luxury Building Boom

By Martin Z Braun
October 18, 2021

Quote:
Hudson Yards, a 45-square block district of office towers, luxury apartments and upscale shops on Manhattan’s far West Side, is paying down its tab with New York City’s taxpayers.

The Hudson Yards Infrastructure Corp., created by the city to finance the redevelopment, has transferred about $663 million in surplus property tax and other revenue to the city since 2017, 80% of which was in the last three years, according to an offering document for a bond sale this week.
Quote:
The distribution is more than the $360 million the city spent to subsidize the interest payments on $2.7 billion of debt sold by the infrastructure corporation to finance the extension of the No. 7 subway line and a boulevard-lined park. It’s also more than enough to cover $230 million in cost overruns and future planned spending for the new neighborhood.

The city estimates existing and future development in Hudson Yards will generate $27.1 billion from the current fiscal year through 2047, six times more than debt service for the corporation’s bonds.

“Hudson Yards is a financial win for the city of New York,” said Mitch Schwartz, a spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio in an email.
Quote:
Hudson Yards got off to a slow start because of the Great Recession, requiring the city to step in and cover some of the bond payments until building progressed. But in the last decade developers have built or renovated seven offices buildings with three more towers under construction. Ernst & Young LLP, KKR & Co and Tapestry Inc. have already moved into the neighborhood, while BlackRock Inc., Pfizer Inc., and Facebook Inc. have leased space in office towers under construction.

In addition, almost 10,000 rental and condominium units and 8,500 hotel rooms have been built, with more than 25 million square feet of a planned 53 million square feet of construction completed. The district encompasses Related Cos.’ branded Hudson Yards project as well as Brookfield Properties’ Manhattan West.
Quote:
Asking office rents in Hudson Yards average $118.54 per square foot, the highest in New York City, according to Cushman & Wakefield, a commercial real estate services firm that prepared a development and revenue report for this week’s bond sale. Taxable assessed values of four completed towers in Hudson Yards fell less than 1% this year, compared with almost 12% for commercial real estate overall. Occupancy rates in the completed office buildings range from 72.2% to 100%.

To be sure, the pandemic did claim Neiman Marcus, the anchor of Hudson Yards’ tony mall, which filed for bankruptcy in May 2020. Still, the mall makes up about 3% of the overall development. The residential market is still recovering and hotels are struggling.

However, the district’s amenities, eco-friendly buildings with open floor plans, and proximity to the new Moynihan Train Hall and Pennsylvania Station, which is under renovation, have proved attractive to workers and companies, said Nora Wittstruck, an S&P analyst.

“There’s a lot of synergy around” Hudson Yards, said Wittstruck.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:08 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;9426627] and the surface parking lots are being replaced./QUOTE]

Sometimes I can't believe there are still surface parking lots in Midtown Manhatten, parking lots, in general, are just wastes of space but a surface parking lot, in the middle of Manhattan right by one of the biggest developments in NYC, not to mention the US in general. Fricking ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That's why its in the interest of the city councils and borough presidents to ignore the NIMBY bs because of the taxes gained via property. All those improvements they want can be paid by the taxes that these super tall and larger than a tree towers will command.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:53 PM

I find extreme cantilevers like this to be terrifying. I would never feel safe in or around this building. Same thing with the super thin supertalls being built. Being absolutely convinced that the building you reside in could topple over at any moment is no way to live. As much as I love tall buildings, they need to feel STURDY and all these new designs just seem to be tempting fate.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:26 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It’s people with your thinking that worry the Steinway tower is going to tip over.
Steinway doesn't look unstable in the least so I'm not sure where you extrapolated that from what I wrote.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I find extreme cantilevers like this to be terrifying. I would never feel safe in or around this building. Same thing with the super thin supertalls being built. Being absolutely convinced that the building you reside in could topple over at any moment is no way to live. As much as I love tall buildings, they need to feel STURDY and all these new designs just seem to be tempting fate.
So don’t live in them.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:01 PM
你的媽媽

Would be an impressive feat of engineering, and the materials look to be of high quality at least. But yeah, it's overall shape is quite ugly.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
Steinway doesn't look unstable in the least so I'm not sure where you extrapolated that from what I wrote.
Maybe not to you, but to most people who see it, that’s the first comment. I don’t know how you wouldn’t know that. But carry on.

Moving along, more relatively recent google views of the site…

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
1) The thing is, they're perfectly safe. A hurricane could (and likely will) run through Manhatten and these buildings would be fine. They're not built out of paper mache.

2) So don't live in or around them. It's not a hard thing to do.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:03 AM

How many floors?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
How many floors?
Don't know.

Board making moves in preparation for development....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:33 AM
New Yorker for life

This photo can be viewed in two ways:

- As a look at how far development there has come

- As a "quaint' view of the area before the massive developments still to come.

Either way, you can imagine a tower of this scale joining the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:06 PM

Hmm. This post has the building at 1,663 feet

https://www.designboom.com/architect...er-10-19-2021/

a team of black architects, developers, contractors, and investors is planning to make history with manhattan’s first skyscraper built by african americans and the western hemisphere’s tallest building. designed by david adjaye, the 1,663-foot tower is characterized by a series of stepped cantilevers. if approved, the new skyscraper would be built on ‘site K’, one block from the high line, hudson yards and NYC’s number 7 subway line.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
Hmm. This post has the building at 1,663 feet

https://www.designboom.com/architect...er-10-19-2021/

a team of black architects, developers, contractors, and investors is planning to make history with manhattan’s first skyscraper built by african americans and the western hemisphere’s tallest building. designed by david adjaye, the 1,663-foot tower is characterized by a series of stepped cantilevers. if approved, the new skyscraper would be built on ‘site K’, one block from the high line, hudson yards and NYC’s number 7 subway line.

It’s possible, the 1,500 figure could be a general roof height. Too many specifics we haven’t seen.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:51 PM
New Yorker for life

I would like to know where those numbers are coming from, but it’s very specific…

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/proposed-...-citys-history

Quote:
The project, if it moves forward as proposed, would include a 1,663-foot tower, two hotels, an observation deck, a skate rink, commercial office spaces, and the NAACP headquarters.

The proposed tower will feature a stacked cube look atop a podium, with each cube growing slightly larger and cantilevering out from the cube below as the building rises. Multiple planted terraces will be featured on the building’s east side with multiple seating options and water features.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:59 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Hopefully New York will get towers taller than Taipei 101!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:04 PM

Wow this thing is going to be even more dominating!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:08 PM

REW updated their newsbreaking article to say 1663ft. That seems like confirmation.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:17 PM

Wow, 1,663 ft. would be epic at this location.

The Midtown skyline is gonna be crazy 10 years from now.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:42 PM

New Diagram

I apologize that I don’t know how to post pictures to this forum, but please check my comment on this building on this page below. Could someone please add a diagram for this building and edit the one for 175 Park Avenue to show the 500m height?

https://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/new...s/18914?page=3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals