HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat View Post
Meanwhile there are still 7 active Clinton Condo listings, after that burst of sales last month. Very little activity on the listed 937 Condos as yet this spring. One of the two Z-haus units finally went pending, the other still unsold. So much for green shoots.
You gotta remember that the Portland housing market peaked almost a year *after* the national market peaked. Even if there were signs of "green shoots" in the national housing market, there is no good reason to expect PDX to follow suit immediately, especially when our unemployement numbers are generally worse than the national average.

Nationally, the housing bust is now a relatively old story, but in Portland it's still fairly new. If you recall, it wasn't that long ago when conventional wisdom held that PDX would escape the housing bust completely unscathed, and that a short "leveling off" in prices was the worst we should expect. This bubble is going to take a lot more time to unwind.

Too bad about the Clinton condos, though. One of my favorite buildings in town. That financing might not hurt the developers all that much; the bank who financed the project may be offering it in order to avoid foreclosing on the project (sort of a win-win incentive)...

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You gotta remember that the Portland housing market peaked almost a year *after* the national market peaked. Even if there were signs of "green shoots" in the national housing market, there is no good reason to expect PDX to follow suit immediately, especially when our unemployement numbers are generally worse than the national average.

Nationally, the housing bust is now a relatively old story, but in Portland it's still fairly new. If you recall, it wasn't that long ago when conventional wisdom held that PDX would escape the housing bust completely unscathed, and that a short "leveling off" in prices was the worst we should expect. This bubble is going to take a lot more time to unwind.

Too bad about the Clinton condos, though. One of my favorite buildings in town. That financing might not hurt the developers all that much; the bank who financed the project may be offering it in order to avoid foreclosing on the project (sort of a win-win incentive)...
You know, I use to really like the Clinton Condos until I got to do a walk through...from the outside and that first impression it looks great, but then the longer you are in the building, the more the lack of attention to details and how one lives seems to have been looked over.....seriously, who wants to live in a condo that has giant doors and tiny spaces that are disproportionate.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 4:43 PM

WTF?????

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/03/12...-condo-market/

Lending changes hit struggling condo market

POSTED: Friday, March 12, 2010 at 04:41 PM PT

BY: Melody Finnemore
Tags: Atwater Place, condo market, FHA, John Ross, Trillium Hollow

Stacy Cooper, principal broker with Portland Condos, says changes in lending policies have made some properties virtually unsellable. (Dan Carter/DJC)

Unit No. 100, a completely suitable space at the Trillium Hollow condominiums in Northwest Portland, is up for grabs. Unfortunately, it seems to be completely unsellable, according to Stacy Cooper, principal broker with Portland Condos.
“I have had five buyers interested in writing on this property, and have run the loan package through 10 lenders. Only one is willing to loan, and they will require 40 percent down,” she said. “This was not the case three years ago when my sellers bought the property. It has appraised above the list price, but even fire-sale pricing won’t get this property sold.”

Cooper’s experience is shared by many Portland condo brokers in the wake of the Federal Housing Administration’s new lending requirements for such properties. The new guidelines are dealing a stiff blow to a sector that already is struggling because of the housing market collapse.

As of Oct. 1, 2009, condo developments must meet a stringent new set of guidelines in order to obtain financing through the FHA. The new approval process, part of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, is intended to better insure mortgages and slow the rate of defaults.

However, the new guidelines also are slowing sales in an already sluggish market, said Tom Anderson, president and principal broker for The Excell Group.

“About a third of people use FHA loans, so you’re taking that equation out of the condo market,” he said. “There is still demand for condos, but a conventional loan requires a greater down payment and higher credit scores, so fewer people qualify. They want to buy, but they’re going to have to wait.”
Anderson’s listings include the Atwater Place condo tower in the South Waterfront District. Lenders took over Atwater Place and the nearby John Ross condos because of slow sales, and then held an auction for Atwater Place units last September to generate interest from buyers. A similar auction for the John Ross condos is scheduled for April 11. The new FHA guidelines undermine those efforts, Anderson said.

“There’s a lot of pent-up demand for these buildings, but they are just sitting there empty,” he said.

Along with loan requirements for buyers, the FHA guidelines include several new regulations for developers and investors as well. Among them, developers seeking FHA financing can no longer build within 1,000 feet of a highway, freeway or “heavily traveled road;” within 3,000 feet of a railroad; within a mile of an airport; or within 5 miles of a military airfield. Projects also may not be built on designated wetlands or within flood zones.

In addition, the FHA will not finance projects on property with an unobstructed view. Under the guidelines, condo sites can no longer be within 3,000 feet of a dump or a landfill, on a Superfund site, or on property with “hazards or adverse conditions,” such as high groundwater levels, unstable soils or earth fill.
“I understand that the spirit of the rule is to get infill in more pristine areas, but (under these guidelines) the whole South Waterfront would not have happened,” Anderson said.

FHA’s new guidelines also require projects to be at least 50 percent pre-sold before the agency will provide financing. That means there must be an executed sales agreement and evidence that a lender is willing to make the loan.
“This pre-sale thing is making a lot of buildings sit empty because they can be 30 or 40 percent occupied, but they can’t get FHA financing. So I think the Realtors would like them to lower that number,” he said.

Other requirements stipulate that projects must be deemed as primarily residential real estate; no more than 25 percent of a property’s total floor area can be used for commercial purposes; no more than 10 percent of a property’s units can be owned by one investor; no more than 15 percent of a property’s total units can be 30 days or more past due on condo association fees; and at least 50 percent of a property’s units must be owner-occupied or sold to owners who intend to occupy them.

Giles Rebholz
, a mortgage consultant with MetLife Home Loans, said that while these permanent guidelines may not be good news for some, the temporary measures included in the guidelines might actually help stimulate the market.

For example, through the end of this year, the pre-sale requirement has been lowered to 30 percent. “It does do some good things to boost that low down-payment segment of the market,” Rebholz said.

In addition, FHA loans for the new construction of high rises are easier to obtain. The concentration of FHA loans available for new construction and conversions has been raised to 50 percent, and up to 100 percent on existing projects, as long as they meet specific criteria, Rebholz noted.

In the long run, the permanent measures benefit institutions like MetLife Home Loans because, as an FHA-approved lender, they give the institution greater control in the approval process, Rebholz said.

“It has actually gotten easier for some of the larger, national banks to get projects FHA approved, so it’s not all bad news. It just may change who people are working with, and that can be a good thing,” he said.

Under the new guidelines, MetLife can issue an approval within two or three weeks rather than the previous norm of six to eight weeks. The requirements don’t apply to detached condos, so those are much easier to approve. And a one-year wait on applying for loans for condo conversions no longer applies, Rebholz said.

However, others who deal in the market are concerned about the long-term negative impacts. With condos experiencing a 10-percent loss in value in 2008 and a 10.4-percent drop in 2009, Cooper said, the new guidelines may drive those losses even deeper this year.

“If we can’t get the financing back on track, that will continue, and I think, as an industry, we are in serious trouble,” she said.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:43 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

So it would appear that FHA won't provide lending for any condo project in any core major city in the USA. As most have freeways, "major roads," and railroads in them.

It also appears to have gutted about 25% of the city of Portland out of this financial tool, as we happen to have several major roads and railroads going right through the heart.

Wonder if "railroads" also applies to underground freight and/or subways??? Streetcars? That would be too awesome! I don't know much about lending as I'm not in real estate, but it would seem to suck a lot of money out of a funding mechanism for infill development. Rail lines may end up being a liability and need to be torn up again and be replaced by buses. Good-by MAX!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
So it would appear that FHA won't provide lending for any condo project in any core major city in the USA. As most have freeways, "major roads," and railroads in them.
Well, if you want the government to guarantee your debt, you can’t be too surprised if the guarantee comes with some stipulations on their terms ...

It’s difficult to make the case that condo developers in major cities *should* get any government help right now, since most cities already have a glut of unwanted condo units. I don’t really want my tax money being used to subsidize developer profits to put up more buildings that will sit empty. Personally, I’d rather see the government use the condo bust to buy up underutilized real estate for parks and other public spaces.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:36 PM

^ ...and people don't understand that this is one of the major subsidies for suburban growth for the last 75 years... that and the tax deductions, infrastructure grant process, and... oh, never mind. I'm gettin' on my soap box again...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Well, if you want the government to guarantee your debt, you can’t be too surprised if the guarantee comes with some stipulations on their terms ...

It’s difficult to make the case that condo developers in major cities *should* get any government help right now, since most cities already have a glut of unwanted condo units. I don’t really want my tax money being used to subsidize developer profits to put up more buildings that will sit empty. Personally, I’d rather see the government use the condo bust to buy up underutilized real estate for parks and other public spaces.
I see your point about new developments, but doesn't this apply to current condo owners who want to sell as well?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
I see your point about new developments, but doesn't this apply to current condo owners who want to sell as well?
I don't think so ... Most of the text highlighted in purple appears to be "new regulations for developers and investors." There are probably new requirements for buyers, too, but that shouldn't be too surprising either because FHA loans were defaulting at very high rates before - (What do you expect, with only 3% down in a declining market?...) They had to change *something* ...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:27 PM

Skanska moves out of Beaverton

I'm not sure how much square feet will be needed, but Skanska announced that they will be moving from their Beaverton location to the KOIN tower.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 5:15 PM

Nike expands footprint at Beaverton-area offices
Published: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 5:43 PM Updated: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 5:43 PM
Allan Brettman, The Oregonian

Chief executive Mark Parker often calls Nike, Inc., "a growth company." Judging by Nike's recent expansion into office space outside the company's Beaverton-area headquarters, Parker knows what he's talking about.

In the past year, the company has leased about 100,000 square feet at the Cornell Oaks Corporate Center in Beaverton, another 60,000 square feet at the Woodside Corporate Park in Beaverton and the company is out looking for another 100,000 square feet. Last year Nike leased about 200,000 square feet at former Tektronix buildings.

That means the company now has employees in 20 satellite locations near the Beaverton-area World Headquarters plus 18 buildings on the campus. Nike employs approximately 7,000 full-time and contract workers on the campus and approximately 36,000 employees worldwide.

Asked about the purpose of leasing the additional office space, a Nike spokesperson issued this statement: "The acquisition of this new space is part of Nike's long term space allocation planning for the World Headquarters campus."

-- Allan Brettman; twitter.com/abrettman

http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-...t_at_beav.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:04 PM

Portland-area home prices, after declining 3.5% in 2011, are expected to rise 1.9% in 2012 ... and Seattle prices, after falling 15.1% in 2011, will lose another 7.5% in 2012 ... this is according to real estate research firm Clear Capital. This puts us at the #14 market out of 50 metro regions, up from #27 last year.

This is good news for PDX but I have trouble believing our market is doing that much better than Seattle, which I thought was doing a little better in terms of job growth, incomes, etc. Well hopefully it holds true for PDX anyway!

http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porc...s_gains_i.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:21 PM

It was eye opener to see how SW Washington drags Portland metro numbers down. We are not doing bad while still providing 70,000 jobs to washingtonians.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:08 AM

Apr 23, 2013, 10:41am PDT

Why Portland's tech-talent boom is good for real estate

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...-portland.html

Wendy Culverwell
Real Estate Daily editor-
Portland Business Journal
Email | Twitter | Google+

Quote:
Portland is among a handful of cities getting a boost from the growing need for talented tech workers.

Jones Lang LaSalle reports http://www.us.am.joneslanglasalle.co...Highlights.pdf the war for talent is moving beyond Silicon Valley and New York. The winners include Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland and others. ...

Portland's vibrant tech scene is also a boon for real estate. The city ranked fourth in the nation for rent growth in tech-centered areas, trailing New York, Seattle and San Francisco.

Jones Lang LaSalle called out Portland’s abundance of food carts as an attractive lure for tenants along with its embrace of the open offices that tech firms crave. ...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:14 AM

Jul 23, 2013, 9:42am PDT
Market Report: Good luck finding an apartment to rent
Wendy Culverwell
Real Estate Daily editor-
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...inding-an.html

Quote:
It’s only getting harder to find a vacant apartment in Portland.

NAI Norris, Beggs & Simpson reports the Portland-area vacancy rate fell to 2.04 percent in the second quarter while the average rent for a one bedroom/one bathroom unit rose $29 over the prior year to $826 or $1.15 per square foot.

There are 5,000 units under construction and another 10,000 proposed, with interest concentrated in downtown Portland and close-in neighborhoods.

The top sale of the quarter was the $97.95 million sale of CYAN PDX, a 352-unit tower in downtown, to TIAA-CREF.

The average rent for a one bedroom/one bathroom apartment, by submarket:

Downtown $1,402
Southeast $741
North/Northeast $952
Southwest $746
Gresham/Troutdale $655
Lake Oswego/West Linn $818
Wilsonville $686
Tigard/Tualatin $668
Beaverton/Aloha $699
Hillsboro $762
Clackamas/Oregon City/Milwaukie $662
Vancouver $645

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:30 AM

This is pretty funny, given the way my parents (my dad especially) trembles whenever he nears downtown and constantly lectures me about how dangerous the central city is. Sure, dad, that's why they can get those crazy rents.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 4:30 AM

^Too much to cut and paste here, but this is a good read.

Turns out cities are safest places to live
TIME.com
By Bryan Walsh, TIME.com
updated 12:11 PM EDT, Tue July 23, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/23/health...html?hpt=hp_c4

The original research report:

http://www.annemergmed.com/webfiles/...em/FA-5548.pdf

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:08 AM

oh, man, the comments on the cnn article...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
oh, man, the comments on the cnn article...
I threw up a little bit.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:53 PM

Most of us here have probably suspected as much for some time. But the perception of auto-dependent suburbs/countryside as safer is not likely to go away. We live in a country where about 100 people die in car crashes EVERY DAY, but if a single person dies in a train crash, it makes national news.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 5:42 PM

Apartment market is hot hot hot

Quote:
Are Portland-area apartment buildings the next real estate hot properties?

The local apartment market is suddenly so hot that some real estate experts wonder if it is being overbuilt. Permits were issued for 3,333 apartment units last year. Dozens of apartment buildings are under construction throughout the region. Dozens more are in the planning stage.

In fact, 136 apartment projects were either recently completed, under construction or proposed to be built in the region, according to a survey conducted by Patrick Barry, an appraiser assistant with Mark D. Barry & Associates.

“There are twice as many units under construction as there are units that have recently been completed. In addition, there are almost three times as many units proposed as recently completed,” Barry says.

Activity is so strong, in fact, that TMT Development is hoping to restart its stalled downtown Park Avenue West project by adding 15 floors of apartments above 13 floors of office space.

But Barry believes there’s no reason to worry the market is getting oversaturated. Despite the flurry of activity, apartment construction in the region is actually below historic levels. In fact, much of it is simply compensating for the lack of activity during the Great Recession.

And demand will continue to grow, Barry says, noting that the region’s population is predicted to grow by 25,000 to 30,000 people a year for the foreseeable future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics