HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 12:15 AM
Me?!?

Route 22 tract rezoned to commercial

Tuesday, July 13, 2004
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

A divided East Hanover Twp. Board of Supervisors has changed the zoning of six parcels of land on Route 22 from rural agricultural to commercial highway.

In a tie vote which Board Chairman Rod Nissley broke in favor of the change, the board voted to rezone land from the southern side of Route 22 adjacent to the eastern side of South Hill Drive and continuing east for 2,489 feet.

Don Smith of County Line Road said he asked to have the land rezoned because "we want to keep the commercial zone along Route 22. It makes sense."

David Marshall, who lives next to the property, agreed.

"It's ridiculous not to make it commercial," he said. "Maybe there would be manufacturing there, not a shopping area."

Former township supervisor Sally Zaino of Sand Beach Road said she previously argued against zoning Route 22 in East Hanover commercial "because I felt that it was not too late to prevent it from becoming like Route 22 in Lower Paxton Twp. with all its congestion, noise, exhaust and unpleasant appearance."

She said she was overruled and most of Route 22 was zoned as commercial. But, she said, one section was kept rural agriculture.

"This relatively small strip is green, contains water, low areas, slopes and residences," she said. "I see no legitimate reason to rezone this section of Route 22 and enough residential, environmental and aesthetic value in it to preserve the current zoning."

Supervisors Marie Beaudet and Keith Espenshade voted for the change, while supervisors George Rish and Rebecca Oller voted against it.

Township officials said there are no plans for commercial development on that land.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 12:17 AM
Me?!?

AWESOME plan!!! I've always loved NC, and this plan will make me love it even more so.

NEW CUMBERLAND

Council approves downtown proposal

Tuesday, July 13, 2004
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

Pedestrian-friendly crosswalks and period streetlamps are among the improvements envisioned for downtown New Cumberland by the Olde Towne Association.

The association unveiled a sketch plan for the improvement project last week at the Borough Council meeting.

Council tentatively agreed to work with the business group to obtain state grant money to fund the project. The Olde Towne Association is hoping the state will pick up 80 percent of the tab through Gov. Ed Rendell's Safe Route to Schools and Hometown Streets initiatives.

Gerald J. Shekletski, a borough attorney who presented the idea to council, said the group hoped to obtain money from Cumberland County. The rest of the approximately $1 million cost of the proposal will be funded by the Olde Towne Association. No borough tax money will be used, project backers said.

Council member Robert Edwards, who is also president of the Olde Towne Association, said the New Cumberland Foundation would also be involved in the fund-raising efforts.

"We're not asking council to allocate funds," Shekletski said.

Sketches presented by engineer Charles E. Wright, vice president of Navarro & Wright, a New Cumberland engineering firm, showed reconfigured intersections, with brick crosswalks connecting teardrop-shaped curb extensions designed to enhance pedestrian safety.

Trees lining Bridge Street in the downtown area would be incorporated into the new design. More trees would be added, along with 8-to-10-foot-high period streetlamps.

Wright said the sketches were preliminary concepts. Final plans would be subject to council's approval, he said.

Intersections targeted for phase one of the plan would be on Bridge Street between Second and Fifth streets. The crosswalk near the post office and the West Shore Theatre would also be worked on.

"This would be the initial phase," Wright said. "After we raise the money to complete this, we will look at other projects to improve the downtown."

Facing an end-of-the-month deadline for the state grant applications, council voted to support the plan, approving a draft agreement between the borough and the association, subject to review by the borough solicitor.

"If we find conditions that cannot be met by either side, we will pull the plug on it," council President Jack Murray said. "There are hurdles here, no question about it, but this approval will initiate the process."

"It is an ambitious project," Shekletski said. "But we firmly believe it is doable."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 12:31 AM

Was just up your way over the 4th. The riverfront seemed pretty nice, although we were just there briefly while lost... The surrounding areas were very pretty. Saw most parts of the city while lost at various times during the weekend. (I am very used to grid streets...If we lived there, we would have to get a GPS!
Spent most of the time in Hersey, and Stewartstwon for family reunions. We'll be back up next summer, tho, and would like to spend more time looking around...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 5:39 AM

great news for new cumberland...i was just walking with friends this weekend, and we found the coolest section. just behind coakley's is this parking lot, but walking past it is pete's cafe (great food) on a street filled with townhomes. i thought i was in midtown for a second. walking back to bridge street, we passed a lamp store, a karate place, offices and backyard bbq's only on one block! i was pleasantly surprised. my only problem with these new plans is that the section they are working on is already a well-working place. they should focus more on the parking lot in front of neato's and more north on bridge.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 11:21 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSpartan
Was just up your way over the 4th. The riverfront seemed pretty nice, although we were just there briefly while lost... The surrounding areas were very pretty. Saw most parts of the city while lost at various times during the weekend. (I am very used to grid streets...If we lived there, we would have to get a GPS!
Spent most of the time in Hersey, and Stewartstwon for family reunions. We'll be back up next summer, tho, and would like to spend more time looking around...
Hey cool!!! The city and the immediate area is gridded. If you were hitting lots of non-gridded streets, then you were kind of out there/off the beaten path.

harrisburger: I totally agree. I stumbled on that area too last year when we had a surprise b-day party for a friend. Prior to that I wasn't in or around Coakley's for YEARS so we decided to take a walk and found the same stuff. My sister and her b/f just got a house in NC, and I really like it there. I can honestly say I would move there in a sec. And since it's on the west shore, that takes a lot for me to say that.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 11:26 PM
Me?!?

It's funny how crowded this section of UD Road is getting...

Chain plans to construct Susquehanna Twp. restaurant

Wednesday, July 14, 2004
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

Area steak lovers may soon have another place to eat. Texas Roadhouse plans to open a restaurant at Union Square Shopping Center in Susquehanna Twp.

The Kentucky-based chain, which has restaurants in York and Lancaster, hopes to have the Harrisburg-area restaurant open before Christmas, said Robert W. Cornett, consulting engineer on the project.

"We could start building by the end of August," Cornett said. "It's an ASAP."

Plans call for the 6,923-square-foot building to be constructed on a section of the parking lot behind the Chi-Chi's Mexican restaurant. The Texas Roadhouse will have a seating capacity of 230, according to plans.

Township commissioners are scheduled to vote on the building plan at their meeting on Aug. 26. Frank Kessler, the township zoning officer, said he doesn't anticipate any problems with the building request.

Last month, the commissioners approved transferring a liquor license from Lower Paxton Twp. for the restaurant, Kessler said.

"It is going to be another restaurant patterned after the Outback [Steakhouse], and we all know how successful the Outback has been," Kessler said.

According to the company's Web site, the first Texas Roadhouse opened in Clarksville, Ind., in 1993. The chain now has more than 150 restaurants in 28 states.

Cornett said the company is looking at the Philadelphia area for expansion and described the restaurants as "family places."

The restaurant will close at 11 p.m., and on Mondays through Fridays it will open at 4 p.m. for dinners. Lunch will be offered on Saturdays and Sundays, Cornett said.

The restaurant will employ about 35 people per shift, he said.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2004, 11:42 PM
Me?!?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2004, 2:53 PM
Me?!?

Derry Twp. gets parking garage site

Saturday, July 17, 2004
BY MEGAN WALDE
Of The Patriot-News

After years of talk about redeveloping downtown Hershey, at least one piece of the latest plan is moving forward.

Members of the Derry Township Industrial and Commercial Development Authority approved a deal Thursday night to buy the three-acre site next to the former Hershey Press Building on Chocolate Avenue.

The authority plans to build a transportation center and parking garage at the site.

Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. sold the property to the authority for $1, with restrictions, in lieu of other contributions to the project. The property's fair market value is $913,000.

The deal caveats include a requirement for Hershey Entertainment to cover the cost of any environmental cleanup that might be needed. The authority cannot use the site for anything other than the transportation center.

The project includes a three-level parking structure where the Hershey Laundry sits. A pedestrian bridge will span rail lines behind the property and connect the garage to a bus terminal on Park Boulevard.

The top level of parking is primarily at street level, as depicted in an artist's drawing.

The property sale agreement says work should begin on Phase I of the project by December, with completion slated for Oct. 31, 2005.

Phase I includes a two-level, 250-space parking area next to the press building, which Hershey Entertainment is renovating for use as the company's headquarters.

The authority envisions the center as a hub for cars, buses and, eventually, commuter rail -- and possibly monorail and trolley lines.

The authority received about $3.2 million in federal grant money for the project, money it stands to lose if construction doesn't begin this fall. The authority has asked the state for part of the cost.

The authority will advertise for construction bids with a bid opening set for the end of August.

Meanwhile, Hershey Entertainment officials are working with a development team led by Crossgates Inc. to finalize a design for 11 acres the company owns downtown. The team includes Brownstone Real Estate Co. of Palmyra, Benatec Associates of New Cumberland and Buchart-Horn of York.

Dollar figures are not yet available, spokesman Garrett Gallia said.

Derry Twp. residents were divided over previous downtown proposals. Residents said they wanted to see the downtown revived, but they wanted to avoid attracting hordes of tourists.

That sentiment led the Hershey Trust Co. to abandon its plan of developing a $60 million to $80 million entertainment and shopping center in 2002.

Hershey Entertainment began work this spring to refurbish the former Hershey Press Building, which was last Poser's department store.

The second and third floors will become Hershey Entertainment headquarters, while the company plans to lease the 24,000-square-foot first floor to a mix of retail and service companies, Gallia said.

Interior renovations are scheduled to begin this fall. The building should be ready to reopen by the end of 2005.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
Me?!?

L. Paxton vote nears on disputed Wal-Mart

Monday, July 19, 2004
BY KELLY BOTHUM
Of The Patriot-News

Circle the massive parking lot at the Swatara Twp. Wal-Mart Supercenter at just about any hour and there's a good bet the front parking area resembles a used-car lot.

Rows and rows of vehicles parked near the entrance, driven by shoppers looking for the cheapest prices on towels and tuna fish.

That's the way Wal-Mart likes it -- busy.

The scene may be similar in Lower Paxton Twp., if plans for a proposed 208,000-square-foot supercenter on the site of the Holy Name of Jesus Church and School are approved.

That's not what Jay Nenninger would like.

The Lower Paxton Twp. resident is one of about 50 members of a grass-roots group -- Residents for Responsible Growth -- fighting plans for the Wal-Mart.

Nenninger lives on Blue Bird Avenue and worries that his residential street could wind up as a short-cut entrance, bringing motorists to Wal-Mart 24 hours a day. He's not pleased with any store coming into his neighborhood, and the idea that it could be the world's largest retailer stings a little more.

"I don't want to live in Wal-Mart's driveway," he said.

A focused opposition:

Lower Paxton already boasts a slew of retail stores along Route 22. But the plans for Wal-Mart have inspired outrage that the other stores have not, officials say.

Across the country, Wal-Mart, the mega-retailer known for its big-box buildings and discount prices, is facing attacks from residents.

More than 240 communities have successfully fought to keep Wal-Mart out, said Al Norman, founder of Sprawl-Busters, a Massachusetts-based group that helps residents battle big-box retailers.

With Wal-Mart planning to build about 80 supercenters and renovate about 140 discount stores into supercenters this fiscal year, the retailer is pushing an aggressive expansion plan.

Lower Paxton Twp. supervisors will vote on the Wal-Mart proposal at their Aug. 3 meeting. The board was set to take action this week, but store representatives requested an extension to address township concerns about the plan. Last week, Wal-Mart submitted plans for an alternative exterior for the building that includes canopies and a red bricklike design.

If the Wal-Mart plan is approved in Lower Paxton, a replacement for the church and school would be built on a site in West Hanover Twp., pending approval there.

Protesters turn out:

The prospect of Wal-Mart on Route 22 has brought hundreds of people to Lower Paxton Twp. meetings since plans were unveiled in January.

Wearing "Stop Wal-Mart" and "Big Box

Old Posted Jul 20, 2004, 10:22 PM
Me?!?

Hard to believe the crane is coming down already. That building went up so quick!!! And it is to open in Jan. now instead of Feb. Not bad considering it was supposed to be May/June before it opened.

Removing crane will shut down 2nd Street

Tuesday, July 20, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

What goes up, must come down.

So it is with the bright yellow 20-story crane that has towered over Harrisburg's Market Square for the past six months.

But dismantling and removing the giant steel monstrosity won't be easy. And it will affect evening traffic patterns in the city all next week.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed announced yesterday that the first block of North Second Street -- from Market to Walnut streets -- will be closed nightly from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., beginning Monday.

According to the construction schedule, the closings will last at least a week. However, bustling Second Street will be open for nighttime bar and restaurant business on July 30. It will close again from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 31 and Aug. 1.

Plans call for the crane removal to be completed by the evening of Aug. 1, with normal traffic patterns resuming thereafter.

Calling the crane an "engineering marvel," Reed said its operation has been a curiosity attraction, with many people pausing to watch as it heaved steel girders into the sky.

The crane also speeded construction of the 18-story Market Square Plaza building, the newest addition to the city's skyline.

The building's facade and superstructure are now fully in place. However, interior finishing work remains, officials said.

Situated next to the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers at 17 N. Second St., the $24.2 million building will house 311,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, convention room, parking and deluxe offices.

It is to open in January.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2004, 3:57 AM

glad to hear market plaza is coming along quite nicely
eastside, do you remember when that restaurant in front of the parking garage on 2nd street is supposed to begin construction? also, are there any plans for the lot next to fisaga? when i was there yesterday, it seemed that those two places really detract from restaurant row...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2004, 9:30 PM
Me?!?

harrisburger: The last I heard, the restaurant on 2nd is supposed to begin construction this fall and will be ready for next Spring.

As for the lot next to Fisaga, not that I know of. I'm sure the owner of that lot, while a fairly small spot, makes a lot of $ in parking. They would probably have to give the person(s) who own it a substantial amount of money for them to sell.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2004, 9:00 PM
Me?!?

Middletown really needs the help. It's a nice place, but has taken a nose-dive overt he years...

Middletown to map 'Main Street' plans

Thursday, July 22, 2004
From staff reports

A nonprofit group is working to get Middletown designated as a "Main Street" community, which would lead to state money for economic development.

The Greater Middletown Economic Development Corp. is seeking the designation. To qualify for the grants, the group is holding a series of five public meetings to develop a vision for the community.

The first meeting takes place tonight at 7 in the Middletown Area High School cafeteria. Other meetings are planned for the next few months.

The Main Street program is a five-year program designed to help a community's downtown economic development. The state Department of Community and Economic Development runs the program.

The corporation was formed to promote business development and improvement in Middletown, Highspire, Royalton, and Londonderry and Lower Swatara townships.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2004, 12:18 AM
Me?!?

Here we go again. F*cking NIMBYs in Cumberland Co. If they ruin this for us I swear I will never set foot in that county again. They are always soooo far behind the rest of the area in EVERYTHING.

Rail advocates warn against 'splintering'

Cumberland County stance threatens funding, they say

Friday, July 23, 2004
BY DAN MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - The midstate may forfeit a commuter rail if Cumberland County commissioners don't get on board with the project, advocates of the proposed Corridor One line told them yesterday.

At a weekly commissioners meeting, Modern Transit Partnership Chairman Gerald Morrison urged the board to reconsider basing its approval of the rail line west of the Susquehanna River on a three-year ridership test of Amtrak's Lancaster-to-Harrisburg line.

Morrison warned that if the region does not speak with "one voice" to Washington, the federal government is not likely to fund the project. Federal funding is considered essential to bringing Corridor One to the midstate.

"What you're doing is, you are splintering the region," he told the commissioners.

The transit partnership considers the Lancaster-to-Harrisburg phase as the first in an $80 million project, which would bring commuter rail to east Mechanicsburg by late 2007 and to Carlisle by 2010.

The Cumberland board signaled no change of position. Commissioner Rick Rovegno said any attempt to build or operate a commuter rail system in Cumberland County "without our express support" would be resisted "to the fullest extent of the law."

Rovegno objected to Morrison's contention that Cumberland's position threatens to derail the proposal.

"It's entirely appropriate that we can move forward with service between Harrisburg and Lancaster and use that to develop better forecasting models to make more informed decisions, and that's all we're asking for," he said.

Dauphin County Commissioner Nick DiFrancesco, however, is confident that because the proposal enjoys strong support from Pennsylvania's congressional delegation, Corridor One will get federal funding even without Cumberland's backing.

Nonetheless, the commuter rail partnership will have a tougher time selling the proposal to Washington without Cumberland's full participation, DiFrancesco said.

"Once you start to break off pieces of it, it is less stable. I don't necessarily think it will be derailed," he said.

Dauphin County Commissioner George Hartwick said that basing the future of Corridor One on an analysis of Harrisburg-to-Lancaster ridership could be setting the project up for failure.

The test would not take into consideration the estimated 38,500 people who commute daily from Cumberland to Dauphin or vice versa, he said.

One reason Cumberland County is reluctant to commit fully is because it is increasingly interested in a Norfolk Southern railroad proposal to increase its freight hauling capacity in 13 states. That would reduce truck traffic throughout the Interstate 81 corridor. Rovegno stopped short of saying the federal government would not fund both the Norfolk Southern and Corridor One ventures.

Cumberland is "the hinge pin of the whole area" for freight distribution, Rovegno said. "We have to get this decision right, and that's it."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2004, 12:21 AM
Me?!?

Pretty cool...

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED

City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
19 July 2004

NEW UPS STORE “WRAPS UP” DOWNTOWN

Harrisburg, PA – Downtown businesses and visitors in need of shipping and document services now have a place to turn in the heart of the city.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today officially dedicated the new branch of The UPS Store in downtown Harrisburg. Located on the Market Street side of Strawberry Square, the store will offer packing, shipping and mailbox services, as well as copying, binding, finishing and other document services.

Store owner Tom Conners said Harrisburg has a strong market for a store like this to service the many downtown businesses and office centers. “We are delighted to be located in downtown Harrisburg,” said Conners.

The new UPS Store will provides customers with the last opportunity in the city each day for air shipment. Packages can be mailed as late as 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

In addition, the store offers a range of office supplies, including printer cartridges and paper. “This is a unique feature of the store,” said Conners, “because there is currently no other office supply store in the downtown.”

“The UPS Store will be a great contribution to Harrisburg’s existing reputation as a convenient place to live and work,” said Mayor Reed.

The UPS Store and its sister company Mail Boxes Etc. have over 4,500 locations in more than 40 countries and territories. Each UPS Store franchise is independently owned and operated.

The UPS Store is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information, contact Tom Conners at (717) 221-0200 or visit www.theupsstore.com.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2004, 4:33 PM
Me?!?

Kind of funny in a way...

AT&T to purchase space in Verizon building

Saturday, July 24, 2004
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

AT&T-Pennsylvania has agreed to purchase more than 18,000 square feet of space in the Verizon Communications central office facility at 210 Pine St. in Harrisburg for nearly $5.7 million.

The deal, which was approved by the state Public Utility Commission yesterday, came about because AT&T's 20-year lease on the space expired last Dec. 31 and Verizon refused to renew the lease on more than a month-to-month basis, according to a PUC document.

The huge building is Verizon's main switching center for the city of Harrisburg and has more than 303,000 square feet of space. Most of the telephone lines to local homes and businesses, known as local loops, terminate there.

Verizon competitors such as AT&T lease space in the building for their switches and other equipment. The companies connect their switches to the local loops of business and residential customers they take away from Verizon.

AT&T, which announced this week that it would stop actively marketing telephone service to residential customers, has had space in the Pine Street building for many decades. The most recent lease was negotiated in 1983, around the time of the court-ordered breakup of AT&T. At that time, AT&T was limited to offering long-distance service, and Bell of Pennsylvania, a predecessor of Verizon, inherited most of the space in the building.

Verizon spokesman Lee Gierczynski confirmed that his company had refused to renew the lease. He said AT&T, for historical reasons, is in a different category than newer competitors that are allowed to lease space under co-location agreements.

Moving out of Pine Street building would have been costly to AT&T and potentially disruptive to local telecommunications service, according to the PUC.

The purchase price of $303 per square foot was negotiated with the assistance of an unnamed third party. The 18,000-plus square feet includes about 3,000 square feet of shared common area.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2004, 4:35 PM
Me?!?

It's pretty neat to think that our terminal is one of the first to be built after 9/11. I am guessing we will be the guinea pigs for a few things.

HIA to get money for equipment

Saturday, July 24, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The Transportation Security Administration will pay $4 million to help cover the cost of a baggage-screening system in the new terminal scheduled to open next month at Harrisburg International Airport.

The payment will reimburse the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns and operates the airport, for money it already has spent on a conveyor belt, software and power apparatus for the system, HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa said.

Explosives-detection equipment is built into the basement baggage-conveyor system.

"TSA continues to work with individual airports on the development of airport-specific permanent solutions to efficiently screen all checked luggage for explosives and to enhance customer service," said retired Navy Rear Adm. David M. Stone, the agency's acting administrator.

HIA already has received $5 million from the Federal Aviation Administration toward the $17.5 million cost of the system and is hoping to get the remaining $8.5 million from the TSA, Testa said.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2004, 12:29 AM
Me?!?

Oh Cumberland County, how did you get so lost? Can you not see the congestion in YOUR county? Some of the worst traffic I have experienced EVER was in Cumberland County (the Pike @ rush hour on a Friday...need I say more?).

County orders transit study

Probe to focus on gridlock

Tuesday, July 27, 2004
BY MATT MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - For months, Cumberland County commissioners have been embroiled in a battle about the proposed Corridor One midstate commuter-rail system.

Still, they know there is much more to the county's transportation picture than whether a passenger train rumbles into the West Shore.

There are planes, trucks, cars -- and freight trains -- to consider, too.

So commissioners have ordered the county transportation authority to study every aspect of transportation affecting Cumberland and to devise options to deal with existing and anticipated problems.

"We all realize that transportation has to be at the top of this administration's priorities," Commissioner Rick Rovegno said.

The countywide exam, expected to take at least a year, will focus on issues from traffic gridlock to taking tractor-trailers off highways by giving companies more options to ship freight by rail.

It also is likely to address criticisms commissioners are voicing about Capital Area Transit, the region's bus provider.

The freight rail option is atop the commission's list because of a Norfolk Southern proposal to expand its freight service in the Northeast. Company officials have said that could take hundreds of thousands of trucks off the road and shift their cargoes to rail cars.

Commission Chairman Bruce Barclay called that an attractive option, especially if it cuts truck traffic on Interstate 81.

"For every truck you get off the road, that's a home run," Barclay said. "If that freight could be on a railroad track instead of the highway it would be beneficial to every resident of the county."

Commissioner Gary Eichelberger said increased freight rail use "would provide a far greater benefit for the dollar than Corridor One. ... I'd much rather take a truck off the road than a car."

A federal grant recently was secured to bring a rail spur to the Allen Distribution warehouse complex on Carlisle's west end, Eichelberger said, adding that more such initiatives are needed.

Rovegno said consideration should be given to encouraging the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to create truck-dedicated lanes on I-81 to lessen the need for cars and tractor-trailers to mix.

The old Cumberland Valley Railroad bridge could become part of a "bus-dedicated route" to give commuters a better, faster option to travel between Harrisburg and the West Shore, he said.

Serious steps to promote car-pooling and to encourage the state and other major employers to stagger employee work schedules to shift traffic away from rush hours also might ease pressure on the highways, Rovegno said.

Barclay said the Carlisle Airport must be examined as well because the privately owned strip in South Middleton Twp. is important economically to the county's midsection.

All three commissioners said CAT should be more innovative to attract riders and called for more turnover in the membership of its board.

"CAT needs an injection of new blood," Rovegno said.

Dick Miller, chairman of the CAT board, said the makeup of the seven-member panel is up to commissioners in Dauphin and Cumberland counties and Harrisburg city officials. Harrisburg and Cumberland each appoint two members for four-year terms and Dauphin County names three members.

Miller called Cumberland's transit study a "positive step" and offered CAT's advice and information.

"I'd welcome any input they have. We try a lot of different things, but if they have other ideas, we'll welcome them," he said.

James Szymborski, executive director of the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission, said Cumberland's study won't have to start from scratch.

His agency released a regional transportation plan in late 2003, he said, and the Harrisburg Area Transportation Study addresses many crucial transit concerns in its 2005-08 project list.

Szymborski agreed that transportation is the midstate's No. 1 issue "because of the press it has received and the [traffic] congestion people are experiencing."

Many problems are due to poor or nonexistent planning that "destroyed the functionality of roads," such as the Carlisle Pike on the West Shore, he said. Such roads were intended as through-ways, he said, but instead are choked with driveways.

"We need to convince developers and municipalities that they have to take a close look at where these projects are and the traffic they will generate," Szymborski said. "We're starting to see that attitudinal change."

Eichelberger said one aim of Cumberland's study -- an aim likely to be popular with motorists -- will be to find ways to eliminate the many traffic choke points that irritate commuters.

"It's not that you need one big solution," he said. "You need plenty of little solutions."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2004, 12:30 AM
Me?!?

Help sought to jump-start plan for HIA train station

Wednesday, July 28, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Dauphin County commissioners have appealed to federal lawmakers for help in moving along the stalled plan to build an Amtrak train station at Harrisburg International Airport.

The commissioners sent letters last week to U.S. Sens. Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum, both Republicans, and U.S. Rep. Tim Holden, D-Schuylkill County, asking them to "facilitate" a meeting with Amtrak officials and airport officials.

"It is important to us that we bring all interested parties together as soon as possible to discuss the foot-dragging that has impeded the progress of this project to date," Commissioners Jeffrey Haste, Dominic DiFrancesco and George Hartwick III wrote. "As Dauphin County commissioners, we are deeply concerned at Amtrak's failure to make this project a priority."

HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa complained last month that Amtrak officials weren't cooperating with plans to relocate the station from Middletown to HIA, even though the airport and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will finance the $11 million project.

DiFrancesco said the commissioners sent the letters because "we've hit this impasse supposedly, and we're not moving forward."

He called the new train station "critical" to the airport's expansion and to the Corridor One midstate commuter rail system.

Representatives of both Specter and Santorum said the state's two senators would be glad to help set up a meeting, but their intervention may not be necessary.

Testa said Sharon Daboin, deputy secretary for aviation and rail service at PennDOT, told him last week she will arrange a meeting after the opening in late August of a new terminal at HIA.

Airport and Amtrak officials couldn't even agree yesterday on what negotiations at their last meeting accomplished.

"Amtrak is perplexed why Mr. Testa has not responded to the draft agreement circulated by Norfolk Southern [freight railroad] nearly four months ago. Amtrak has responded. Mr. Testa should, too. After the March meeting, no one heard from him. If he wants to meet, he should schedule a meeting," Amtrak spokesman Bill Schulz said.

Testa said the airport, Norfolk Southern Corp. and PennDOT have all agreed to a track-relocation agreement. "The only one who has not stepped up to the plate is Amtrak," he said.

Nevertheless, Testa appeared more optimistic about the chances for a train station than he did a month ago. He said he questioned David L. Gunn, Amtrak's president and CEO, about the project and gave him a packet of information when Gunn addressed the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce last week.

"I think he was badly informed by his staff," Testa said. "We're on the right track, pun fully intended."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2004, 12:32 AM
Me?!?

Group to propose new uses for old terminal at HIA

Thursday, July 29, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Although the new terminal at Harrisburg International Airport won't open until late next month, airport officials are already planning how to use the old terminal.

The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns and operates HIA, authorized Aviation Director Fred Testa yesterday to negotiate an agreement on redevelopment of the terminal with The Buccini/Pollin Group of New Castle, Del.

The group will be working with The Sheward Partnership and Gilbane Building Co., both of Philadelphia. It has proposed a $14 million makeover of the 18-year-old terminal, including a new building core and three-story lobby.

Buccini/Pollin proposes converting some of the 200,000-square-foot terminal into Class A office space to be leased at $21 a square foot, netting the airport $122,000 a year in ground and building rent. The building also will house customs operations and two boarding gates for international travelers.

Authority member David Carver urged board oversight of the project. He said the proposed leasing rate of $21 per square foot for the office space "could be steep."

The only other proposal for redevelopment of the terminal came from Phoenix Development Group of Harrisburg. Phoenix envisioned investing $7.7 million and renting Class B office space at $14.50 per square foot. It offered HIA $50,636 a year to rent the building.

The board also authorized the sale of up to $30 million in bonds to finance completion of the $240 million expansion project. Moody's Investors Service has rated the bonds "Baa1."

"As soon as we decided to move forward with the four-gate extension last summer, we knew we would need to sell a few more bonds to complete the project," Testa said.

In April 2003, the board approved the sale of $178 million in general airport revenue bonds to help finance construction of the new terminal and parking garage.

Airport officials reported yesterday that passenger traffic was up about 8.9 percent last month when compared to June 2003.

"June was the busiest month at HIA since October of 1998 and the third-busiest June on record," Testa said. "For the second time this year, every single airline serving the airport posted an increase in traffic over last year."

In the first six months of this year, 689,210 travelers used HIA, up 6.9 percent from the first six months of 2003, officials said.

In other action, the board voted to sell Nitro, the airport's recently retired bomb-sniffing dog, to his handler, HIA police officer Jeff Webb, for $1.

HIA has replaced the 11-year-old yellow Labrador with Rocket, a 2-year-old Belgian Malinois bomb-sniffer.

Board member Judith Schimmel cast the lone vote against Nitro's sale, explaining after the meeting that she thought he should be sold at "fair market value."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations