HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
Baltimore

I would rather see the empty space on Tchoupitoulas next to the convention center be developed into commercial/shopping space instead of the park rendering above. With the new renovation of the Market Street new shopping in the area would be a nice draw and to keep tax dollars in Orleans Parish.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:40 PM

Agree with LR. Retail would be better than this space age park like structure. Also, what/who will pay to live in them? I am sure they would be expensive and while they might have a view you are geographically seperated from the Warehouse district, but close to all your friends at St Thomas/River gardens!

I'd rather see those that want to live in high rises go fill in or build in the CBD.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 5:30 PM

Blue Plate Mayo

http://www.woodwarddesignbuild.com/p...s/in-progress/

99,000 Sq Feet
Completion February 2012

Blue Plate Lofts
Built in 1941, the streamlined, modern facade of the Blue Plate Building has stood as a Mid-City landmark in New Orleans. The historic building is listed in the National Registrar of Historic Places. Located at the corner of Earhardt Blvd. and Jefferson Davis Parkway, the 4 story building was shuttered after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Now, this local icon is ready to return as multi-family housing. The former mayonnaise factory will be converted into a 72 unit artist's apartments. HRI Properties and Woodward Design+Build have previously collaborated on the successful artist apartments at Bywater Arts Lofts. Features of this project will include a complete refurbishment of the iconic Blue Plate sign as well as saving portions of the interior glazed terracotta tiles for reuse. 2 buildings in the rear will be demolished and brick from these structures will be reused to build a fence around the property. Other features will include the additions of a new roof deck and light well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 5:40 PM

Blue Plate etc

The whole area around Blue Plate has changed pretty drastically in the last few years. To list a few things:

- ongoing construction at Xavier
- Woodward's own new headquarters (coming along very well)
- Bridge House dorms
- Restaurant Depot building (grand opening was yesterday 2/23/2011)
- Demolition of BW Cooper
- Rhodes Funeral Home at Washington & Broad (massive renovation)
- Numerous renovations of smaller commercial buildings (including the strange one in the middle of the Earhart/Jeff Davis intersection that was about to collapse

Would love to see some more light industrial in there to build up jobs / new industry

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
The whole area around Blue Plate has changed pretty drastically in the last few years.
Would love to see some more light industrial in there to build up jobs / new industry
How about the Bohn Ford building on Broad? I believe its owned by Rhodes Funeral Home now, and they want to turn it into a community center and shopping center. I hope this project gets traction. It should be the anchor of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:05 PM

Bohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
How about the Bohn Ford building on Broad? I believe its owned by Rhodes Funeral Home now, and they want to turn it into a community center and shopping center. I hope this project gets traction. It should be the anchor of the neighborhood.
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._family_b.html

"The Rhodeses also have plans for the brick structure around the corner at 2730 S. Broad St., which housed Bohn Motor Co. until a 2002 fire and has mostly been open to the elements since. It will become the Rhodes Business Center, with three floors of retail and meeting space.

"We have 60,000 square feet with a lot of possibilities, " said D. Joan Rhodes, president of Rhodes Life Insurance Co."

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Agree with LR. Retail would be better than this space age park like structure. Also, what/who will pay to live in them? I am sure they would be expensive and while they might have a view you are geographically seperated from the Warehouse district, but close to all your friends at St Thomas/River gardens!

I'd rather see those that want to live in high rises go fill in or build in the CBD.
That's awfully cynical. There's only one block of parkland, surrounded by 7 blocks of mixed-use (including retail). The park is elevated so that it can flow over the floodwall... I imagine they'd be able to put a ton of parking underneath.

I think it's an amazing idea... easily my favorite part of the plan.

Also... the River Gardens area is quite safe, stable, and very attractive. I have no idea how the other redeveloped projects will do, but River Gardens is excellent. It gets a little sketchy when you cross Jackson, but that's pretty far away from the Convention Center. Also, Wal-Mart draws some sketchy people, but that's to be expected at a Wal-Mart no matter where it is.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:26 PM

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...homas_nei.html

While the development might look attractive it has it's issues. I say this as a resident of Irish Channel. (next neighborhood over for those in exile). Just trying to be based in reality.

I'd love to see expanded park space (especially a dog park). In that area, but I'd trade it for a target or similar chain retail with easy parking.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
TL;DR

I dunno why you see it as an either/or. That area's huge... plenty of room for Bass Pro Shops, a CityTarget, a Best Buy, a Fresh Market, and park space, along with high to medium density residential.

You're correct that River Garden has had some instances of violent crime... but it is, on the whole, very very good considering its average income level and the fact that it's in New Orleans. Put it this way... I'd much rather be walking around River Garden at midnight than Central City, Hollygrove, Broadmoor, or even the Bywater.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 11:19 PM

River Gardens is 1,000 times safer than the old St. Thomas projects that it replaced. In fact, it's actually one of the safest and least crime ridden neighborhoods in the city. There are a few incidents here or there, but overall the level of crime is siginficantly reduced from what it was 10 years ago. I know this from experience. A friend of mine used to live on Felicity St. just off Magazine before he moved to Seattle last year for a promotion. It was a scary neighborhood in 2000. I think this area is primed for further investment.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 11:23 PM

That's such a good point. I mean, yes, River Garden isn't the safest area in the city but if you look at what it was before it has improved tremendously. Not every neighborhood can be a gentrified haven for young people (as much as I would love to see that).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dunno why you see it as an either/or. That area's huge... plenty of room for Bass Pro Shops, a CityTarget, a Best Buy, a Fresh Market, and park space, along with high to medium density residential.

You're correct that River Garden has had some instances of violent crime... but it is, on the whole, very very good considering its average income level and the fact that it's in New Orleans. Put it this way... I'd much rather be walking around River Garden at midnight than Central City, Hollygrove, Broadmoor, or even the Bywater.
Couldnt have said it better. Ultimately, that is the true measure of success of redeveloping these neighborhoods. Would you walk around them at night?

A couple new projects posted:

Joint Air Traffic Control Facility (NAS/JRB New Orleans)
201000680105 v. 7
Dodge Project Report, Specs and Addenda
Military Facility,
Guidance Detection Tracking System,
Hazardous Waste Disposal GC Bidding $10,000,000 LA (Orleans) Mar 22,

[New project.] 1329689 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential 02/24/2011
Description Tenant improvements for an existing commercial development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of existing commercial space in order to create 30 residences. Subcontractor bidding will begin in March of 2011....Click here for complete Project Details

[New project.] 1067510 New Orleans, LA Educational 02/24/2011
Description Renovation of and addition to an educational facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the renovation of an existing school building, including the construction of a two-story, 45,000-square-foot addition to the top of the building. ...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:45 AM
TL;DR

I do walk around River Garden at night, actually, since Wal-Mart's open til ten and I usually bike there after I get off work. There's a lot of people driving through the neighborhood going from Wal-Mart and Tchoupitoulas up to Magazine, and lots of people in the neighborhood like to gather out in their front yards or on porches even at night. The streets there are very well-watched by the neighborhood residents and the people driving through. There aren't any good places for thugs to hang out - they don't feel comfortable there. Jane Jacobs would be proud.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
That's such a good point. I mean, yes, River Garden isn't the safest area in the city but if you look at what it was before it has improved tremendously. Not every neighborhood can be a gentrified haven for young people (as much as I would love to see that).
Yuck. Then we'd be Portland.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:49 PM

Saw today that there two sale pending signs on the old filling station on Lee ciricle, anybody heard anything? I bet whoever is selling that is wanting a dear price.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 3:20 PM

Central City "Planter's Grove"

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2..._an_urban.html

"Central City getting an urban oasis designed by prominent architect

A grove of trees and flowers will soon be built in hopes of transforming a down-on-its-heels block of Central City.

Ken Smith, the prominent New York City landscape architect behind the project, has built a roof garden atop the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan, greened up Malcolm X Plaza in Harlem, designed a massive metropolitan park in Orange County, Calif., and made gardens flourish inside trash bins at Ohio State University............ "

Interesting rendering. How on earth do you post pictures to this thing? I see the "insert picture" button, but then it asks for the URL of the image...where on earth do you get that?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2..._an_urban.html

"Central City getting an urban oasis designed by prominent architect

A grove of trees and flowers will soon be built in hopes of transforming a down-on-its-heels block of Central City.

Ken Smith, the prominent New York City landscape architect behind the project, has built a roof garden atop the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan, greened up Malcolm X Plaza in Harlem, designed a massive metropolitan park in Orange County, Calif., and made gardens flourish inside trash bins at Ohio State University............ "

Interesting rendering. How on earth do you post pictures to this thing? I see the "insert picture" button, but then it asks for the URL of the image...where on earth do you get that?

U have to upload the pictures from a hosting service like Flickr unless you can find the pictures already on the web. in that case you just insert the web address of that photo... you can often right click a photo on a website and go to properties where you can get the web address for a photo..

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Saw today that there two sale pending signs on the old filling station on Lee ciricle, anybody heard anything? I bet whoever is selling that is wanting a dear price.
Thats great news, Lee Circle is so frustrating because it should be so much better. That Exxon ultimately has to go if the area is to ever fully realize its potential. I think the city needs to ban gas stations and car service joints within the CBD Warehouse District area and force them to be built underneath the Pontchatrain Expressway. This would kill two birds with one stone I think.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:09 PM

Images

It's a dream of mine to make the rest of lee circle something respectable and I really wish I could buy the building right up Howard a block or two that looks like a miniature version of the flatiron building. How awesome would it be to have your bedroom / office right on the corner with 3 windows!

Also, thanks for the image instructions...I understand that.

I was looking at the rendering more closely and started laughing...they subtly placed a "mr peanut" right in the middle sitting on a bench!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:48 PM
-

HAHAH the Mr Peanut is funny... Yes the flatiron building on St Joseph and Howard is awesome, would love to get my hands on it...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations