HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

399 Fremont Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 3:53 AM

Demo Permit posted on both buildings on 5/24

When I was walking by 355 and 375 Fremont on Saturday May 25th both buildings had the their own demo notice. The notice for 375 might have been torn down. It was just an 8.5x11 notice as I remember, maybe I'm wrong and it was bigger. Either way it was definitely there on the Harrison Street side.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:54 AM
BANNED

^^^The notice for 375 was there today. 355 and 375 are the two entrances to the same building in the photo I posted above--and there was a notice that included both. There was also a separate notice for the red auto repair building next door--but none for the corner "Apostleship" building.

Even though 375 will apparently be the address of the new highrise that will include the corner lot, it is not the address of the existing corner building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 7:30 PM

Some larger renderings I found on http://www.keatingkhang.com/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 8:25 PM

Talking

hey...thanks for the renderings! looks great! can't wait for the groundbreaking!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 10:59 PM

Thanks for these beautiful reminders of what Rincon Hill once looked like...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 11:12 PM
Proud upstanding member

I propose that we immediately start a save the trash strewn parking lot league. If we band together we can halt all construction on all vacant parcels on rincon hill. We will not stop until all vacant, underused parcels are memorialized for all future generations to not live on.
SAVE the TRASH STREWN EMPTY LOTS!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 12:52 AM

The Watermark shows development on a moderate scale on Rincon Hill is economically viable.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Jun 12, 2007 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:25 AM
Proud upstanding member

So its the height of the building that you disagree with?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:44 AM

In the case of One Rincon Hill, which I happen not to care for, it is the lack of architectural distinction. The height and prominent location just compound the problem.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 6:42 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
In the case of One Rincon Hill, which I happen not to care for, it is the lack of architectural distinction. The height and prominent location just compound the problem.
But you like the Watermark? Enough to promote it as a good model of new development? Oh, man...the Watermark already looks like something slapped together on the cheap in the mid-20th century that has weathered too many winters. One Rincon may not be "distinguished" in everyone's eyes, but it is pleasantly modern in an old town, sculptural in a skyline of flat planes, glassy in a town with too many concrete boxes, and suitably tall for a parcel in downtown San Francisco. For once.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:07 PM
BANNED

^^^Holy moley, Fflint! Couldn't agree with you more!

Even for its purpose, the Watermark design was dubious. If they had built it taller, maybe they would have had sufficient funds to proceed with the cruise terminal which it was supposed to go a long way toward paying for and which the city's economy needs.

Last edited by BTinSF; Jun 12, 2007 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:31 PM
Proud upstanding member

How fitting - the watermark sits overlooking an empty weed surrounded parking lot!
I'd give the watermark a 6 out of 10. It's squat and boxy despite its height and fairly unremarkable in its architecture - in other words perfect for san francisco.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:16 AM

See my post on One Rincon Hill in its own thread in the Construction Forum. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 8:20 AM

I really like the building they are tearing down to put the high-rise there, that warehouse could be converted into some really nice live-work lofts. Oh well, I dont think I'll find too many sympathizers here

I just wish they could save that building too, its got nice detail.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankendall View Post
I am pretty sure the vacant lot to the left of 375 Fremont is going to be a low rise condominium project. I thought thats what I read on a Planning Notice board that was posted at one point on the property last year. I think it said 8 stories but can't be sure. To the left of the lot is the seemingly on-hold 325 Fremont tower.
this is a rendering of the 333 fremont project that will be built directly next to the 375-399 fremont project. it is a fully entitled project consisting of 80-83 units (8 floors).

i really do hope projects like this are completed with the high profile residential towers because these smaller scale buildings will truly complete the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive View Post
this is a rendering of the 333 fremont project that will be built directly next to the 375-399 fremont project. it is a fully entitled project consisting of 80-83 units (8 floors).

i really do hope projects like this are completed with the high profile residential towers because these smaller scale buildings will truly complete the neighborhood.
I like the look of this building. The only problem is that these units facing Fremont will likely have a view of the ugly PG&E cement substation.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:06 PM
BANNED

^^^They'll certainly be able to see the substation but they won't be right across from it. There's room for another Metropolitan-height highrise at the corner of Folsom. And these units should cost a lot less than the view units in the nearby high-rises--more housing for "the rest of us".

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:27 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely consider that building. What do you mean about another building on the corner of Folsom? Isn't that where the old buildings have been converted to trendy lofts? I thought those were staying.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:29 PM

Great building. Too bad the developer is trying to get out of the project and sell the land and entitlements (see the 45 Lansing St. thread for more info). Perhaps this type of project is challenging to develop on the new Rincon Hill. Although, the main problem with Rincon Hill is all the traffic. And we are not talking about Park Avenue traffic. We are talking about the approach to the Bay Bridge and the Southbound freeway from downtown. If I lived there, I would want to live way above it. But it would still leave unresolved the question of how to cross the street, and getting somewhere else for a stroll.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Jun 13, 2007 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 7:54 PM

I walked by 399 today and saw 2 guys opening up the boards with an electric drill and looking around. Perhaps they're doing the final measurements before demolition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive