HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 10:13 PM

City of Hillsboro offers tax incentives to developers to include ground floor retail around Orenco. Even if the developers aren't confident the market demand can fill it, they will build it as retail space and convert it to live/work with the intention of just leasing it as a ground floor apartment once the rest of the apartments fill up.

The good thing is that they can revert to retail if the demand for retail rises.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 7:15 PM

Hillsboro Airport's new runway construction will continue as FAA rejects watchdog gro

Hillsboro Airport's new runway construction will continue as FAA rejects watchdog group's request
By Luke Hammill | lhammill@oregonian.com
OregonLive.com
on July 02, 2014 at 9:13 AM, updated July 02, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
The Port of Portland, which runs the airport, awarded a $3.5 million contract last month to Wildish Standard Paving Co. for the construction of the 60-foot-wide, 3,600-foot-long runway, the Hillsboro Tribune reported. The additional runway is meant to handle expected increases in flight volume and to separate business-class aircraft from smaller, propeller aircraft.
Are we going to see passenger service at the Hillsboro Airport in the future?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 8:13 PM

I could see maybe Allegiant or something, but I don't really see commerical service being a real possibility out there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 9:57 PM

How did hillsburo get so big. I thought there was a urban growth boundary in portland

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:14 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

According to Google, Hillsboro is now larger than Beaverton, 95,000 vs 92,000. Oregon's 5th largest city, after Portland, Salem, Eugene, and Gresham.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabom View Post
How did hillsburo get so big. I thought there was a urban growth boundary in portland
The UGB focuses growth. It does not limit Hillsboro to a certain population or size. It does keep the city from sprawling into the beautiful farmland on the way to the coast. In fact the South Hillsboro and AmberGlen communities are going to massively increase Hillsboro's size and prominence.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The UGB focuses growth. It does not limit Hillsboro to a certain population or size. It does keep the city from sprawling into the beautiful farmland on the way to the coast. In fact the South Hillsboro and AmberGlen communities are going to massively increase Hillsboro's size and prominence.
The planning department is hoping each area will nearly 20k people each, right? Hillsboro could be looking at a population of 112k by 2020 at current growth rates?

Edit: Oops I extrapolated 9 years instead of 6. 109k by 2020?

Last edited by colganc; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 1:11 PM

Reser's is moving their production facility to Hillsboro, north of 26 near Cornelius Pass.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...productio.html

Site plan and location: http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/inde...d=597&page=712

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:53 AM

The Hampton Inn in Hillsboro opened last week, and the Embassy Suites is still in progress.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:26 AM

Your post got stuck in a moderation queue, and is actually from 1993? Right?

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Your post got stuck in a moderation queue, and is actually from 1993? Right?
???

Ohhh, I get it! LOL.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:15 PM

Aug 13, 2014, 5:03am PDT Updated: Aug 13, 2014, 10:46am PDT
Beaverton City Council approves Nike expansion agreement
Matthew Kish
Staff Reporter- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1407956902

Quote:
Beaverton City Council on Tuesday approved an agreement that will aid Nike Inc.'s Washington County expansion.

The Council unanimously approved Nike's request after the company asked the city for permission to submit all permits and plans for the proposed expansion to Washington County. The deal means Nike won't have to simultaneously submit plans and permits to Beaverton and Washington County.

"We are pleased with the initial action taken by the City of Beaverton last night," Nike said in a statement. "It will allow us to more effectively and efficiently move forward with our expansion plans."

Roughly 15 percent of the land on which it plans to expand is in Beaverton. The rest is in unincorporated Washington County.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Nyberg Rivers development opens with 9-foot prehistoric sculpture

Alli Pyrah

The Nyberg Rivers development in Tualatin is set to open with a nod toward "Ice Age tourism."

The development, which will be home to Cabela’s and New Seasons Market, is unveiling a giant prehistoric-style sculpture on Sept. 15 as part of its campaign. The 9-foot bronze mastodon statue will pay tribute to the mastodon skeleton that was unearthed less than a mile away.

Also included in the sculpture is a bronze boy who "symbolizes the wonder and awe of discovery, history, and imagination," according to the company.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:33 AM

Quote:
First and Angel development gets $350,000 funding boost from Metro

A sketch of the proposed mixed-use building at First Street and Angel Avenue. (Rembold Properties)

By Laura Frazier

Funding for a mixed-use building in Old Town Beaverton has received a boost from Metro.

Rembold Properties is moving forward with development plans for a 3.5 story building with retail space and 87 apartment units, located at Southwest First Avenue and Southwest Angel Avenue.

Metro's Transit-Oriented Development Steering Committee has approved a $350,000 grant for that project, according to city.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:57 AM
A before E

It's about time we started seeing buildings like this in Old Town Beaverton. That whole area should be full of buildings like this.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It's about time we started seeing buildings like this in Old Town Beaverton. That whole area should be full of buildings like this.
I'd think an area named Old Town should have some older buildings as well.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:37 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
I'd think an area named Old Town should have some older buildings as well.
Haha, true, the old buildings worth counting as an Old Town are the handful of buildings along Broadway.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:14 AM

While it's nice to urban scale buildings being built in downtown Hillsboro, I'm stifling laughter after reading the headline.

Quote:
Hillsboro's 4th Main development selected as Oregon's best new building

By Luke Hammill | lhammill@oregonian.com

The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department has selected Hillsboro's 4th Main development as the state's "Best New Building," the agency announced Wednesday.

The $16.5 million building, which hosted a grand opening ceremony in May, is a four-story, transit-oriented, mixed-use project with 71 apartments, underground parking and ground-floor retail space that will include a new taproom stocked with craft beer.

Over $2.2 million in public subsidies from Hillsboro and Metro – including a decade's worth of system development fees and taxes from the city for developer Tokola – made the project possible. Part of that money is the $650,000 the city and Metro spent to purchase the property in 1998, using transit-oriented grant funding from the Federal Transit Administration.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
A new skyline has popped up in Hillsboro's Orenco neighborhood (photos)

If you haven't driven by Hillsboro's Orenco Station in the past few months, you might not have noticed the new skyline that's popped up in the city.

I went to see the buildings for myself on Tuesday afternoon. They are still under construction, but once completed, the projects will bring thousands of new residents to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
the bland leading the bland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon