HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 12:37 PM

Looks pretty good, except the building second from the left is pretty awful. I can't stand buildings with large voids in them like that, but the amount of park space is impressive.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

I love looking at these renderings, but I want more from the waterfront...

http://nymag.com/arts/architecture/f...msburg-2013-3/

Oooh, Williamsburg
A so-what plan is trumped by daring.

By Justin Davidson
Mar 3, 2013

Quote:

Building in New York is gladiatorial. Developers and community march into combat, often with gruesome results. The saga of the Domino Sugar refinery in Williamsburg gave everyone something to hate in the proposed stockade of slabs. Fortunately, the developer ran out of steam and unloaded the ­eleven-acre site—along with the miserable, city-approved plan—on Two Trees Management, the creator of Dumbo.

In a gesture of masochistic genius, Two Trees’s Jed Walentas hired SHoP Architects to start from scratch. In their new plan, pairs of towers linked by bridges coalesce into a kind of skyline writing—maybe it spells OOOH, an appreciative response to the Domino Sugar sign. At the site’s north end, a residential building leans on an office tower. The refinery itself, kitted out with more offices, stands beside a full-block open square. Next door, a ­U-shaped low-rise steps invitingly down to the neighborhood. Hard by the Williamsburg Bridge, a pair of slender columns are laced together with glass. The openings make the waterfront porous and the silhouettes varied, a huge improvement on the architectural numbness that has invaded Williamsburg in recent years.

For Walentas, electing to go through the approval process again is like having a root canal just for the hell of it. It’s hard to argue that his motivator is greed, since the new proposal whittles away some market-rate apartments, keeps all the affordable units, adds less-profitable offices, shuts out megaretailers in favor of small stores, and increases the open public space by almost 60 percent. Maybe Walentas really wants what he says he wants: a round-the-clock New Dumbo.

There’s a trade-off: The tallest of SHoP’s towers would rise to a lofty 598 feet. Badly designed tall buildings are oppressive, but good ones make streets livelier. The new plan pulls back from the water, widening the park and making it a genuine public amenity instead of the high-rises’ sliverlike backyard.

In the end, others will design some of the buildings, but for now, getting the rules right is crucial. Walentas has the old plan in his pocket, and he says he will build it, grudgingly, if the new one fails. That would be disastrous. The city rarely gets this good a chance to extricate itself from a planning mistake. Yes, the new Domino would mean more creeping Manhattanization, but that sure is better than the alternative: the New Jersification of Brooklyn.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:25 PM

This looks badass, and is a big improvement from the previous design.

Will look great from Manhattan. The whole Williamsburg skyline is going to really look impressive.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:29 PM

You know the NIMBYs are going out of their minds today. I can't stop looking at the renders and reading everything I can find about the project.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
You know the NIMBYs are going out of their minds today. I can't stop looking at the renders and reading everything I can find about the project.
The project is already approved, though the developers will have to go back to the city for some modifications.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Finally got some heights on the others...

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6526

Doughnut at Domino Sugar Site
SHoP and Field Operations to reboot Brooklyn waterfront for Two Trees.

Alan G. Brake
3/03/13

Quote:
According to Jed Walentas, principal at Two Trees, the previously approved plan, designed by Rafael Vinoly Architects, would have added to the monotony of the Brooklyn Waterfront. While the old plan was primarily condominiums and big box retail, the new plan includes office space and neighborhood-scaled retail. “We want to create a real neighborhood,” he said.

The plan adds an additional 500,000 square feet of office space, increases open space from 3.26 acres to 5.26 acres, reduces the number of parking spaces, while adding significantly to the building heights. “The goal is to build tall, thinner, lighter architecture,” said Vishaan Chakrabarti, partner at SHoP Architects. “This is the place to create a unique skyline for Brooklyn.” The tallest building, a pair of towers adjacent to the Williamsburg Bridge would rise 598 feet, the “doughnut building” would reach 518 feet, and the third major tower, a combination of office and retail, would top off at 400 feet. In the previously approved plan, the tallest building would have reached 340 feet.

The proposal calls for turning one of the building sites into “Domino Square,” a new public space adjacent to the historic sugar refinery building, which could be used for a farmers market or other community programming. The refinery building would be converted into office space.

The plan also calls for continuing the street grid into the development and down along the waterfront to increase access and connectivity to the surrounding area. Field Operations is designing the park to include a kayak launch, volleyball court, bocce, and other recreational activities, as well as a ferry landing.

In the new plan, the buildings are pushed back slightly from the water and all the mechanical systems would be placed above the flood zone. “We want this project to show that you don’t have to run away from the water,” Chakrabarti said.
This could be iconic for Brooklyn, a major waterfront icon. As iconic for Brooklyn as the UN and Trump World combo.

Wonder what it would look like with this thrown into the mix...

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/26767

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 4:03 PM

I'm loving this project.

I look forward to seeing more revealing views of the connected towers.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:02 PM

Wow. The old plan was such a snoozefest, I am glad to see them get more creative with it.

So many proposals for Brooklyn that are taller that anything currently built, I think these would make it 6 or 7 towers , something like that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:31 PM

^ This is not a sure thing yet.

Looks like we have to go through a whole new round of ULURP and the inevitable NIMBY cryfest that the towers are too big.

No doubt some height will get shaved off when all is said and done.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:57 PM

It looks like Shop hasn't met a facade treatment they didn't like, so they decided to put them all on one building. Call me cynical, but I'm anticipating the old bait and switch from the developers. They hire a media darling architecture firm to create some renderings, the media goes abuzz to quell criticism and nimbyism, and then the proposals are value engineered to death once the public's attention span has lapsed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Call me cynical, but I'm anticipating the old bait and switch from the developers. They hire a media darling architecture firm to create some renderings, the media goes abuzz to quell criticism and nimbyism, and then the proposals are value engineered to death once the public's attention span has lapsed.
Definitely possible, but this is Two Trees Development (the Walentas family). They don't do anything half-assed, and they don't do bait-and-switch.

They're the family that owns and developed most of Dumbo, and they built the Enrique Norton designed Mercedes House in Manhattan. They also did the luxury Wythe Hotel in Brooklyn, which is one of the nicest new hotels in NYC.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:40 PM
Editor

Looks great..... love the whole waterfront treatment. I hope this gets built.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:50 PM

Needs to be refined a bit but all in all this is amazing news, I couldnt be happier with what were getting. It will add so much to the reinvention of the waterways. The tallest tower looks great, hope it breaks the 600 ft. mark.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 8:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...t_revealed.php

Quote:
Taller, More Porous Buildings

Somewhat surprisingly, Two Trees said the community and public officials they shared these plans with were totally happy with taller structures if it meant more open space. "If you're standing next to a 400-foot tall building or a 600-foot tall building, you have no idea," said Chakrabarti. "But if a 600-foot building means that you get a park where your kid can graduate, that means something to you."

Locking in the Designs

With big, innovative projects like these, there is always fear that the features that make the architecture interesting could be value-engineered out, but Two Trees doesn't want that to happen. Lombino said the developer is willing to lock in the building envelopes and things like the sky bridges so they can't be worked out of the designs later down the line.

SHoP will design two of the five buildings and curate the architects for the others. "They should be different architecturally," said Chakrabarti. It hasn't been decided which structures SHoP will take, but the donut, which will have a school at the base, is "near and dear" to Chakrabarti's heart. SHoP has currently designed it like "a pineapple": textured on the outside, smooth on the inside. The facade is made of multiple different materials, some similar to the weather steel of the Barclay's Center, and inside the donut hole has a glassy surface that plays with the sunlight.
Not only are they looking to lock in design treatment, but city planning will no doubt lock in some aspect of the designs, haven been disappointed with the Riverside South development. I think the concern here is less the NIMBYs, and more of how city planning looks in on this development. Given that it was already pretty much approved for it's size, the addition of more open space and greater public access can only be a plus. I don't think city planning will be too concerned with the heights.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:16 AM

Site Plans

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:03 AM

Get rid of the brown in those renderings and they are perfect.

There is too much brown in the NY area, and from a skyline perspective it can make it look old and run down at some angles.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Compared to what they have going up on the Queens riverfront...

nycmayorsoffice

Brooklyn

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:01 PM
Everywhere all at once

After seeing the better renderings of Hunters Point South, the new New Domino, and also considering the modular Atlantic Yards towers...it seems SHoP architects will be a rather influential firm on the design of towers in 21st-Century New York. I love that, consider that I feel the glass-curtain-wall facades have gotten a little redundant and I love how SHoP gets creative with the facades of its buildings.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 6:34 PM

^ The facades are interesting but why do they all have to be so blockish though?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ The facades are interesting but why do they all have to be so blockish though?
I was wondering the same thing. Does NY's building industry even know what a curve looks like anymore? Box city so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction