HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice -- that view from above down into the pit is exactly the view i was wondering about lately.

its good to see a little action in there, although not much has changed as of yet.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:26 AM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:39 AM
New Yorker for life

They can't figure out what to do with this one. And the new design is horrible, at least according to these renderings.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/3-hudso...major-upgrade/

3 Hudson Boulevard is getting a major upgrade

By Lois Weiss
October 31, 2017

Quote:
Developer Joe Moinian is rebooting 3 Hudson Blvd. and has brought in JLL to oversee the development of the new office tower.

Since Peter Riguardi’s team at JLL was hired in August, the architects at FXFOWLE have redesigned the building to better align with today’s office tenants — incorporating larger floor plates, for example.

The redesign boosts the tower to 2 million square-feet on 53 floors while lowering its height to 940 feet. Completion is now scheduled for 2021.

To kick off the reboot, a groundbreaking ceremony is to be held Friday with elected officials.

“We have also brought JLL to help us on every aspect of this project — be it leasing, financing, capital partners and input from their advisory board,” said Moinian.

Riguardi, chairman and president of JLL’s Tri-State Region, explained it was hired because of JLL’s “vast experience” representing tenants of scale who have moved to ground up development and its “market-leading” debt business.

“We are putting together the puzzle: how do we find a tenant and how do we find a partner and move forward under the best circumstances for the Moinian Group,” he said.

Declining to elaborate on a “partner,” other sources explained this could take the form of a tenant that wants to buy its own floors or an investor or fund that wants to become a minority stakeholder.

Moinian, for instance is partners with SL Green Realty Corp. on other projects including 3 Columbus Circle.

Sitting on the northeast corner of West 34th Street and 11th Avenue across from the Javits Center, the site is also bounded by West 35th Street and the west side of Hudson Boulelvard Park, right by the turtle shell-covered entrance to the No. 7 train.

“We are sitting on a full block with unobstructed views — 360-degree views, to the south, northeast and especially west, because we have Javits [the low-rise convention center] across the street,” Moinian said. “From the fourth floor you can see the water and New Jersey.”

Purchased in 2005 from Verizon for $54.788 million, the MTA has been using the site for a decade to stage the No. 7 subway construction. It was recently turned over to the developer, who has begun work on its foundation, which goes right into the bedrock.

As a forest of Related Cos. and Brookfield towers are already open or rising nearby, Moinian’s well-located site is just one of a few remaining spots in the Hudson Yards area for a world-class single-or multi-tenant HQ.

But like the last bridesmaid to get engaged, despite years of efforts by Avison Young to ensure the building’s former iteration was widely courted, poked and prodded, there’s still no ring on the finger — or anchor tenant inked on a dotted line.

The office tower was designed by Dan Kaplan of FXFOWLE to face the sun as it twists off the city’s 22 degree-angled street grid.

“We made the building way more efficient,” Moinian said of the new LEED Gold targeted structure.

The center core base floors will now spread from 50,400 square feet with 18-foot floor-to-ceiling heights to the tower floors of over 40,000 square feet.

There’s also a setback on the eighth floor for a terrace.

The top two floors are set aside for a conference center, or perhaps executive or cafeteria dining, depending on the tenant.

Automated parking is expected to be available.

With 12,600 square feet of retail, Moinian is now courting a white table restaurant as well as a café with outdoor seating along Hudson Boulevard Park.

A bench in that fountain-filled oasis has been named for Oskar Brecher, the Moinian Group’s executive who spearheaded the development of the building and passed away suddenly last year.

The president of the Hudson Yards / Hell’s Kitchen Alliance, Robert Benfatto, thinks that 3 Hudson’s time has come. “Tenants have been popping up, but it just takes a long time to lease,” Benfatto observed.

Three years ago, Moinian noted, “It was who is willing to come? And now it’s who’s not coming? Now I think it’s happening. All the chips are in place.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:55 AM

Wow, what a Turd Burglar of a building this new design is.

Moinian is a major scumbag - a slightly more upscale Sam Chang. No surprise he'd pull this sort of bait-and-switch.

But WTF is the Post calling this a "major upgrade" for?!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:06 AM

here are some better renderings from the official website which I hope are up to date. The ones above are cringe inducing. Fxfowle's website is saying 1000ft. I hope we don't lose another supertall in a redesign.

http://3hudsonboulevard.com/gallery/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:59 AM

I want to see an official update, something quantifiably recent and final. The redesign as captured by the earlier pics look awful... not that it would be a horrible building but so generally a glass box...okay, decent.. mediocre. That's not what should be the aim, all the talk of the needs of business notwithstanding. The other pics were more reassuring, but we don't need value engineering... we need bold, ambitious risk takers that want to make a statement of standing out, and the original design was really cool and stood out.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 11:44 AM

Well that sucks.

On the positive side, building will be significantly larger, meaning greater economic impact, but I would prefer the taller design.

Hopefully the spire option is still in play. Don't like the boring box look in the new design.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
here are some better renderings from the official website which I hope are up to date. The ones above are cringe inducing. Fxfowle's website is saying 1000ft. I hope we don't lose another supertall in a redesign.

http://3hudsonboulevard.com/gallery/

That's the last design, the one that had the spire. Look through the previous pages.

The Post render is the design we haven't seen before.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 12:53 PM

Does this mean the hideous spire is gone?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 1:38 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

While the reporting of this seemingly unfortunate turn of events looks like reliable journalism, I have my doubts.

Let me pose the following:

1. Why would Moinian wait until well into foundation work to radically change a design that's been advertised as official one since public renderings first came out? Is there any legitimate precedent to this kind of maneuvering?

2. Isn't this the same person whose ability to have this project fully financed was seriously called into question not that long ago, even while site prep was taking place??

3. Has this apparent discrepancy between the "latest" design been reconciled between the official developer's website and the New York Post? If not, why?

4. Why is said New York Post being looked at as a credible source of information let alone the time of day anyhow? Does anyone who lives in the NYC Metro area seriously think that a dog-eared, third-rate publication known (and outed) for biased reporting and click-baiting sensationalism has the desire to actually fact-check on what they "report"?

I mean...You can pull one of these dime-a-dozen writers out of a Cracker Jack box and have them dummy up a fake resume at no charge.

Just saying.

I need incontrovertible proof that this really is true. Something's funky about all this...and if the slightest magnitude of that funk comes from Moinian, he should be called on the carpet, if not investigated outright.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:10 PM. Reason: spellcheck...not that it matters really.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's the last design, the one that had the spire. Look through the previous pages.

The Post render is the design we haven't seen before.
I'm thinking the spire design IS the new design. Moinian never commented on it when the spired tower popped up. Most importantly the rendering in the post doesn't have the torque which the post reported was retained in the redesign. I think the 940' height is true, but the turd renderings in the post aren't.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:22 PM

We'll just have to stay tuned then. I would rather have(though not really like) a bit of a height cut and some widening but not at the cost of that turd crap we saw. Hopefully the design still isn't screwed with too much. At least 50 Hudson had the slight bump to over 1,000 ft. Trade one for the other in the supertall designation. But it would be nice to have something rivalling if not surpassing the height of 30 Hudson... maybe Frank Mc Court's eventual residential tower in the area. Is that still in play?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:36 PM
New Yorker for life

The render is from the architects, we know websites aren't always updated with the most current information. Also, we've seen Larry Silverstein do this with 2 WTC, so it's not unheard of. We just better hope some info just got crossed up somewhere, but I'm reading that article as an informercial from the developer.

My main problem with that Post render (and description) is that the tower is gonna be fat and wide, just like the Spiral and 50 Hudson. It's too much, we need more tapering towers there that appeal to the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:56 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

With all due respect--and I'm not trying to be contrarian here--but here are my rebuttals, by point:

Quote:
The render is from the architects, we know websites aren't always updated with the most current information.
How did the Post obtain this? Did they ask for it or did 3hud(dot)com or whoever it is volunteer the information?

Quote:
Also, we've seen Larry Silverstein do this with 2 WTC, so it's not unheard of.
True that; but despite its fluidity, at least here there was a backstory to the whoe saga; and the sources that reported the informationhave proven themselves much higher up on the credibility scale.

Quote:
We just better hope some info just got crossed up somewhere, but I'm reading that article as an informercial from the developer.
I do too. The timing of this in my mind enhances that possibility. Plus it bespeaks lack of integrity from two of the three parties involved: Moinian from throwing this curveball at this stage of the game, and the Post (color me shocked) for allowing themselves to be used as a platform for the gamesmanship of a developer with IMHO a somewhat iffy reputation (A few Google search results bolsters my argument at least in my own eyes).

Quote:
My main problem with that Post render (and description)...
...Hence my post from earlier today.

Again, if this story turns out to be 100% gospel truth: then let this be my eulogy for a potentially great supertall:

"You, Mr. Moinian, had a chance to make a dramatic visual statement simply because the City of New York trusted you with the task of doing so."

Instead, you curb-stomped it by figuratively (my emphasis) prostituting yourself to a vapid, corporate bottomliner-produced "form follows function" algorithm."

"And I knew that something wasn't quite right, given the way you handled this whole rigamarole when you made more than a few people audibly question your ability to keep the project you were charged with solvent."

"But that's water under the 59th Street Bridge. If this latest manifestation of your project indeed turns out to be the one to reach the sky, remember this:
You had a design that at least tried to think beyond the literal box; but you just put yourself back into it."

I shall now await further developments.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The extra sq-footage is nice, but lets just wait and see. Right now, its a near super tall. Lets not forget that 940 ft is nothing to be disappointing about.

It said 1000 ft on the FXFowle site for the project:

" 3 Hudson Boulevard is a 1,000-foot tower with a statuesque form. Sited on Manhattan's West Side in Hudson Yards, the tower's twisting and tapered form transitions from the urban grid to true north-south orientation to capture optimal solar exposure. With a five-story podium and retail at street level, the tower features Class A office space, terraces, integrated sky-gardens, and views of the Hudson River, Hudson River Park, and the High Line. "

Either they didn't update it or.... there is something we don't know.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 12:12 AM

There are just so many other great projects going on right now, I can't even be bothered to get mad/disappointed about this one honestly. It will still be good filler at 940 feet, and at the end of the day, with projects like Steinway, Verre, Vanderbilt, everything else in Hudson Yards etc going on, who cares...

If this was being built in the dearth of new projects of the 1990s and it received this chop, that would have been another matter

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
There are just so many other great projects going on right now, I can't even be bothered to get mad/disappointed about this one honestly. It will still be good filler at 940 feet, and at the end of the day, with projects like Steinway, Verre, Vanderbilt, everything else in Hudson Yards etc going on, who cares...

If this was being built in the dearth of new projects of the 1990s and it received this chop, that would have been another matter
This is my sentiment as well

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 12:13 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'll gladly cede the point that 940' is better than snything under 700'.

But that latest design change...if it stands...is a craven display of architectural banality.

It's so...IDK...clichéd.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:04 PM

My bet is that the valued engineered version is the latest and will be one that will be built.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

But in the end, did we really want this tower with this design to be the signature tower for the Hudson Yards neighborhood? That will be reserved for 30 Hudson, which if one hasn't checked it out in person, its quite monolithic. Plus it fits the complex just right, with its sister tower 10 Hudson.

Phase II I doubt will yield a taller tower, but in this crazy boom, who knows. Still from an aesthetic point of view, 850-970 ft IMO is just right for the residential portion in Phase II.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction