HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Wow!!! is that the new library? Not quite what I was expecting!
Me neither but WOW! This is truly the kind of signature architectural development we've needed in Halifax for a long time! I love the massing of the structure and the street presence - that door just seems to shout "come and turn my knob"

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:05 PM

I saw that yesterday! So exciting!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Maybe they got their plans mixed up and accidentally placed the new library slated for Ecum Secum in downtown instead!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:05 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Maybe they got their plans mixed up and accidentally placed the new library slated for Ecum Secum in downtown instead!
No, its actually a fine example of heritage trailer from the 1800's... such high quality construction. We should not allow any development anywhere near this.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:15 PM
Fizzix geek

Clearly they have switched plans to the "KeithP approved" version of the library!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Once the red car is balanced upside down on a 45 degree angle at one end of the base, you'll recognize it as the new library. They decided to go with red, rather than orange.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Clearly they have switched plans to the "KeithP approved" version of the library!
Unfortunately we will still be on the hook for $60 million after Queen Judith buys her public art projects.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I think I saw six "libraries" at the oval...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 11:28 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Is this what I think it is

Quote:
Due to budget cuts they have decided to go with a modular design. Based on the renderings there will be 3 more layers like this, an orange transparent module and then the top will be turned 90° and cantilevered .

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 12:03 AM

Wink

Quote:
Dammit. I said I wanted the cantilevered top floor taken out, and instead they took out everything BUT the cantilevered floor! So much for feeling listened-to when they moved the "living room" to the harbour side of the top floor. Now we won't be able to see SQUAT.

Last edited by pblaauw; Apr 6, 2011 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:35 AM
Salty Town

Gloria McClusky finally got her no frills library that will serve all of HRM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:28 AM

Its funny because we actually have a mobile library

i think its based out of Dartmouth,

maybe they relocated it to serve downtown, lol

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:46 AM
we built this city

Lol, longest string of scarcasm in SSP Halifax history.

Once this thing gets built, I can't see any reason why a stadium wouldn't be priority number one!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 6:06 PM

Careful with that worldly.
A stadium is useless when compared to the 10 million dollar Halifax forum renovation, and the 22 million dollar Dartmouth sportsplex reno.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 8:17 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
A stadium is useless when compared to the 10 million dollar Halifax forum renovation, and the 22 million dollar Dartmouth sportsplex reno.
Yeah, I'm eating my words now.

Next thing you know they'll be spending $100 million on a community centre in some other part of Halifax right next to a community that already has one... and none of the obstructionists will even comment on the expenditure because their real motivation is stopping tall buildings from being built, not public debt as they try to fool us (edit: the public) into thinking.

The Forum reno was legit, and I'm not against the sportsplex... But come on, these two projects combined could have represented about half of a stadium or 1/5 of the convention centre.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:47 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
They should have built the Sportsplex right in the first place given its location. As for the forum.....it is what it is.

What we need is a stadium ASAP!

Last edited by Empire; Apr 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

Next thing you know they'll be spending $100 million on a community centre in some other part of Halifax right next to a community that already has one... and none of the obstructionists will even comment on the expenditure because their real motivation is stopping tall buildings from being built, not public debt as they try to fool us (edit: the public) into thinking.

The Forum reno was legit, and I'm not against the sportsplex... But come on, these two projects combined could have represented about half of a stadium or 1/5 of the convention centre.
In an article today in the Herald, the CURRENT convention centre was quoted as an asset to Halifax being picked as one of the host cities for the 2015 Women's World Cup. I guess they don't mind views blocked by pillars.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

There are two related causes for this I think:

1) HRM councillors are responsible for too many decisions. Anything a councillor votes on becomes political; decisions are based off of payoff in terms of local votes, not actual cost vs. benefit for the municipality.

2) HRM councillors preside over tiny districts and are completely at the mercy of residents and certain special interest groups. The focus is very parochial.

One way to improve this somewhat would be to have more authorities that would be allocated budgets and would be responsible for making funding decisions within those bounds. Councillors could do things like set library funding vs transit funding but would not decide on the location of a bus terminal.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 2:49 AM
Honored Member

According to the allnovascotia.com, the trailer at the Central Library signals a start to construction of the library. However, an archeology dig is scheduled to occur first. So the actual excavation of the library site is still a few weeks away.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 11:24 PM

Central Library Update

(Wednesday, April 13, 2011) - Activity at the Halifax Central Library site will begin this month. Construction managers EllisDon have begun mobilizing trailers and electrical services at the site on the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street.

Planned Activity for April

• Site activity will increase throughout the month of April. Site trailers will be installed and electrical will be secured.

• A tender will be awarded for archaeological exploration work and site fencing.
Planned Activity for May

• Fencing will be installed around the perimeter of the site.

• Archaeological exploration will begin. The dig is expected to conclude in June.

The Central Library site has an interesting history. Bellevue House, the home of the British Army's Commander-in-Chief for Halifax once stood near the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street. Archaeologists will monitor the removal of asphalt and earth in layers to watch for signs of historic structures and/or artefacts. If these are discovered during the initial assessment, the archaeology team will begin a more detailed excavation process to study, record and preserve the discovered items. All items become the property of the Province of Nova Scotia which assumes long term curatorial responsibility for all archaeological artefacts. The archaeological investigations at the central library site will be conducted under the terms of a Heritage Research Permit issued to Cultural Resource Management Group Limited by the Heritage Division of the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage.

Further updates on the Central Library’s progress will be provided as project activity progresses. Upcoming milestones include the Central Library Public Art candidate selection, the final site plan approval, the sixth public open house to reveal the final library design and a formal ground breaking ceremony - all expected during the months of June and July.

The Halifax Central Library is funded by the governments of Canada, Nova Scotia and HRM. It is expected to be complete in late 2013, with the opening in 2014.

Additional Information

For information and updates on the Central Library visit, www.halifaxcentrallibrary.ca

For information on HRM tenders and requests for proposals visit, www.halifax.ca/procurement/index.html

For more information on HRM’s public art program, visit www.halifax.ca/culture/publicart

For information on the Heritage Division and the Special Places Protection Act, visit: www.gov.ns.ca/tch/heritage_specialplaces.asp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth