HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:08 AM
National Capital Region

Look on the bright side of all this negativity - it's not just Calgary. Ottawa went through the same suburban whining with respect to its most recent bridge, the Corktown pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Rideau Canal. Now we never hear about what a waste of money it was. Tourists seem to love it since it makes for both a good circuit along both sides of the Canal as well as one of the best places from which to take photos in the capital (especially its east embankment).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11395821@N03/1199515414/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11395821@N03/1198649019/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11395821@N03/1198648283/

Anyway, I'm sure the same thing will happen in Calgary as here.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:53 AM
Round Head

On Bigtime's suggestion, I turned my mini architectural review and sent it as a letter to the editor. Luckily, it got published...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...042/story.html

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:07 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

^^^ Well done!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:17 AM

Cleaning it will be a non issue, as the spine seems to be wide enough for a worker with a pressure washer to simply walk across and clean the glass, tethered through the central open area (for safety of course).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:30 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Nice work Wooster!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:50 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
I remember the Calgary Scum was elated about a pedestrian bridge in front of their building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime
I ride my bike on the bridge on my commute to and from work.
Back in the day, our tender was only $2,000 above the low bidder on that bridge, we were only third low. That's a pretty close bid. I think that bridge came in at just a bit over 1 million.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:14 PM

When was that bridge built even? I can't recall if it existed when I arrived back in '95

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:21 PM

I was wondering that too...I've searched on-line, but can't find anything on it. I do remember the Sun talking about how great it was though. I wonder if that bridge has been used by 5000 people...ever. It links a remote area of Nose Creek with an industrial park.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:34 PM
Construction Enthusiast

pretty much anyone biking from the NE to anywhere on the river pathways or downtown uses that bridge. It's used quite a bit.

It was built in the mid to late 90s sometime.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:08 PM
Round Head

Recieved for Information at Calgary Planning Commission. Some interesting details about materials and so forth in the drawings.

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/.../m2009_028.pdf

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 8:12 PM

I love the bridge, I think it's going to look great. Once the Sun has found a new issue to whine about, hopefully this issue will fade from memory and we can get the darn thing built. Better yet, once the bridge is actually finished and Calgarians are able to appreciate and enjoy it, all the fuss will be forgotten.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 8:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
I love the bridge, I think it's going to look great. Once the Sun has found a new issue to whine about, hopefully this issue will fade from memory and we can get the darn thing built.
Bingo. This is what's otherwise known as a "slow news week". I guess now that Jacko isn't selling papers they had to latch onto *something* controversial. I've noticed this in the past, too, especially after BIG news events like 9/11. Within a few days of the initial front page furor dying down, you see these ridiculous non-stories all over the place as the news media tries to retain their sense of OMG WE'RE STILL IMPORTANT!!

Quote:
Better yet, once the bridge is actually finished and Calgarians are able to appreciate and enjoy it, all the fuss will be forgotten.
Been mentioned before, and worth mentioning again. This will happen, exactly as it happened in Winnipeg. And those folks are a lot more justified in complaining about wasted tax money - at least in Calgary the "worst" we have to deal with is an architectural wonder.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 9:51 PM

I like it alot!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 9:51 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Recieved for Information at Calgary Planning Commission. Some interesting details about materials and so forth in the drawings.

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/.../m2009_028.pdf
Looking at the cross section there, the bridge has a strip of LEDs along the top, pointing down at the whole bridge, Puck lights recessed into the steel joints at the midline of the sides (pointing down at the pedestrian walkway, LED puck lights at the edge between the pedestrian paths and the bike paths, a glass strip (looks through straight through the bridge) along the centre line of the bike path, and flood lights that will light up the underside of the deck (and would also shine through the glass strip).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 5:45 AM

Am I to understand that anybody who does'nt like this bridge is somehow inferior in intelligence to the folks who like this bridge!! I thought folks have the right to their own oppinion, no matter how informed they are, (compared to the self appointed experts)!

Last edited by bob1954; Aug 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:26 AM

It's not a matter of liking or disliking a bridge on the merits of it's design, function, purpose, aesthetics, etc, Bob. It's a matter of the Calgary Scum readership mentality of disliking the bridge for some red herring monetary issue when they are truly ignorant of the background of the issue. Your allowed to dislike the bridge for whatever reason you want, but I'm still allowed to call you a dumb schmuck if and when I think your reasons are moronic. Let's face it, if someone told these people the bridge only cost $5 million, most people wouldn't have complained, but because its nearly $25 million, it's too expensive, not needed, not something they'll use so it's overpriced... like others have said, I'm not going use some interchanges in this city that others see as important, so to me, those projects are too expensive and unnecessary (tongue planted firmly in cheek)</endrant>

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:40 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Am I to understand that anybody who does'nt like this bridge is somehow inferior in intelligence to the folks who like this bridge!! I thought folks have the right to their own oppinion, no matter how informed they are, (compared to the self appointed experts)!
Not at all. But the raving loons who post to the Herald asking why this money isn't being used for UI benefits instead, or claiming they're going to take down the city administration over a tiny fraction of the city's budget... yes, they in fact are rather inferior in intelligence to people who've actually thought about it and understand it in the context of what happens in a big city.

Disagree all you want, but give us some reasons - not some parroted talking points which originally started only to sell newspapers. And yes, everyone has the right to their opinion, just as I have the right to disagree with them and express my opinion about what they're saying. Not sure why you'd think only one side has this right.

PS: you might want to try to tone down the exclamation points!! It really makes you come across as a bit .. extreme!!! If you know what I mean!!! Just imagine yourself actually speaking to others like this!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 8:27 AM

Not to be pro or con here, from what I've read in the Sun and Herald, from the folks who don't like it, it sounds to me about 40-50% of the negative stuff, are people that don't like "that" particular bridge. It sounds like they woul like to see a bridge there, just a different one. The money issue looks to be the remainder of the crowd! The design itself is interresting, but I'm trying to convince myself, does it belong on this particular area. This, to me, is one of the more scenic sections of this river. This is one time you've got to get it right! And this is comming from the guy that does'nt care "how tall" or what-ever else gets built in any particular area. This is one of the exceptions!! IMO... thanks for responding... !!!!!!!!!! Just kidding, Freeweed, but thanks for pointing that out...

Last edited by bob1954; Aug 1, 2009 at 8:40 AM. Reason: adding word

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:18 PM
Round Head

Next bridge process much better

Calgary Herald August 1, 2009

Push aside the buzz of complaints over Calgary's new footbridge and one can hear the healthy hum of a deeply engaged public, chattering about what the city's future should look like.

Chris Ollenberger, who is in charge of the project to build a second pedestrian bridge, understands the need for such input. The president and CEO of the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation immediately announced he will hold an open competition to find the right design for the next bridge;one located in his jurisdiction, the East Village. He says members of the public will have a chance to express their opinions in some fashion.

"Not everybody is going to come to a consensus on this bridge, that is going to be the sure outcome," says Ollenberger, who had no hand in the Peace Bridge process or the ill-conceived decision to acclaim Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.

"Not everybody is going to like whatever happens. But to actually have a debate and engage people with it should lead to a better project and should lead to a sense of pride in the city for being involved with it. It's good."

He's so right. What was egregious about the first footbridge went well beyond its outrageous $24.5-million price tag. Council disregarded the electorate, seeking neither public engagement nor the talent of local architects.

By acclaiming someone famous, the city paid top dollar for a design many now feel has been imposed upon Calgary by an outsider who has no connection with Calgarians.

Understandably, many are overly critical of the red, helix-like structure often likened to a Chinese finger trap or hamster tunnel. One Herald reader said "it looks like something you would find wrapped around asparagus in the produce section." Another called it "ugly as sin" and said: "Say No to the orange torpedo."

Much of this fury could have been diffused had the city involved the public more, or invited people to meet the architect. Cantos Music Foundation recently hosted a full house at its public unveiling of the shortlist for its King Edward renaissance project. The five finalists in the international design competition were on hand, making their presentations to the people.

This is how it should be done. Ollenberger plans on using the help of an advisory committee to narrow down the entrants. As long as there is a good balance of views represented from different walks of life, this can offer fresh opinions and new ideas to the project.

The competition should lead to exciting outcomes because it is open-ended. The sky is truly the limit in terms of ideas that could be introduced, at least conceptually. That doesn't mean the structures would work in reality.

Many of the proposals might not be practical. So be it. It isn't every day the city builds a structure that is supposed to benefit generations. Bring on the creativity, and let it flow as freely as the river this bridge will span.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...281/story.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
On July 28th the city released the renderings for the new "Peace Bridge" designed by Santiago Calatrava.

Credit: Calgary Herald http://www.calgaryherald.com/Gallery...139/story.html

What do you think?

When I saw just the first rendering in the Herald, I was thinking, "Ummm, not liking it so much" as I thought that it just didn't fit in with the rest of the river valley environment. Additionally, I was disappointed not to see more of Calatrava's signature design elements implemented in this design, but after seeing the additional renderings posted above, I have to say that I do like it! The first rendering makes it look like a bullet train, evoking a sense of speed (pedestrians and cyclists can move about easier and more quickly with this bridge installed) and the other renderings makes it look like it would be a very cool experience going across it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates