HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
French Canadian TV does a decent job showing his films. I remember having no trouble catching some of the Gendarmes de St Tropez movies on TFO back in the late 90s. Haven't watched much TFO since then so I couldn't comment.

I don't know which channels you get in Toronto but yeah, it's not hard to find his films on TV here in Quebec. I stumble upon them regularly when channel surfing. It happened just a few days ago in fact.

His appeal certainly isn't dying out.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:32 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Civ 2 was fine, but Civ 3 I found too needlessly complicated. Too much micromanagement, not enough action.
You may like Warband, it has action but a more realistic strategy element than the civ series. I cant go back to civ now ive had a taste for warband.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:42 PM

This is one of the moments I have from time to time in this forum - the only electronic games I ever played were Pong and Pac-Man. At university.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:24 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
This is one of the moments I have from time to time in this forum - the only electronic games I ever played were Pong and Pac-Man. At university.
Youre missing out gramps retirement is the best time to get absorbed in strategy gaming.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:32 PM

I was never much for the vidya. I think the last PC game I played seriously was Railroad Tycoon (for DOS, of course) in the early 90s.

My wife bought a Wii back in the late 00s when it was the hot electronic gadget, I have to say that I enjoyed Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution despite not being that great at either.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:43 PM
Majestic

Personally I can't get much into strategy anymore unless the games have as much depth as Paradox's grand strategy titles (see Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis 4, etc.). Part of that is that I'm nearing 30 and and I just don't have the twitch skills to be competitive in games like DOTA or Starcraft II. That said, I'm still awful at the strategy games I do manage to enjoy.

Flickr

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:17 AM
The New Republic

edit

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 27, 2017 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:29 AM

Food Wow... Everything..... Love how you can try something new every week of your life!
Music...... New ....folk.....80s......country.......classic rock......blues
Travel destinations....... World cities....... Europe.......Asia .......Alberta and BC nature
TV....... Very little......Big Bang makes me laugh...... Mixed news while working out.....the odd game.....
Driving.......I am an outlier here probably.... A big Ram truck and a 2 seater Mercedes roadster
Books.....anything politics.....leadership....... Statistical analysis
Sports CFL Football...Stampeders.....olympics....... Can be a bandwagon jumper for others but not much else
Alcoholic Beverage......beers( local when traveling) and nice aged rum... Sometimes scotch
Dating partner ... Married... Hetero..... Similar age
Newspaper .......Calgary herald...globe and mail..... Cnn.....Der Speigel.......Uk times
Hobbies ....... Golf..... Running long distance marathons.....architecture..... Urban planning .....gardening... Do it your self projects

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance View Post
I have a few gay friends but I have never heard the term "cub", but assume it's a young "bear"? If not, I'm really curious to know! I'm also glad mine isn't the only list that comes off as obvious young person. I'm 29 but am more or less a millennial.
Cub generally means someone who has the overall build/body type of a bear, but who acts more effeminate.

My partner is 6'3", 240 pounds (more muscle than fat), and if he was so inclined, could beat pretty much anyone he met into the ground. But personality wise, he's extraordinarily cutesy/effeminate and he's far more interested in music and theatre than sports or bodybuilding.

I've also heard "cub" be used to simply refer to a younger bear, though.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:35 AM

Food: Mediterranean, curry, sushi, fresh fruit and anything with cheese

Music: Wide range of tastes but generally house, electro, classic rock, modern (non-metal) rock, hip hop

Travel destinations: Have checked off all 10 provinces, various states, England, France, Mexico, Japan. Next places I'd like to check out are Belgium/Netherlands and the US west coast. Also anywhere with mountains conducive to winter sports.

TV: Eclectic/don't watch a whole lot. Game of Thrones, South Park, Boondocks, Rick and Morty, Tom Goes to the Mayor

Driving: Haven't owned a car in years, slight preference for German cars but not really picky. Actually really enjoy driving trucks, especially on dirt roads. Also, boats.

Books: Mostly non-fiction, although Watchmen is probably my favourite book. Calvin and Hobbes will always be up there for me.

Sports: Don't really follow most pro sports very closely or have much team loyalty, although I'm nominally a Jets (NHL) fan.

Dating/partner: Hippie/artsy girls, a lot of the girls I've been drawn to lately have been both brunette and bisexual, although this is incidental. I think my ideal partner would be equal parts Ariana Grande and Tina Fey.

Alcoholic beverage: Mostly beer, not too hoppy.

Newspaper: Chronicle Herald, The Coast, CBC, Globe and Mail, Guardian, a lot of one-off articles online from various news sources.

Hobbies: DJing/music production, climbing, hiking, snowboarding, surfing, nightlife, architecture/planning related stuff, losing myself in Wikipedia.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Absolutely fantastic actor. As a kid I called him 'little grandpa' so it sort of stuck around in my family...

French Canadian TV does a decent job showing his films. I remember having no trouble catching some of the Gendarmes de St Tropez movies on TFO back in the late 90s. Haven't watched much TFO since then so I couldn't comment.

In addition to the absolutely fantastic Gendarmes movies, his Rabbi Jacob film was an absolute riot. The energy and facial expressions/gestures he puts into his roles are in a class of their own.

... It was sad to hear of Michel Galabru's passing... Also enjoyed his movies, in particular Le Grand Bazar.

Not sure if flipv is paying attention these days, but I thought of him earlier this afternoon when a thirtysomething colleague in the office did the Rabbi Jacob dance by Louis de Funès.

For those who don't know... totally un-PC, but a global francophonie classic! The movie is from 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YL8CFe7QYs

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Food: Sharma, hummus, pizza, potaetoes etc.
Music: American jazz/classical blues rock.
Travel destinations: The alps mainly austria germany.
TV: Is HBO a place? /Sci fi filmed in toronto
Since getting netflix I absolutely love watching nordic cinema, some latin american shows, Especially love 3% and Narcos.

I also have a aching desire to see the american desert, although I don't know if that's even really a thing. Far more interested in snow shoeing the lewis hills/hiking them in summer when it looks like a desert.

And I completely forget to mention how much I want to go into the high arctic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Driving: Hate cars although worship tesla motors/ In reality I love the new bombardier rail cars
Books: history/history/anthropology/scifi
Sports:Use to love soccer, won't watch it now that my ankles are shot.
Dating/partner: 7th generation Canadian My dating history suggests I go for exclusively amazing light colored eyes(silver/green).
Alcoholic beverage: wine although I try very hard not to drink.
Newspaper: I guess Aljazeera/cnbc business are my favorite newsertainment sources, and I like the pictures in nat geo.

Hobbies: Hiking/urban exploring, languages, history, music, culture.
I should also mention I like girls who are autistic(think the girl from firefly).

Completely forgot to mention I also have a huge interest in philosophy/psychology and its role in culture.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 12:57 AM
The New Republic

Food: Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Canadian
Music: Canadian and American music 1940-1990
Travel destinations: Scandinavia, UK, latin America, Canada
TV: twice a week I'll watch Motive and that's about it for tv
Driving: most things German or then domestic trucks/SUVs (the bigger the better)
Books: urbanism, architecture, business, geo-politics
Sports: CIS football/basketball, Canadian national teams (basketball), CFL, swimming, tennis, athletics, Raptors
Dating/partner: N/A
Alcoholic beverage: wine, beer
Newspaper: Globe & Mail, NYT
Hobbies: design, cooking, biking, travel, love driving

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:59 AM
ハルウララ

Food: Korean, Chinese, Canadian
Music: Varies. ElectroHouse, Downtempo, HipHop/RnB
Travel destinations: Western Europe, Japan, Scandinavia
TV: Lately: Grand Tour, Stranger Things, Bojack Horseman
Driving: Nothing special recently
Books: Drama/Thriller fiction. Historical non-fiction
Sports: Ice hockey, Tennis, Footy, Sumo
Dating/partner: Various. Past girlfriends were Chinese, British, etc.
Alcoholic beverage: Beer, Rum, Vodka
Newspaper: None
Hobbies: Sailing, data collection & analysis, foreign languages, gym

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 4:13 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Food: Generic(mac-n-cheese,mashed potatoes,chicken), mixed with some asian (rice n other stuff),with a bit of liking of pasta/lasagna,extremely slight liking now, large fan of veggies, trying to cut down on meat consumption for better health (im healthy as is but idk)
Music: I dabble in 60's to 70's pop/rock, some 70's dub, a bit of the 70's to 90's electro/dance club scene, alot of alternative/ general rock from 80's to 00's, a bit of metal of 80's and 90's, andsome brit-pop/rock, fan of grunge or post-grunge as well
Travel Destinations: I traveled before, but had a terrible time in Europe over two years ago and a meh time in cuba a year later. Now I just travel to some places around S. Ontario if I see family.
Television: Some comedy, and sitcoms of past years (M*A*S*H,Seinfeld,Fraiser,Cheers) and a few documentaries if bored, some movies whenever they come on
Driving: I could learn to drive, but I don't like the idea of it AT ALL, just a long distnce walker/transit user
Books: When I do read, which isn't so often, I dabble in a history-based book or two, and an occasional novel
Sports: I'm not a sports kinda person, though I mean I'm happyish if the Blue Jays are doing well or something :/
Dating/partner: Ugh....fuck no. Love is really weird, I like to think I'm romantically maladroit, and I need a job before I get dumped
Alcoholic Beverage: Really not a fan of alcohol. My dad is quite alcoholic and just really not helathy as a result of alcohol (overweight,high blood pressure)
Newspaper: Metroland, Toronto Star verry occasionally, a few times a year the St. Mary's Spec
Hobbies: Photography, Drawing, A bit into singing, Hiking, Exploring/location scouting

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada