Urbis Maximus

/\ That's remarkable....

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 6:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Quebec City had ZERO homicides in 2008.
Actually, it was 2007 mon ami.

The murder-free stretch in Quebec City was actually longer than 12 months, and actually spanned (IIRC) from October 2006 to July 2008.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 6:31 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Homicide isn't the only measure of crime. If anything, so long as its beneath a certain threshold, its the least important considering the rarity of it compared to robbery, assault, burglary, etc.

OK, so Montreal is more likely to spray paint your car. Toronto is more likely to kill you.

Apples and Pommes I guess.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:24 PM

from www.cfra.com
Quote:
First Murder of 09Josh Pringle
Friday, January 2, 2009

A 41-year-old man is Ottawa's first murder victim of the New Year.

Ottawa Police say officers responding to an emergency call early New Year's Day found the body of the victim in a Vanier apartment.

25-year-old Tim Kadluck of Ottawa will appear in court Friday morning charged with second-degree murder.

Investigators have not released the name of the victim found in the Dieppe Street apartment. There is no word on the cause of death.

The Major Crime Section continues to investigate.
Looks like we're off to a pretty quick start after a record low year.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 10:00 PM
Mooderator

^ New Year's brings out the best in people.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 8:42 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Thunder Bay records murder-free year
Tb News Source | January 2, 2009
http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/index.asp?cid=114641

The Thunder Bay Police Service hopes 2009 looks like 2008 when it comes to the number of reported homicides– zero.

The last time the city had a homicides-free year was 2004.

Executive officer Chris Adams said the city usually sees two or three murders a year, so 2008 was significant.

'It’s a rare thing and it’s something we’re grateful of obviously because homicide is a very significant, traumatic event to not only the people directly involved but also the other people that have to deal with it; family members and others who are going to be affected for the rest of their lives,' he said.

Homicides aren’t a common occurrence in Thunder Bay, Adams said, with the last five years seeing a low of zero and a high of three per year.

But police do witness close calls.

'We’ve often seen that in some of the stabbings, you start reading into them and realize how close they actually came,' said Adams. 'Or is some cases a very violent fight escalates and someone is either looking at a very serious head injury or other injuries. But primarily the stab wounds you see, it’s a miracle sometimes that people actually survive from them'

In fact, Adams attributed the health care, particularly paramedics and emergency room personnel, for keeping Thunder Bay murder-free last year.

'If you look at someone who is a stabbing victim, very often the stab wounds are very serious and in some cases come close to actually severing major arteries, but I think that’s a testimony of the quality of professional care that people get from services like Thunder Bay Superior North EMS,' Adams said. 'When those paramedics are on the scene, they’re providing a lot of very significant vast treatment initially.'

Adams also said in many homicide cases in Thunder Bay, they incidents occur between people who know each other and they are quite often spur-of-the-moment events.

'Very often an assault either with a weapon or without can sometimes lead to a homicide at a later point … after a period of time and treatment,' he said.

He also said almost half of the violent crimes in Thunder Bay are alcohol related.

Murders in Thunder Bay over the past five years:

* 2004 – 0
* 2005 – 3
* 2006 – 2
* 2007 – 2
* 2008 - 0
2007 is three if you count my uncle's murder which was only ruled a homicide in mid 2008. Either that or they don't count it because the murderer was white. [/bitter]

Also, I think 2004 had one murder in the CMA. The son of Nishnawbe Aski Nation's chief was killed in Fort William First Nation during a summer, but I can't remember which year exactly. I'm pretty sure it was 2004, though.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:21 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
This gang war is getting out of control, guess it just comes with the territory now that we are getting to be a big city. I really hope they dont start bombing each other like the bikers in Montreal did in he 90s.
I was talking to one of the other dads on my daughter's hockey team the other day. His friend is in the RCMP gang analysis unit and says Calgary 'ain't seen nothing yet' in terms of gang violence. In his words he says that the current gang war is between a couple of small time gangs and it pretty minor. Currently they are sticking pretty much to killing each other. They (the cops) big worry is that sooner or later it will escalate. Apparently the big time gangs are the Hell's Angels, the Russian gangs, and the Jamaican gangs. Once they get involved it will get very messy. The Jamaicans are apparently noted for decapitating their victims and leaving them in public places. The Russians are just plain physically viscous, and the Hell's Angels just make people disappear without a trace. Once we start seeing this youwill know things have escalated.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:37 PM
Community Guy

yakuza and hk gangs where you at ?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I was talking to one of the other dads on my daughter's hockey team the other day. His friend is in the RCMP gang analysis unit and says Calgary 'ain't seen nothing yet' in terms of gang violence. In his words he says that the current gang war is between a couple of small time gangs and it pretty minor. Currently they are sticking pretty much to killing each other. They (the cops) big worry is that sooner or later it will escalate. Apparently the big time gangs are the Hell's Angels, the Russian gangs, and the Jamaican gangs. Once they get involved it will get very messy. The Jamaicans are apparently noted for decapitating their victims and leaving them in public places. The Russians are just plain physically viscous, and the Hell's Angels just make people disappear without a trace. Once we start seeing this youwill know things have escalated.
I believe that. The Russians are the ones that have the worst reputation IMO, they will shoot someone just to make sure the gun works.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:42 PM
Keepin it Real

Nice to see reputations still massively exceed reality.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:57 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Murders aside, regarding reputations, here is a sample of a typical stories in The Winnipeg Free Press, from today's online edition. As a lifelong resident, I must say that indeed, Winnipeg deserves its bad reputation of violence and crime. It's an unfortunate reputation, but it's so true. "Welcome to Winnipeg: WATCH YOUR BACK!"

Man charged following incident near downtown bus stop

By: Staff Writer
12:19 PM

A man has been charged in connection with an incident on Jan. 3 near a downtown bus stop where an intoxicated male wielding a knife was verbally aggressive and threatening toward a 55-year-old father and his three children.

Trent Chubb, 20, of Winnipeg has been charged with assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre..._bus_stop.html

Man charged in stabbing, bear-spray attack

11:44 AM

Winnipeg police have made an arrest in a stabbing and bear-spray incident on Sherbrook Street last week.

Police were called to the 500 block on Sherbrook Street after reports a man had bear-sprayed several victims before stabbing a 29-year-old male man in the upper body. The victim was transported to hospital in critical condition but was upgraded to stable and is expected to recover.

Police announced Monday that Curtis Wayne Henderson of Winnipeg has been charged with numerous offences including assault with a weapon, aggravated assault, assault causing bodily harm, uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, unauthorized possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and a number of court-order breaches in connection with the incident.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...ay_attack.html

Robbers attack bus passengers, driver

12:06 PM | Comments (0)

Winnipeg Police are seeking information about the identity of three suspects involved in assaults on a transit bus on Saturday.

At approximately 11:20 p.m., a group boarded an eastbound bus at Ellice Avenue and Wall Street and proceeded to the rear of the bus where they demanded money from a number of passengers and assaulted two males, aged 16 and 38. The male bus driver then demanded the suspects stop, but was also assaulted before they fled the bus. The driver was treated in hospital for minor injuries while the two other victims did not require medical attention.

The first suspect is described as a male in his 20s, 5-foot-9, aboriginal in appearance with a slim build, dark wavy hair and wearing a red bandana, a black parka and black pants. The second suspect is described as a male in his 20s, 5-6, aboriginal in appearance with a slim build, shaved head and was wearing a light brown parka while the third suspect is a female, also in her 20s, standing 5-2, aboriginal in appearance with a chubby build.

Descriptions of a number of other suspects allegedly involved in the robberies are not available and the investigation is continuing. Anyone with information regarding the identity of the suspects or the incident is asked to contact investigators at 986-2839 or CrimeStoppers at 786-TIPS.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...rs_driver.html

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jan 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:14 PM
I am a typical

Winnipeg deserves its bad reputation of violence and crime? What do you mean deserves? Does Winnipeg deserve people to just bitch about its problems instead of working to solve them instead? Because that seems to be all you are capable of.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:18 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyfriends View Post
Nice to see reputations still massively exceed reality.
worth repeating...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:49 PM
The Loyal Opposition

my apologies

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jan 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 8:16 PM
Suburban dweller

Murder toll hits historic high

Homicides spike to 122 just one year after decline

By Stephane Massinon, Calgary Herald January 9,

Led by 67 deaths in Calgary and Edmonton, and another 53 in RCMP jurisdictions, the past year topped the provincial mark of 108 recorded in 2005, according to data compiled by the Herald.

Those murders, and two in Lethbridge, add up to more killings in the province than there have ever been, according to Statistics Canada numbers dating back to 1961. While Edmonton and Calgary's numbers have remained stable over recent years, the spike across the province helped push the total to a dubious record.

The most common reason cited for the increase is the increase in population.

"Not to sound glib or trite about it, but there's obviously more people killing more people," said RCMP Cpl. Wayne Oakes.

But explaining why the province recorded so many murders last year remains an inexact science, say experts.

In districts policed by the Mounties--rural Alberta, but also the cities of Red Deer and Fort McMurray -- there was a large increase in homicides the year after a large decrease. Both are believed to be anomalies.

Alberta's murder rate for 2008 stands at 3.7 per 100,000.

That's well above the national average of 1.8 for 2007.

In recent years, the highest Alberta rate was 3.5 in 2005.

Oakes said explaining the number of murders last year is as difficult as explaining why there were so few in 2007. Alberta had only 23 killings in RCMP territory in 2007 and, according to Statistics Canada, a total of 88 in the province.

As has been the trend in recent years, there were more killings in northern Alberta than in the southern part of the province.

"It's hard to say why you're going to have homicides in one community but not in the next," said Oakes.

"They are up," said Calgary-Hays MLA Art Johnston, a former police officer.

"The gang activity is more prevalent than when I left policing six years."

Johnston said there are a number of initiatives undertaken by the province to help address crime, such as his safer communities legislation.

"I am concerned, like anyone else," he said.

In Calgary, a quarter of the city's homicides were gang-related, but many homicide motives remain unknown and could push the two other leading causes--domestic/family killings and confrontations--to the forefront.

In RCMP territory, 14 of 53 homicides were domestic or family killings, while seven were considered gang-related and five drug-related,

Mount Royal College criminologist John Winterdyk said the domestic and family murders could be tied to the stress of difficult economic times.

"It tends to create tensions in the household," he said.

But for the overall numbers, he also pointed to the growing population in Alberta but added that the long-term trend over decades is a decreasing murder rate.

"When you partial out the gang-related homicides, it brings the number more in line with the trend," said Winterdyk.

"At the end of the day, it becomes a social, cultural, political, economic situation that is fairly complex to unravel. You almost have to go at a rural community, local regional, national level to help explain it."

He said if there were an easy explanation to reduce the homicides, it would have been put in place. That said, he wouldn't be surprised to hear a call from police for more money.

"When these things happen, it is a tool that the (justice) system can use to justify the call for more resources, whether it's financial, more manpower or otherwise."

Not all killings occurred in 2008.RCMP say they've re-classified three cases-- one from 2007 and two from 2005--as homicides because of new information learned by investigators.

Medicine Hat, Camrose and Taber police services reported no homicides last year.

In RCMP territory, 77 per cent of the 2008 homicides were considered solved, but Oakes noted there could well be people out there with information related to unsolved murders. He urged them to contact police or Crime Stoppers.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

-------------------------------------------

Interesting that 67 of 122 homicides were in Calgary 7 Edmonton. That's roughly 55% of the total yet the 2 cities have about 2/3 of the population. No doubt some (or many) of the homicides from outside the 2 major cities were in communities or areas immediately outside Calgary & Edmonton (eg Chestermere, Strathcona County etc.) so you could almost count them as 'big city'. I wonder if that brings the numbers more in line with the polulation or if there is still a disproportionate number of murders in rural areas.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 8:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Interesting that 67 of 122 homicides were in Calgary 7 Edmonton. That's roughly 55% of the total yet the 2 cities have about 2/3 of the population. No doubt some (or many) of the homicides from outside the 2 major cities were in communities or areas immediately outside Calgary & Edmonton (eg Chestermere, Strathcona County etc.) so you could almost count them as 'big city'. I wonder if that brings the numbers more in line with the polulation or if there is still a disproportionate number of murders in rural areas.
For Manitoba in 2007, there were 62 murders, and of that total I believe 28 took place in Winnipeg.

Give or take, Winnipeg makes up 60% of the provincial population, but only around 45% of the total murders. Therefore in Manitoba, there is certainly a disproportionate number of murders in the smaller communities.

The homicide "rate" in 2007 for areas the province of Manitoba, not including Winnipeg was around 7/100,000. I don't know the stats for this year.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 1:05 PM
I am a typical

NWO is at 1, could go up to 2, as far as I know. Thunder Bay at 0.

Quote:
KI man charged with New Years day murder
Wawatay News Online
http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/al...y-murder_15113

A Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug man has been charged with second degree murder in the Jan. 1 death of 23-year-old Lyle Ostaman.

Samuel Childforever, a 23-year-old KI community member, has been arrested and is scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 5 in Sioux Lookout to face the second degree murder charge.

The charge resulted from an investigation by the Big Trout Lake Police Service, assisted by the Ontario Provincial Police’s Northwest Region Crime Unit, Forensic Identification Unit, Emergency Response Unit and OPP Air Services under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch.

The Big Trout Lake Police Service had received a report in the early morning hours of Jan. 1 stating that a man was lying on West Bay Rd.; upon arrival, the officers determined Ostaman was deceased.
Quote:
Police still probing death
Fort Frances Times | Tuesday, 6 January 2009
http://www.fftimes.com/node/218478

Son is facingsome charges

The OPP is continuing its investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of 50-year-old Barbara Dawyduk of Fort Frances, who was found deceased in her home at 707 Third St. W. on the morning of Jan. 1.

A post-mortem examination was conducted Saturday at the Hamilton General Hospital.

Police are not prepared to comment on the results of the post-mortem examination.

The Dawyduk residence has been under police security since the morning of Jan. 1 for forensic examination.

Jamie Dawyduk, 19, has been charged by police with two counts of assault causing bodily harm in relation to his parents, Thomas and Barbara Dawyduk, along with one count of mischief and one count of breach of probation.

These offences are alleged to have occurred during an incident at the family home on the evening of Dec. 31.

Jamie Dawyduk appeared in court in here yesterday and was remanded into custody until his next court date set for Feb. 10.

Police are not prepared to comment on whether there is a connection between the assault on Mrs. Dawyduk and what caused her death.

Members of the North West Region Forensic Identification Unit and the North West Region Crime Unit are assisting with the investigation, which is being conducted under the direction of Det. Insp. D.J. Olinyk of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch in Kenora.

Further information will be released once it becomes available.
The last one is similar to what happened to my uncle, assault resulting in death at a later time, and that doesn't seem to count as homicide.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 10:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is an interesting story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9010115.html

There was a drive-by shooting that has resulted in a fifteen year old boy being arrested for the attempted murder of a fourteen year old.

Here's an interested part of the article:

Quote:
The boy is no stranger to youth court. He has six convictions on his record, including one for aggravated assault and one for robbery, but hasn't been sentenced to a single day in jail.
The youth justice system is extremely broken in NS. I don't know about other provinces, but a small number of people commit a hugely disproportionate number of violent crimes and they serve little or no jail time.

There was a case a while back where a teenager (possibly in a stolen car, I don't remember) was joyriding and killed a woman. It turned out he had some ridiculous number of prior similar offenses that simply never resulted in him hitting somebody, so he got off basically without penalty.

I can see letting first time offenders off with some kind of community service or whatever but repeat offenders need to rapidly see more and more jail time. On the one hand the courts shouldn't unnecessarily destroy the lives of young people who simply "screw up", but there are some serious criminals who are not going to change and need to be kept away from the public.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here is an interesting story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9010115.html

There was a drive-by shooting that has resulted in a fifteen year old boy being arrested for the attempted murder of a fourteen year old.

Here's an interested part of the article:

The youth justice system is extremely broken in NS. I don't know about other provinces, but a small number of people commit a hugely disproportionate number of violent crimes and they serve little or no jail time.

There was a case a while back where a teenager (possibly in a stolen car, I don't remember) was joyriding and killed a woman. It turned out he had some ridiculous number of prior similar offenses that simply never resulted in him hitting somebody, so he got off basically without penalty.

I can see letting first time offenders off with some kind of community service or whatever but repeat offenders need to rapidly see more and more jail time. On the one hand the courts shouldn't unnecessarily destroy the lives of young people who simply "screw up", but there are some serious criminals who are not going to change and need to be kept away from the public.
Ah yes the strange and slightly random drive-by last week. The poor kid didn't even think he was shot until he walked into the mall and talked to his dad. Luckily there happens to be a police office in the mall. The only part that seemed strange to me was the location. Who in their right mind would shoot someone on one of the busiest streets in Halifax less than a block away from a police station?

The hit-and-run you're talking about is the infamous McEnvoy one. The kid just got released from a court hearing on some sort of driving charge, he goes out and steals a car speeds around the west-end and collides with McEnvoy. To top it off he was also high at the time. He was released from Windsor charged with car theft and evading police despite the fact that there were 27 warrants for his arrest in Halifax at the time. The kid's name is Archie Billard and he was charged as an adult and is now serving 4 1/2 years at Waterville.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Another gang hit in Calgary yesterday bringing our 2009 total to 5 (4 are gang related).

Time to start a new '2009' thread???

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada