HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Removed would be best, but it would mean no connection between The Bay and the Rideau Centre. Maybe if Rideau Street was closed to traffic, it would work. Otherwise, they are likely necessary.
Those walkways are a blight and should be removed. The crosswalk links the Bay and the Rideau Center.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Removed would be best, but it would mean no connection between The Bay and the Rideau Centre. Maybe if Rideau Street was closed to traffic, it would work. Otherwise, they are likely necessary.
Until the underground connections between the Rideau Centre and the Bay, as well as Rideau expansion and William Street are built. Assuming the whole project goes forward (oh please let this project go forward).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme
H&M would be best in what is now the food court IMO (a couple of 2nd level stores would have to move to accomodate such most likely).
I was thinking the same thing, but I think it might be too small; they want 20,000 to 30,000 square feet and the food court and floor area above it might be around 10 to 15.

And I'm really concerned about fixing the gaping hole in The Bay's façade

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
H&M would be best in what is now the food court IMO (a couple of 2nd level stores would have to move to accomodate such most likely).
I should clarify: I agreed to a previous comment that yes, H&M would be ideal for the food court (and space on the second level). In addition, it would be nice to see the current Shoppers Drug Mart space renovated with a store opening on to Rideau as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
Retail-Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I see on your blog you mentioned Ottawa's Holt Renfrew might be moving.
Possibly. We're not privy to Nordstrom's lease with Rideau Centre. Holts would love to move into an expanded Rideau Centre (proposed space towards Rideau Street at the North-East section of the mall), but Nordstrom may have signed a non-competition clause blocking larger retailers like Holt's possible tenancy. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Holt Renfrew seems to be sizing itself into 100,000-130,000+ square foot spaces (similar to Saks and Neiman Marcus, and not much less than Nordstrom's newer stores). As Ottawa's Holt's is only about 47-48,000 square feet, it would want to obtain at least double its current square footage in a new Ottawa (and possibly Edmonton and Quebec City) store.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Possibly. We're not privy to Nordstrom's lease with Rideau Centre. Holts would love to move into an expanded Rideau Centre (proposed space towards Rideau Street at the North-East section of the mall), but Nordstrom may have signed a non-competition clause blocking larger retailers like Holt's possible tenancy. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Holt Renfrew seems to be sizing itself into 100,000-130,000+ square foot spaces (similar to Saks and Neiman Marcus, and not much less than Nordstrom's newer stores). As Ottawa's Holt's is only about 47-48,000 square feet, it would want to obtain at least double its current square footage in a new Ottawa (and possibly Edmonton and Quebec City) store.
Besides, it would need to go into a Rideau Centre expansion and not the existing mall since there is no place for such.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:56 PM

Depending how fast Holt Renfrew wants to acquire a larger space, they could take the space in the podium of a future condo tower between Cumberland and King Ed's and create more of a continuity to the Rideau shopping district. Of course they would be at a disadvantage since they would not have a direct connection (and be a few hundred meters) to the subway system.

And again, I there are definitive arguments to build a Bank-Rideau (and eventually extend to Montreal, then split Rockliffe Base north and La Cité Collégiale/Blair south) subway line. This line should come before the Carling Tram.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:56 AM
Retail-Insider

Last edited by Retail-Insider; Jan 28, 2014 at 7:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:08 AM

With all these changes in the retail sector, I wonder if it will create a spillover as smaller local retailers move "down" Rideau, basically replacing the underdeveloped and fairly blighted section between King Edward and the Rideau River? Lower Rideau certainly needs a facelift.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:41 AM

Rideau Street development is coming soon

Quote:
With all these changes in the retail sector, I wonder if it will create a spillover as smaller local retailers move "down" Rideau, basically replacing the underdeveloped and fairly blighted section between King Edward and the Rideau River? Lower Rideau certainly needs a facelift.
Most of the block where the former Jewish Community Centre was (I think it's Friel and Rideau) is planned for a mega project. Probably not too long after the present water and sewage upgrading is finished. There is also the south-east corner of Rideau and Charlotte that's on the back-burner. There's probably more.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHOOLE View Post
Most of the block where the former Jewish Community Centre was (I think it's Friel and Rideau) is planned for a mega project. Probably not too long after the present water and sewage upgrading is finished. There is also the south-east corner of Rideau and Charlotte that's on the back-burner. There's probably more.
The Jewish Community Centre "Beth Shalome" was bought by Claridge about a year ago or so. I hope they keep up with the better designs (and not fall back to the Claridge Plaza era).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:51 PM

I live just off Rideau in this neighbourhood and its so sad to see how decrepit many of these sites have become as we wait for sewer upgrades. Whoever has purchased these houses has let them decay when they could have been perfectly fine businesses until redevelopment (fmr Angelo's Pizza for example).

I sincerely hope they do small scale redevelopment in this area as well (6-10 stories) to keep with the feel of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
I sincerely hope they do small scale redevelopment in this area as well (6-10 stories) to keep with the feel of the neighbourhood.
0% chance. Further, I would argue that Rideau in that end, say between Nelson and the bridge has very little to do with the surrounding communities in terms of "feel" or "character".

What the area needs is a dynamic, bustling high street. There are already plenty of buildings taller than 10 storeys on Rideau Street, why try to "keep" something that really isn't there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:49 PM

Okay I know I am a genius and that people will thank me after saying this great idea but I've always believed H&M should move in the 5 story building RIGHT NEXT to the Rideau Centre, fronting Rideau St. (Approx. adress 130 Rideau St)? I've been all over Europe and H&M usually always places itself on high desirable streets and in 4 or 5 story heritage buildings. This building is prime location and is in definite need of a makeover. (Does anyone know why it's been vacant for so many years?). Plus, they could integrate it into the Rideau Centre once there is the expansion and the underground connection to LRT. Also, it would bring in more people on Rideau Street iself and revitalize the frontage a bit, while also bringing a bit more people to the great Urban Behavior right in front. Plus, they could start renovations and open up in a couple of months (a year top) and not wait for the Rideau Centre to build an actual extension.

Last edited by OTSkyline; Sep 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM. Reason: Image

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 10:59 PM

Yes, Ogilvy's.

Abandoned since Ogilvy's closed down in the 90s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogilvy%27s

Back in the 80s, they wanted to be part of the Rideau Centre project, but it never happend for some reason.

Original final Rideau Centre plan;
http://www.punkottawa.com/board/view...308c4a73314e58

Back in 2006, when the then owners Viking Rideau wanted to expand, they wanted to tear down Ogilvy's and rebuild (using mostly the original material) the old 1909 façade which was only 3 floors and about half as long on the Nicholas façade.

Rideau Centre 2006 expansion proposal: City of Ottawa
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...M-APR-0079.htm

Picture of Ogilvy's in the 1910s or 1920s (first building on the left);
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rideau_Street_06.jpg

Last edited by J.OT13; Sep 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
And again, I there are definitive arguments to build a Bank-Rideau (and eventually extend to Montreal, then split Rockliffe Base north and La Cité Collégiale/Blair south) subway line. This line should come before the Carling Tram.
The problem is the Carling streetcar would we way cheaper than a subway on the route you described.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
. Whoever has purchased these houses has let them decay when they could have been perfectly fine businesses until redevelopment (fmr Angelo's Pizza for example)..
it's Richcraft, and it's a favorite MO of theirs. We're pretty lucky that they (appear) to be moving much faster with 159-167 Parkdale. Still haven't heard a marketing name for that one, by the way, typing that address is pretty Nnoying, but not as bad as the newly-revealed Tega site at Parkdale and Burnside.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
The problem is the Carling streetcar would we way cheaper than a subway on the route you described.
No doubt. It would have to be built in stages; maybe 1. Lansdowne to King Eds, then 2. east to Eastview Plaza followed by 3. CFB Rockliffe and finally 4. south east to Blair via LCC and south central (not the neighbourhood) to Billings bridge.

If it's 600 million for the downtown tunnel (2.5 km), I estimate about 3.9 billion (+-16 km) if it was built and completed tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:28 AM

Here's an article from Urban Toronto about Cadillac Fairview's Sherway Gardens expansion. Could give us an idea of what the Rideau Centre will look like.

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/news/2012...herway-gardens

It's interesting that the mall will have both an expanded Holt Renfrew and a new Nordstrom. It shows that both stores could find a home at the Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Here's an article from Urban Toronto about Cadillac Fairview's Sherway Gardens expansion. Could give us an idea of what the Rideau Centre will look like.

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/news/2012...herway-gardens

It's interesting that the mall will have both an expanded Holt Renfrew and a new Nordstrom. It shows that both stores could find a home at the Rideau Centre.
I hope the Rideau Centre plans are up by December.

But if we lcompare the plans for Sherway with what we know about Rideau;

Sherway; 350 million for 210,000 sqft new retail and 90,000 sqft renovation

Rideau; 250 million for 180,000 sqft, including dismanteling a fairly large building, undeground garage, restauration of part of a historic façade, renos to the old Sears space, move the food court, transform former food court into street level retail and renos to... the whole Centre, right?

Seems like we might get the short end of the stick, again.

Of course, I might be wrong, as I often am. Maybe they are not planning to fix up the whole existing mall (last time was 2000, I believe, so not realy outdated) and it is possible that 250 million is a ballpark figure that might go up. Too bad we don't have a price for the Pacific Centre's redevelopement plans.

Last edited by J.OT13; Oct 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 2:52 AM

Simons' West Edmonton Mall store is opening tomorrow. It sounds great:

Quote:
The store will include changing stalls that descend from the ceiling and photo studios allowing customers to photograph themselves in outfits to send to friends for opinions.
It's weird to think Edmonton is getting a Simons before Ottawa and Gatineau.

http://www.retail-insider.com/2012/1...ton-store.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy