HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgtSmith559 View Post
How would you define "Atlanta"? Would you define it by the outline on Google, a greater MSA map, or everything ITP? Also just FYI, that specific part of town does carry an Atlanta address, so....
Anything in the official city limits. As these tax bills passes, developments inside the city limits become more and more important and critical to funding transportation projects and infrastructure.. I don't care if there's a 6 story stick-frame Modera being built in Cobb County. The people living in those apartments won't be paying taxes that will expand MARTA. It has an Atlanta address but it's not in the official city limits and they will be paying taxes to Cobb County.

That being said, I tend to pay a lot more attention to Perimeter projects since there's actually MARTA rail service in the area and it's in Fulton County.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:54 PM

I think the best plan for getting more park space in south midtown / north downtown is "the stitch".

The space on top of the connector won't be able to support big highrises anyways, but the park space will significantly increase the value of neighboring parcels and encourage more highrises around the area which in turn fund building the green space with the existing TADs that overlay the area.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think the best plan for getting more park space in south midtown / north downtown is "the stitch".

The space on top of the connector won't be able to support big highrises anyways, but the park space will significantly increase the value of neighboring parcels and encourage more highrises around the area which in turn fund building the green space with the existing TADs that overlay the area.
Assuming the stitch happens, we could always see the streetscape/bike lane improvements to extend down Juniper and Piedmont to supplement the stitch as well. That would extend perceived green space and walkability to the area. The benefit of extending those two buffered bike lanes to the stitch would make it a quick ride to the Freedom Park Trail as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:33 PM
AK

The renovation going on at 549 Peachtree Street across from Emory actually looks pretty good I think this is a development that a lot of people are sleeping on

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Yep! I also think it's worthwhile to keep tabs on what's developing around Cumberland/Cobb County. There's a lot of office and residential already in the area and even more in the pipeline. Heavy development will influence development along the west side of Atlanta, as well as potential future transportation infrastructure investments. While we likely want Atlanta to be sustainable without its neighbors that currently impose themselves as competition instead of complimentary to the city, Atlanta should absolutely want and encourage Cumberland, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Doraville, Decatur, etc. to develop in a way that will contribute to the long term growth of Atlanta.
Have to agree. Our urbanized area -- in terms of jobs, housing, retail, transportation, education, institutional presence, ethnic diversity and almost all other measures -- clearly exceeds the city limits.

In my opinion these areas will continue to densify and become more interdependent. While it's wonderful to see all the great growth intown, we are a massive sprawling metropolis and what happens at Cumberland and Perimeter is very much a part of the path of Atlanta.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Anything in the official city limits. As these tax bills passes, developments inside the city limits become more and more important and critical to funding transportation projects and infrastructure.. I don't care if there's a 6 story stick-frame Modera being built in Cobb County. The people living in those apartments won't be paying taxes that will expand MARTA. It has an Atlanta address but it's not in the official city limits and they will be paying taxes to Cobb County.
If a transit tax is your criteria then you should still be interested in that project. It's inside the Cumberland CID, which has been an advocate of rail expansion for years. Their influence will grow as the area gets denser. Also worth noting that it's already served by MARTA (just not by rail), so it will probably increase ridership.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Have to agree. Our urbanized area -- in terms of jobs, housing, retail, transportation, education, institutional presence, ethnic diversity and almost all other measures -- clearly exceeds the city limits.

In my opinion these areas will continue to densify and become more interdependent. While it's wonderful to see all the great growth intown, we are a massive sprawling metropolis and what happens at Cumberland and Perimeter is very much a part of the path of Atlanta.
That's great and all but people tend to discuss topics based on what they're interested in rather than the urbanized area. With the resurgence of the center city and the opportunity to finally develop complete urban areas, I think it's only natural that that's where most of the interest lies. The suburbs in Atlanta have boomed for decades so it's almost not news that they get new development.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
The renovation going on at 549 Peachtree Street across from Emory actually looks pretty good I think this is a development that a lot of people are sleeping on
Yes i like that alot! I think the colors and the style will make that section of Peachtree look much better than it does now.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:19 PM

Hopefully Cobb clues into regional transit soon. They keep losing major HQs.

Another one today: The Weather Co. moving HQ from Cobb to Perimeter

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:25 PM

Underground Atlanta

Does anybody know when "Underground Atlanta" will officially start??? At the last meeting with the Hawks the Mayor said they are set to close on Underground December 31st.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofatlanta View Post
Does anybody know when "Underground Atlanta" will officially start??? At the last meeting with the Hawks the Mayor said they are set to close on Underground December 31st.
I have been following it fairly close and that is more updated info than I have heard.

Last I had heard was the official line of 45-60 days (about 30 days ago) and unofficially that there were still complications that could drag it to 2017.

However, WRS is committed to it. They have already started closing on many of the surrounding parcels / historic storefronts on South Peachtree and Broad.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I have been following it fairly close and that is more updated info than I have heard.

Last I had heard was the official line of 45-60 days (about 30 days ago) and unofficially that there were still complications that could drag it to 2017.

However, WRS is committed to it. They have already started closing on many of the surrounding parcels / historic storefronts on South Peachtree and Broad.
Yes thanks... I think the momentum south downtown is starting to take off with many buildings being bought up. There is a flagship Suntrust Bank being being builts downtown as well.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/danias-re...suntrust-bank/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofatlanta View Post
Yes thanks... I think the momentum south downtown is starting to take off with many buildings being bought up. There is a flagship Suntrust Bank being being builts downtown as well.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/danias-re...suntrust-bank/
Nice. Five Points is really getting it's mojo back. Now we just need an awesome mixed-use high-rise project to replace that ugly parking garage on the block bound by Decatur, Peachtree, Wall, and Pryor. And of course this Underground redevelopment.

Edit: More investment in the area: MAJOR RENOVATIONS PLANNED FOR DOWNTOWN'S 101 MARIETTA STREET

Last edited by jsvh; Nov 16, 2016 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:47 PM

Major Renovations Planned for Downtown's 101 Marietta Street

Ownership of 101 Marietta Street, formerly known as Centennial Tower, announced today that they are completing major renovations to the well-known building. Renovations are underway and slated for completion by Thanksgiving 2016.The building will have front and back lobbies virtually connected by a larger than life video wall, and recaptured lobby space converted into collaborative workspaces. New onsite amenities will include “The Hub” complete with tenant lounge and gaming areas, a state-of-the-art conference/training space, and a renovated fitness center.In addition to the lobby and onsite amenities, the new owners,The Dilweg Companies, has provided a full floor of move-in-ready office spaces with high-tech finishes and flexible floor plans.
http://www.atlantadowntown.com/artic...arietta-street

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Nice. Five Points is really getting it's mojo back. Now we just need an awesome mixed-use high-rise project to replace that ugly parking garage on the block bound by Decatur, Peachtree, Wall, and Pryor. And of course this Underground redevelopment.

Edit: More investment in the area: MAJOR RENOVATIONS PLANNED FOR DOWNTOWN'S 101 MARIETTA STREET
That is awesome i dont live too far from here... It states there will be a video wall in the lobby, has anyone seen this video wall yet... is it up and running?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post

Ownership of 101 Marietta Street, formerly known as Centennial Tower, announced today that they are completing major renovations to the well-known building. Renovations are underway and slated for completion by Thanksgiving 2016.The building will have front and back lobbies virtually connected by a larger than life video wall, and recaptured lobby space converted into collaborative workspaces. New onsite amenities will include “The Hub” complete with tenant lounge and gaming areas, a state-of-the-art conference/training space, and a renovated fitness center.In addition to the lobby and onsite amenities, the new owners,The Dilweg Companies, has provided a full floor of move-in-ready office spaces with high-tech finishes and flexible floor plans.
http://www.atlantadowntown.com/artic...arietta-street
I'm very glad to see this happening. This is an excellent building that in my mind has never quite achieved its full potential. Part of that is due to its failure to embrace the pedestrian realm and another drag has been the crummy parking decks that surround it.

Great that it's also getting its real name back. With some exceptions, urban buildings should generally be designated by address. Much more dignified and practical.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:02 AM

Modera midtown appears close to topping out. They're on to the section that only goes north to south now at the top.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
I would love to see a photo of the progress on this building if anyone gets by there. I think this is a game changer for that area, along with (obviously) the shelter moving far, far away.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I would love to see a photo of the progress on this building if anyone gets by there. I think this is a game changer for that area, along with (obviously) the shelter moving far, far away.
I took this photo on November 7th when I was in the Westin observatory taking photos.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:04 AM

Great photo - thanks. I almost didn't recognize the building...it looks really different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations