HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 4:40 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Um, didn't Transcend's (Edmonton) barista win last year or the year before?
Baristas from Artigiano in Vancouver (maybe one year from 49th Parallel, which started as a sort of Artigiano spinoff) won every year from the first national comps in 2001 until 2009. Then in 2010 Rob Kettner from Victoria won, which was the first non-Vancouver winner. 2011 was indeed Josh Hockin from Transcend. 2012 was Jeremy Ho from P&S and this year is Ben Put from P&S. Ben came in second 2010, 2011 and 2012, competing for P&S then Transcend when his wife was at U of A getting her master's; he then moved back to Calgary and has worked and competed for P&S since then.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 10:03 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Green Chili on 17th now has a dinner buffet Weds-Sat. I LOVE this place, a lot more than Moti Mahal (which is about a 30 second walk from my front door- I walk the extra minute north to Green Chili!)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Had Pizzeria Posto last night (beside Bonterra). Had a proscuitto and arugula pizza with a roast chicken, apricot and beet salad. Pretty decent. Definetly a place to add to the repertoire.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Baristas from Artigiano in Vancouver (maybe one year from 49th Parallel, which started as a sort of Artigiano spinoff) won every year from the first national comps in 2001 until 2009. Then in 2010 Rob Kettner from Victoria won, which was the first non-Vancouver winner. 2011 was indeed Josh Hockin from Transcend. 2012 was Jeremy Ho from P&S and this year is Ben Put from P&S. Ben came in second 2010, 2011 and 2012, competing for P&S then Transcend when his wife was at U of A getting her master's; he then moved back to Calgary and has worked and competed for P&S since then.
Excuse the really basic question, but what criteria are the barista's judged on?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Had Pizzeria Posto last night (beside Bonterra). Had a proscuitto and arugula pizza with a roast chicken, apricot and beet salad. Pretty decent. Definetly a place to add to the repertoire.
Is this place new? Sounds like my type of place lol

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Could be- ginger with a big mustache last time I saw him.
Yeah I get coffee from that guy once in a while, gotta say I'm a fan of Cafe Rosso! They have pretty good breakfast sandwiches too. Glad to hear Calgary Baristas did so well, this city could become the new Mecca for coffee in Canada!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Excuse the really basic question, but what criteria are the barista's judged on?
Not basic at all. Very complex.

Each contestant must prepare four espressos, four cappuccinos, and four "signature drinks" of their own creation in 15 minutes or less. The drinks are prepared for the four "sensory" judges who grade each drink based on visual and taste aspects. Judges go through a "calibration" exercise before they judge (the day before the comps start) to ensure they all understand what the sensory criteria are and what constitutes good vs bad drinks. Judges have to overcome their own preferences here- eg I prefer a higher ratio of espresso in a cappuccino but a competition cappuccino can't have more than a 2-oz shot. Sensory scores are only half the scores; the other half is provided by the three "technical" judges, who accord and take away marks based on things like the shot timing (over 25 seconds is a deduction) and also the cleanliness of the work station. Wasting coffee is cause for deduction and there are other technical rules that result in disqualification- not sure what those are but Cole was DQed last year even though by points he made it into the finals.

So there are both subjective and objective standards and a panel of 8 judges: four sensory, three technical and one head judge whose job is to police the other judges to make sure they're not eg giving visible feedback.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:12 PM
not a NIMBY

Rocky's Burger Bus is moving to the parking lot of the Crossroads Market December 1.
At the current location they are only open during the week, but they will be open 7 days a week to start at the market and then see how it goes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:17 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Rocky's Burger Bus is moving to the parking lot of the Crossroads Market December 1.
At the current location they are only open during the week, but they will be open 7 days a week to start at the market and then see how it goes.
Great news. I am glad they found a spot with Crossroads Market. Their existing site was "challenging."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:50 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Great news. I am glad they found a spot with Crossroads Market. Their existing site was "challenging."
It might be interesting to watch the bus getting towed out of the hillside.

Bonterra's Italian Farmhouse is open in Bragg Creek. Sounds like a good destination for a drive in the country.

theitalianfarmhouse

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 6:32 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Anous is open! This is the dessert place at 323 17th Ave SW that's been under construction for a long time. Fiasco gelato, pastries, crepes, cappuccino bar. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AnousDessertsGelato

I love dedicated dessert places- we can never have too many. This place doesn't seem all that different from Crepes and Cravings (which is superb if you don't know it) but there is lots more seating and C&C has no espresso bar. M-F 8-9 and Sat-Sun 8-8... they might want to rethink these, but those are hours for now.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 2:55 PM
not a NIMBY

Cobb salad at Red's Diner, Ramsay

Red's Diner by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:21 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Anous is open! This is the dessert place at 323 17th Ave SW that's been under construction for a long time. Fiasco gelato, pastries, crepes, cappuccino bar. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AnousDessertsGelato

I love dedicated dessert places- we can never have too many. This place doesn't seem all that different from Crepes and Cravings (which is superb if you don't know it) but there is lots more seating and C&C has no espresso bar. M-F 8-9 and Sat-Sun 8-8... they might want to rethink these, but those are hours for now.
A dessert bar that isn't open late?? The whole point of a dessert bar is to have a place to go after a dinner out, or dinner at home and to stay late. 11:00 should be the earliest they close on Fridays and Saturdays. Some people just don't get it. You're in the restaurant industry, you're going to have to stay open late.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:42 PM
not a NIMBY

Cravings has opened a new location in the new Cana Construction building off 58 Av SE.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:21 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
A dessert bar that isn't open late?? The whole point of a dessert bar is to have a place to go after a dinner out, or dinner at home and to stay late. 11:00 should be the earliest they close on Fridays and Saturdays. Some people just don't get it. You're in the restaurant industry, you're going to have to stay open late.
I agree. Maybe post that to their fb page?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:25 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Cobb salad at Red's Diner, Ramsay
Cobb Salad should be chopped.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Anous is finally open lol

I might try their gelato tonight. Agree about the hours. Should be open to 10 or 11 like the other dessert type places on 17th.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 2:40 AM

Wow Chicken is open in Kensington now, anyone been?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 2:46 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Anous is finally open lol

I might try their gelato tonight. Agree about the hours. Should be open to 10 or 11 like the other dessert type places on 17th.
I went there on Friday. Got a "large" gelato which is pretty small, two very good Fiasco flavours, and a single espresso... it was around $8 which strikes me as steep given the small serving but it was perfectly good. The coffee is from a roaster called "cafe classics" in Richmond BC- I wish they used one of our outstanding local roasters but for what it is, it's fine, very nice La Marzocco GB5 espresso machine and a nice looking, if darker roasted, shot.

I did mention the hours and I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from other people too.

Not thrilled about the colour choices or the seating- feels a bit like a Just Desserts in Toronto circa 1998. Also they were playing horrible commercial radio but assured me that's not going to continue.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:21 AM

Asked around and got some more information about Phil & Seb's Mission location. (I'm hearing the 21st with a possible soft open before). Open until 9 PM, or 10 PM Friday/Saturday. While Marda has the Clover, Chinook the Kone, Mission will have Aeropress and a Kalita Wave Drip. And something about a possible future liquor license. :-)

A bit more excited than one should be about this opening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation