HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 11:52 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Urumqi

Urumqi is the capital of Xinjiang and holds the title as the city furthest away from any sea. There aren't many tourist attractions here, and the cityscape looks a few notches below the coastal regions. This is an ethnically-diverse part of China with a large Muslim Uyigur population.

The bazaar is nothing compared to Istanbul, but is a great place to Xinjiang's famous dried goods. Plenty of vendors sell similar stuff from suits to raisins across various buildings.

The bazaar doesn't only sell food but also souvenirs and everyday necessities for locals. A Carrefour supermarket sits in the basement floor as well.

There aren't many very tall buildings around town, and the skyline hasn't really clustered yet. Going up a few stories in this tower was already enough for a decent view.

Urumqi is now connected to the national high-speed train network although frequencies to Lanzhou are not good. The train station looks sleek but it takes 2 security checks to reach the gate - the security presence in Xinjiang is quite incredible.

More photos from China's part of the Silk Road on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/silkroad.htm

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

Looks like a great place to explore.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 12:24 PM
Illustrator, editor

Interesting, rare part of China, somewhat of a Chinese Istanbul perhaps minus the water. Great skyscrapers and markets. Must have been a pleasure to explore.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 4:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the market, the tower you went up in and some of the newer buildings certainly skew more central asian than chinese, as you would expect.

oh boy that market definately has my name all over it, i would love it. i am just fascinated with this silk road part of the world. thanks for showing us.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 12:44 PM
Hong Kong

Actually, the city is under a security lockdown with many checkpoints and screening at hotels, this market, and many other places. The locals were not particularly friendly either and the city seemed quite devoid of attractions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos