HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:21 PM

Hmm, the website seems to have changed a bit. There are a few new towers planned by them that i've never seen before.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 7:59 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
^Thanks for the links JDR. I'm a little surprised to hear your opinion over City House and The Olympic. My impression was that those were long dead, buried, exhumed, cremated, and then spread over the ocean.

They were an interesting pair at least.
The City House and The Olympic were never serious proposals. They had very little chance if any of ever getting built.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
Heavy User

Yeah I remember they seemed shaky even way back when they were first proposed. Wilshire Grand looks much better though I'm wondering if they would still be willing to go through with construction if they don't get the city tax breaks.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 12:08 AM

^ Something tells me they won't build if they don't get a tax break.

Anyway, when it comes to the City House and Olympic, the developer purchased the property back in 06 at the peak of the real estate boom for $30 Million. Seems like the project was pretty serious to me.

And if there was a reason why this project "died" (Metropolis goes WAY back, and it's still planned), it was due to the economy, and not the short-term lease signed by the nightclub there.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Nov 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 12:30 AM

Check S_OC's post in this project's thread on SSC:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=420777&page=9

Again, like I said, The City House & The Olympic is in the same situation that most big developments planned for downtown (and really across the entire country) are in.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 2:57 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ Something tells me they won't build if they don't get a tax break.

Anyway, when it comes to the City House and Olympic, the developer purchased the property back in 06 at the peak of the real estate boom for $30 Million. Seems like the project was pretty serious to me.

And if there was a reason why this project "died" (Metropolis goes WAY back, and it's still planned), it was due to the economy, and not the short-term lease signed by the nightclub there.
Actually, I think Crash Mansion (the night club) signed a 5 year lease. But again, the City House and The Olympic were never serious proposals. Not along the lines of The Grand or even Metropolis. Besides which, they were ugly and not meant for that area. This type of development I could actually rise in Beverly Hills.

But anyway, we're going off topic talking about buildings that probably won't get built. Back to The Grand.....

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 9:04 PM

You mean The Wilshire Grand.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 4:41 AM
Paramoderator

My god, I really hope this is built. I heard that the people who work at the Wilshire Grand don't expect to have their jobs by mid 2011. This only means that the timetable for the new Wilshire Grand is coming very quickly.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 6:26 AM

Mid 2011? Seriously? I know they have to tear down the existing building and all, but, in this economy?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 5:29 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Mid 2011? Seriously? I know they have to tear down the existing building and all, but, in this economy?
They have to start sometime. And they originally said a 2014 completion date, so I suppose they are trying to adhere to that. Also, apparently there is going to be a meeting soon about the demolition, they posted notices around the hotel.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:44 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

From Flickr, by lacurbed

From Flickr, by lacurbed

From Flickr, by lacurbed

From Flickr, by lacurbed

From Flickr, by lacurbed

From Flickr, by lacurbed

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:20 PM
Not far from Disneyland

It will be a fine addition to the LA skyline. I like it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 7:46 PM
Heavy User

^Yep. Needs to happen and should not only fit in fine but bring a lot of good to the region.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:49 PM

according to Curbed LA, the developer will fund a 9 million dollar study for capping the 101 freeway with a park, will remove billboards from the area and will improve streetscaping around the neighborhood. a win win for everyone involved!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:52 AM
New Yorker for life

The latest renderings look more height appropriate.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:59 AM

Its still the same height. Not sure the previous renderings were being dishonest. This one is certainly a lot more detailed.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 8:05 AM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
looks fantastic on those last renderings

and the lobby and bottom of the hotel tower has a very appealing and interesting design and alot of atmosphere. might become a very nice place to hang out

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Its still the same height. Not sure the previous renderings were being dishonest. This one is certainly a lot more detailed.
I'm sure it's the same height. The latest renderings just show the height more, and better detail.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...8A%2FN+Blog%29

La Stadium Designs To Be Unveiled
12.14.10 | Sam Lubell

Quote:
In other downtown news, City Council on Thursday will vote on the fate of the proposed Wilshire Grand redevelopment, which would include two large towers designed by AC Martin. Stay tuned everybody!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:53 PM
Ascension

From Curbed:

Quote:
]In anticipation of Thursday’s big Planning Commission vote on the Wilshire Grand hotel and office project in downtown, the Planning Department has released a report recommending a drastic reduction in the amount of electronic signage proposed for the two buildings. While developer Thomas Properties/Hanjin is seeking to swath much of its AC Martin-designed project in LED advertising, the Planning Department’s report, released last week, recommends limiting digital signage to 150 feet or 13 stories. Additionally, the report recommends that virtually no signs face the freeway.

This sign proposal “is more appropriate for the context of the Financial District,” said City Planner Kevin Keller. (In the gallery above is a Curbed Photoshop approximation of what the developer is seeking and what the city is recommending, as well as non Photoshopped signs--those are the developer's renderings, done by Rios Clemente Hale Studios, which represent the electronic signage as butterflies and sea gulls.)
Thomas Properties/Hanjin is studying this new proposal>>>

The Planning Commission can choose to adopt the Planning Department’s recommendations, or not. Ayahlushim Hammond, senior vice president of Thomas Properties Group, said her company was going through the Planning Dept's report “to see if it's workable or not.” She also added: “We like what we submitted.”

Even with the toned-down sign recommendation, the Planning Commission is faced with a difficult decision given that this new Financial District building is unprecedented in terms of digital signage. But it is also the first new office tower to rise in 20 years, and has the backing of City Councilwoman Jan Perry and the Downtown Neighborhood Council. Hammond said she believes the project and the signage works given the urban nature of downtown.

Less thrilled about the signage is project’s own architect. “No architect wants to see their building become a sandwich board,” Chris Martin, CEO/Co-Chairman/Principal at AC Marin, said in an interview last month. But he said he understands that in today’s competitive entitlement process, developers “have to ask for everything they can get,” be it signage rights or other requests.

Asked if the city's Planning Department considered recommending "no signs," Keller replied: "I think we evaluated all options."

Irregardless of the signs, is there a possible wrinkle to this project? Representing the nearby Wedbush Building at 1000 Wilshire, powerful lobbyist Benjamin Reznik filed a letter with the city over concerns about the proposed hotel and office’s use of the Francisco Street, where a partial vacation is planned. Reznick is worried about how the hotel's use of Francisco Street will impact the Wedbush tenants, who also use the street.“That needs to be look at at little closer,” Reznik told us last month.

As for actual digital signs on the Wilshire Grand, these are the recommendations by the Planning Department:

---A 3,000 square foot electronic display on 7th Street.

---A 900 square foot ticker-tape electronic sign on Francisco.

---A 2,000 square foot electronic display on Wilshire.

---A 1,200 square foot electronic sign on the corner of Figueroa and Wilshire.

---At least half of the area within the plaza would be covered in digital signage.

---The tower portion could have lights, but it would have to be “architectural lighting."

---The Planning Department isn't weighing in on whether to allow off-site or on-site signage. Off-site signage could mean Coke or Chanel or H & M ads; off-site could mean hotel convention ads, for instance (the developer could advertise anything that takes place at the hotel/office).

From the developer agreement with the city, just some of the community benefits of project:

----Thomas Properties/Hanjin will pay nearly $9 million for street improvements around 7th street.

----The developer will agree to fund part of feasible study for the freeway cap park over the 101 Freeway.

----The project will create an estimated 7,000 on-site construction jobs and an additional 5,000 construction-related jobs.

----To obtain a new sign district for this project, Thomas Properties/Hanjin would remove existing billboards from other neighborhoods.

---*More on Photoshops: We studied the elevations of the buildings from the Planning Dept's case file for our approximations. The first image--of the plaza--for instance, is a representation of digital advertising that is OK in size by the Planning Dept. While the city still hasn't ruled whether off-site or on-site signs will be allowed, we have shown an approximation of what the off-site signs would look like. Additionally, included in the gallery are renderings submitted by the developer. The developer's renderings, done by Rios Clemente Hale Studios, represent the electronic signage as butterflies and sea gulls.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
In anticipation of Thursday’s big Planning Commission vote on the Wilshire Grand hotel and office project in downtown, the Planning Department has released a report recommending a drastic reduction in the amount of electronic signage proposed for the two buildings.
Just as long as they don't lop off 200 feet...

Quote:
Even with the toned-down sign recommendation, the Planning Commission is faced with a difficult decision given that this new Financial District building is unprecedented in terms of digital signage. But it is also the first new office tower to rise in 20 years, and has the backing of City Councilwoman Jan Perry and the Downtown Neighborhood Council. Hammond said she believes the project and the signage works given the urban nature of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive