HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 7:10 PM
Bears of antiquity

Have they done anything to the Fox Photo and Car Lots over there yet? Any plans to?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 9:07 PM

I do admit, my comment did nothing to attest to my extreme admiration for the project. And I apologize for the pessimism -- Chad, your words were reminders that the project truly is one of the best urban revitalization efforts in the city. And I thank you for showing me a different perspective of "secrecy" and community-involvement for the private-development.

In response to the property rates and what the Pearl is doing, what I inarticulately was trying to ask is that given the Pearl's desire to have a multi-income hub, what can be done to make sure the development does not become just a string of expensive condominiums. It can't really be called gentrification just because a lot of the surrounding areas are abandoned.

And, yes, I am greatly interested in the implications of the development. I do see and accept how what I wrote earlier was not reflective of how much success the Pearl has achieved, and how much I want to see it continually achieve.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post
I do admit, my comment did nothing to attest to my extreme admiration for the project. And I apologize for the pessimism -- Chad, your words were reminders that the project truly is one of the best urban revitalization efforts in the city. And I thank you for showing me a different perspective of "secrecy" and community-involvement for the private-development.

In response to the property rates and what the Pearl is doing, what I inarticulately was trying to ask is that given the Pearl's desire to have a multi-income hub, what can be done to make sure the development does not become just a string of expensive condominiums. It can't really be called gentrification just because a lot of the surrounding areas are abandoned.

And, yes, I am greatly interested in the implications of the development. I do see and accept how what I wrote earlier was not reflective of how much success the Pearl has achieved, and how much I want to see it continually achieve.
I appreciate your response, and hope I didn't come off as too much of a curmudgeon. But I wanted to convey that there's no such thing as a "perfect" project, and that we shouldn't let "the perfect" be the enemy of "the good".

I hope that, in our lifetimes, we are forced to address the issue of housing affordability in the downtown core, because that will mean that the market has assigned great value to our urban neighborhoods. But right now, there is plenty of affordable housing in or near the city core, and very little market-rate housing.

And we'll never see our central neighborhoods really get traction until we convince higher-income folks (and lots of them) to move on in.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Seems like it, but maybe not. Wouldn't they just have called it "La Gloria" instead of "Ice House"? Also, they mentioned a wood burning oven. That doesn't really say Mexican street food to me. Maybe La Gloria is going to be in the Full Goods buidling? Although, if it will truly try to make the first quarter the work would be visible, which sounds like the Ice House.
[/url]
And to add even more confusion, this was in the HDRC agenda.
This fits a little better with the whole "street-food" theme, but I guess we'll find out soon for sure.
Quote:
TYPE OF WORK: New Construction
REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting a Certificate of Appropriateness for approval to construct an outdoor cooking
area.
1. The new outdoor cooking area will be constructed utilizing the existing steel brewery tank. The tank will be
modified to include new interior columns and a steel shade structure.
2. A new masonry and stone circular countertop will also be built.
3. The tank will be painted to match other buildings at the Culinary Institute of America.
RECOMMENDATION:
The staff recommends approval of this request as submitted. The proposed changes are architecturally and
esthetically appropriate for their setting and will have no adverse effects on the property or the district.

construction can't take too long, its going to start out as one of these.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
And to add even more confusion, this was in the HDRC agenda.
This fits a little better with the whole "street-food" theme, but I guess we'll find out soon for sure.
We went to the paella cookoff at the Pearl this past weekend and found out for sure that La Gloria will indeed be in the building by the river (ice house). They think it could be ready in May.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 8:07 PM

Took these earlier today.

With both of these nearing completion, I'm curious to see what's next. It would seem to me that they would focus on the parking lot between Full Goods and La Gloria (seen here as North River.)

With 500 parking spaces becoming available soon, some parking lots can disappear.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 1:33 AM

It's really starting to look good at the Pearl! Can't wait until it's all built out!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
With both of these nearing completion, I'm curious to see what's next. It would seem to me that they would focus on the parking lot between Full Goods and La Gloria (seen here as North River.)

With 500 parking spaces becoming available soon, some parking lots can disappear.
Well I was close, but it seems that we have an answer; the Ampitheater is next. It'll be directly behind the Stack Bldg.

Quote:
HDRC CASE NO: 2010-118
IDENTIFIER:
ADDRESS: 100 E Grayson, Bldg. 2
LEGAL DESCRIPTION: NCB 14164 BLK 1 LOT SW IRR 827.25 FT OF 1, NCB 959
LOT N IRR PT 25-27 & W IRR PT 33-40, P-100 (0.018) & P-
101 (0.0048) & NCB 973 BLK 16 LOT 1 (0.164)
ZONING: IDZ RIO-2
PUBLIC PROPERTY:
COUNCIL DISTRICT: 1
DISTRICT: RIO-2
LANDMARK:
APPLICANT: Rialto Studio
OWNER: Rio Perla, LP
TYPE OF WORK: Construction of Ampitheater and Landscaping

REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting a Certificate of Appropriateness for approval to:
The project is a natural extension of a previously-approved project (a stair between the Museum Reach and the Pearl property) and is located on the Pearl property, along the banks of the recently-completed Museum Reach river improvements. It abuts an existing parking area that doubles as a community market on the weekends, and faces the river.
The Museum Reach project provided a stage for performances; the amphitheater will complete the framework for this activity to occur. The amphitheater will be a permanent, but informal, structure, constructed in a series of descending levels, created by placement of seating boulders in arcs separated by aisles of grass. Its form embraces the area of the stage and focuses attention there. Trees - live oaks, bald cypress, and others - will be planted in the grassy aisles to provide shade for users while allowing unobstructed sight lines below the canopies to the stage.
The trees will be populated with down lights for user safety. At the edges of the amphitheater, slope stabilization will be accomplished by stepped boulders, which will contain areas for native plantings, creating rock gardens.
At the bottom of the amphitheater, twin truss towers will carry stage lighting. Behind the amphitheater will be a new, small building that will contain restrooms and storage, and will also serve as a sound booth during performances. It will be constructed of tan stucco walls and a metal roof, in keeping with the overall architectural and material concepts seen throughout the Pearl project. The structure will be planted with climbing vines to subordinate it to the garden-like amphitheater. Behind the small building, existing grain hopper structures will be illuminated to add to the visual nighttime drama of the amphitheater site. Portions of the amphitheater will be universally accessible and it will be blended into the surrounding Pearl development along its edges by plantings that supplement those already installed. Where gradients dictate, ramps will be built to convey users safely up and downslope.
Railings here will repeat the structure of the recently-completed stair. When not used to stage performances, the amphitheater - due to its grassy floor and surrounding vegetation - will serve visually as a river park, accommodating casual sitting and relaxing along the river.
RECOMMENDATION:
Staff has met with the applicant and recommends approval as submitted. The materials and design are appropriate for RIO-2 the proposed site enhancements are in keeping with Article VI, Division VI. Landscape Design. Lush and varied landscapes are part of the tradition of the San Antonio River. These design standards apply to landscaping within an individual site. Install Trees to Provide Shade and to Separate Pedestrians From Automobile Traffic. Install street trees along the property line or in the ROW abutting all streets according to minimum requirement standards Clearly define a key pedestrian gateway into the site from the publicly owned pathway at the river with distinctive architectural or landscape elements.
A. The primary gateway from a development to the publicly owned pathway at the river shall be defined by an architectural or landscape element made of stone, brick, tile, metal, rough hewn cedar or hand-formed concrete or through the use of distinctive plantings or planting beds.
Also on the (new) agenda were the medical offices on Camden (over Audrey's):
Its up for final approval but the commision had "concerns" over materials used on the facade. The owners are working with them.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Apr 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 11:11 PM

Let the massing begin!!

And now for the residential portion of the development.
Also, a sneak peak at the master plan.
So far we have:
3 at the Can Recycle Builidng
8 units at the Full Goods Building
12 units (if I'm not mistaken) at the Stack/CIA garage, still under construction
and now these.

9 townhome style apartments

from HDRC May 5th agenda:
Quote:
APPLICANT: Lake/Flato Architects, Inc.
OWNER: Rio Perla Properties, Inc.
TYPE OF WORK: Demolition & New Construction
REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting Conceptual Approval to demolish an existing residential structure and to construct
a multi-story town home complex.
1) Nine townhouse type apartments are planned for the site on the east side of Avenue A. These units are part of a larger 201 unit multifamily project planned at Pearl. The balance of the project consists of 192 units with structured parking that will be built across the street on the west side of Avenue A. Construction of the project will be started by early in October. The Pearl master plan, including the planned new apartments, is
guided by the RIO-2 district guidelines which "encourage high density, mixed use developments as extensions of the downtown core"
The new three story townhouse apartments will be self parked with garages on the first floor, accessed from the neighboring parking lots. One unit will be 1-bedroom and the rest will be 2-bedroom. An existing easement along Avenue A forces the townhouse buildings to be pulled back from the street, but the area in front of the new buildings will be carefully designed to embrace pedestrian walkability with ample new street trees and inviting entries. Along with the other new apartments to be built across the street on the west side of the street, en engaging new street scene along Avenue "A" will be created.
2) The existing residential structure at 506 Avenue A, will be demolished in order to accommodate the new construction.
The accompanying exhibits provide additional information.
RECOMMENDATION:
Staff recommends approval of the demolition of the house at 506 Avenue A. The Designation and Demolition Committee met on-site to consider the demolition and found the house to have low integrity. The replacement places are appropriate for the site and the further redevelopment of Pearl. Staff recommends conceptual approval of the proposed townhomes with the stipulation the driveway proposed for visitor parking not cut through the middle of the townhomes which disrupts the pedestrian flow along Ave A.. The design of the townhomes should relate to Pearl. This recommendation in consistent with Sec. 35-674 of the UDC. - Building Design Principles When a new building occurs, it should be designed in a manner that reinforces the basic character-defining features of the area. Such features include the way in which a building is located on its site, the manner in which it faces the street and its orientation to the river.
When these design variables are arranged in a new building to be similar to those seen traditionally, visual compatibility results. New Interpretations of Traditional Building Types is Permitted.
A. A new design shall draw upon the fundamental similarities among older buildings in the general area.
(b)Mass and Scale. A building should appear to have a "human scale". In general, this scale can be accomplished by using familiar forms and elements interpreted in human dimensions. Exterior wall designs should help pedestrians
establish a sense of scale with relation to each building. Articulating the number of floors in a building can help to establish a building's scale, for example, and prevent larger buildings from dwarfing the pedestrian.
(1) Express facade components in ways that will help to establish building scale.
A. Treatment of architectural facades should contain a discernable pattern of mass to void, or windows and doors to solid mass. Openings should appear in a regular pattern, or be clustered to form a cohesive design. Architectural elements such as columns, lintels, sills, canopies, windows and doors should align with other architectural features on the adjacent facades.
(2) Align horizontal building elements with others in the blockface to establish building scale.
A. Align at least one (1) horizontal building element with another horizontal building element on the same block face. It will be considered to be within alignment if it is within three (3) feet, measured vertically, of the existing architectural element.
and here is the agenda notes for the 192 unit apartment building

Quote:
HDRC CASE NO: 2010-127
IDENTIFIER:
ADDRESS: 312 Pearl Parkway
LEGAL DESCRIPTION: NCB 14164 BLK 1 LOT SW IRR 827.25 FT OF 1, NCB 959
LOT N IRR PT 25-27 & W IRR PT 33-40, P-100 (0.018) & P-
101 (0.0048) & NCB 973 BLK 16 LOT 1 (0.164)
ZONING: IDZ RIO-2
CITY COUNCIL DIST.: 1
PUBLIC PROPERTY:DISTRICT: RIO-2
LANDMARK:
TYPE OF WORK: Demolition & New Contruction
REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting a Conceptual Approval to demolish an existing warehouse and to construct a new 4-story apartment building.
1) The site to the west of Avenue A will contain a four story apartment building wrapped around a six-story parking structure (five-stories above grade and one-story below grade). The apartment building will contain a total of 192 dwelling units : 19 Efficiency Units, 121 One Bedroom Units and 52 Two Bedroom Units. The average size of these 192 dwelling units is 848 square feet. Thirteen of the ground floor dwelling units facing the newly created Paseo Street as well as Avenue A will be designated as Live/Work units. A Leasing and Clubhouse facility is provided for potential and current residents. The Amenities include an Exercise Room equipped with various work-out machines, a Social Gathering Room with kitchen and a sizeable outdoor Patio. An onsite pool is available for resident use only in the south facing courtyard.
The Parking structure is divided into two sections: Public parking for use by other buildings on the Pearl campus and Private parking for use by the residents and their guests. The Public parking area, located on the lowest two levels provides 142 parking spaces. The Resident parking levels on the upper four levels provides 288 parking spaces . Since the apartment building entirely wraps around the parking structure , it is not visible from the surrounding streets.
2) The existing warehouse will be demolished to accommodate the new construction.
RECOMMENDATION:
Staff recommends approval of the demolition of the 1970's warehouse building. Staff recommends conceptual approval of the apartment complex. As the design moves forward applicant should consider:
responding the industrial nature of the site, refining the elevation with the mansard roof, window sashes
should be industrial in character and have depth of profile, corner should be addressed cohesively meaning
the design on one facade must wrap the corner to tie in to the next facade, and screening of mechanical
equipment. Signage is not to be considered at this time. Sec. 35-674. - Building Design Principles When a
new building occurs, it should be designed in a manner that reinforces the basic character-defining features of
the area. Such features include the way in which a building is located on its site, the manner in which it faces
the street and its orientation to the river. When these design variables are arranged in a new building to be
similar to those seen traditionally, visual compatibility results. New Interpretations of Traditional Building
Types is Permitted.
A. A new design shall draw upon the fundamental similarities among older buildings in the general area.
(b)Mass and Scale. A building should appear to have a "human scale". In general, this scale can be
accomplished by using familiar forms and elements interpreted in human dimensions. Exterior wall designs
should help pedestrians establish a sense of scale with relation to each building. Articulating the number of
floors in a building can help to establish a building's scale, for example, and prevent larger buildings from
dwarfing the pedestrian.
(1) Express facade components in ways that will help to establish building scale.
A. Treatment of architectural facades should contain a discernable pattern of mass to void, or windows and
doors to solid mass. Openings should appear in a regular pattern, or be clustered to form a cohesive design.
Architectural elements such as columns, lintels, sills, canopies, windows and doors should align with other
architectural features on the adjacent facades.
(2) Align horizontal building elements with others in the blockface to establish building scale.
A. Align at least one (1) horizontal building element with another horizontal building element on the same
block face. It will be considered to be within alignment if it is within three (3) feet, measured vertically, of the
existing architectural element.
(3) Express the distinction between upper and lower floors in commercial and mixed-use buildings.
A. Develop the first floor as primarily transparent. The building facade facing a major street shall have at least
thirty (30) percent of the street level facade area devoted to display windows and/or windows affording
some view into the interior areas. Multi-family residential buildings with no retail or office space are exempt
from this requirement
Here are the images to go along with this.
Pearl Brewery Master Plan

Aerial of existing conditions

Aerial of proposed conditions

Existing streetscape

Proposed siteplan

"Townhome-style" apartments

4-story apartments

Now we just need to hear some news from 1221 and 1800 and we're in business.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 2:29 AM

It's about time and I am defiantly excited by this. Bring on Portland!

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:13 PM

That master plan is very interesting. Some more new buildings, and it looks like the Pearl brewery itself will be a restaurant and hotel. Will they be demolishing and rebuilding the back of the structure?

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
That master plan is very interesting. Some more new buildings, and it looks like the Pearl brewery itself will be a restaurant and hotel. Will they be demolishing and rebuilding the back of the structure?
Not sure, but it would seem like they would have to. There's not too many windows in the back. I took a photo of it, but also took alot more for those that haven't seen Pearl in a while. I have to say, everytime I go by there, I am more and more impressed with it. The scale is great and everything feels so compact. The residential component will just add to this and it is going to feel like a long 5 months before we get some activity for the apartments.

La Gloria was having a private event and I'm guessing it's probably opening soon.

Pretty much on the river.

On the right is where the Hotel is "planned"

Sandbar at the Full Goods, with the Stack garage in the back.

Walkway between Full Goods and Stack garage.

Entryway between buildings

Thats a big fan

AIA

Twig

I love how compact Il Sogno is

Site for aparments

The height of the buildings alone will help add to the density. 3 floors along 281 will bring the roofline to the freeway and 4 stories should double the current height of the warehouse.

That's all. All photos by me, and full size images on my flickr page.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 4:49 PM

Are those new apartments/condos mixed-use, besides a parking garage structure?

How cool would it be for the roofs that meet the height of the highway--and this goes for any of the buildings that might line 281 in the area--were green roofs for the tenants? If not green roofs, with all this reexamining of space in that area, I think we should also be looking at the flat roofs as useable spaces.

Also, does anyone know the extent to how Pearl plans to protect multi-income residents and commercial tenants? Would they be integrated in the buildings themselves or separate?

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Are those new apartments/condos mixed-use, besides a parking garage structure?

How cool would it be for the roofs that meet the height of the highway--and this goes for any of the buildings that might line 281 in the area--were green roofs for the tenants? If not green roofs, with all this reexamining of space in that area, I think we should also be looking at the flat roofs as useable spaces.

Also, does anyone know the extent to how Pearl plans to protect multi-income residents and commercial tenants? Would they be integrated in the buildings themselves or separate?
I think a few of those are live/work space, and by a few, I mean maybe 7 or so.
I don't think that the garage, which would make up a majority of the roof is going to be covered or flat in order to have very much useable space. Just like the Stack Building, I suppose that the garage in the apartment building is going to be open on the top floor. However, the flat roof which is useable, on the Full Goods Builidng, does have a 200kW solar array.
And can you ellaborate on "protect?" Do you mean security-wise?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Kit and his Silver Ventures company are developing the Pearl so perfectly. He could have easily done a Victory Park type development but it probably would have ended with the same ghost town results, instead, he's building this out so organically. It's going to transform this area just north of downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 1:50 AM

By protect, I mean make sure that multi-income housing and commercial tenants are kept, and that no certain economic group dominates the development.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 3:54 AM

Quote:
By protect, I mean make sure that multi-income housing and commercial tenants are kept, and that no certain economic group dominates the development.
I think we addressed this a couple of months ago; I gave a pretty detailed response, as well as another member of the forum.
I'm sure it will be dominated by whatever the market dictates. That is how private development works, isn't it?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 6:06 PM

For those that are interested, the CIA lofts are now preleasing, there's 8 units available. Move in is scheduled for November; by then, ground should be broken on the apartments.
Lofts range from 886 - 1508 sq. ft. and $1462.00 - $2714.00. At about $1.60-$1.80 sq. ft. it's not too bad. That's a bit cheaper than Quarry Village.

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=1...5&e=e3a220f6a1
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 5:31 AM

Does anyone know if Pearl is considering expanding around the parking lot they paved on Grayson? Was the talk earlier about Nightmare on Grayson just a complaint, or was it about acquiring the property?

It makes sense, though. Especially with Liberty Bar gone now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2010, 5:04 PM

The Pearl Aparmtents and townhomes are up for review again by the HDRC.
The plans have changed; instead of 9 3-story townhomes, they are now 19 apartments for a total of 211 units in the entire project
Also, they made changes to the design of the larger building and it was given final approval.
Quote:
TYPE OF WORK: Demolition & New Construction
REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting Conceptual Approval to demolish an existing residential structure, relocate a residential structure and to construct a multi-story apartment complex.
Pearl Can Plant East Flats project description:
The original design of the Pearl Townhomes consisted of nine three-story townhomes units with motor courts and private garages on the first floor of the buildings. The site design had multiple curb cuts along Avenue A to access the motor courts and the public parking under the highway east of the development. Access to each unit entry was either through the private garages or by small entrances on Avenue A. The original design called for the demolition of the south house on the property and the relocation of the north house to an alternate property off site from the Pearl Brewery. The original design resembled more of a suburban typology that didn’t adequately address the urban context or respond to the development across Avenue A.
Based on the feedback from the HDRC in the conceptual approval submission Lake|Flato and the owners have revised the townhome design to reflect the following changes.
The redesigned, newly renamed Pearl Can Plant EastFlats, are now a 3 story 19 unit dense apartment building incorporating walk up porches along Avenue A. The parking and the motor courts have been removed from the first floor of the buildings and have been relocated to the east side of the development. The relocation of private parking allows all curb cuts to be eliminated allowing a more pedestrian friendly zone along Avenue A. The new design for the public frontage on Avenue A has new private walk up gardens and porches resembling industrial docks with covered awnings. The design still
calls for the south house to be demolished, while the north house will be refurbished and moved 40’ to the north (remaining on the property). By moving the house north it enables the new design to have a landscaped courtyard between the existing north house and new flats. This new design successfully addresses the urban context and the future large apartment complex on the opposite side of Avenue A.
2) The existing residential structure at 604 Avenue A will be relocated to the corner of Ave A and Pearl Parkway.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/...4216e0a3_b.jpg

As you can see, the house is at the beginning of the block on Ave. A.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/...7729691a_b.jpg

Quote:
TYPE OF WORK: Demolition & New Contruction
REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting Certificate of Appropriateness to demolish an existing warehouse and to construct a new 4-story apartment building.
Pearl Can Plant Apartments:
Since the conceptual submission Lake|Flato and the owners have made seriousstrides to address the HDRC comments regarding the Can Plant Apartments. The recommendations from the commission were as follows:

• Eliminate the mansard roof on Avenue A
• Windows should have depth of profile
• Building materials at the corners to be cohesive and wrap around the massing
• New interpretations of traditional building types are permitted

Following our meeting with the city we have addressed all the issues concerning the HDRC’s recommendations. We have eliminated the mansard roof on Avenue A and made the roof a separate attached metal canopy armature. The window depths allow for shadow lines along the facades and details have been provided that illustrate the intent. The exterior building materials are continuous and wrap the corners per individual massing element. We have revised the north elevation to reflect a more industrial character by eliminating excess masonry detailing so as to not detract from original buildings on the Pearl site. We have softened the materials palette along Karnes Avenue to create a more humane and pedestrian friendly streetscape.
2) The existing warehouse will be demolished to accommodate the new construction.
RECOMMENDATION:
Staff recommends final approval of the apartment building which will replace the existing warehouse. Applicant has demonstrated that the windows will have dimension as requested by OHP staff. Design changes to the Karnes Street elevation were based on staff and HDRC comments. The proposed design is in keeping with RIO-2 design principles.
Sec. 35-674. - Building Design Principles When a new building occurs, it should be designed in a manner that reinforces the basic character-defining features of the area. Such features include the way in which a building is located on its site, the manner in which it faces the street and its orientation to the river. When these design variables are arranged in a new building to be similar to those seen traditionally, visual compatibility results. New Interpretations of Traditional Building Types is Permitted.
(b)Mass and Scale. A building should appear to have a "human scale". In general, this scale can be accomplished by using familiar forms and elements interpreted in human dimensions. Exterior wall designs should help pedestrians establish a sense of scale with relation to each building. Articulating the number of floors in a building can help to establish a building's scale, for example, and prevent larger buildings from dwarfing the pedestrian.
A. Treatment of architectural facades should contain a discernable pattern of mass to void, or windows and doors to solid mass. Openings should appear in a regular pattern, or be clustered to form a cohesive design. Architectural elements such as columns, lintels, sills, canopies, windows and doors should align with other architectural features on the adjacent facades.
A. Align at least one (1) horizontal building element with another horizontal building element on the same block face. It will be considered to be within alignment if it is within three (3) feet, measured vertically, of the existing architectural element.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...f18fa8bb_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/...f02c7fc5_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/...90921125_b.jpg
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio