HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:49 PM
Desert Dweller

Vellu, Halvoo is simply spectacular in terms of realism, detail, and size. While I stopped posting on here for a few years, I definitely always checked back in to see what you've done with Halvoo. I'm simply in awe of your layout, the way the roads flow so seamlessly though the city, the beautifully done parks, and those textures! Makes me want to start Staunton all over again (no way in hell that's happening)

I've always neglected the ground detail in my reiterations of Staunton, but seeing how you've done it so flawlessly with Halvoo inspires me to create more realistic street textures for Staunton, refine the layout, and add more flora variety (Staunton literally only has two types of trees). I can't stress enough how much I envy your ability to create such a realistic layout, it's truly inspires me to get back into my Staunton days and finish the fictional city I've always dreamed of.

Keep up the great work, I remember your old cities and it's insane how far your skills have evolved!

P.S. the Kastellitorni is hands down my favorite building so far

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:14 PM

Thanks, Patrick and Swede, your comments are always so motivating!

About the layout, I think it really helped to make the layout look more realistic, when I sketched the historical expansion of the city by making those historical maps. It was extra work, but it was worth it. It think the ground detail is more important in Halvoo than it is in Staunton, as Halvoo is a lot less dense and there's more ground visible. Nordic cities also have a lot of greenery, so it's important for me to use several different tree models to make it look realistic enough.

On to the update...

Halvoo University Central Hospital is the largest and most important hospital in Halvoo. The oldest buildings date back to the late 19th century and today they are used mostly for administrative and educational purposes. The main building (the one with the helipad) is from the 1960's.

Section003_pic28 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Section003_pic29 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:02 PM
Desert Dweller

Another beautiful update! I love the little details like the driveway that cuts through the building and leads into the parking lot.

How big is the file size of Havloo if you don't mind me asking? I would love to see a SSP diagram of Havloo's tallest if you are interested in doing that!

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Another beautiful update! I love the little details like the driveway that cuts through the building and leads into the parking lot.

How big is the file size of Havloo if you don't mind me asking? I would love to see a SSP diagram of Havloo's tallest if you are interested in doing that!
Thanks! The file size is 42 MB at the moment. I might do a height diagram if I ever get to model all of Halvoo's tallest that I have planned. The top 2 is still missing. No. 2 will be in the following section 4 but the modelling of the tallest is far away in the future as it is not in the city center.

I've been very busy lately with moving into a new home and renovating it but I managed to squeeze in an update...

The Karjalaidun Church was built in 1928-32. The spire of the bell tower reaches 100 meters and it was the tallest structure in Halvoo for three decades.

Section003_pic30 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Section003_pic31 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:35 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Vellu, wonderful work. How much time did it take you to create the very first image in the first post of this thread? I'm considering using Sketchup to create just a few buildings (about 1/4 of your first photo) so I can create video fly-pasts so I'm curious how much time I'm going to need to spend.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Vellu, wonderful work. How much time did it take you to create the very first image in the first post of this thread? I'm considering using Sketchup to create just a few buildings (about 1/4 of your first photo) so I can create video fly-pasts so I'm curious how much time I'm going to need to spend.
Thanks, DizzyEdge, and apologies for my late reply. The very first scene? I don't remember that well anymore, but I think the modelling took me about 2-3 hours and maybe an hour or two more to find good source material for the textures and to make the textures. So maybe about five hours but could've been more.

I have a kind of bad news for Halvoo. During summer - after watching many YouTube videos about it - I finally started playing Cities: Skylines after thinking about it since it came out. I'm afraid it's a game to my liking, so it means I have lot less time for Halvoo. I try to put some work into it from time to time, but updates will be quite rare for the time being. That said, here IS and update. The third section is nearing completion.

Section003_pic32 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Alttotorni Tower has been completed. It is 115 meters to the roof, which makes it the fifth tallest building in Halvoo.

Section003_pic33 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from north.
Section003_pic34 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:19 AM
YIMBY co-founder

I've tried C:S too, but my laptop isn't built to run that kind of game very well Pretty Sure I'd be drawn in too, otherwise. Finnish games ftw!

That park in the new section looks great. I like how some at the hospital get great views of it, a nice view from your room does help keep you sane if you're staying a while.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 2:08 PM

I've finally completed the third section.

A view from northwest:
Section003_pic35 by Vellu04, on Flickr

From northeast:
Section003_pic36 by Vellu04, on Flickr

From southeast:
Section003_pic37 by Vellu04, on Flickr

From southwest:
Section003_pic38 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Current skyline from southeast:
Section003_pic39 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Skyline from southwest:
Section003_pic40 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 12:54 PM

Working on the fourth section... Kettu Building at the southwest corner of Uudenmaankatu and Nikolainkatu streets is a 98 meters tall highrise completed in 2006. It is the headquarters of the Kettu Investment Group.

Section004_pic01 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Section004_pic02 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:35 PM
Pro Web Slinger

welcome back, the update looks good

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:41 AM

Great to see new stuff! Always makes me happy to see this beautiful city.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 10:31 AM

wow Vellu gj, whats the total polygon number?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywater View Post
wow Vellu gj, whats the total polygon number?
Well I don't know about the real polygon count, but Sketchup's statistics tell me, that the model has 474 939 edges and 155 405 faces.

The previous Halvoo Church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1829. New design for the whole city as well as the new Halvoo Church was drawn by city planner and architect Carl Olof Cederfelt in early 1830's. The new church was completed in 1838. The spire reaches the height of 45 meters and the church was the most dominant building in the city for the remainder of 19th century. Since then it has been overshadowed by taller buildings.

Today it is known as the Halvoo Cathedral.

Section004_pic03 by Vellu04, on Flickr

The high rise clad in red brick in the foreground is Uudenmaankatu 26, a 73 meters tall office building completed in 1979.

Section004_pic04 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 9:01 PM
YIMBY co-founder

The type of church reminds me strongly of a certain church in Helsinki
I really like the open space down to the old harbour, too.

What's the full-block low & old yellowish building? and the one north of the church?

Thought: with a city this size & vibrancy on the Helsinki-Turku line, would upgrades to that line come sooner than IRL? Would it be fully 200+km/h?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The type of church reminds me strongly of a certain church in Helsinki
Yes, the Halvoo Cathedral is from the same era as the Helsinki Cathedral (Helsingin tuomiokirkko) and they're both designed in the neoclassical style. Halvoo Cathedral is even more Empire style than the Helsinki Cathedral and actually it was more inspired by the Lapua Cathedral (also in Finland and from the same period) with its octagonal center tower - although the placement of the church is quite exactly the same as Helsinki Cathedrals. The textures are from Helsinki Old Church.

Quote:
What's the full-block low & old yellowish building? and the one north of the church?
I never really decided their history and original purpose, but I think today the full-block Empire style building could be the City Hall and offices and the building north of the church could be for example Halvoo City Museum. Originally it probably was some kind of governmental building, though.

Quote:
Thought: with a city this size & vibrancy on the Helsinki-Turku line, would upgrades to that line come sooner than IRL? Would it be fully 200+km/h?
I think it's very likely.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 4:58 PM

Here's couple of Halvoo's best known landmarks. First the Central Railway Station. Halvoo's original railway station from the 1890's became very crowded when Halvoo grew quickly in the 1910's and 20's. Planning for a new railway station started in mid 1920's. The building was fully completed and the opening ceremony was held in 1936.

Section004_pic05 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Section004_pic06 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Then there's Halvoontorni, Halvoo's first true skyscraper. Completed in 2007, it is 174 meters tall to the roof (209 meters total to the top of the mast). It was the tallest building in Halvoo from 2007 to 2015. It's still the tallest in the city center and the second tallest in the whole city. Halvoontorni is a mixed-use building with offices, a hotel and apartments in the upper floors.

Section004_pic07 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from the Cathedral Square.
Section004_pic08 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from south.
Section004_pic09 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 8:02 PM

This. Is. Amazing.

Great work, absolutely blown away by the scale and detail of this. Have a few questions.

1) How accurate is the scaling on the buildings? Was it mostly guesswork or did you have a system for measurements?
2) Do you design each building from scratch or do you utilize some sort of starting point, tweaking minor design elements for each building?
3) How do you create a realistic street-feel within your city? Is that all added from rendering?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just feeling very inspired and would love to do something like this for my hometown. If you also have any recommendations for good guides I'd love to check them out.

Again, great work, and looking forward to your next update.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
This. Is. Amazing.

Great work, absolutely blown away by the scale and detail of this. Have a few questions.

1) How accurate is the scaling on the buildings? Was it mostly guesswork or did you have a system for measurements?
2) Do you design each building from scratch or do you utilize some sort of starting point, tweaking minor design elements for each building?
3) How do you create a realistic street-feel within your city? Is that all added from rendering?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just feeling very inspired and would love to do something like this for my hometown. If you also have any recommendations for good guides I'd love to check them out.

Again, great work, and looking forward to your next update.
Thanks! Here's some answers to your questions.
1) I have a system for measurements. It's not totally realistic, but it helps me to work more efficiently.

For most buildings in the city blocks I use a frame depth of 18 meters. It's a couple of meters thicker than usual in real Finnish cities, but I feel it looks more realistic in this model. Some taller, larger buildings have even a bigger frame depth. Once I get out of the city center and to the suburbs, I will make thinner buildings of course.

The textures I have scaled so, that the floor to floor height is 3.5 meters. For modern commercial buildings this should be more to be realistic, but I wanted all buildings to have the same floor height so the distance effect in the renders wouldn't be messed up. As the render engine i use (Twilight Render) is not that good in expressing the depth in model - or the distance of elements from the camera - the buildings with bigger floor to floor height would look like they are closer compared to buildings with lower floor height.

2) Most every building is modeled from scratch. The roof equipment (chimneys, HVAC equipment etc.) are Sketchup components, so them I can just paste on buildings.

3) By "realistic street-feel" you mean those cars and people? They are Sketchup components from the 3D Warehouse I only use in those certain scenes. They are not saved in the main model.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 10:39 AM

Wow Vellu, this looks just awesome.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:45 AM

Wow - Wow - Wow!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup