HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:07 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Based off the architect's work, it will probably be kind of gray with a lot of wood being used in the design.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 3:59 PM

2156 N Williams Ave. - https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/677902

The applicant requests approval of a Conditional Use Review to construct a 61-unit affordable housing building on this site. 32 surface parking spaces and 1 loading space would be provided on the east side of the new building.

Same site as the previously proposed "N Williams Center"...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
2156 N Williams Ave. - https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/677902

The applicant requests approval of a Conditional Use Review to construct a 61-unit affordable housing building on this site. 32 surface parking spaces and 1 loading space would be provided on the east side of the new building.

Same site as the previously proposed "N Williams Center"...
I live literally a few houses down from this.. The neighborhood chatter is that the reason there isn't underground parking is due to the fact that the site is an old battery disposal site and the ground is contaminated down to 40 feet below grade.. Sounds goofy to me. I ascribed it to cost to the developer. At least they're considering a lot on the east side of the building, otherwise the parking situation in the neighborhood would be unbearable.. Glad to see it's affordable housing, I guess? Hmm.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:49 PM

What a disappointment. I know this is affordable housing and it comes with it's own set of challenges, but this just shouldn't be an acceptable standard of construction. This is an all Hardie building with surface parking and does very little to activate the streetscape. Really feels like a bait and switch when you compare it to the renderings used to secure the funding from the city.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:42 PM

Notice of a Type II Decision, denying the Williams and Cook apartments.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 7:41 PM

The Kaven project at Williams/Mason is coming along very nicely. Good to see a tasteful, elegant, materially coherent building going up right there.

Rendering:

The other Kaven project, at Shaver, has just started construction.

Rendering:

Last edited by tworivers; Apr 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
materially coherent
this

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
this
The first building shown is especially attractive

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:33 AM

Lots of activity on N Williams/Vancouver....

4004 & 3956 N Vancouver, Vancouver Ave Apartments - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

4232 N Williams Renovation - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

4018 N Williams, Parallax - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

4075 N Williams, The Williams Project - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

3912 N Vancouver, Brio Lofts - UNDER REVIEW

3185 N Vancouver, Zeal Lofts - DESIGN APPROVED

33 N Fargo - APPEAL REVIEW

3450 N Williams, The Canyons - UNDER REVIEW

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:53 AM
A before E

It is amazing to me how fast that area is becoming an urban district. I feel like a streetcar or something needs to be run up that route.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:19 AM

What made this particular stretch of road so attractive to developers in the first place? Was the land just super cheap ~10 years ago and the projects have been rolling in ever since of what?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
What made this particular stretch of road so attractive to developers in the first place? Was the land just super cheap ~10 years ago and the projects have been rolling in ever since of what?
Honestly in the beginning it was just a prime route worth developing with very little to resist it. I remember thinking 15-17 years ago how I wished I could buy land on that route for this reason because I saw this coming back then. Personally I think the fact that it is a major cyclist route helped a lot because that is a prime clientele for these types of building because who wouldn't want an expensive urban apartment along the route they ride their $2K bike along when the commute. From there it snowballed into a place to be because it now exists.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:55 PM

More development on Williams/Vancouver...

2005 N Williams Ave, Cadence - NEAR COMPLETION

4308 N Gantenbein Ave Townhomes - UNDER REVIEW

3928 N Williams Ave - LAND USE APPROVED
Quote:
Approval of a new development including a new five-story mixed-use building, the renovation of the two-story Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC) building, the creation of a gated new courtyard along N. Williams, two new one-story accessory structures - a new one-story garage and a new trash enclosure, and new surface parking for 5 residential spaces to the east of the buildings.
121 N Beech St - EARLY ASSISTANCE
Quote:
Proposal is for a new 5-story building with retail at ground level and 4 stories of office above. Drywell stormwater system.
24 NE Going (Lightbox Going) - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

3240 N Williams - LAND USE REVIEW PENDING
Quote:
New mixed-use, 4 story building. 12 residential units over ground floor retail and parking.
25 N Fargo St - LAND USE REVIEW PENDING
Quote:
New construction of seven story mixed use building with 101 dwelling units. Incentive zone with affordable units and parking provided though none is required.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Honestly in the beginning it was just a prime route worth developing with very little to resist it. I remember thinking 15-17 years ago how I wished I could buy land on that route for this reason because I saw this coming back then. Personally I think the fact that it is a major cyclist route helped a lot because that is a prime clientele for these types of building because who wouldn't want an expensive urban apartment along the route they ride their $2K bike along when the commute. From there it snowballed into a place to be because it now exists.

Ahhh that makes sense. I forgot about it being a major cycling corridor.

Thanks for the solid updates pdxsg34.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:37 PM

3240 N Williams - pending land use review

Quote:
New mixed-use, 4 story building. 12 residential units over ground floor retail and parking.

Evident Architecture Office (William Neburka, former principal of WPA)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 6:15 AM

WPA + Holst projects at Mississippi/Fremont.

These pics are about a week old. The Holst project is now topped out (an additional story higher than pictured). These projects are a transformative gateway to Mississippi from the south.

Can I just say how much I love WPA?

The ho-hum Studio 3 building on the SE corner, which is still moving along at a snail's pace.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Micro-apartments, with micro-restaurants, coming to North Williams corridor

A Seattle developer is planning two big micro-apartment developments along the North Williams Avenue corridor.

Vibrant Cities says its two buildings -- Brio Lofts at 177 N. Failing St. and Zeal Lofts at 3139 N. Williams Ave. -- will feature apartments that start at 212 square feet and $1,099 a month, including utilities and internet access.

On a per-square-foot basis, it among of the priciest rental housing in the city. But Vibrant Cities chief executive James Wong says it's a new floor for a neighborhood where recently-built studio apartments usually go for hundreds more.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:54 AM

Drawings [26 MB] and memo to the Design Commission for Low Income Single Adult Housing at 2310 N Hunt St.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 11:10 AM

As housing gets more expensive I wonder if such developments may become more common. Co-housing has been around for a very long time. It has not caught on in the US as I would hope. As people become older, having a sort of extended family that are there for small things can keep people independent/safe for a longer period. I really wish my parents and the geriatric population would consider this/be exposed to these ideas more. Mixing students (young) with elderly to me is has the same effect as having a range of abilities in the same classroom at school: it's not simply better for the "disabled," it becomes a learning environment for everyone.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:41 PM

This is a nicely designed set of buildings with a very anti-urban site plan. I hope the city pushes them into a more pedestrian oriented, sidewalk facing scheme. I like the design language they are using but I think it would set an unfortunate precedent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland