HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Those Junior's folks have got to get an award for most foolish business decision of the century. Just look at that. Now they're stuck with a shitty building that apparently can't be redeveloped because of the tower and will look ridiculous and shitty for years to come. Wizards.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:58 PM

See to them though its not shitty, to them its authentic

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
See to them though its not shitty, to them its authentic
I’d say this goes for the vast majority of NYers and visitors to the city tbh. Juniors is the kind of iconic NYC institution that makes people want to come here in the first place, which in turn drives the demand for new towers like this one—and part of the appeal of Junior’s is that it’s still in the original building, however crappy it may be. Plus, had they sold out, we would’ve probably ended up with a much shorter, fatter tower than the slender gem we’re getting. So Junior’s staying where it is is okay with me.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 4:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck5205 View Post
Plus, had they sold out, we would’ve probably ended up with a much shorter, fatter tower than the slender gem we’re getting. So Junior’s staying where it is is okay with me.

Not really. With the site comes a little more development rights, and the footprint is such that you wouldn't necessarily get a squatter tower. They could have gone boxy in either case, but this one was driven more by design.

Had Junior's sold, they were going to have a new home in the development. But as it is now, it will just be surrounded by more retail.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck5205 View Post
I’d say this goes for the vast majority of NYers and visitors to the city tbh. Juniors is the kind of iconic NYC institution that makes people want to come here in the first place, which in turn drives the demand for new towers like this one—and part of the appeal of Junior’s is that it’s still in the original building, however crappy it may be. Plus, had they sold out, we would’ve probably ended up with a much shorter, fatter tower than the slender gem we’re getting. So Junior’s staying where it is is okay with me.
Agree with you on the general point, and in many cases the restaurant/business is 100% tied to the building they are in, (think mcsorleys, keens, el quijote, katz's).

Maybe its just my ambivalence to Juniors, or the fact that they're opening restaurants all over but I'm not wed to them in that building, they could have reopened in a redesigned space in the same location.

But really I don't have such a huge problem with the building so much as I find that billboard on top obnoxious..
---
I actually think it'd be very cool to have some kind of old fashioned lit letter sign on top of juniors. Think the 'Kentile Floors', 'Pepsi-cola', 'essex house' sign - Looking over that prominent intersection.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:10 AM
Walk taker

Since we're all chiming in; I'd never heard of Junior's until I'd lived in NYC a good 4 years or so. It certainly wasn't known where I grew up in MD. I've never loved that building...

Last edited by RobEss; May 26, 2018 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:22 AM

thanks for that huge clear rendering on may 18th . .
(provided by NYguy) . .
the slight sexy deco setbacks up the sides are magnificent . .
and thank God in heaven forever,
for that irregular spikey Gotham crown !!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 3:11 AM
BANNED

The conventional option would have been trash. I'm glad the people behind this tower have some understanding of design bringing business to a location. Unlike some developers who value-engineer their product and it ends up being hated decades later.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:05 PM

Build it Build it Build it! My favorite in NYC.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:53 PM
Mr. Technology

Agreed.
This tower anchors Brooklyn and compliments the entire skyline (Jersey City included).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:39 PM
Ω

It's so crazy that the best new tower is going to be built in Brooklyn!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:33 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It's so crazy that the best new tower is going to be built in Brooklyn!
Hey, why not Brooklyn?
Each borough should have complimentary skylines, IMO.

Brooklyn is famous for many things, from the Brooklyn Bagel to Nathan’s hot dogs to 9 DeKalb!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 11:32 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Hey, why not Brooklyn?
Each borough should have complimentary skylines, IMO
Meanwhile, Staten Island can't even get a Ferris Wheel built

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:02 AM
Mr. Technology

Thanks for the humor!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:57 PM
West End & Riverside

Fantastic news guys, I just walked by the site and saw a bunch of guys with "JDS" hardhats on so I chatted them up. According to them this is now full steam ahead! Phase one is done, partial demolition on the bank and stabilization of its walls, phase two is about to begin, the demolition of the remaining building on site. Phase three is excavation and building the tower, which they expect to start on by the middle of next month. They all seemed quite proud to be working on this one and were eager to chat.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloper View Post
Fantastic news guys, I just walked by the site and saw a bunch of guys with "JDS" hardhats on so I chatted them up. According to them this is now full steam ahead! Phase one is done, partial demolition on the bank and stabilization of its walls, phase two is about to begin, the demolition of the remaining building on site. Phase three is excavation and building the tower, which they expect to start on by the middle of next month. They all seemed quite proud to be working on this one and were eager to chat.

My prayers have been answered. Thanks for the update!!!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:30 PM
West End & Riverside

They also said the delays were all due to DOB and construction logistics, but that the big picture has been worked out. It should rise rather quickly once they get underway due to the (relatively) small floor plates.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

Fuck yeah! About time, I was getting nervous this one wasn't going to get built.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:22 AM
Mr. Technology

This good news deserves some renders to remind everyone why we are all excited for this!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 4:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Flashbush is an experience. Has become a corridor that is a pleasure to drive down (when traffic is not insane like it usually is) and is quite an urban corridor if you will. If you want a good idea of what I mean, start at Grand Army Plaza, and drive down Flatbush. Get onto the extension and take the Manhattan Bridge down into Canal. Feels like a whole new city in the last 5 years. The amount of pedestrian traffic has really increased too. I recommend doing about 29 mph when the light turns green (not 25 but 29). I find that speed is ideal to beat the synchronized lights, meaning if done right, everytime you enter the box, the light will turn yellow, and it repeats as you go down the various blocks.

Or alternatively, walk the avenue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture