HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
If these students were really concerned about access for the less fortunate, they would accept the tuition increases and be protesting demanding increased need-based grants/bursaries so that lower income students would be able to afford university.
Yes. The majority of them understand this, but are reluctant to cope with any government move. Believe it or not a third of this increase is going to exactly what you mention, improved loans and bursaries. Sadly there is a lot of indoctrination in this particular segment of Quebec society, and many students are convinced the hike makes things less just rather than more. Meanwhile miners up north making 100,000$ a year working their butts off, who've got nothing to do with universities, give 50,000$ of their salary every year to fund them (along with other services they probably don't use).

We're very, let's say, ''romantic'' in our views. It hasn't payed off that much in recent years...

See Vaillant's last post.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
yeah we also manage our own taxes with Quebec Revenu and also with immigration with Quebec immigration... and we also pay more than 8B$ in taxes to the federal government! But I guess you cannot think much cause you are a cowboy who live in Calgary and just think about dirty oil money!
By your response, it is obvious that I can think much more clearly than you (and don't rely on cheap insults) and have a much clearer grasp of the real world.

I am not a cowboy, in fact I have never riden a horse. I am a PM for IT projects, primarily for Emergency Deparment systems, EMS dispatch and province wide emergent physician referrals and patients repatriations, with an M.Sc, in IT and almost 40 years in IT in 3 different provinces.

Yes, Quebec may pay $8B in taxes, but Quebec gets $8B in transfer payments, way beyond any other province, primarily due to the business success in the west. Alberta (where, by the way I do not live now) pays about $8B more into the federal coffers that it get back (ie $0 back in transfer payments, unlike Quebec).

PS: Have you heard about dirty asbestos and the peolpe it is killing in third world countries? Please do some research and you will see that the student tuitions in the rest of Canada are far greater than in Quebec, primarily due to the huge transfer payments to Quebec from the rest of Canada.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos