HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:52 AM

222 South Main - Today's Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychokiller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

Very nice updates. I can't wait to get down there for my weekly photos. I am going down there Friday evening to grab some shots this time. Quite the changes in a week.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 12:34 PM

222 South Main Update Pics - by T-Mac

Quote:
Photos from this evening. There is lots of steel on the block.

T-Mac

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 3:56 PM

Salt Lake City - Downtown - Updates by T-Mac

Quote:
Pictures from this morning of some downtown projects.

LDS Church History Library

The Metro

500 S 500 E
The Huntington Condos

300 South Building Renovation
What do you guys think? I don't think I like it very much.

Possible Home to Broadway Style Theater

Very exciting group of pics this morning T-Mac. Wow, the closer this library gets to completion the more I'm liking it. I'm liking it alot infact! The high quality stone, the close street proximity, the elegant corner design, and the stepped back top make for a beautiful statement at that corner. Also, some great pics of the Metro. In addition, seeing the possible corner location for the new Theatre has me very excited. I love that as a location!!

Big improvement, to think that this was recently just another ugly parking lot.

All Pics by T-Mac

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:02 PM

Latest News on Gehry Project.

Frank Gehry Project

Frank Gehry Project
...We have bought a building that will become the new headquarters for the Flash. To be announced-but it is a building everyone in this area knows. I am working with a very interesting up and coming architect that is connected to the Gehry/Lehi Development to make it something special (name to be announced). Details to come later in the summer...

Among many prototype massing models for Gehry Project at Traverse Ridge, Lehi

Other Projects:

We are in a tough market right now. Although we have almost completed the designs for the Iconic buildings in the Lehi project I am hesitant to show our work. News of "grand" Real Estate projects is quickly followed by skepticism. In this market I get it. There is not much institutional money out there for great ideas that are not backed with strong financial plans. Look at the projects that are being put on hold-look at the projects that are going bankrupt. I know very few companies related to the RE industry that are not a day or two away from going out of business. Here is the thing, those who survive will be richly rewarded. It is always the story. A tough market weeds out those who should have never been there in the first place.

The Lehi Project is different. We have been careful and have taken the steps to ensure long-term success. When we do unveil the new designs we intend to bring out all of our study models. You may be surprised to see the volume of studies. Above you will see a sneak peak at just a fraction of the number of physical model studies that have been completed.

We are getting close on several high-profile tenants that I believe will just add to the class of the development. I am anxious to show the plans-Frank can't wait to show these plans. I am convinced that the work and reconfiguring we have done is going to pay dividends. I believe it will bring people to the State. They will say I went and stayed at the Frank Gehry development in Lehi.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 1:25 PM

City Creek Updates - by T-Mac

Quote:
Downtown again this morning so I grabbed a few more shots from different angles and some action shots. Enjoy.

I forgot one from last night.

The Silhouettes
T-Mac

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:40 PM
Lurking Fish

Great shots!!! Keep up the good work .

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 1:52 AM

Count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Latest News on Gehry Project.

Frank Gehry Project

Frank Gehry Project
...We have bought a building that will become the new headquarters for the Flash. To be announced-but it is a building everyone in this area knows. I am working with a very interesting up and coming architect that is connected to the Gehry/Lehi Development to make it something special (name to be announced). Details to come later in the summer...

Among many prototype massing models for Gehry Project at Traverse Ridge, Lehi

Other Projects:

We are in a tough market right now. Although we have almost completed the designs for the Iconic buildings in the Lehi project I am hesitant to show our work. News of "grand" Real Estate projects is quickly followed by skepticism. In this market I get it. There is not much institutional money out there for great ideas that are not backed with strong financial plans. Look at the projects that are being put on hold-look at the projects that are going bankrupt. I know very few companies related to the RE industry that are not a day or two away from going out of business. Here is the thing, those who survive will be richly rewarded. It is always the story. A tough market weeds out those who should have never been there in the first place.

The Lehi Project is different. We have been careful and have taken the steps to ensure long-term success. When we do unveil the new designs we intend to bring out all of our study models. You may be surprised to see the volume of studies. Above you will see a sneak peak at just a fraction of the number of physical model studies that have been completed.

We are getting close on several high-profile tenants that I believe will just add to the class of the development. I am anxious to show the plans-Frank can't wait to show these plans. I am convinced that the work and reconfiguring we have done is going to pay dividends. I believe it will bring people to the State. They will say I went and stayed at the Frank Gehry development in Lehi.

Delts:

If the hotel in this project gets built, I will fly out the first week it is open and stay there, just to say exactly what you said above (as well as see friends and family). I wish everyone in the project success. Now if you can figure out how to tone down the wind in the Traverse Ridge area, you will have completed a second miracle, with just one more to go before Sainthood.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:13 PM

Building a tower - Steel work begins on 222 South Main in downtown SLC

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...225327,00.html

Audio Slideshow:

http://www.deseretnews.com/photo/sli...7,5007,00.html

Okland Construction workers begin placing steel sections for the 22-story 222 South Main Street tower, which will change the skyline of downtown Salt Lake. (Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News)

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:19 AM

Today's Updates - by SLC Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Photos of Steel work at 222 South Main

This could be the Main Lobby right here.

SLC Projects

Moving right along....

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:20 AM

What a hoot!

Projects: Seeing the pictures of the steel rising a 222 S. Main is a hoot! I remember dragging my kids to the Judge Cafe on Saturdays for lunch just to check on the progress of the American Stores Tower (now Wells Fargo). Both of my kids are now in college. It's been a long time coming.

I cannot wait to be in SLC the first week in June. Maybe the steel at Tower #1 at CCC will be rising by then. Thank you.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Birkhill @ Fireclay Photo update May 12th 2008

Looking South on Main Street in Murray ( "David Town" as what people are now calling it ) with the 4-story Fireclay building to the right and with the 15-story IHC Tower in the back ground.

This is the only building so far.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I wounder how many buildings the Fireclay project can built right now due to the slowing housing market? When I was there taking photos these guys were only working on ONE building. I think this project will be in phases since the over all project will have about 5-6 buildings. I really like this project and hope this project can do alright with selling these units.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Broadway Park Lofts Update!!!

New Trax Line at Gateway Photos!

Trax stop at the gateway, how cool is that.

Go Jazz!!!
Beat those Lakers

Last edited by delts145; May 15, 2008 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 1:47 PM

Sugar House developer promises site cleanup

The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/15/2008 12:15:22 AM MDT

A Sugar House developer has pledged to immediately clean up its debris pile at the Granite Block construction site and replace a stolen fence to secure the area. Mecham Investments, which is redeveloping the corner of 2100 South and Highland Drive, then will submit a timeline for the remainder of the demolition - including how to solve a shared-wall conundrum - as well as a construction plan, according to the Salt Lake City Mayor's Office. A representative from Mecham Investments confirmed the plan, which was brokered Wednesday during a meeting with the city's building director, a planner and an attorney. As a result, the city has agreed not to seize Mecham's $20,000 bond to help pay for landscaping on the property. The city initially reported the bond value at $100,000, but corrected that figure Wednesday. Demolition at the Granite Block halted in February due to a shared wall between Mecham's former Blue Boutique structure and a building at 1074 S. 2100 South. Last week, city officials sent Mecham a letter noting landscaping for the dirt crater was to commence April 30. The letter threatened forfeiture of the bond and potential legal action. Now, it appears, the parties are willing to work out a solution. Mecham's timeline and construction plan are expected by week's end, said the Mayor's Office. - Derek P. Jensen

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:38 PM

Mass transit
UTA contracts for 77 light-rail cars, options 180 more
Request is the largest-ever order for transit cars from Siemens' plant in Sacramento

New Trax Line at Gateway Photos! by SLC Projects

Trax stop at the gateway, how cool is that.

The New Siemens-S70 arriving soon in Salt Lake City

Utah's rail revolution is about to power up with a massive train order, accelerating the program to a pace unseen at any American transit agency.
The light-rail system that started in 1999 and now runs 69 electric rail cars just ordered 77 new ones, with an option for many more. The initial order is for $277 million with Siemens, and breaks that company's record for the largest-ever light-rail vehicle order, the company will announce today.
It's far larger than Siemens' last order, a 55-car batch for Denver.
The Germany-based corporation builds rail cars in Sacramento, Calif.
"This is a large order," Utah Transit Authority spokeswoman Carrie Bohnsack-Ware acknowledged. "However, many agencies that are experiencing high growth on their systems have larger orders. . . .This is, however, Siemens' largest single order out of their Sacramento facility."
The purchase is part of UTA's "Frontlines 2015" program extending TRAX light rail from downtown to Salt Lake City International Airport and from the Salt Lake-Sandy rail line to West Jordan, West Valley City and Draper. The program and the rail cars are funded 80 percent through local sales taxes and 20 percent by the federal government.
Siemens' news release about the contract lists an option for 180 more rail cars, though UTA General Manager John Inglish said the agency most likely won't use that many. It's common practice to secure more than needed at a good bulk price, he said, then offer the excess to another transit system that needs the cars. That's how UTA bought its first light-rail cars, on an option from San Diego's system, he said.
"I'm not sure why we have an option for 180. Wishful thinking, maybe," Inglish said. "We probably will always order more than we need, in order to get a good buy."
UTA will need the initial 77 cars and more to operate the four new rail lines, though, he said. And Bohnsack-Ware said the option gives UTA wiggle room if the rider response is bigger than expected, as was the case when TRAX first opened.
"If we see this huge crush of riders like we did on the Sandy-Salt Lake line and we need to buy more, then we can," she said.
UTA is scheduled to break ground on the new Mid-Jordan TRAX line today.
Siemens built 40 of the cars already in use on TRAX. They're the newer, sleeker cars as opposed to used cars purchased from other agencies. The new order is for Siemens' S-70, a more rounded model used in San Diego, Houston and Charlotte, N.C. It's also more accessible for those with disabilities because its floor aligns with the station platforms, eliminating the stairwells, Bohnsack-Ware said.
"Winning the Salt Lake City UTA contract demonstrates the confidence our customers have in Siemens and our products well into the future and further enables us to reinforce our long-term commitment to the riding public," Siemens Transportation Systems CEO Oliver Hauck said in a statement. The company has grown its Sacramento work force by 30 percent in the past two years.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 3:32 AM

Stunning Museum To Break Ground In Salt Lake City

Rendering Link:

http://www.umnh.utah.edu/presskit

Well, It looks like Salt Lake City is gaining another architectural landmark. This is fantastic! Very exciting. This will be a great project to follow in the forum.

I liked this description of the exterior materials,

Through its forms and materials, the building is conceived as an abstract extension and transformation of the land. Its material quality roots the building in the landscape by recalling Utah’s geological and mineralogical history and expressing the design as natural form. Board-formed concrete at the base makes the transition from the earth to the manmade. Copper panels constitute the skin of the building extending from the building’s volume at angles that reference the geophysical processes that created the metal. The importance of this precious metal throughout human history makes powerful connections to the narrative and educational mission of the museum, and the site’s proximity to the Kennecott Copper Mine across the valley and the use of this local material reinforces the museum’s connection to its context. The standing seam copper façade is articulated in horizontal bands of various heights to emulate geological stratification on the building skin. Small amounts of copper alloys, such as copper-zinc and copper-tin, enhance the subtle variegation of the copper’s natural patina. Combined in a dynamic interplay with the concrete of the building’s base, these materials display the character of the museum from all vantage points, visible not only from the main building approach, but from the hiking trails above the city below.

updated Trib. article

Architect Todd Schliemann designs landmark museum for Utah

Kennecott donates $15 million to Utah Museum of Natural History
By Brian Maffly
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/15/2008 05:35:52 PM MDT

When he set out in search of inspiration and ideas from which to design a landmark museum for Utah, architect Todd Schliemann criss-crossed the state in a Jeep, examining the landscapes and cultures defining Utah's sense of place.
"What struck me most of all is the land itself is architectural: the color, the texture, the scale and the way light over time affects its massing and presence," said Schliemann, a partner in the New York City firm Polshek Partnership Architects. The fruits of his investigation will be a copper-sheathed museum terraced in three levels into a shoreline bench where the waves of an ancient lake once lapped against the Wasatch foothills behind Salt Lake City.
"It's a metaphor for the land," the architect said at a ceremony Thursday attended by top University of Utah administrators, as well as academic and community leaders. Schliemann pulled the veil from a scaled model of the Utah Museum of Natural History's future home, sparking a round of applause and a few "ahhhs." Groundbreaking on the $100 million project is scheduled for July 29 and completion of the 160,000-square-foot structure is expected by the beginning of 2011.
Officials also announced a $15 million gift from Kennecott Utah Copper, a major mining concern with a long-standing ties to the museum and the author of the world's largest mineral excavation across the valley at Bingham
Canyon.
"Not only will it help the Utah Museum of Natural History build its beautiful new facility, but it will benefit all Utahns by supporting the museum's educational mission throughout the state," said U. President Michael Young.
The new building will be named after Kennecott's corporate parent. London-based Rio Tinto maintains a global reach as a leading producer of copper, iron, aluminum and other industrial metals.
"Through this partnership, we will continue to introduce youth to careers in the natural sciences," Kennecott CEO Andrew Harding said. "We also hope to expose people to mining and show them how it is important to modern life."
The Kennecott gift brings total fund-raising on the project to $81 million, enough to put up the building, which recently won a $25 million appropriation from the Legislature.
The selection of the site, just south of Red Butte Garden, was not popular among nature lovers who opposed the sacrifice of cherished open space along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. But the 17-acre site is the last of three undeveloped lots in Research Park and would likely become the site of a corporate building had the museum not claimed it, proponents say.
"With the new design we're allowing people to connect with the wild lands backed up against the heritage preserve," museum director Sarah George said. The museum aims for gold-certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design by minimizing its footprint, water use and energy needs.

Utah Museum of Natural History's new home

Name: The Rio Tinto Center
Where: Just south of Red Butte Gardens in Research Park
Cost: $100 million
Funds raised so far: $81 million
Size: 160,000 square feet
Groundbreaking: July 29
Completion: Early 2011
Designers: Polshek Partnership Architects, New York City GSBS Architects, Salt Lake City
Contractor: Big D Construction, Salt Lake City.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 12:09 PM

Museum to mimic Utah's landscape

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...226474,00.html

An artist's conception depicts the west elevation of the new Utah Museum of Natural History. (Polshek Partnership Architects LLP And GSBS Architects)

The new Utah Museum of Natural History at the Rio Tinto Center will be nestled along the shoreline of the ancient Lake Bonneville in the University of Utah's Research Park. It is intended to mimic the landscape. Construction begins this summer.

Polshek Partnership Architects LLP of New York City and Salt Lake City-based Gillies Stransky Brems Smith Architects are hoping the facility they have designed will have minimal disruptions to the natural environment — while still preserving popular running and hiking trails nearby.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 8:35 PM

A great legacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Museum to mimic Utah's landscape

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...226474,00.html

An artist's conception depicts the west elevation of the new Utah Museum of Natural History. (Polshek Partnership Architects LLP And GSBS Architects)

The new Utah Museum of Natural History at the Rio Tinto Center will be nestled along the shoreline of the ancient Lake Bonneville in the University of Utah's Research Park. It is intended to mimic the landscape. Construction begins this summer.

Polshek Partnership Architects LLP of New York City and Salt Lake City-based Gillies Stransky Brems Smith Architects are hoping the facility they have designed will have minimal disruptions to the natural environment — while still preserving popular running and hiking trails nearby.

Delts: What a wonderful project and a great legacy Rio Tinto is helping fund. I was once told that anything that exists in geology can be found within 200 miles of Salt Lake City. The building looks like a great showcase for all of Mother Nature's wonders.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Here's a photo from today of the newest Gateway building plus a little bonus shot.

T-Mac

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 1:11 PM

Downtown Updates - by T-Mac

Quote:
Social Hall Block

Before

The building is all gone now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations